D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    edited January 2016
    Better late than never.
    Although I'm actually glad Nikon took friggen forever to release this successor as it expedited my transition to FX. Release a couple years earlier and I would still be stuck with DX, but now I have seen the light. FX is better and is the future.
    Post edited by safyre on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    don't think any of the new cameras will interest the wedding boys so that's a market lost.
    What do you want?

• CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    edited January 2016
    First impressions from a beta tester/initial product campaign shooter:

http://www.ishootshows.com/2016/01/05/shooting-impressions-on-assignment-with-the-nikon-d500-and-sb-5000/

He is very impressed with the new AF and that the sensor's high ISO performance is on par with that of a full frame sensor, but remember, he's been paid by Nikon to shoot the D500 product campaign with a pre-production D500.
    Post edited by CaMeRaQuEsT on
  • pbull221pbull221 Posts: 32Member
    I will feast on this information for a very, very long time. Thank you Nikon, you seem to hear we users if only a little bit of a Wi-Fi update.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    What do I want?? a 24-210 F4 for me FX, a proper replacement for the SB 400 and some more customers !!!
    edited January 2016
    Japanese brochure:

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/digital-brochure-ja.pdf

There is a description of the body parts materials (page 21) were the only parts made of magnesium are the top and back covers, the front cover and mirror box are carbon fiber (I earlier asumed the front cover was also made of magnesium), so it's pretty much the same construction type as in the D750. They show the D500 with a 600mm f4 FL attached, so I guess this carbon fiber mirror box is strong enough to withstand this lens hanging on its mount. It also shows a mirror dampening device being implemented, so a good chance that it will not suffer from the mirror/shutter slap endemic of Nikon's earlier carbon fiber bodies.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    What do I want?? a 24-210 F4 for me FX, a proper replacement for the SB 400 and some more customers !!!
    I was thinking about new DSLRs :-). But I wish you lots of customers!
    "Eye-Fi compatible." What does this mean?
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    "Eye-Fi compatible." What does this mean?
    It means eye-fi sb cards can be used for wireless transfer of images to a tablet or computer and maybe cell phones. I know about them but do not use.

Ah, yes. I remember that now. One of these days I will get a data plan for my cell and jump into this brave new world. As a computer technician I shun all technology when I am not at work. If Nikon could take a step back to the days when Canon was festooned with buttons and Nikon was simple, I'd buy into that.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I want!

Mwuahaha now my 17-55 DX lens will be worth more! I am all set, just have to sell off all my stuff to raise the $2k for it.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2016
    So who is getting one ? show of hands ... :-h
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited January 2016
    It also shows a mirror dampening device being implemented, so a good chance that it will not suffer from the mirror/shutter slap endemic of Nikon's earlier carbon fiber bodies.
    I tried going there but I could not read the Japanese. Can you kindly translate what it says about the shutter?

This is what Google gave for that text, but maybe someone else can do better:
    Easy to continue to follow a moving object, stable viewfinder image. In order to pursue the subjects that move around during high-speed continuous shooting accurately, it is important to be stable went through the viewfinder image. D500 is, mirrored coreless motor and reliable mirror balancer suitable for rapid acceleration and deceleration to the drive mechanism, and has adopted its own mirror drive assist mechanism. Deceleration of the mirror-up completion just before by the mirror driving assist mechanism, child slowdown and Miraba Lancer shock absorption by in mirror-down completion just before by the control of Ares motor, effectively suppressed mirror up, the bound of both mirror down, finder to reduce the image blur. In addition, the deferred timing of Miraa~tsu-flops start, and to shorten the image disappearance time of the viewfinder at an acceleration assist of Mirada down initial by the mirror driving assist mechanism, and has realized a stable viewfinder image.
    So who is getting one ? show of hands ... :-h
    I pre-ordered yesterday. My two hesitations are the drop in resolution to 21MP as I already shoot the 7100 in 1.3x crop a bunch, and the slow QC mode of 3fps which is slower than the 810.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I won't get it when it is released. I'll get it when some refurbished ones hit the market for $500 less. Need to start saving now or pick up some paid gigs to pay for it.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2016
    I am on the waiting list at my local shop. I should get first or second dibs \:D/
    Apparently they have more orders for the D5 than the D500
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    From the ByThom website: " Yes, it even has a small thumb-drive for the autofocus sensor position." I do not know what on earth he is talking about. Thought I'd ask here as it is a forum.
    From the ByThom website: " Yes, it even has a small thumb-drive for the autofocus sensor position." I do not know what on earth he is talking about. Thought I'd ask here as it is a forum.
    It's more like a thumb-controlled joystick, it's right under the AF-ON button. Handier and faster than the D-pad for focus point/group selection.
    It also shows a mirror dampening device being implemented, so a good chance that it will not suffer from the mirror/shutter slap endemic of Nikon's earlier carbon fiber bodies.
    I tried going there but I could not read the Japanese. Can you kindly translate what it says about the shutter?
    Sorry, I don't read Japanese, just Chinese, so I just deduce the meaning out of the kanji (Chinese characters) on the text.
    Interview w/Nikon executives by Imaging Resource: (they are always insightful, but this time around they just concentrated more on Snapbridge and KeyMission360, so nothing about D5/D500's sensors):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/01/06/nikon-ces-2016-interview-nikon-defines-their-future

Most eye-widening insight: unlike the D300, the D500 was targeted to enthusiasts rather than pros (thus the cost reducing plastic build and the tilty screen I guess) as the D300 was mostly embraced by enthusiasts rather than the expected pros. For Nikon's sake, I just really, really hope there won't be many heavy tele lenses falling off D500s' broken lens mounts.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @CaMeRaQuEsT: You'd better tell the formula one designers that they are making their cars out of sub-standard material... =))
    Always learning.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    The more I think about it, the D500 make a terrific complement to my D810. I like the extra reach my 200-500 gets with the D7100, but the D810 focuses faster. I've gotten used to a small buffer with both cameras - now with the D500 I have reach, more than adequate MPs, a massive buffer and fast frame rate and even better AF. Takes the same batteries as my D810 too. I'm getting closer to ordering all the time.
    pictureted at flickr
  • fiziksfiziks Posts: 12Member
    Those big tele lenses have tripod feet on them for a reason. The lens mount doesn't need to be strong enough to hold a 600mm... it needs to be strong enough to hold the D500 (and grip and WT-7) to the 600mm (or 70-200mm or any other lens mounted directly to the tripod). ;-)
    edited January 2016
    Nikon, for its camera bodies, uses a type of low cost carbon fiber that is just random filling inside a die-cast plastic part, which is totally different to the very expensive weaved carbon fiber "cloth" lied on top of one another, glued together using epoxy and then cured under high pressure/high temperature inside huge autoclaves used in car and aerospace manufacturing, or in Nikon's case for its newest long, heavy tele lenses' hoods. Yes, you usually shoot a long, heavy tele lens attached with the lens' own shoe to a tripod/monopod, but what about when you are moving around with the camera/lens combo hanging from its strap? I don't own or have ever used a lens heavier than 3 pounds, so I will really like to know the repercussions of such mishandling of lens and body pairings.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Nikon, for its camera bodies, uses a type of low cost carbon fiber that is just random filling inside a die-cast plastic part, which is totally different to the very expensive weaved carbon fiber "cloth" lied on top of one another, glued together using epoxy and then cured under high pressure/high temperature inside huge autoclaves used in car and aerospace manufacturing, or in Nikon's case for its newest long, heavy tele lenses' hoods. Yes, you usually shoot a long, heavy tele lens attached with the lens' own shoe to a tripod/monopod, but what about when you are moving around with the camera/lens combo hanging from its strap? I don't own or have ever used a lens heavier than 3 pounds, so I will really like to know the repercussions of such mishandling of lens and body pairings.
    I think any combination of long lens + weight on a camera is going to be hard- it's pretty much a big lever- think back to physics. I think a metal body doesn't make a big difference in protecting against that.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The D500 and and D750 share the same construction, and the D5300 is all CFRTP. Where is the spate of broken mounts that should be happening? Crickets...

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/10/nikon-d5300-trivia-the-body-is-made-out-of-a-new-carbon-fibre-reinforced-thermoplastics-and-you-can-now-change-the-aperture-in-live-view.aspx/

The carbon fiber used in Nikon products is a specific brand of CFRTP call Sereebo, manufactured by a Japanese company named Teijin. The same formula is used in aerospace and automotive design.

http://www.teijin.com/news/2013/ebd131015_55.html

"Sereebo-branded CFRTP composites are made with three Teijin-developed intermediate materials that the company produces by impregnating carbon fiber with thermoplastic resin. U Series is a unidirectional intermediate offering directional strength on an ultrahigh level. I Series is an isotropic intermediate offering a balance of shape, moldability and multidirectional strength. P Series, which is a long-fiber thermoplastic pellet (LFT) made from high-strength carbon fiber, is suitable for injection molding of complex parts, a promising material that will enable the recycling of CFRTP composites."