Post all forum problems here

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I can't post from my phone. I type and nothing shows up in the compose box. If it helps, I'm on Android Jelly Bean using Chrome version 18.0.1025469

This will probably save my thumb some grief. Sometimes I get started on a 'quick' post and it ends up being not so quick.
    Same for me, Cant edit from my phone .. just drops out of the edit box after I type a few letters. Had a look around google and Vanila(this forum software) has a mobile theme that should be automatically triggered. But I don't seem to see it from my phone.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I still don't have a solution for mobile devices. Il have one plugin that may fix the issue, but I need to test it first before deploying. The problem is that I cannot attach a mobile device to my test environment.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Are you aware of the text size varying through our posts Peter?  Even if I drag select and set the font size when I am about to post, it still comes up in the default size and size 3 that people seem to prefer.

I suppose one solution is you change the default to size 3 if that is possible?
    Always learning.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Peter:
    Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.
  • manuelamanuela Posts: 10Member
    I have a question: how can I post comments in the blog? Thank you, Manuela
    Regards,
    Manuela
    You don't have to be registered to post a comment on the blog, just click on a topic and scroll down to the comment section.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    one thing about phones. I can pretty much do anything from ipad but have limited options on iphone. the wyswig editor is not working on both. 
    Peter - as for commenting, I think You just have to change the parameter on what is inserted when we click the quote button, should be quite easy to do. 
    fonts - I don't like the idea to manipulate with font sizes, so maybe You could turn that WYSWIG feature off (WYSWIG bar is fully customisable), if someone will like to change hers/his font-size it's gonna be possible from the code, though in majority we will get rid of font differences between particular posts. 
    Adam, I will be on the road tomorrow, but starting Friday I'll be doing several changes on the forum. I am currently in Tennessee and do not have access to my test environment.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    sure Peter, take Your time and have a safe road home. 
    BTW: love Tennessee, so beautiful state
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Am I the only one who misses having page number links at the top and bottom of the thread?

I understand wanting to keep the blog and forum uniform, but I would rather have the foum's old color scheme back. 
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    @JA - You have the page number at the bottom, though I agree with You that it would be nice to have them at top too
    @Jonny - no you're not.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Am I the only one who misses having page number links at the top and bottom of the thread?

I understand wanting to keep the blog and forum uniform, but I would rather have the foum's old color scheme back. 
    Nope, I think it would be nice as well.
    Msmoto, mod
    Maybe this will help all the fans of the black background: http://lifehacker.com/5912480/how-to-invert-your-browsers-colors-for-easier-reading-at-night

Even dpreview created their new site with white background: http://connect.dpreview.com/ and I think they are one of the few sites still using black background.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    edited January 2013
    re: colour theme.. I think what makes it worst is the Black bands on the left and right.. make the white that much brighter.. a light grey band may help...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited January 2013
    You are right hearty, that may help a bit.

There is a huge difference between reading a black on white books or newspapers which are illuminated by incident light and viewing a monitor which is back-lit so i am going to give the Chrome extension a try.

I will never understand this migration to black on white - even if the whole world does it.

Edit:  I just added the extension and it doesn't help because - as Hearty said - those big black bands down the sides.  Trouble is now they are white so the screen still burns into your eyes.  I have to step away now, it's all too bright.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I keep forgetting to post that I am getting a very high occurrence of 'no data received' pop-ups when navigating the new site - not elsewhere.  The error code say 'Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.'

Hope that helps Peter.
    Always learning.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    I don't know if it's only me but I find it incredibly hard following quotes ( differentiating between what part is the quote and what part is the actual reply/comment ) . Sometimes the paragraph ( is it called " the indent " ? ) is there and sometimes not and with the freedom to be able to change fonts, it is all a mix now. Especially hard if you are trying to follow up a 2-3 page topic from a couple of days behind.

Just have a look at the "do all kit lenses function poorly" topic and see if you can tell quotes from comments. It shouldn't be this difficult.
    Spraynpray said: +1

:))
    Always learning.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Wish this site had a black background as before; can live without it.

Agreed w/Paperman about the quotes; having a heard time making sense of the status quo. There are multiple solutions here on other platforms; not sure what tools Peter has in this box. Other sites separate off quoted text by indenting it with long horizontal lines (or vertical lines as in the old forum) that act as bumpers. 

My favourite, though, are those sites that set the quoted text in a colour field different from the background. There's no realistic shot of that on a black background without making the page look like somebody's vomiting psychotropic drugs on it, but if we're sticking with white, what about setting the quoted text off in an inoffensive soft colour. A very light blue (softer than photorumours blue) might work. Something unobtrusive, but a subliminal visual cue that "this is quoted text". 
    edited January 2013
    Peter, thanx for your answer. I did that already, I can read the comments, but there is no button or text entry section. Maybe this is a browser thing, but Chrome shows me the same.
    Regards, Manuela
    Post edited by manuela on
    Regards,
    Manuela
    edited January 2013
    @manuela:  Have you tried clicking on the 'read more' link?  I just did that and the opportunity to add comments is there towards the bottom

EDIT- I use Chrome too.  
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    @manuela:  Have you tried clicking on the 'read more' link?  I just did that and the opportunity to add comments is there towards the bottom

EDIT- I use Chrome too.  
    Yes, I did. O.k. now I found the link "post a comment". It works only with Chrome, not with Firefox, probably due to the ad blocking and other addons.
    Thanks again,
    Manuela
    Regards,
    Manuela
    Just had a cool issue. I went into a thread i have not been in and the comment box was full of text from someone else's post ! LOL.  probably one of those one off bugs ..:-)

I recently typed a response to a post then decided not to post it, I used the back button to return to the main page.  Since then, that text randomly appears in the reply box in spite of me deleting it several times.

Beeeezaaar!
    Always learning.