What would you like to see on follow up body to the D500? IE D510

nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
edited September 2018 in D300/D300s/D500
I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but let's start talk about what we'd like to see in a successor to the popular pro DX model?

These are my wish list.

1. 24-26 MP BSI CMOS sensor
2. Expeed6 processor
3. Full sensor 4K readout with 60fps and 120fps @ 1080
4. 4K timelapse
5. Full touch menu
6. Two card slots one XQD/CFExpress, one SD card
7. New video focusing system Ala Z6/Z7
8. D850 level weather sealing
9. USB charging with EN-EL 15B Battery
10. IBIS
11. $2200-$2400 for the body only

is it too early to even talk about the D500's replacement?
Post edited by nukuEX2 on
D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
Tagged:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I get the feeling that we won't be seeing any big bumps in the DSLR sector for a while, since I suspect Nikon's R&D is massively being sunk into the new mirrorless system. Between the "Pro" mirrorless camera they talked about, and the lenses in development on the roadmap provided, I cannot see much if any resources going else where for the next year or two.

Should the D500 be updated? Yes. Will it be within the next 12 months, I'm not sure. Maybe the D500 replacement won't be a DSLR, but a mirrorless?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I fully expect to not see a DSLR successor to the D500. ie i think it will be a DX mirrorless Z500
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    My only request would be to make it more like the D850 w/focus stacking and full frame 4K video. A touch screen menu would be nice.

Just a few small tweaks to keep it current.

framer
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I would buy it maybe (Z6 not matching it ) if it was 30 mp + and dumped the pro controls
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Personally I think it’s going to be hard to sell DX cameras at the $2k and up price point.
    mhedges said:

Personally I think it’s going to be hard to sell DX cameras at the $2k and up price point.

Fuji seems to get away with it with the XT cameras and other high end DX mirrorless cameras, why not Nikon?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

Fuji seems to get away with it with the XT cameras and other high end DX mirrorless cameras, why not Nikon?
    I think that Fuji is going to find this more challenging in the future. Despite the fact that the "base" loved the D500, it was not a huge financial success. I think that the future of DX is limited to budget cameras.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

I think that Fuji is going to find this more challenging in the future. Despite the fact that the "base" loved the D500, it was not a huge financial success. I think that the future of DX is limited to budget cameras.
    Agree, although I still think there is room for a 7xxx style enthusiast camera at $1200 tops. There are so many good FF options in the $1500-$2000 space. It’s going to be more competitive.

As far as Fuji, most of their models are not priced at $2000. And I’m not sure how well they sell, even given their very loyal and loud fan base.

PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

The reality is that the lower end of the market isn’t buying dedicated cameras as much, so Fuji and other brands, don’t have much choice. They have to get by selling fewer units at higher prices, or die. The First upper level Sony crop mirror less bodies were under $900, now they are $1399. The entire market is moving up in price. Entry level cameras used to be $399 (Nikon D40) while newer models are $499-599. The middle D70-D7000 were $999, now that space is $1299-1499. The D100-D300s were $1799, the D500 was $1999 at launch. The D700-D800 were $2500, D810, $2999, and D850 $3500. The D3 was $4999, the D5 $5999. Everything is going up market, no doubt about. The lauch price of the Z6&Z7 also point to this continuing in the future. I would expect a mirrorless D500 to be $2399 or more.
    PB_PM said:

PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

The reality is that the lower end of the market isn’t buying dedicated cameras as much, so Fuji and other brands, don’t have much choice. They have to get by selling fewer units at higher prices, or die. The First upper level Sony crop mirror less bodies were under $900, now they are $1399. The entire market is moving up in price. Entry level cameras used to be $399 (Nikon D40) while newer models are $499-599. The middle D70-D7000 were $999, now that space is $1299-1499. The D100-D300s were $1799, the D500 was $1999 at launch. The D700-D800 were $2500, D810, $2999, and D850 $3500. The D3 was $4999, the D5 $5999. Everything is going up market, no doubt about. The lauch price of the Z6&Z7 also point to this continuing in the future. I would expect a mirrorless D500 to be $2399 or more.
    Yes, and the mirrorless cameras seem to be more expensive then equivalent DSLRs.
    Yes ..at lest 30 mp and dump the pro controlls
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I like the pro controls

framer
    so tell me what you like ...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The D850 controls are soooperb I couldn't be more happy with them. I think they are the best implementation of the pro-control layout yet. The only bad thing about that camera as far as I am concerned is that it doesn't have U1, 2 & 3. In reality, it is such a peach to set up quickly that I am less bothered than I thought I would be. I do appreciate that your needs are different and you want a one-click solution though.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    framer said:

I like the pro controls

framer

Me too.. enjoying my d500 :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited September 2018

The D850 controls are soooperb I couldn't be more happy with them. I think they are the best implementation of the pro-control layout yet. The only bad thing about that camera as far as I am concerned is that it doesn't have U1, 2 & 3. In reality, it is such a peach to set up quickly that I am less bothered than I thought I would be. I do appreciate that your needs are different and you want a one-click solution though.

Yes, I love the pro controls as well. Just give us the user modes and dump the useless banks. Either that or make the banks save all settings and have them work like the user modes. As they are now the banks are less useful, since they don’t return to the default settings, making them less practical. It’s the only thing I miss when switching between my D750 and D810 bodies.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited September 2018

I love the pro controls...………..

give us the user modes and dump the useless banks...………….

Exactly but it seems you cannot have one without the other.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    It seems like such a simple solution. They could just add a few to the mode button. No need to waste precious dial space for something that most people I know don't use, though I understand that there are those that love it.
    edited September 2018
    I wouldn't want the model dial, it's useless. Just change the banks so they function like the user modes, so they are actually useful.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

I wouldn't want the model dial, it's useless. Just change the banks so they function like the user modes, so they are actually useful.

Do you mean you don't want the mode dial? Or you don't like the idea of using the mode button? Your idea is simple too. But I wonder if there is a small group of photographers that Nikon might piss off by changing the banks?
    I mean there is no need to add entry level features to the pro bodies to add the improved functionality. Nothing more.
    Sure, just a firmware update on the mode button. Perfect.
    Always learning.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member

Clearly some people absolutely detest the banks and want non-pro “U” modes. Others like pro controls as they are.

Isn’t this the ideal dilemma for a manufacturer, where their problem can be so easily fixed by just a bit of easy to do firmware programming? They can give their customers a switchable choice which would make 100% of them happy.

What possible reason could Nikon have over the years for not doing this simple firmware tweak?
    @HankB:
    Pro/non-pro is simply down to fitness for purpose therefore U1 beats the current pro-controls and is therefore more 'pro' than the existing old fashioned version.

Can you tell me which pro likes the current 'pro' system and get why explained because I may be missing something?
    Always learning.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member

@HankB:

Can you tell me which pro likes the current 'pro' system and get why explained because I may be missing something?

Good point, but it is moot. As long as the solution is such a simple firmware tweak, Nikon doesn't have to choose whose ox to gore. They can satisfy absolutely everyone by adding this simple menu choice. There is no downside to offer banks as an alternative even if few will choose that alternative.

The only one who can complain about this solution is the "professional complainer" (a permanently unhappy breed) who will lament that there are now a million and one menu line items — up from an even million.

BTW: Pigheaded decisions often persist because a high ranking individual sees it as face saving. So by retaining banks as an alternative (even though few will choose it) the high ranking individual can sign off on the change while maintaining his all-important face.