Too lazy to start a new thread..

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2013
    Also didnt most rangefinders have leaf shutters in the lens ?
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2013
    Thoughts on the D7100? Has it had any of the dust problems or anything that the D600 has? I am really thinking about getting one now that the refurbs are showing up for $850. I haven't had a chance to read the whole D7100 thread so was hoping someone else had ;)
    If you don't have a D7000, I would say just go for it.
    A rangefinder is already mirrorless, just saying.

It is possible, to use the mount, but the size of the lenses might not be the same if they were to include any kind of auto focus system.
    Hmm, sounds like it could be promising.
    Also didnt most rangefinders have leaf shutters in the lens ?
    You're probably right, but I don't see how it couldn't have an electronic shutter along with a mechanical way of triggering the lens's leaf shutter.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Fuji uses leaf shutters in X mount lenses don't they, or was that only in the X100 series?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited October 2013
    heartyfisher" Also didnt most rangefinders have leaf shutters in the lens

Yes but those with interchangeable lenses, Canon, Contax , Leica, Nikon had focal plane shutters

The Contax G2 had auto focus

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2013
    Man did we lose a thread ?? :-( Why ! PS .. its back .. maybe i was seeing things.. (or not seeing in this case :-) )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wish Nikon had put the D610 sensor in a D800 body and called it a D710... Easy (cheap) R&D and a camera that everybody is gagging for.

Suppose somebody will say it would take sales from the D800 but IMHO it would take sales from the D610 and as it costs more than the D610 that would not be a bad thing for Nikon.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @spraynpray

"D610 sensor in a D800 body"…. kinda scary as this is what I am thinking as well….. but I do not remember eating any lead shot as a child….mmmm
    Msmoto, mod
    [-X :D
    Always learning.
    I tried the 24-120 on a D600 yesterday, WOW that VR is worlds apart from my 16-85. I suppose mine is VR1 and the 24-120 is VR3? Once the VR3 locks on, it seems stuck to the target much more than I've experienced before.

I really need Nikon to put that VR on my 16-85.

Most impressive was that the D600/610 has a kick-ass sensor in low light 6400 ISO!
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited December 2013
    The D610 sensor in a D800 body. Now that has my interest and would motivate me to migrate to FF. Especially with a good FPS and Exceeds 4 chip.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Manual flash mode:

SO, the flash talks to the body and knows its guide number, the body knows what the aperture is set to and the lens should know what the distance is to the object in focus - why is manual flash mode so clunky to use? You could just focus on the subject and if the flash symbol in the viewfinder isn't flashing, fire away! If it is, increase the ISO until it isn't or have auto ISO take care of that for you too.

?
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Or take a look at the shot and histogram make adjustments and shoot again. Welcome to the digital age ;-)
    I think my idea is better Ironheart - no guessing, right every time.
    Always learning.
    Why do Nikon incorporate a level of zoom into their screens that causes pixelisation? If the highest zoom level was sharp, you would know whether you had nailed the shot but even the highest MP bodies pixelise when zoomed all the way in. I have to go all the way in and back out two clicks to assess sharpness. If it is the screen res that limits it, just lose the last two levels of zoom.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2013
    "Why do Nikon incorporate a level of zoom into their screens that causes pixelisation?"

Exactly! I have to do the same thing and I think it has to do with the fact one is magnifying the image on the LCD readout and not the image itself. But, the last one or two zoom levels on the back of the camera are never sharp due to this pixel breakdown.

As to why? Who knows?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    One thing you may want to check on the LCD setting is how far the zoom is actually taking place. On my D4, I have the center button on my multi selector center button (F1) set to Medium Magnification (via the Playback mode set to Zoom on/off).

Give that a try and see if it address the pixilation you are talking about.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    One thing you may want to check on the LCD setting is how far the zoom is actually taking place. On my D4, I have the center button on my multi selector center button (F1) set to Medium Magnification (via the Playback mode set to Zoom on/off).

Give that a try and see if it address the pixilation you are talking about.

I owe you one

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
    Got any tips relevant to the D7000/D7100?
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @spraynpray: Unfortunately the feature I mentioned above is not available on the D7000....wish it was. Do not know or have a D7100 to see if they have updated the user interface on the menu system to see if that feature is offered. I know it is on all FX bodies however.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • ricochetricochet Posts: 54Member
    @spraynpray: Unfortunately the feature I mentioned above is not available on the D7000....wish it was. Do not know or have a D7100 to see if they have updated the user interface on the menu system to see if that feature is offered. I know it is on all FX bodies however.

That feature IS enabled on the D7100.

edited December 2013
    HAH! @ricochet: You beat me to posting by 20 mins! I found it in the manual yesterday. Setting the zoom level to 'hi' means you go straight to the highest zoom level before pixelisation starts.

The D7100 is quite a lot different to the D7000 - it has a more refined UI as well as the performance upgrade.

No wonder it got camera of the year!

Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Lightroom 4.4 just crashed big time. I pressed export, the program 'flinched' and hung. Dead now. I couldn't make it work so uninstalled and reinstalled it - still same problem. Next is to uninstall bridge and PSCC.

GRRR!
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2014
    Lightroom 4.4 just crashed big time. I pressed export, the program 'flinched' and hung. Dead now. I couldn't make it work so uninstalled and reinstalled it - still same problem. Next is to uninstall bridge and PSCC.

GRRR!
    I had a similar problem last year
    computer needed new hard drive

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited January 2014
    Yikes I hope not - it's a flash drive and less than a year old! I upgraded to LR5 and I think the shock of me opening my wallet made the problem go away :))

The list of things that I did is long and each one of them should have fixed it but none of them did. I don't understand it, I'm just happy it went away!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

GRRR!
    Are you on a PC or a Mac? Any chances you can recover using a backup?

Sorry to hear that!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S