Post all forum problems here

Comments

• PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    It would make a lot of us happy if we could delete our own posts - is that possible Peter?
    I can enable the delete post button, my concern was that if you delete the main discussion, all comments after that will not make sense.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Anyone know how to ERASE a draft that I don't need anymore ?

I also have an "UNANSWERED" that I can neither see what it is about or erase. The "1" stays on even though I click & open it.
    If you go to your drafts, there will be a small x in the top right corner once you mouse over. Click it and the draft will be deleted.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Thanks Peter - that was well "hidden" :-)
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited December 2012
    what would You like to change the name to ? [Adam, I changed it for them - JA]
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Paperman, I took my kids to Wreck-it Ralph and thought of you when I saw the title of the short before the movie started. It's Paperman. 
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It would make a lot of us happy if we could delete our own posts - is that possible Peter?
    I can enable the delete post button, my concern was that if you delete the main discussion, all comments after that will not make sense.
    Maybe if the delete button was only available on a duplicate post (same poster twice in succession) and is available via the edit facility?  That way if somebody chooses to post twice they can, but if it is a mistake they can delete?
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Why not just edit your post to say "delete me please" and let the mods take care of it?
    Mainly because they have enough to do and if it is easily possible to give us the ability to erase our mistakes, why not let us?  It seems I am not the only one who is asking for this and also, it is available on the other forum I'm on.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    With the new forum the mods are bored silly. Nothing to do :-)
    Yeah, nothing to do but participate in discussions. What's with that?
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited December 2012
    JA - maybe we should just go out and pick up some chicks :) but seriously, indeed the new forum gives us more time to do what we supposed to do - moderate and not be a spam fighters. on the old forum, there was rarely a time when after logging in there were no spam, and where more users registered from the ShenZen location than from any other. 
    Post edited by adamz on
    edited December 2012
    "and where more users registered from the ShenZen location than from any other" 
    What's That all about?  I thought China had a firewall that stopped stuff - so, what - they allow spammers to screw up our sites?  I can't believe they think that we will buy the cr@p they link to after that?

I have to admit to being naive about all this, can anybody point me to a place where I can find out more?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    This may have been covered and if so, I apologize.

We used to be able to add a single topic as an RSS feed. This was VERY useful for anything you wanted to keep track of without visiting the site, like PAD.

Is there any way to add that with the new forum?

Thanks,
    Ben
    D600 | AF-S 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED | AF 20mm 1:2.8 D | SB-800
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_v3/
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    About ShenZhen.....about twenty or more new members a day were registering.  Then they posted long diatribes on Ugs or some other thing. And, I already have my fake Rolex. . :-))  While you were reading and posting we were blocking accounts and deleting spam.  So, now it is about keeping things civil...and for those who need a name change... I might be able to do this.

Actually, I am busy attempting to gather information for photo opportunities in Colorado.....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    This may have been covered and if so, I apologize.

We used to be able to add a single topic as an RSS feed. This was VERY useful for anything you wanted to keep track of without visiting the site, like PAD.

Is there any way to add that with the new forum?

Thanks,
    Ben
    You can get the RSS feed for every category here: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/categories/all
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    So I have been trying to get to the "PM" private messages inbox and am having a hell of a time finding it.  I click forever and everything and finely it pops up.  It seems it is under "activity"?

Anyway, confusing as hell (at least for me) and "Activity" as a descriptor for your PM in-box is 100% wrong term - really wrong, really really really wrong.  It should be "Private messages", or mail box.  

I'm not sure you can change that or not, but it would help.  

Oh and the pop up of "You've asked questions that now have answers" is really really annoying - it's always in the way for me.  My computer thread has dozens of unrelated posts - why do I have to click all of or any of the answers?  

Neat tools with the new site - other than my nit-pickyness on some tweaks - I think it is very good, and you rolled it out very well!
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    If you look bottom right on the home page and click inbox, there is a big grey button that appears with 'start discussion' on it - easier than the old forum really.

Also, you can change notifications easily too.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2012
    TTJ, I changed your thread to a discussion instead of a question (question is default). If you ever accidentally start a question again, just know the way to fix it is to edit the first post and click on the 'Start a New Discussion' button, then save it. That will avoid the pop-ups.
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
    As I mentioned earlier - is there a way to remove all extraneous lines between quotes and text?  Perhaps putting a line like this ---------------------------------- between the quote and the posters comment?  It would save space on the page and make things clearer.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2013
    As I mentioned earlier - is there a way to remove all extraneous lines between quotes and text?  Perhaps putting a line like this ---------------------------------- between the quote and the posters comment?  It would save space on the page and make things clearer.
    I am wondering if this works?
    So, I clicked the <> icon and then brought the text up to the last line of the quote.  But, this may be changed in the future....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2013
    I am wondering if this works?
    So, I clicked the <> icon and then brought the text up to the last line of the quote.  But, this may be changed in the future....
    You mean like this?

EDIT: I think you can do that without using the <> but you can easily delete some code and screw it all up (as I have done before).

It would be good if the blue highlighting stayed after posting to separate the quote from the text - that would save the space taken by  line too.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Not a problem, but a suggestion: Can you pin the 'deals' thread to the front page? Would hate to miss a good one. 
    @shawnino: you can bookmark the discussion by clicking the star on the right - that way you will be receiving emails for every newly posted comment and hopefully not miss a deal. I prefer not to pin this discussion to the very top.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    I think this is coming from the Wysiwyg editor. I have another solution which I will enable in 2-3 days.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    BTW: can You make the forum width at least 1024px? 
    I'll upvote/+1 that. 

Or is it possible to make it a user adjustable setting, so we can manage that for ourselves? 
    ;)
    I like it as it is ..  can I down vote that one :-)
    Self managed settings would be good.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.