NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Re D7200 firmware updates, would you rather bugs not be fixed? There is no such thing as bug free software, so unlike Sony Nikon fixes stuff, sounds like good support rather than a problem to me.

Distortion control updates are just what they sound like. Basically it’s for jpeg/tiff shooters, to correct for barrel distortion in camera. It also inputs data into RAW files for Nikon’s software to read and auto correct. The camera obviously wouldn’t have data for lenses that were not out when it was released, so the data base needs updating.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Yes, could you imagine Apple or Microsoft not providing updates?
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Good luck with the search Hiker. Comparing the specs on the A7Riii with the D850 doesn't offer much in the way of difference. I know some folks are keen on mirrorless for size and weight reasons. The D850 weighs just over a half pound more and is about an inch larger in width and height. Does that make that big a difference? At a similar price, for my purposes, the choice would not be all that difficult. I hope Nikon comes up with something to your liking.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    PB_PM said:

Re D7200 firmware updates, would you rather bugs not be fixed? There is no such thing as bug free software, so unlike Sony Nikon fixes stuff, sounds like good support rather than a problem to me.

Distortion control updates are just what they sound like. Basically it’s for jpeg/tiff shooters, to correct for barrel distortion in camera. It also inputs data into RAW files for Nikon’s software to read and auto correct. The camera obviously wouldn’t have data for lenses that were not out when it was released, so the data base needs updating.

Speaking of bugs..once bitten, twice shy. Especially after the debacle with my D3300. And then I'm hearing there are issues with the latest firmware and autofocusing. So, I'm not downloading anything, especially since I use all 3rd party lenses.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member

Good luck with the search Hiker. Comparing the specs on the A7Riii with the D850 doesn't offer much in the way of difference. I know some folks are keen on mirrorless for size and weight reasons. The D850 weighs just over a half pound more and is about an inch larger in width and height. Does that make that big a difference? At a similar price, for my purposes, the choice would not be all that difficult. I hope Nikon comes up with something to your liking.

If you carry two cameras plus two or three different lenses with you on a trip, the differences in dimensions and weight can add up to make some difference, especially if you travel by plane and have to take your gear aboard with you. For you it might not make a difference; for me (and I do weight training) it does. I often take three or four cameras on a trip, two of them for underwater photography, which means I also am burdened with their underwater enclosures, which adds more weight and size. The bigger the camera, the bigger its underwater case.

But that's only one factor. I concede the D850 is a great DSLR camera. However, I am DONE, DONE, DONE with having to fine tune my lenses. The accuracy and response of the AF of the D850 DSLR is unsurpassed for sports photography; field tests prove that. But don't ignore the fact that the acuity of the images from the D850 requires you give proper attention to tuning the camera and your favorite lenses for front/back focus. Can you avoid doing that? Not in my experience with my D7000, D800, and D7200. It makes a clear difference. If you shoot zooms, as I do, can you make one adjustment that works for all focal lengths and apertures? Not really, in my experience only if you are willing to make big compromises. The promise of mirrorless (still only partly kept but rapidly improving) is proper live focus without the pain and bother of having to fine tune my lenses. That's the principal attraction for me.

If you carry two cameras plus two or three different lenses with you on a trip, the differences in dimensions and weight can add up to make some difference, especially if you travel by plane and have to take your gear aboard with you. For you it might not make a difference; for me (and I do weight training) it does. I often take three or four cameras on a trip, two of them for underwater photography, which means I also am burdened with their underwater enclosures, which adds more weight and size. The bigger the camera, the bigger its underwater case.

But that's only one factor. I concede the D850 is a great DSLR camera. However, I am DONE, DONE, DONE with having to fine tune my lenses. The accuracy and response of the AF of the D850 DSLR is unsurpassed for sports photography; field tests prove that. But don't ignore the fact that the acuity of the images from the D850 requires you give proper attention to tuning the camera and your favorite lenses for front/back focus. Can you avoid doing that? Not in my experience with my D7000, D800, and D7200. It makes a clear difference. If you shoot zooms, as I do, can you make one adjustment that works for all focal lengths and apertures? Not really, in my experience only if you are willing to make big compromises. The promise of mirrorless (still only partly kept but rapidly improving) is proper live focus without the pain and bother of having to fine tune my lenses. That's the principal attraction for me.

I took my D3300 to South America 2 years ago. Had the then Sigma 17-70 and Nikkor 70-300 with me. I only shoot with one body. Yes the 850 is supposed to be an excellent camera. The equivalent is the Sony A7Riii. Both out of my price range. The A7iii is however in the realm of doable. And it is smaller than the 7200 and 750. Lighter as well. Especially if the one lens I will be carrying does the job of the now 3 landscape lenses. Like I said, once bitten twice shy regarding firmware updates. And I am not keen on fine tuning lenses. I don't shoot any primes. Only zooms. I am just getting into the Sony area to see if anyone fine tunes their lenses, etc. Will I switch? Not sure just yet. As for weight training, I started to do just that once again in my life. I hike and my job keeps me slim. Just need to beef up if you will!
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Thanks guys. For my uses it just doesn't seem to matter that much. I lug around a 6'6" 250 pound body. When I carry camera equipment it is for a specific purpose, so I seldom to never carry two on a trip and never more than one and at most two lenses on my person. A half pound of camera is simply not an important consideration for me. I'd be much better off shedding 20 pounds of weight off of me. Moreover, my D7200 and D610 are both within a couple of ounces of the 7Riii and both are better cameras than I am a photographer. I can see, though, that it is for you.

Likewise, lens calibration. I use Nikon glass and have never had a problem getting a lens spot on with 30 to 45 minutes playing with it. As long as I can get them sorted in short order, it's just not a deal, of any size. All I can say is good luck finding what you want. As I've said, probably too many times, I neither like nor trust Sony. I hope Nikon comes up with a winner.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Lot of talk about a curved sensor and lenses to go with it ..apart from the argument that it must be a dished sensor how will this impact existing lenses if implemented?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited May 2018
    I think the adapter needs a little bit of optics to correct for a curved sensor.

Edit: Or it just works but makes the photograps sharper in the corners. I realized that I don't know the answer to your question.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    snakebunk said:

I think the adapter needs a little bit of optics to correct for a curved sensor.

Edit: Or it just works but makes the photograps sharper in the corners. I realized that I don't know the answer to your question.

I also don't know the answer, but here is a bit of speculation: I believe most or all lenses already have a field curvature, and that curvature could actually be complimented by a curved sensor.
    Field curvature is, how should I put it, a “natural outcome of a simple lens design”.

Field curvature is mostly corrected in lens design. It is not entirely corrected on my 58 and 105 and I use that to my advantage when using those lenses.

It is perfectly corrected on my 60 and 200 macro and you want it to be on lenses like those.

It is a gotcha on my 14-24 2.8 and one should watch for it when shooting wide open.

If a sensor is curved, adapting a lens to have field curvature after it has been corrected not to have field curvature is at best inefficient, and at worst will produce unsatisfactory results.

I think that if Nikon uses a curved sensor, they are unlikely to get good results with an f-mount adapter.

However, if they can efficiently produce curved sensors with good quality control, that will be an advatage in lens design.

Think of the challenges, however. A regular sensor is a flat (in two dimensions) wafer. It is not enough to bend it in one dimension to make a curved sensor. Correcting for field curvature requires bending in two dimensions.

So you are not printing ont top of a flat wafer, but inside a very specifically sized ball, or perhaps a bowl.....
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I really don't see how you could make a "one size fits all (focal lengths)" adapter that would do a good job of changing a flat field of focus to a curved field.
  • A few recent observations.

I've always enjoyed the bird work of Arthur Morris, Birds As Art blog. AM has been at this as a career since the 90s and so many of his images, particularly on film, were landmark. A Canon mainstay, he recently started using the D850 with 600e and tc. Images are looking a bit closer to film than Canon counterparts. Better hit rates and tracking. Fine images.

So you have a possible career convert and same day went to Best Buy to look into non- photo electronics. Hanging near the photo area looking at a huahwei, i overheard a coached photo employee tell a lady that the advantage of mirrorless over dslr was all about the lesser weight, particularly with lenses. Given Sony lenses this is gross misinformation.

Next I went to check out Bose speakers and was solicited by an overly enthusiastic 20 something, smiling, attractive, energetic, athletic young blond lady wearing a Sony shirt in bold type. Being cynical I asked her if she was saying hello because she represented Sony or was just being nice. She said both.

What troubles me is that no other photo manufacturer was represented and Sony was front and center.

When Nikon has hit a homerun but Sony has center stage with advertising hype, coached misinformation, and managing to pay for gregarious sales staff, well you know...

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Good morning... I think i will hang out here for awhile to learn something..... Like when the Nikon mirrorless will arrive.... hope I make it....LOL

A very real issue is the weight of what I shoot motorsports with now...and the idea that an APS-C mirrorless, able to use slightly lighter weight lenses, may be the answer to extending my shooting days.
    Msmoto, mod
    You won't be getting lighter lenses with mirrorless, unless you get smaller (that sounds like a self evident statement with no point, but consider the weight of Sony mirrorless lenses).
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Maybe D500 and PF lenses Tommie?
    Always learning.
    Well the Olympus 4/3 has the pixel density but I don't see the lenses...100-400 would be great . I just got that reluctance to move from Nikon. I have an M5 but we call it holiday cam/ebay cam.
    I've been hearing lately about bird photographers selling their Nikon gear and switching to Olympus. Even very serious ones. Maybe that's a possibility if you want small but long lenses. Otherwise I agree with spraynpray, and I think/hope we will see more pf lenses.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited May 2018
    I guess the weight of the D4/400,2.8 is what I want to reduce... recently at VIR, one pro was shooting Fuji, the other Sony, both stated the results were good. The 100-400mm lenses were much lighter than what I was carrying.

But, then again, several had a 600 and 400 hanging, along with a 200-400 somewhere. Younger photographers, obviously...LOL

And, the D500 will be tried this weekend, 70-200 with either 1.4 or 2.0 converter....thanks Andrew...
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    flip said:

A few recent observations.

I've always enjoyed the bird work of Arthur Morris, Birds As Art blog. AM has been at this as a career since the 90s and so many of his images, particularly on film, were landmark. A Canon mainstay, he recently started using the D850 with 600e and tc. Images are looking a bit closer to film than Canon counterparts. Better hit rates and tracking. Fine images.

So you have a possible career convert and same day went to Best Buy to look into non- photo electronics. Hanging near the photo area looking at a huahwei, i overheard a coached photo employee tell a lady that the advantage of mirrorless over dslr was all about the lesser weight, particularly with lenses. Given Sony lenses this is gross misinformation.

Next I went to check out Bose speakers and was solicited by an overly enthusiastic 20 something, smiling, attractive, energetic, athletic young blond lady wearing a Sony shirt in bold type. Being cynical I asked her if she was saying hello because she represented Sony or was just being nice. She said both.

What troubles me is that no other photo manufacturer was represented and Sony was front and center.

When Nikon has hit a homerun but Sony has center stage with advertising hype, coached misinformation, and managing to pay for gregarious sales staff, well you know...

Years ago, in Best Buy, I overheard a "sales person" tell someone that DVD (which was just released) WAS HD. I quickly corrected her in front of the customer. They are for sure clueless when it comes to tech..and you do know what BOSE stands for right?? Buy Other Stereo Equipment!!
    I'm hanging out in the A7iii Facebook page to learn. The amount of people switching over to the new A7iii? Yikes!!! And it's both Nikon and Canon people. And it's several a day. But at least the Canon people that do switch can still use their lenses with Sony. and with excellent results. Still waiting until the holidays to see what I'm going to do. Nikon and Canon need to meet or exceed what the A7iii is capable of.
    What the A7iii is capable of will mostly depend on what the lenses are capable of.

Any other “advantage” or “deficiency” will be irrelevant in the next generation.

What the A7iii is capable of will mostly depend on what the lenses are capable of.

Any other “advantage” or “deficiency” will be irrelevant in the next generation.

Right now the A7iii is kicking Nikon and Canon's ass...And people that ordered the A7iii? It's like when Nikon released the 850. No stock to ship and sell. And guess what?? Canon people? They can use their excellent L line of glass with the MC-11 adaptor with little to no issues. Nikon people?? Nope! Shockingly they have issues using Nikon glass and an adaptor. Many are investing or have invested in the G or GM Sony glass when they upgrade or switch. Like I said, every single day many will say "just switched, ex Nikon or ex Canon".
    @Hiker: What is stopping you from buying a Sony camera? It sounds like you have already made up your mind.
    what stops us all doing anything is either money or women.