is the D7000 worth buying?

Comments

• tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Regarding that film has more resolution than digital, I don't think that's true any more.  Note it's not just how many pixels there are, noise also factors into resolution.  After all, it's how many lines that you can resolve.  Just because one can scan 3000 dpi on a slide doesn't mean it can resolve as high.  If there are any resolution benefit of film over digital at this time, you would imagine someone would still be using it in a commercial setup even in a niche situation.

• ThechemistThechemist Posts: 2Member

I'd like to echo getting a used or refurb D7000 now. I upgraded from my D5000 only a month ago, but the D7000 was well under half the price that I expect the D7x00 to come in for here in the UK.

Get the D7000 now, and get out and take photos - what price do you put on missed shots of your six year old!
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    If you're on a budget,yes.  A used D7000 can be had for $700 or less.  Remember, when the D7200 comes out, it will be atleast $1200, and the price of that won't budge for atleast a year after it's released. 
  • chrisjakeschrisjakes Posts: 43Member
    hmm this thread almost has me convinced to just buy the D7000 body now instead of waiting.........
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Eh?  Why 'almost'?

Just look through PAD to see excellent images taken with a D40.  By it's very nature this forum will attract gearheads,but we should remember that the latest camera will not make a poor image a good one.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    ;spraynpray

How true "the latest camera will not make a poor image a good one."
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2013
    Its true that new doesnt mean better with cameras. Its b/c I'm always thinking in terms of computers where newer IS better.  i've been looking at the D7000 for about 4 months now so its time to get it and get used to it.  Also this will space out any purchasing of lenses i need to do in the next 3 months.

also weighing benefits of "the newest" versus time with the new camera spent learning........
    Post edited by chrisjakes on
  • narmi47narmi47 Posts: 5Member
    i'm going for the D7000, cant really justify the extra £$ for the extra features that may be.
    D7000 is already a great camera.
  • ShantoBalokShantoBalok Posts: 0Member
    Im a Nikon fan!
    But after seeing a lot negative topic about Nikon D7000 im really confused about its durability but not about image quality. Shutter fail,Back focus problem is common of them. :(

I'd rather buy Nikon D300s or Canon 7D.
  • ShantoBalokShantoBalok Posts: 0Member
    I really love Nikon but after seeing a lot of topic about shutter fail and back focus problem of Nikon D7000 can't recommend this. :(
    rather i would say go for D300s or Canon 7D.
    Shutter fail? :-/ If it is such a problem, how come there hasn't been a single posting on that here? :-?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    This would be the first post I've read about a shutter failure problem with the D7000. That is out side of the fact that any camera with a physical shutter can suffer a failure of that mechanism.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited January 2013
    :^o
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I have owned a very lot of expensive cameras. Many of the lens cost well over what a D800 goes for with an FX lens. The current B&H Photo and Video offering of a D7000 and 18-200VR lens which I have had great luck with in field action shots looks like a great deal. The inclusion of a batch of unwanted items in the package alone has kept me from buying and one other factor.....I currently don't have a burning need for one more D7000 and 18-200VR lens. But I am frequently using D90 or D300 which although pretty good are not as capable as the D7000. But the upcoming D7200 with Expeed 3 processing, etc. does keep me from buying the D7000 as a second one while waiting for this insufferable how good is a D9000 or a D7200 compared to what the D7000 is now. MY BENCHMARK in camera quality is simply put D7000. One note.....an announcement in February means how many months of waiting and what then is the price. It is almost as simple as the old saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Shutter fail? Ive probably Done about 200,000 shots on mine and it still is going... fired 3000 shots last Saturday alone (Models+$10,000 Bases oh what fun). As to the 7D Iv'e had 3 fail on me and I've never even owned one!

As to the press pass I would totally wear a shirt like that (even tho I have an official press badge)
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • afrogeezafrogeez Posts: 3Member
    I was waiting for the new one but realising it would cost £1200+ I decided on getting the D7000 instead for £529 with 1 year replacement warranty from Panamoz (body only). It only arrived yesterday morning but it seems good so far, and the money saved can be used to get a decent lens. (Was an upgrade from D5000).

It's a bargain for a decent camera really. Feels nice and solid compared to my old one, and so many buttons!
    'Grats afrogeez, you got a great camera at a great price. I've had mine a year now and I love it.
    Always learning.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Okay, count me in too. Just placed my order for a D7000 refurb, mostly due to reading this great thread. Not seeing any news for CES, knowing a D7200 would be $1200-ish USD. Knowing that it's a huge upgrade from my D60. If I really like the D7200 when it finally does reach daylight, I could sell the D7000 when D7200's hit the refurb marketplace.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • sma11frysma11fry Posts: 3Member
    The only things I can say after 18months of D7000 ownership are:
    1' At first it was too easy to screw up the settings and miss pictures.
    2. Now I shoot raw, try to make sure I am in the middle of the histogram, on an ISO that isn't too noisy, and do everything else in Photoshop. For all it's features, I wish the image satabilisation was in the camera like the Pentax, so all the old nikon glass I collected in the hope of going full frame would benefit. (probably why Nikon don't)
    3. Cleaning the sensor has become habit I change lenses a lot, isn't hard and at 17000 shutter count doesn't seem to be suffering for it.
    4. The AF dodgy happened on a plastic 18-105 and a friends 55-300 on a D3100 and my D7000. No problems with any D or E series lenses so contact problems are the most likely cause, the AF works fine with a wiggle.

Would I buy one today? Without the Lenses I collected, no I'd get the K5 Mk1...K-mount and M42 Lenses are peanuts compared to Nikkor, and if you don't mind getting rid of a Magenta Hue and adding a little yellow (no not that ghastly mess canon insist on saddling their pictures with) You can get some real stars, not least Leica Lenses and benefit from IS.
    Ordered mine today. Had to use those gift cards from xmas :)
    Okay, count me in too. Just placed my order for a D7000 refurb, mostly due to reading this great thread. Not seeing any news for CES, knowing a D7200 would be $1200-ish USD. Knowing that it's a huge upgrade from my D60. If I really like the D7200 when it finally does reach daylight, I could sell the D7000 when D7200's hit the refurb marketplace.
    So you will be fed-up enough with a fully sorted camera to play the 'new model issues lotto' by then eh? :P
    Always learning.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Heheheh, nice. NO! I will be very happy with the D7000 and no longer troll photog forums.

Seriously though. It'd be forever before I felt comfortable with the beta D7200 or whatever it'll be called, given the history of the D800/D600 first production runs. My patience ran out when CES announcements had nothing - facing maybe February rumors, March announcement if lucky, April shipping, first reviews and reports of xyz issues, May silence from Nikon about any issues, June initial reports of repairs being recognized/performed, July general acceptance of issues, August reports of production runs being free of xyz issues. September is a long way off! So I'll happily shoot the D7000 in the meantime... maybe for many more years.

...then again, the D3200 seems have had a relatively clean launch...
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • fotomkfotomk Posts: 3Member
    I just bought a d7000 two weeks ago.
    I waited all last year for the supposed upgrade that never came.
    the hell with waiting..specially when I got a brand new 7000 for $740 from the store.

I'm still half way through the manual and there is so much to learn and play with.
    I could care less what comes out in 2 weeks/months/quarters..

the best camera is the one you have.
    I'll eventually upgrade anyway.
    d7000 all the way.
  • BrainBeatBrainBeat Posts: 54Member
    After reading all above I am still thinking I might wait and see what the specs are for the d7x00. I have been only looking to get a new body the last 2 months or so and while the d7000 looks good I am hoping its replacement might be even better. I currently have a D5000 and am mostly an event photographer (taking photos of people mostly dinners) but have had to take a few concerts at some schools last year (the reason why I am looking at new equipment). I have a Sigma 17-50 2.8 and a 55-200 kit lens. I am either looking to get the 7000 now as it has better low light than what I have, get a 70-200 2.8 from sigma ( the Nikon one is too expensive for me for now and I hear the Sigma is nearly as good and would match my current Sigma nicely) or get nothing now and just wait a while and see if the d7x00 is announced or get a gray import d600.

I am in not huge hurry to get anything new as my d5000 is still going fine and does the events well. I am not expecting to do any events where I would need the better low light performance from either the lens or a new body for a few months still.

For me the cheapest price I can get a d7000 in Australia would be $828 (shipped) and that is a gray import and the best official version costing $1200+. This in a way worries me that A) we are being ripped off in Australia (which we always seem to be for technology) and B) That the 7x00 will likely be $1700+ at launch (which I could get a gray import D600 for)
    You Aussies are always ripped off for stuff. I see lots of posts like yours for various things all say the same.

Take another look at KnockKnock's post - that is a very likely scenario, not a rant. Doubtless the D7x00 will be a super camera when sorted - are you feelin' lucky? I don't let baseless optimism get ahead of logic so if I do upgrade next time, it will not be for two years from now and only if the nex one is amazing and not just a normal incremental upgrade like the D5200 seems to be so far.
    Always learning.