D7100

Comments

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Just out of interest would any of you guys be thinking of getting it with the kit lens? I do not have this lens and have not used it but I am not sure it is worth getting. I could see it might be a reasonable walking around camera but I would think that the 18-200 may be the better choice in this situation as you get the extra reach.
    Depends on which lenses you already have. I have no interest in it, but I built my kit already from my D5000 and just want a new body now. If you don't already have lenses then might be ok to get.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • BrainBeatBrainBeat Posts: 54Member

Depends on which lenses you already have. I have no interest in it, but I built my kit already from my D5000 and just want a new body now. If you don't already have lenses then might be ok to get.
    I am in the same boat just was wondering if anyone here who already has lenses would actually consider buying it with this lens especially if you did not have it or the other walk around lenses.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Just out of interest would any of you guys be thinking of getting it with the kit lens? I do not have this lens and have not used it but I am not sure it is worth getting. I could see it might be a reasonable walking around camera but I would think that the 18-200 may be the better choice in this situation as you get the extra reach.
    Hi

Like most questions, the answer depends upon what kind of photography you like doing and what kind of kit you want to build.

The lenses you want to generally have - in broad strokes - cover wide, normal and telephoto - and generally fairly fast for lower light abilities and some VR for easier hand holding, where you can get it, and metal bodies for better longevity and weather sealing. You can check Adobe Bridge or Adobe Premiere Elements Media Manager to look at the EXIF data to get a hint to see what photos you like taking to find what your priorities should be on focal lengths.

Reading specifications will help with size and weights, too.

Remember, at 200mm, that's a 300mm equivalent have to pump up the ISO and use a high shutter speed to avoid movement, and I'm guessing that the lens has some aberrations, even if it's 'pretty good'. Most kit lens strike balances - I have two kit lens and use them all the time, they'e the best bang for the buck.

My best,

Mike

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Mike: That would be the 18-105VR and the...?
    Always learning.
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    Just out of interest would any of you guys be thinking of getting it with the kit lens?
    No. I have all the lenses I need. And I am extremely picky about my lenses, thus the only DX lens I have is the Samyang 8mm fisheye, and the only other I would have is the Tokina 11-16mm.

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Great. Next week is official sales start :) Looking forward to get a copy together with a grip.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@spraynpray
    That would be the 18-105VR and the...?
    The 18-55mm. But, I'm a lens addict and have far too many. The 10-24mm, 17-55mm, 70-300mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 60 and 105mm Micros just to name the ones that I carry all the time.

My best,

Mike
  • ZSChowZSChow Posts: 72Member
    I just managed to try a D7100 out at the Nikon booth at the Focus on Imaging show in Birmingham. The camera is like they say, a D600 style body, so it actually feels slightly more substantial than the D7000. Buttons are all where it's expected. Got 6 shots out of the buffer so it's not too bad either. No test shots though, I really should have tested the hi-iso capabilities.
    Don't try, don't know, so I keep trying.
    No test shots though, I really should have tested the hi-iso capabilities.
    This is probably the biggest thing I would like to see before I do put my money down. This is assuming there are also no manufacturing faults that are yet to appear. The few high iso images that have been released are too small of a sample size to fully make up my mind but so far look more noisy that I would have hoped. I guess however that a lot of the images I may take will be only medium sized (or less) this noise should be much less of an issue.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Agreed. I thought the sample photos on Nikon's website were particularly unhelpful.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    So when can I expect a little more discounting on a D7000 body. I'm starting to get an itchy wallet finger.

(Help me @-) . . . teh NAS is strong!)
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • pigsharkpigshark Posts: 3Member
    im in the market for a new camera too, im hoping the d7000 decreases in price shortly after the 7100 is released.
    edited March 2013
    One thing I have been wondering about and I hope one of you guys might know will photos taken in crop mode have the same properties as a DX just cropped (what I think it should be) or like a CX camera? As I have not used a full frame camera enough to know the difference when in crop mode I am just curious to know if using the new 7100 in crop mode might effect DOF etc.
    Post edited by BrainBeat on
  • ReeseReese Posts: 11Member
    Looks like flickr has some hi-iso sample photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond7100/discuss/72157632988029460/

Looks legit to me!
    Reese: Thanks for the link. I would say high ISO noise control is quite good.
    You're welcome! I agree, the high-ISO looks fantastic! I hope mine ships tomorrow!
    Reese: when you receive yours start posting shots taken with it at different ISOs on PAD and link them to the original size photo for examination 100%.
    Yikes that looks very usable to 6400 to me, even 12800 may be savable. The NAS is strong - aaaaargh - got-to-hold-on-for-the-D-400.....
    Always learning.
    edited March 2013
    Hi spraynpray :-h

it will come, this D400, and it will be supergreat and lovely and fast like heck. Just a couple of months to wait. Meanwhile we early D7100 adopters will entertain you with bugs, less nice features, lots to complain about (as Nikon never does anything right /irony OFF ) and hopefully a few nice photos - lean back and enjoy the show. >:D<
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Noooo, don't post photos! :o3
    Always learning.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    picture wise it looks ok, I'll most likely go to photo show next week and try to test it myself. maybe they will have some final examples to put card in it so I could share the snaps with You.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    just got an email that d7100 is fully available in one of the major photo stores in Poland. price: 4599.00 PLN (body only) = 1450 USD / 1100 EUR :(
    This cam will not be a substitute for D400. Some things are nice on it, some other things I'll get used too (I guess). It feels more plasticky, the shutter sound (in my ears) is more entry level than flagship of consumer.

Biggest disappointment at the moment is AF, but this I need to verify. With the 85/1.4 it needs quite a bit adjustment, but this I have to check properly. But the exposure metering, which was always a bit to the bright side on D7000 is excellent.

Very nice are the rubber flaps on the side - you don't need to open the whole gate if you just want the firrst socket - clearly improved. No more transport protection of the screen and the screen itself is improved resolutionwise. Bottom plate is now full plastic like D5100, no more rubber. Handling? Who already knows a D7000 will not see a lot of difference.

Please take that post as what it is: A very quick impression of a camera I own since 1 1/2 hours, don't overrate anything I said so far. Tonight I'll play a bit with the settings.
    I called Amazon today and they are saying that they may not have any until April 9th? Really Amazon? I am hoping the person I talk to this morning doesn't know that they are getting a shipment in today! I per-ordered it the day it was announced! Disappointing...
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2Member
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I am wondering about the Amazon shipping details as well, as I preordered it the day it was announced too. I emailed them and the response I got gave absolutely no information about the shipping date, even though I asked.... I guess we will see.

Post edited by Andrew on