New Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless Being Field Tested Now!

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
edited April 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Finally Nikon is field testing a new FX Mirrorless body according to Nikonrumors.com. It is believed that the body would be ready for a market release by the end of the this year or in the 1st quarter of 2016. No EVF but standard F mount all in a very small Olympus E-M1 body size. Who is on board with this product?

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/20/new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-on-the-horizon.aspx/

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I have a bad feeling that this first model will be a Nikon 1, or Coolpix A style body with an F mount. Hopefully they won't use crippled controls or something silly like.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    What would be wrong with an FX Coolpix A with an f-mount?
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I will not consider a camera with no viewfinder. A solid hold is simply not possible unless on a tripod which defeats the purpose.

A look at the Fuji X-E1 (or 2) is evidence that an EVF does not make it less compact.

Lack of EVF makes it unsuitable for long lenses and any subject that moves.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I wouldn't worry about the rumor of no EV. If this full frame mirrorless body does surface this year it will simply be the first of a series of such bodies just like the Nikon 1 has many different body styles; one with an EV. Surely a full frame pro-featured EV model will follow just as the Nikon 1 V models followed. So what's the name? Perhaps Nikon 3 to leave room for a DX sensor Nikon 2 or maybe Nikon 1FX to leave room for a Nikon 1DX and the next Nikon 1 CX will be labeled Nikon 1CX? Or maybe the transition to mirrorless will carry forward the Dxxx and Dx nomenclature?
    You mean besides the poor control layouts on said cameras?
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Full frame, light weight, mirrorless, that is all good stuff. If it is as fast as the V3 and the ISO is as good as the D4, I'm in. Can I get it for Christmas?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    I think that is a matter of opinion. I don't mind the control layout of my Coolpix A. It is a small camera that fits in my shirt pocket (there is no superior IQ available, even now, that fits in my shirt pocket). I don't expect my D800 control layout on a small camera.

Unless you think that all of Nikon's cameras have a poor control layout, but then if that is important to you, perhaps you should consider Canon.

Any other objections besides the "poor control layout" and "no EVF", as I think that Donaldjose has addressed that issue to my satisfaction?
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited April 2015
    I agree that the lack of EVF is a definite turnoff for me. Even Leica shooters with the M240 have been raving about how the M system finally has incorporated it into their rangefinders. Would I give up my DSLR for this system? No, but I would certainly give it a look as a second "fun" body. It would be wonderful for travel, hikes, and as a simple carry around camera. I wouldn't rely on at work, or for landscapes though. I would imagine the specs would be about: 24 mp, iso 100-3200 with crazy Hi, Low ranges, silly modes like portrait and landscape, and 4 fps. What will be missing will be weather sealing, EVF, and a lower life battery and shutter. Either way, I am sure Sony just issued a collective "Doh!" today.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mmmm.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Msmoto...I expected you to be all excited and offer what you want to see in a FX mirror less body. You been saying this would happen for a year and now your best is "Mmmm....." Interesting comment. :D

This sure did not surprise me. It's going to be fun watching the rumors and the impact of this body will have on DSLR's. We all saw the interview and the Nikon Eng comments on a full frame mirrorless camera. It's good to see the engineers are working on something new.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    After living through the computer industry for 40 years, and reading Thom Hogan's web site regularly for quite a few years, I would think Nikon would max out the technology (ISO, Wi-Fi, resolution) and minimize the cost while making a profit. The next few rumors will be fun.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Hmmm ...

1) Dont seem possible to be "Small" and "Fmount"
    2) Native Mirrorless FMount seems too backward .. why not take the opportunity to refresh the mount with the best new tech
    3) would seem that an Adapter for Fmount would have been more logical. The wording does not seem to negate this option.
    4) Mirror-less advantages would not be taken advantage of.
    4.1) shorter flange distance
    4.2) removal of legacy Fmount disadvantages not wide enough for widest apertures.
    4.3 ) etc ..?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    edited April 2015
    Since I got my D750, I've been a little lost without having something to lust after......well no more, can't wait to get my hands one one of these!
    Post edited by Andrewz on
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    I think that is a matter of opinion.
    We can pretend to be objective, but everything presented here has some level of subjectivity based on personal likes and dislikes. Moving on to the topic at hand.

Nikon needs to find a balance between point and shoot camera like controls of the Coolpix A and higher level controls if they want a full mirrorless cameras to gain any traction. The target of this camera is not going to be soccer moms like the N1 J5, so it should be designed as a serious tool with the controls to go with it. Space is always going to be a limiting factor in smaller cameras, but that is not an excuse to make the camera more difficult to use than it needs to be.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    Since I got my D750, I've been a little lost without having something to lust after......well no more, can't wait to get my hands one one of these!
    LOL .. I am sort of in the same boat the "lost" bit.. I am actually very happy with my D610 and D7000 ( although I have decided on the D7200 upgrade just waiting for a good deal to pop up.) its a bit "empty" in a good way :-) I can concentrate on technique and looking at photos :-) I dont have anything to "lust" after..

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have suggested this is the future of image capture as we really have no need for a mirror as technology continues to advance. As to the new mirrorless....this looks like a test mule to make certain no basic issues are present which would make it a complete flop.

As I know nothing about the new body, I am in the dark like everyone else...except Peter, who has a direct line to the Nikon CEO's office.....LOL

The new body will be highly limited in all aspects. It will be more like a D610 than a D4s in its tech specs. The focus system may be the most sophisticated they can offer as this is the primary limiting factor in a mirrorless as I understand it. What the new body is called should be interesting....much of this is limited by copyright issues.

I will predict, once this body is in the market place and has not been a disaster, then we might see "pro" versions, the high MP and the high ISO equivalents of the D810, D4s.

Ergonomically the new body does little for me. And this is again another clue it may be only a test mule. The body must be something we can hang from one hand, like the current pro bodies which are so nicely held at one's side from the finger grips. Old folks need a very "easy to hold" body, oh my, LOL :-)) =))

Anyway, until I see the body which will perform better in all aspects than my D4, I have minimal interest in purchase, but something which performs like one of the prosumer bodies, at the right price, this could be fun as a carry around.

More will be revealed....
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I have six suggestions for your consideraton:

1. The first FX sensor to be placed in one of these will be the same sensor as currently in the D750; which is fine.

2. The "model" for a future "more pro" version should be the Nikon 1 V2, not the V3, because the V2 had the built in, not add on, EV and the built in, not add on, grip.

3. We cannot expect as many buttons as now are on models such as the D750 simply because there will not be space for them on such a small body.

4. Nikon will have an adapter, similar to the Nikon 1 systems FT-1, to allow us to use current lenses with the new body.

5. There will be some new lenses specific to the new body designed with a much shorter space between the rear element and the sensor to provide a more compact package. The first one may be the 28-80 which may be the kit lens for the body.

6. Price will be a big issue. It should be priced the same as an equivalent DSLR. Nikon should not attempt to charge a premium for small size like they tried to do with the Nikon 1 system.
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    The speculations on the main blog seem to go for a native F-Mount, not an adapter. Which I think would be the smart move. At one point, Nikon will have to let go of the legacy f-mount with its size-related limitations, but now is probably not yet the time. Who wouldn't want to use their gorgeous pro glass on the FF sensor instead of having to buy new lenses for a new system - again! That much they should have learned from the N 1 disaster. If it uses anything else, it will tank I'm certain.

• JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    edited April 2015
    maybe people would like to see a mirrorless camera in a "just a little bit smaller" D750 body.... you will have the grip, depth, mount and enough space for buttons... oh... and a viewfinder...
    Post edited by JCTibu on
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
    maybe people would like to see a mirrorless camera in a "just a little bit smaller" D750 body.... you will have the grip, depth, mount and enough space for buttons... oh... and a viewfinder...
    A DF!
    The speculations on the main blog seem to go for a native F-Mount, not an adapter. Which I think would be the smart move. At one point, Nikon will have to let go of the legacy f-mount with its size-related limitations, but now is probably not yet the time. Who wouldn't want to use their gorgeous pro glass on the FF sensor instead of having to buy new lenses for a new system - again! That much they should have learned from the N 1 disaster. If it uses anything else, it will tank I'm certain.

An adapter for 'F' glass that maintained full functionality including autofocus performance woul be ideal since it could use 'F' glass and still have thinner flange distance for other lenses.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

Fuji X-T1 and Sony A7II are good models for this, and phase detect AF on sensor, and VR on sensor.

If Nikon could match these ergonomics with Nikon 'F' glass full support, it would be a killer.

... H

• FlyingOkoFlyingOko Posts: 16Member
    edited April 2015
    Yes to full-frame, F-mount via adaptor, but as heartyfisher so rightly says, F-mount would negate the mirrorless advantage of shorter flange-sensor distance. The answer lies in the S-mount used in the Nikon rangefinders. (And is compatible with Contax and Kiev lenses too).

And, as we are all getting older, and our eyesight not being what it was, a viewfinder is essential. With a viewfinder set to my diopter, I can raise camera to eye, compose, shoot, like with a (D)SLR. But without a viewfinder, I have to put on my glasses to see the screen... bummer, dude. Because the Coolpix A lacked a viewfinder, I didn't buy one. I might as well use my phone.

As I wrote here a few years ago, a digital version of the Nikon S2 or S3 would be optimal. A bit retro for the fanboys, but essentially a rangefinder camera with full frame sensor.

Nikon would KILL Leica (a company that deserves opprobrium for its callous corporate stupidity in pursuing a policy of snobbism and camera-as-jewellry) if Nikon brought out a full-frame digital rangefinder that accepted the old S-mount lenses, plus F-mount lenses via an adaptor. This would bring Fuji X-100 style glory to Nikon. The undisputed leader in full-frame rangefinder cameras.

Here's how I'd like to see the full-frame Nikon mirrorless...

http://jeziorki.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-dream-camera-just-around-corner.html
    Post edited by FlyingOko on
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited April 2015

Nikon would KILL Leica (a company that deserves opprobrium for its callous corporate stupidity in pursuing a policy of snobbism and camera-as-jewellry)
    Oh I agree with you on that part wholeheartedly. Leica needs their ass handed to them on a silver platter!!! $!4.000 for their diamond encrusted rangefinder was it?! I don't remember anyway. :P Their sh*t is way over priced for their own good. :-))
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    Leica's lenses are worth every penny, but their cameras are are behind technically. Stick with Zeiss, Schneider etc. if you want really high end that you can put on Nikon.