What happens when you send a camera to Nikon for Repair

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    It was Nikon, not the repair guys selling you a bad cam. I try - as long as possible - to keep the difference in mind between the mothership and the service people. Also, I try to remain nice, even if my blood pressure suggests a little bit rampaging to relief myself. But contrary to the mothership, I frequently need the service guys.

For the new D810, however, I'll pay a bit more and get it form a dealer offering a free spare camera for the repair time. That's more worth than saving 50 bucks. But you're travelling so often... I guess, you've already international NPS membership? Then try to break the camera in better service regions.
  • RussRuss Posts: 12Member
    Hi PB_PM.
    Thanks for your comment. The quiet motor will take some getting used to.I put the lens on a tripod and took some shots - great. Hand held, I have to shoot at about 1/125th of a second.
    @PitchBlack Did I miss a point? I'm NPS member, but sponsoring? My employer had to confirm I'm working at least half the time as photographer and that was it. Don't trust them? Nikon? Why not? Or what can they do worse to you than let you wait?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2014
    @PitchBlack Did I miss a point? I'm NPS member, but sponsoring? My employer had to confirm I'm working at least half the time as photographer and that was it...
    You wouldn't qualify here, being only part time. Many national branches require NPS members to have corporate or other NPS members sponsor their application, to prove that the person applying is a full time working professional.

https://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/8133/~/nps-membership-in-canada
    "Nikon Professional Services is available only to FULL-TIME professional photographers."
    So keep in mind that NPS requirements are different from country to country.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Switzerland is a small country, but a lot of people can afford high quality lenses/cameras. Whenever I go to whatever event, the gear I see is very decent. Photo dealers have great gear on display, even in small cities.

And given the care people take to keep their investments shiny and the lack of catastrophes and wars, the stuff doesn't need to go to service often. I guess, therefore they lower the bar.

However, they do make a difference between NPS Switzerland and NPS international. For the latter the requirements are higher.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    edited August 2014
    Reading all the stories and dreading sending my 14-24mm in to replace the outer housing. Yep, I dropped it and broke the housing. The bulbous front glass is fine and even continues to work fine but I won't use it for fear of water/dust contamination. Nikon's estimate for repair, $518.00. If it wasn't such an expensive and fantastic lens, I'd just tape it up and continue to use.
    Post edited by autofocus on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @autofocus: Don't worry, just send it in. If it takes a month, it takes a month. You aren't using it now so what's the difference?

$518 - ouch!
    Always learning.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Been going on two weeks since I send my D800 in for a left-focus repair. Still has a "parts hold." I was hoping to get it back before my next big overseas shoot, but it doesn't look like that will be the case. Fun.
    Bad deal. I've had good results with D800s at the LA repair site until I completely trashed one. But my Df experience was not good: three weeks for a simple part (battery door.) I'm in a business where much of my day is dedicated to making sure my customers are making money with their gear, and that means I have parts flying all over the world almost every day to keep everyone's systems going. I don't know why Nikon takes so long to get parts.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2014

I don't know why Nikon takes so long to get parts.
    Most of the repairs I've had with long delays were products that were made in Japan. Not all, but most. Repairs also seem to be longer during July, August and September. That sounds normal in some regards, since people tend to break things more often around holidays, leading to increased volume.

Any parts that need to come from Japan directly also seem to take forever. It is as if Nikon only put parts on ships, rather than air transport.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Well earlier this week I filled out the information to send my D7100, in warranty, to Nikon Service in LA, California to have them check the AF system and I included my 17-55mm, out of warranty, I have also asked them to perform the AF Fine Tune with the body and lens. Will see how this goes.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • fred333fred333 Posts: 1Member
    It was Nikon, not the repair guys selling you a bad cam. I try - as long as possible - to keep the difference in mind between the mothership and the service people. Also, I try to remain nice, even if my blood pressure suggests a little bit rampaging to relief myself.
    I never try to remain nice in this case (it is dangerous!)
    Nikon received my D7100 & 17-55 F2.7 lens on August 28th. I sent them to the LA service center to have the AF system checked due to soft focus/out of focus issues and to have them preform the AF Fine Tune and save the settings for me.

Received two emails today, 9/3/14, they are going to check the D7100 under warranty - a B2 service rank. The bad news, the 17-55mm is out of warranty so I expected a charge. Looks like a C service rank at $375...ouch. I approved the repair of the lens and now waiting to see how long the repair takes.

I have also followed up with customer service and they have been prompt with their replies. Sure hope they tell me what the AF issue was. The reason for service was zoom zoom stiff sticks. I did asked for clarification.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I had the same service done on my 17-55 when I bought it used - not cheap.
    Always learning.
    This lens is a solid rock and I have never had an issue with it. Did you have the same soft focus out of focus issue with your 17-55 or some other issue?
    This lens is a solid rock and I have never had an issue with it. Did you have the same soft focus out of focus issue with your 17-55 or some other issue?
    Just sent it in for CLA but they found an issue with the zoom mechanism. The cost was $300-ish. #-o
    Always learning.
    edited September 2014
    Update on my D7100 & 17-55mm lens. This was my original post:
    Well earlier this week I filled out the information to send my D7100, in warranty, to Nikon Service in LA, California to have them check the AF system and I included my 17-55mm, out of warranty, I have also asked them to perform the AF Fine Tune with the body and lens. Will see how this goes.

Issue: I had experienced some soft focus and out of focus pictures on vacation. Here is my experience:
    Sent my body and lens on August 22, 2014 via UPS to Nikon's LA service center
    Nikon received package on August 28, morning
    Nikon advised on 9/3 that that they would check the AF system under warranty and perform a Service Repair Rank B2.
    Nikon advised on 9/3 that there is an issue with the lens and it was a C Service Repair. I promptly logged into the Nikon Service site and authorized the repair of the lens and paid the invoice.
    Had several email exchanges with Customer Service and they said they do NOT perform AF Fine tuning since it is so subjective. But they would test the lens on my camera. Major disappointed, because I had requested they perform the AF Fine Tune step after checking the lens and body.
    Receive notification from UPS that they had picked up a package from Nikon Service in LA on 9/8.
    Received email from Nikon CS that repair was completed and shipped on 9/10.
    UPS delivered box on Friday, 9/12.

I opened the package and the packaging of the body and lens was excellent.

On the D7100 they preformed a B2 Service Repair and adjusted the mirror angle, adjusted the AF operation, checked flash operation, checked bayonet mount, cleaned CCD, cleaned image sensor, performed firmware upgrade and performed a general check and clean. No charge. I was surprised they adjusted the mirror angle and the auto focus operation - tells me there was an issue. The D7100 body was returned and it was clean and no distress on screw head. A sticker tag was attached indicating that the lens now met Nikon specs.

The 17-55mm F2.8 lens: Nikon performed a service repair rank C, $375 + shipping. This is what they did:
    +repaired zooming mechanism
    +replaced cam ring
    +replaced lens barrel
    +replaced rubber ring - to be expected
    +replaced roller/guide ring
    +adjusted auto focus operation
    +adjusted resolution
    +check lens bayonet mount
    +General check and clean
    A sticker tag was attached indicating that the lens now met Nikon specs.

The lens looks brand new with new focus and zoom collars. Finish looks good and no distress on screw heads on bayonet mount. The zoom collar turns much easier. Took a couple of pictures and they were sharp.

So that was my experience with the Nikon Service Center in LA. I am very pleased with the turn around time and the operation of my equipment. Not happy they did not perform the AF Fine Tune. Having a 180 day warranty on the lens is great. I will be using both items on Sunday at a shoot and look forward to checking the images for sharpness.

Oh, I documented the number of shutter activations when I shipped the D7100 and checked it when I got it back. Nikon Service activated the shutter 79 times. Very happy with their service.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    Just a short update to the above message. After having used the camera on Sunday to shoot almost 300 photos I can't believe the difference in using the silky zoom collar. I also looked at those pictures on my monitor last night and the focus issue is gone. I am really pleased with my D7100 and lens. Now I have some images for PAD and Rainbow pictures.

Of course, NIkon did a "reset" and I had to sit down and work my way through the menus to customize the camera the way I like to use it.

A week ago the wife and I took a 4 day weekend and I used her D90 and her 18-105mm & 55-300mm lens. Then the next weekend we are out of town and I shot those 300 pictures. Oh how the D7100 outperforms the D90. Got to be careful that the wife doesn't hear me or she is going to be wanting a new camera. :\"> [-X
  • goatee220goatee220 Posts: 2Member
    I sent my D800 to Nikon last week because it wasn't focusing properly and the viewfinder went dark. I had it back good as new within a week! Very pleased about the quick turnaround.
    I sent my D800 to Nikon last week because it wasn't focusing properly and the viewfinder went dark. I had it back good as new within a week! Very pleased about the quick turnaround.
    Where you from goatee?
    Always learning.
  • photowriterphotowriter Posts: 0Member
    I bought a Nikon DSLR last Christmas. I should point out I am a professional photographer and have used Nikons for over 35 years. The camera was bought for a specific purpose and was not used at first other than to remove it from its box and take a couple of shots to check it. Then a trip to Portugal and use it as a back up to get used to it. Returning i discovered on enlarging the images they were not sharp ! a few weeks of tests and contact with Nikon several times eventually the camera was sent back. Now it has been repaired 3 times ! Over several months. Each time it comes back after 3 weeks away. It is immediately unusable ! Much worse than before ! Now after so many times and I demanded a replacement. even wrote to the MD ( has has not replied ) The service is terrible and often emails are simply not answered or when they are it can be several days. finally after threat of claiming compensation for all my time and effort, they say they are willing to offer me a ' graded replacement ' I am now still waiting for an answer to my question ' what is a graded replacement ' ? Looking at the internet i see that all around the world people seem to be having similar problems. So beware ! I will let you know what happens. Meanwhile the engineered rig I manufactured to do movies with this camera still remains unused after 10 months. Nikon had one of the best reputations for reliability and service. If this carries on they will lose more than their reputation.
    @photowriter - what DSLR body are you talking about?
    A graded replacement...not sure. My assumption if they say your camera is 95% new they will probably offer a refurbished replacement. The refurb I have seen look brand new so that isn't a bad thing. Let us know how it goes.

Finally, yea there is some of that bad customer service that various people have encountered.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Where does one check the status of the repair? Mine should be arriving to Nikon any day now.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    @tcole1983 - easy question to answer. Use the link below:
    https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page
    Select "check status of repair"

You will need the order number which is the number under the bar code on your paper work. Plus the first two characters of name. Click on "continue" and you will be able to see the status.

I used my tracking number to confirm they got my package and about one day after they get it they will send you an email telling you it was received and how to track the status.

Looks like Nikon changed the service screen...I really like it. You can use the link above and then select firmware update. That makes it much easier than the old way of having to run a search.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Hi everyone,

Like some of you may have read in my little review of my 2xD750. I had some AF issue with my b camera. It was front focusing pretty bad with AF assist when using the center point in AF-S. I

Here's the link to my review
    Review D750

Here's the update on the repair.

Exactly 7 days after I dropped it off at the Nikon Montreal office ,Purolator showed rang my door bell to deliver my camera. They changed the AF system. It now works beautifully. Af is now precise and consistent. Thank you for the timely repair and home delivery.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    It would seem that where you live in the world Nikon have different priorities to their customers after reading some of comments made. I have always tried to create a good working relationship with Nikon Uk and regularly speak to the guys at Nikon Uk on different aspects of camera use. I am a NPS member and ok NPS members get priority when it comes to repairs and service but I believe it is important that first name communications do help especially when you can put a face to a name.
    Once you start trying to use bulling tactics, and become know for the wrong reasons, you are digging your own grave no matter how frustrating you may feel.
    So here's at least one vote of confidence for the guys at Nikon UK.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits