When to expect D750 successor?

Comments

• PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    edited January 2017

The one I was thinking about was not flickr but some website where they accumulate data from several imaging websites like flickr and 500px , etc, etc.

Petapixel releases stats and they are similar to Flickr's. 500px does not release aggregated statistics. I'm not aware of anything else and I've searched.

Post edited by PeachBlack on
    Results tell the same story as those of Flickr.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    So.....what will Nikon do if Canon and/or Sony launches a thousand dollar US full frame camera? Upgrade a D3300 to a full frame version? Launch a budget D620?

So.....what will Nikon do if Canon and/or Sony launches a thousand dollar US full frame camera? Upgrade a D3300 to a full frame version? Launch a budget D620?

The kind of person who would spend money on a crappy full-frame camera doesn't know enough about full-frame vs. crop to have it come into the decision-making process. In order for Nikon to build a cheap full-frame camera, they'd have to make it crappy, else it would steal sales from the D750. Where is the market for a crappy full-frame camera?
    edited January 2017
    Is a D3500 crappy? If they put a full frame sensor in it, would it be crappy?
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on

Is a D3500 crappy? If they put a full frame sensor in it, would it be crappy?

No, but it would steal sales from the D750.
    A full frame D3500, identical in every other respect, would steal sales from the D750? I imagine that that kind of customer is already buying a D610.
    Not really sure what the market is, especially given that you're trading SO much in functionality for a not tremendous increase. I'd rather work with a D7300 than a full-frame D3300, and I think most other people would as well.
    I probably would to. But to a DX user that has already traded functionality wishing for a simple upgrade to FX at the cheapest possible price, such an animal might be attractive. But that is why I am speculating that Nikon's strategy might be to reduce the price of the D610 replacement which seems more viable.
    And did I say I was speculating?
    Sure. But by usage for Nikon, the D7xxx line has the #1 and #3 number of daily users on Flickr, with the D750 being #2. The D600 & D610 are #14 and #15. Functionality seems to be important, and making a super gimped full-frame camera doesn't look like a winning move for Nikon.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

The one I was thinking about was not flickr but some website where they accumulate data from several imaging websites like flickr and 500px , etc, etc.

Those sites are good metrics of people who are posting images from said cameras, but say nothing about how many are actually being sold. Ten bucks says that Nikon sells 50 D3xxx/5xxx cameras for each higher end camera, but that may not correlate to what shows up in statistics on a photography focused website. Why? Enthusiasts who are extremely active in the community tend to buy higher end gear, which likely smudges the numbers significantly.

There is a reason Nikon/Canon etc upgrade the low end models more often, because that's where the sales are. Higher end models are more profitable, but unit sales are much lower, just ask your local camera dealer and I suspect you'll hear the same thing.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    yup that's the link!

I think d600 & d610 should be counted together.. if you add them numbers up I think it's a much more respectable ranking.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I provided the hard numbers above, Hearty. That other link basically shows the same thing. The D750 still has about a 27% lead on the combined values of the D600/610, and it's not been out nearly as long.... and 1385% more than the Dƒ.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited January 2017
    Everything without U1 U2 is crappy in some respect..bit like a 2 door car ..works but its a pain.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • GloorGloor Posts: 9Member
    So when do you guys think something will happen? Next month at the photo event? Or july for the 100th anni?
    I think the DF for July and 750/810 at the CP+...but its Nikon so your guess is as good as mine.
    D810 replacement before D750, almost certainly. Nikon doesn't exactly have a blazing upgrade pace, so I would be surprised if there's a D750 replacement this year. What would they fix? It's already in a really good price/performance category. I suppose they could swap in the 36mp sensor of the D810, and move the D810 up to a higher MP count, but not really sure why.

Remember, most of the things that are on wish lists are things that would either push it into a higher price range, or have it steal sales from the D810, and that's just not going to happen.

If you like the D750, buy the D750. It's a great camera for the price and one of the few things Nikon has gotten right in the last half decade.
    Strange how we view these things D750 is one camera I would not buy ..too few MP and a low pass filter

Strange how we view these things D750 is one camera I would not buy ..too few MP and a low pass filter

That's sort of my point. You desire features that are available on a higher end camera. If you put in a higher megapixel sensor and take out the low pass filter, you're halfway to the D810. The camera is going to be more expensive to make and it's going to steal sales from the more expensive offering. The D750 is a very capable camera at a good price. Is it high end? No. It also costs 32% less.

The D610 on the other hand is only a savings of 20% over the D750. It's less in terms of both percentage and dollars. More important, though, is that the D610 is heavily gimped and super irritating to use compared to the D750, whereas the D750 is just missing a few features compared to the D810, isn't irritatingly slow, doesn't force you to use a super crappy AF, and adds a few nice things to boot.

So, I think the D750 represents a good value. If you won't notice the MP difference all that much, won't miss 1/8000, and won't notice the sharpness difference (it really isn't all that noticeable—I really can't tell the difference between shots taken with the 810 and the 800), then saving a thousand bucks is something to think about. You can buy a D750 and a Sigma 50mm/1.4 Art for the price of a D810.

Wouldn't it be nice to get the D500 153 focus points though? It would make sense and it wouldn't cannibalise sales of D5. Small things like newer expeed, snappybridge support and maybe tweaked ergonomics and that would be a great and realistic successor, don't you think?
    edited January 2017
    Gloor said:

Wouldn't it be nice to get the D500 153 focus points though? It would make sense and it wouldn't cannibalise sales of D5. Small things like newer expeed, snappybridge support and maybe tweaked ergonomics and that would be a great and realistic successor, don't you think?

Think of it from Nikon's point of view. The D750 sells really well, even outselling the D7200 on Amazon, so it's in a really good spot. The demand is high. Any upgrades, even small ones, aren't likely to happen in 2017.

So you have to think about the marginal contribution to sales of adding a better AF and sensor vs. the costs of retooling. Sure YOU want the better AF, but for how many people would this be a make or break decision? Also, you are asking for a pro feature to make its way into an obviously prosumer camera. It's more likely that the D500 AF will make its way into the D810 replacement, and that will be a way to differentiate the new D8xx from the D750.

Differentiation is important to a company that's trying to sell you products. If everything looks the same, then you just buy the cheaper product. Like I said, what YOU want and what makes sense for Nikon aren't the same thing.
    Post edited by PeachBlack on
    This makes sense Pitchblack. It is why I suggest that Nikon update the D610 but perhaps only update the AF to the current D810. Add the unsnappy poorly made bridge (1) and a few other things, then make it cheaper by at least 20%. Keep the same sensor.

I think that this would be an attractive introductory FX camera that would work well for a lot of users. If you are like us and want more, you have to pay more. I am sorry for all of you that want more for less - don't we all - but Nikon will not be in business for long if it does not make good business decisions and then we all have a problem.

1: Thom Hogan
    We all want for less or the same price. Why? Thats the nature of the market. If you don't introduce something thats better than the previous model than why introducing it in the first place. Successor to D750 has to have something better whilst maintaining similar price range as otherwise its DOA. So the question is, what will D750 most likely have?
    Nikon will not be in business if they don't improve steady flow of products people desire, right? Their latest financial results weren't very impressive so if D810 and D750 is due for an upgrade, wouldn't this year be a good year? After all those cams were released in 2014 so I would say its about time, no? D3xxx and D5xxx range that is generating probably the most money were already upgraded so FX line is next? Or you expect dead year from Nikon? Df is not gonna cut it, right?