Post all forum problems here

15678911»

Comments

• @ Dredden85 You were right. I had the latest updated IE version 9 and Micro$oft always surprise you with something stupid. I installed the version 10 now (that is a preview) and it is o.k. again.

See what happens next.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    maybe with IE v 25 we finally get a product that is 100% compatible with html code :) but seriously, there are many hassle free web browsers to use: chrome, safari are the top one on my personal list.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just so everyone is aware....where are the drafts saved?
    Msmoto, mod
    TEST...qwerty12345 now to "save draft"

OK, once we have actually pressed "Save Draft" above our composing window, it will show up in the lower left corner as "Draft Saved" and the time.

On the Front page where all the threads are listed, at the top should be a button called "My Drafts" And, this is where they are.....I think....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    edited February 2013
    I could not find any "My Drafts" on any page. Maybe I'm off on which page is the "Front" page.

I'm still looking to see where the "save draft" is actually stored at. Lost a really good post that took a long time to write. At first when I posted it, It looked like a double post, then when I edited the 2nd (dbl) post, it knocked out the first one.
    Post edited by TaoTeJared on
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Tao - if in doubt always F5. 99 times out of 100 the situation repairs itself.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @TTJ the URL is:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussions
    At the top of the page it says:
    "All discussions, my discussions, my drafts"
    If you have not saved any drafts, the option is not there. Unfortunately, it requires a good click, possibly two to save a draft.
    Msmoto, mod
    I see people are still thinking they have a duplicate post and so delete the duplicate only to find the original has gone too.

In all cases the duplicate is a phantom and will disappear if one refreshes the screen leaving the one original post. Sometime half a thread appears as duplicated - that too is a phantom and disappears if F5 or refresh page in the browser is clicked.

HTH.
    Always learning.
    If one reloads the page, then deletes the duplicate post, one should still have the original intact. The Administration is aware of the problems.
    Msmoto, mod
    I have often seen the duplicate posting situation but never has deleting the (phantom) post done anything other than cause the original posting to disappear because - in reality - there is no second post! Last time I saw the effect of people deleting second posts and losing both was a few days ago when JJ_SO who had a single posting in a thread which just said words to the effect of "darned double posting deleted" and there was no other posting.
    Always learning.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I'm sure I didn't use "darn" ;) but the rest is correct. Sometimes I forget to copy a longer post. I use to refresh before deleting, but in that case the refresh (which is ⌘+R in Safari on Mac OS, not F5) still showed me two similar posts. Depends also on the browsers - IE behaves better, iPad and Safari are also okay, but Safari on Mac OS really gets on my nerves. Sometimes.

Worst was to loose half an hour of typing for a PM. For that I used some stronger words than darn, but didn't write them. I guess, it is very demanding to the software, all those external links to flickr and other picture storing places, as well as the resizing of them takes time. I'm not used to such unreliable software behavior, but it's the first time I'm in a photo forum. Others might be worse in that aspect.
    In a long post, I will do this on a notepad, then copy and paste to the forum. This ensures I do not have the "disappearing act" which is very frustrating if one is try ing to explain a complex issue...not that I have the capability to do so, but occasionally I will try...

Life is a mystery...
    Msmoto, mod
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    edited April 2013
    Similarly, if I start getting long on what I initially thought was just going to be a quick comment, I'm trying to get into the habit of doing a text and then a right click , so if the post goes FUBAR at least I still have it that I can do a repaste. Or just as Msmoto suggests, use Notepad from the start. This isn't the only forum software with these problems.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    lol; apparently Murphy was close by when I posted.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    edited April 2013
    Similarly, if I start getting long on what I initially thought was just going to be a quick comment, I'm trying to get into the habit of doing a text "select all" and then a right click "copy", so if the post goes FUBAR at least I still have it that I can do a repaste. Or just as Msmoto suggests, use Notepad from the start. This isn't the only forum software with these problems.

Comment reposted. Text recovered just fine when I clicked on "Edit".

Apparently the use of the right or left arrow keys gives unusual results. Who knew?
    Post edited by dissent on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Save draft is your friend. Worst case is you go back to the last draft saved. Also when I do get the dreaded double post, i first copy the entire content into the paste buffer so I can just paste (control/command-v) the post back into a fresh edit window if things go bad.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I'm getting a ton of double-posts today... not sure why.
    @Ade: Nobody knows why, but see the posts further up this page to learn how to avoid them.
    Always learning.