NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

1585960616264»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I have been thinking about the Z50 and Thom's comment that it would be possible, given the camera design, to upgrade the sensor to a full frame sensor with only a few modifications to the body.

This has me thinking. As you all know, I like big cameras and lenses because of their no compromise approach to image quality. But I often carry my Coolpix A around for day to day stuff.

Perhaps the upgrade from my aging (but still competent) Coolpix A is a Z5 (Z50 body with full frame sensor) paired with the "non-S" full frame 28mm and 40mm compact lenses in the recently updated roadmap. I suspect that the "non-S" micro 60mm is also a compact, just in the other row because it is a macro (I have a 60mm 2.8D macro and it is a useless lens as a macro - I always use my 200).

If the 60 is a compact and Nikon added a compact 20mm lens, that would be a nice 4 lens kit that I could carry all the time in my attaché case.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    I fully agree and chances are greater than 50-50 that some of the lenses on the roadmap are a type of "pancake" for two reasons: 1. Nikon calls them compact and 2. the kit lens collapses a lot more than the DSLR ones did which shows Nikon is interested in producing short stubby lenses. As to a full frame sensor in the Z50 (or other similar compact) body it certainly would work but chances are less than 50-50 we will see it soon because Nikon will want to drive sales to the additional Zx bodies it will be producing so will keep the Zxx body crop sensor for a while. I too still use my Coolpix A and would like to see a mirrorless replacement for it.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    That would be interesting. Especially if those lenses have VR.
    Anyone use eye AF on Z6/Z7 and found that it just quits focusing? I haven't used it much, but was using it yesterday, and it seemed like it just stopped. It still had the box around the eye but was noticeably out of focus. I moved the camera to another subject and it did focus but then when I went back to the person eye AF still wasn't behaving right. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Strange he, I only used it 2 sessions in the studio, not so much but it worked good there.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited November 2019
    mhedges said:

Anyone use eye AF on Z6/Z7 and found that it just quits focusing? I haven't used it much, but was using it yesterday, and it seemed like it just stopped. It still had the box around the eye but was noticeably out of focus. I moved the camera to another subject and it did focus but then when I went back to the person eye AF still wasn't behaving right. Am I doing something wrong?

I assume you were holding down AF-ON during the time so it would keep focusing? If so, did releasing and pressing AF-ON again help? Also, you were on AF-C not AF-S, correct?

You could also try these settings and see if it helps:

a3 to 1 (Quick)
    g4 to +5 (Faster) and When To Apply to "always"
    g5 to 1 (High)
    Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    BVS said:

mhedges said:

I assume you were holding down AF-ON during the time so it would keep focusing? If so, did releasing and pressing AF-ON again help? Also, you were on AF-C not AF-S, correct?

You could also try these settings and see if it helps:

a3 to 1 (Quick)
    g4 to +5 (Faster) and When To Apply to "always"
    g5 to 1 (High)
    Thanks. I was in AF-C doing the shutter half press, not using AF-ON (I rarely use the AF on button outside of tripod work). I did try letting up then pressing it again but it still wouldn't focus.

I'll check the other settings.