D750 Service Advisory -- Official Announcement

HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Nikon released an official service advisory for the D750 today. You can input your serial number and it will let you know if you qualify. If you do, the process to send it in will be available to you.

Mine qualifies. :-(

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/i4xzkqns/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D750.html

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Same here. No black dot and my serial numbers says it's affected. I am sending a CS email to see what the turnaround time is. Mine will be headed to Melville, NY, what about yours? :((
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Yes, Melville is where the shipping address is.

Glad I still have my D300. ;-)

Let us know if you get a timeframe.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    According to the website, my D750 is affected but after around 4k shoots, i haven't see the flare issue... and no black dot in the camera...

my big problem is that I am from Panama, Central America and we don't has a repair center in here.... so I am dealing with what to do now... I bought the camera in B&H Photo in New York and it was send to a PO BOX That I has in Miami.... :(
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • GreenwiseGreenwise Posts: 34Member
    edited January 2015
    any ideas how to check serial number from uk ??
    can't find uk d750 service advisory :((

*edit* found page but having trouble accessing page to input serial number...sure things will right themselves soon ;)
    see link below for uk service advisory
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63592/
    Post edited by Greenwise on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Same here, tried Nikon.ch

Nothing happens with this aspx file. Well, I'll wait a bit. Wasn't able to provoke this "issue". In fact, all those "issue" seekers are kind of a bit boring… I guess it's very exhausting to search as long as finally one "issue" can be scandalized and beaten through the forum jungle.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @Greenwise: The link you posted isn't working ;)
    @funtagraph:
    Here's the correct links to the Nikon Europe service advisory in English and then German:

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63592

https://nikoneurope-de.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63594

As for your comment about "issue seekers" - I find that a tad offensive, actually!
    I for one certainly didn't go hunting for this issue, nor did I want it to occur in the photos of my family's Christmas celebrations, ruining several of them - and when I discovered it was there, it was too late - Christmas day was over and all the presents were opened!!! My mum is over 80, who knows how many more Christmases we'll be able to celebrate together!!!!

Anyway, the "issue" is real, Nikon have confirmed it.. I suggest you at least check your serial number on their site to see if THEY think your camera has the problem!!

Baldy ;)
    @Greenwise: The link you posted isn't working ;)
    @funtagraph:
    Here's the correct links to the Nikon Europe service advisory in English and then German:

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63592

https://nikoneurope-de.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63594

As for your comment about "issue seekers" - I find that a tad offensive, actually!
    I for one certainly didn't go hunting for this issue, nor did I want it to occur in the photos of my family's Christmas celebrations, ruining several of them - and when I discovered it was there, it was too late - Christmas day was over and all the presents were opened!!! My mum is over 80, who knows how many more Christmases we'll be able to celebrate together!!!!

Anyway, the "issue" is real, Nikon have confirmed it.. I suggest you at least check your serial number on their site to see if THEY think your camera has the problem!!

Baldy ;)
    @Baldy lol I've adjusted it now ;)

still can't get the page to load where you'd input the serial number though??
    anyone else managed to get this page to load so they can check their serial ???
    @baldeagle sorry, no offense meant, I just never saw it happen with mine. But what I see - a lot - is users talking about "Issues" and it's not very rare the only "Issue" for the camera is a user not knowing how to use it. I'm sure that's not the problem in your case. But I'm also sure, no product is perfect - and no picture, too, so we users should not forget about being more partner than big boss of Nikon who tells them what they have to do. I always make good experiences with accepting that something eventually could have gone wrong without any purpose :)

Nikon.ch told me the servers were overloaded. I'm not in a hurry getting it fixed. Just now, I received a message from them recommending me to wait until the big run is over. Link should work again
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @funtograph: Yes, I'm with Baldy as my work is paid and is moments never to be repeated so if I don't 'seek the issue' I'll probably find it in post when it's too late as it doesn't show through the viewfinder.

We are not talking about a small thing here. If you shoot for fun only then maybe.
    Always learning.
    I've only seen this issue once within my shooting.. wasn't sure if it was me or not..
    on checking me serial this is what i get :((

'We are sorry to inform you that your D750 is affected by this issue and we request that you send it for repair. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. You can pre-register to return your camera free of charge by completing the online Service Request Form. If you have any further questions please contact Nikon Customer Support.'

dunno wether to wait or send it??
    My local camera shop (where i purchased) have said they will lend me a body whilst its sorted tho...sure they'll have an old D80 lying around ;)
    @Greenwise - I sent Nikon Tech Support a message asking for an estimate on turnaround time. Still not answer.

Tell your local dealer you want something better than a D80...preferably you want a 3 digit or 4 digit model; D700, D600, D610 or D7100, or a D5300. That was nice of them to offer, they just need to set up the offer...IMHO.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • gws4gws4 Posts: 5Member
    I went to purchase a d750 yesterday and it's "backordered" (read as recalled) on B&H, Adorama and Amazon. Is there any rumored time when the camera will become available again?
    I went to purchase a d750 yesterday and it's "backordered" (read as recalled) on B&H, Adorama and Amazon. Is there any rumored time when the camera will become available again?
    My suggestion, pick the dealer you want to buy it from and order it. You will go on the back order list and they will ship in the order placed. I would not wait too long because I would expect the back order list to continue to grow.
    I agree with Photobug... go and 'backorder' as despite this recall, which isn't affecting everyone it really is a fantastic camera
    @funtograph: Yes, I'm with Baldy as my work is paid and is moments never to be repeated so if I don't 'seek the issue' I'll probably find it in post when it's too late as it doesn't show through the viewfinder.

We are not talking about a small thing here. If you shoot for fun only then maybe.
    Still I think it's exaggerated. Was not able to provoke a flare like in some samples seen. So, even if my work's paid, too, I don't worry more about flare than I usually do and am using kind of lens flare protectors anyway. Also, I'm using often primes and no superzooms, so it might be a bit more difficult for me to provoke the effect and I understood, even the cameras which carrry the "dangerous serial numbers" don't show always the issue. Sorry if it appears I don't take your concerns seriously. I'll have it fixed by Nikon just in case I sell it, but my feeeling is, it will stay for quite a while with me as it's a great cam. Sometimes I used the tilty screen as light protector for the OVF.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    So exaggerated that a multi-billion dollar corporation issued a global service advisory and free repair. Due to the nature of the defect it is likely that some of the cameras in the affected serial number range are less affected than others, some maybe not at all. Go buy a lottery ticket as well :-) Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while =))
    Good I gave you a nice laugh. Lottery tickets don't work with me, never did, but now I made it to the "multi-billion dollar corporation" list of camera owners that should be soooo concerned, I still find it hard to reproduce the effect - there is some flare when the light source is outside the frame and not blocked by the lens hood. But that doesn't appear to be more than D810 or D800 is doing, sorry to disappoint you.

It's a good thing the "multi-billion dollar corporation" learnt their lesson out of the D600 shutter debacle. But this thread should be full of complaining owners, shouldn't it? I count one who was affected, another like myself haven't seen it within 4k shots. And this side came up first when googling for "D750 flare problem":
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/12/24/nikon-d750-flare-problems-heres-why-and-what-to-do-about-them-its-not-lens
    I totally understand that a wedding photographer is upset and unhappy with the sample provided. But then, those guys of the site tried others, Canons as well as Nikons and it is not that uncommon…

Now feel free to go on laughing - as I feel free not to run to Nikon service :) . I did when the EN-EL15 was affected and could eventually heat up. That's a safety risk. But my D750 doesn't appear more flare collecting than my D810. And speaking of flares: I had more shots ruined be the 14-24's sensitivity to direct and out of the frame sunlight. Sorry again, I spare a rise of blood pressure for more concerning stuff.
    Reading your post above @funtagraph, I am not even sure you have seen the flare that is the problem? We are not talking about normal occurrences of conventional flare (which can even be desirable in some shots), we are talking about bizarre shot-ruining geometrical shaped disruption. I can't get it to happen on mine, you can't get it to happen on yours - that is called blind luck. It isn't because you are a cool dude and others are neurotic. I wonder what you would be posting if your D750 had the problem? Judging by your style of posting above, you would be as disappointed as those that have it are. I don't get the superiority attitude in your posts on this.
    Always learning.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2015
    Once again another black dot fiasco from Nikon. I believe this is the third FX camera release in a row for Nikon with a service advisory, the D600, D810 and now this 750, although the D610 seems to have been fine. The D610 basically was what the D600 should have been in the first place...

I wonder if it stems from releasing bodies without completely testing them completely in an effort to rush the new product to market?
    Post edited by kanuck on
    @kanuck don't forget the D800 left focus points ;)

@spraynpray as soon as I suffer these problems I'll let you know… I was able to google the issue - didn't see a link of one of you guys who are afraid of it or already suffer it. Can be a real pain, I understand, but what I really don't get is blowing your cheeks because of something could happen. It's pointless to rave about eventual damage or malfunction before it happens.

"Blind luck" you say? Well, I'd call it bad luck to get one of these affected bodies. Nobody outside Nikon will ever know what really happened - even the guys from the imaging resource website had a hard time to provoke the failure and it appears, some D750 bodies are made in a different manner than others, according to their findings. As soon as we know how much cameras really are suffering of it, I think about joining the choir. But so far I could not get worse flare than I also can provoke the D810, especially not that weird pattern.

And if you had checked the link, you had seen other cameras suffering the same problem, one was EOS 1DX but it also can be found in various other Nikons - so I suggest you change your system… Btw. what is your problem? If you want to send in and complain about your camera, just do it. I think, you have all reason to do so, because it IS a failure, I'n not denying. But as long as I don't see it my body doing, I take the liberty to remain calm.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @funtagraph:

Actually, I am very calm :P, and from what I read in the Imaging Resource article you mentioned, they didn't have so much of a problem reproducing the issue except with certain lenses (some of which seemed less prone than others - which itself is a bit weird)..
    As I've said several times, if it was just lens flare that I could see in the OVF, it wouldn't be too big a problem. Having said that, when I drop a couple of grand on any purchase, I don't expect it to exhibit ANY problems, no matter how small or insignificant that problem may appear to be to others!!!
    Whether or not we get paid for our photography is irrelevant - ruined photos of special moments cannot be retaken. Even if I couldn't reproduce the problem with my camera/lens combination, I would be pretty upset if I had just 1 "special" photo ruined (I actually had several ruined - without ANY attempt to reproduce the problem!!). For this reason I would get my camera checked/fixed as soon as possible.

Baldy. ;)
    edited January 2015
    @funtograph: From the youtube vids I've seen it is a piece of cake to reproduce the problem on some bodies You see that's the trouble - the part that is causing the problem is an out of control process so it will have a wider tolerance than on a machined or moulded part.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    The Serial number search shows my D750 as being effected but I have some things coming up so I don't want to send it in now.
    Anyone out there who has sent their camera in and got it back? Anyone know about the turn around time? I don't like being without a camera, I may ask my local shop about a loaner.
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I've been hearing two weeks for the ones who did not get them in first.
  • chitochito Posts: 10Member
    I shipped mine last Wednesday, Jan. 21 to Melville, NY from California and yesterday I got an email update from UPS saying "SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS HAVE DELAYED DELIVERY."
    It looks like it's going to take awhile.
    ♪ I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So mama don't take my Kodachrome away ♪ - Paul Simon