When to expect D750 successor?

Comments

• PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    It's like trying to handicap a sporting event. There are some outcomes that are more likely than others, but in the end, we really have to wait and see what happens. Let's just say that the D750 is one of the LEAST likely higher end cameras to get an update.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @PeachBlack Actually I'd say the D610 is THE least likely, followed by the D750.

@Gloor As far as when? It's a betting pool, since we have no bloody idea. I've already given my opinion/facts which is that the D750 is still selling strong, so they will milk it for quite a while longer. (Also, as a side note, I'd put my $$ on a refurb D750 right now if I was in the market for a full frame/FX. In a year or two, you can trade-in/ebay the D750 and buy the successor. But in the meantime, you can be taking pictures and buying lenses :naughty: )

@heartyfisher As a proud owner of a Df, I'm not sure I'd pair it with the D6xx for two reasons: 1) Sensor (and electronics) is the same as D4, so much better quality than D6xx 2) Cost

Other than that, I agree.
    From the main blog:

http://nikonrumors.com/2017/01/27/rumors-nikon-d810-no-longer-in-production.aspx/

"I received some information that the Nikon D810 camera will no longer be in production in 2017. Given previous release patterns, I also believe that the D810 is the first to be replaced from the full frame DSLR line - Nikon tend to replace the most expensive camera first (D810 in this case) and then follow up with a cheaper model (D610/D750/Df)."
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    "if you back up a tiny bit and allow yourself the room for it." Yes, that is a good idea. All too often in our heads we hear "fill the frame" as we compose so as not to "waste" megapixels when we should be hearing "allow a bit of room around the composition your eye sees for later editing options." That last mantra is not often heard on photo forums.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @donaldejose Unfortunately that last mantra from @PeachBlack is not taught in a lot of schools and I would say the majority of commerical courses. It is probably one of the hardest skills my students have learning. The concept of getting it right in the camera can and should include allowing that extra space for editing. I can't remember which one of Ansel Adams books but he talks about adding this type of space. He used his photo titled Monolith as an example. He took one shot with a longer lens and realized that it was to tight and changed to a shorter lens and for the shot. He cropped that image to get the composition he wanted.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    That mantra is taught pretty well in the school I go to. However, if I am sure of my composition I also like to go tight to maximize resolution.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Many of the things taught are hangovers from film days or parts of a syllabus that is being followed.It may not have been re written for 10 years. Why does Pitchblack always have views that are spot on ? Because he is in the field doing it. Many many times 3 pictures are generated from one wedding photo..a kid in the front row of a group with his finger up his nose ...you cannot crop into that without Mega MP.
    Pitch black keep telling it how it is not how it was.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2017
    So much for this being about a D750 upgrade, it's become another post focused on megapixels. You already have your own thread to complain in please go there. Not that I would be sad if the D7xx got more, but it won't make or break the camera.

Seriously, I doubt a D750 replacement is coming soon, and even if it does get upgrade you're only going to see a CPU bump and snapbridge. It's the entry level full frame camera for goodness sake (yes I still see the D610 as a hangover from over production).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2017
    @PB_PM I agree, it will be D810 replacement first, then a 100yr camera, and then maybe the D750, but I'll note it's at #2 today on Amazon best sellers list for DSLRs. I hear the sound of a cash cow being milked, and I don't think they are going to give that up anytime soon. Heck, at the current price I may just buy one so my Df has a friend...

Which brings me to my main point. What's wrong with the D750 as it stands? For a general purpose FX body it's pretty sweet, and most don't need more than 24mp. If you do, go get a D810 or a Hassy or whatev. Other than some crappy software and a few fps I can't see major areas for improvement.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Perhaps Nikon should start to produce two versions of all its FX bodies. One can be a fewer megapixel / faster fps body (called a D760) while the other is a higher megapixel / slower fps body (called a D760x). Nikon can use the existing 20.9mp ro 24mp sensor in the non-x body and the existing 36mp sensor in the D760x body. The same can be done with the D820, use the existing 36mp sensor with software and hardware upgrades in the D820 body and put a new 50+ megapixel sensor in a D820x body. The new 50+ megapixel sensor could also be put into a D5x body. Following this practice Nikon can offer three new x version bodies at a minimal cost, not counting what it decides to do with the D610 or the Df or the new 100 year anniversary body. By the end of this year Nikon could have a plethora of new bodies swamping the internet testing sites and generating lots of free publicity as they each issue their reviews. Just an idea to get maximum use out of Nikon's available sensors and create a niche for everyone in the process.
  • GPDenGPDen Posts: 1,171Member
    Very interesting thread this one. I still love (really love) my D700 and although I know I do need to upgrade soon I just don't see a current model that grabs my attention. I've got a D810 so the D700 is my back-up etc., and although I can clearly see the benefits of the three fold increase in MP's etc. there is nothing I want more for a second body right now. I thought I would want the D400 (i.e. the D500 as is) but I sold my only DX lens with my D200. I think a high fps (8-10), 24mp ish, FF, pro build body etc., etc. is what I want (I think!). I reckon heartyfisher has it about right when it comes to those of us who still have and cherish a D700.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2017
    @Ironheart "@heartyfisher As a proud owner of a Df, I'm not sure I'd pair it with the D6xx for two reasons: 1) Sensor (and electronics) is the same as D4, so much better quality than D6xx 2) Cost"

Yeah the Df is in a weird niche.. It looks and feels lovely in the hand too! I agree with the sensor being higher quality.. And the cost is higher than D610's teir for sure... but the electronics ?? dont think so.. the AF is the same as D600 and not as good as D610. Similarly for metering.. and Lowlight AF usability. Its clearly below the D810/800 and even below the D750 in terms of Technical Specifications(and abit below the D610!). But you dont get Df's for the tech spec.. The Sensor's Image Tone is what's very special about the Df and the Manual dials and handling. (MP what MP? .. who really cares about MP!! these days ;-) ) LOL ! but I don't have to tell you that ! Yes, I almost got one.... May still do.. if a good one pops up on the local Used markets :-) maybe when the Df2 arrives ! :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• GloorGloor Posts: 9Member
    I was thinking that D760 could have these:

1) no AA filter?
    2) AF as D5/D500
    3) more focus points
    4) newer expeed
    5) snapbridge

Is that realistic?
    It won't get the AF system of the D5/D500. That system will be reserved for higher priced bodies such as the replacement for the D810, in my opinion. It can have the AF system from the D4 though. May not get the latest Expeed 5 also but otherwise, you are likely correct.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2017
    @Gloor

1) There is currently no 24mp FX sensor that does not have an AA filter. So its likely that if it does have 24MP that it will have an AA filter. its probably a good thing...

2) 3) I think it already has the best AF system below the D5/D500. (it already has the D4 AF system .. right? ) so Its unlikely to have these added. Nikon wont make a new AF system between the D4/D5 types.. I dont think... (well they kind of did .. for the D750!). However, it will probably be a slightly improved version due to the advances in expeed (new software and faster processor).

4) new expeed.. Yeah this should be included.. Nikon usually puts in the latest Expeed into any new cameras.. May even have a newer than D5/D500 expeed.

5) Snapbridge. Yup, Nikon said that all new cameras will have snapbridge.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• shubhabrata29shubhabrata29 Posts: 30Member
    Anyone heard off the new features that is being added to the current D750 as registered again ? Will it have the the D5 autofocus, touch screen and snapbridge ? o:)
    edited April 2017
    My guess: no D5 AF becasue it is not a "pro" body, but will have the D500 touch screen and snapbridge. But that is just my guess. I have not heard any rumors. I think the D5 AF will be reserved for DSLR's with the "pro" body control layout and for the top of the line mirrorless body.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    They only need approval if they add snapbridge .to still call it N1404 says to me that is all they have done
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    This thread has been quite for a while and now that there are solid rumors about the coming of the D820/850 we can assume that a D750 upgrade is at least a year off and maybe we can influence Nikons plans (this maybe a dream but it's my dream...)

So I agree with @Gloor

1) no AA filter?
    2) AF as D5/D500
    3) more focus points
    4) newer expeed

Body: I think the ergonomics are near perfect and would only add a back button for focus.

Sensor: A newer sensor would be nice but I would keep the MP's at 24 and hope for more low light sensitivity.

Focus: Okay the truth here I also shoot a Fuji X-Pro 2 and every time I switch back and pickup my D750 I think, "what happened to all my focus point!" Nikon it's time for focus points from edge to edge! and dual pixel AF...

Video: I don't shoot it but you need 4K to be competitive!

FPS: Don't care if you need that get a D5/500.

Card slots: UHS II slots or 1 XQD (It's the future) and 1 SD UHS II. But really I'd be happy with 2 UHS II slots.

Okay Mr. Nikon that what I want!
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Oops I forgot, Touch screen!!!
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    After the sorry thing that Canon introduced as the replacement for the 6D, I really doubt that Nikon will be in any hurry now to update the D750, the wise thing to do will be to see what the next Sony A7III will be and then react to that camera.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    My daughters boyfriend just bought a Sony AR7ii. His shots are amazing to say the least. He has a Sony 24-70 f4 lens for now. He shot fireworks hand held for 3 seconds. Will Nikon learn?
  • tjmitchetjmitche Posts: 1Member

After the sorry thing that Canon introduced as the replacement for the 6D, I really doubt that Nikon will be in any hurry now to update the D750, the wise thing to do will be to see what the next Sony A7III will be and then react to that camera.

I wish Nikon would go back "leading" instead of waiting and reacting.... :neutral:
    Now that I see what is in the D850 and its price (in the USA) and now that Nikon has said it will be releasing mirrorless bodies in 2018, I am wondering about the viability of any meaningful DSLR replacement for the D750 (and the D5 for that matter).
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member

... I am wondering about the viability of any meaningful DSLR replacement for the D750 ...

Maybe, Nikon will merge D610 and D750, and only do one replacement which doesn't really reach too close to the D850. Would an FX version of the D7500 fit the description?
    Even with new mirrorless bodies, it would be too early for Nikon to leave the DSLR market, but reducing the number of bodies makes sense in bad times, and it would pave the way for the mirrorless.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110