Nikon D610 discussion

Comments

• SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Regarding the AA filter, I'd be surprised to see it there considering the sequence of recent releases having progressively less of one and then finally none at all with the D7100.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • aodwozaodwoz Posts: 89Member
    edited September 2013
    I would give a shot if I can still use my MB-D14 on D610.

oh btw, Nikon will makes D610 just like the way they have done to D800 for D800E. AA filter, 51 point AF system. For large buff capacity I doubt it. Because it may affect D4 sale. And of course considering his rival Canon 6D Mark II, Nikon would do whatever it takes to makes D610 better than 6D Mark II. So....upgrading to 61 point AF system then? LoL
    Post edited by aodwoz on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Aodwoz said:
    And of course considering his rival Canon 6D Mark II, Nikon would do whatever it takes to makes D610 better than 6D Mark II. So....upgrading to 61 point AF system then? LoL

Good point. They just need one or two improvements over the D600.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Nikon don't choose specs to save money, they want to leave a clear and worthwhile upgrade path. If the D600 had been like any other Nikon DSLR and not soiled itself, they would have sold really well - although some of us would still be bleating wanting more spec for the same money. I think overall the market would still be happy with it so I think that IF there are any changes in the D610 they will be absolutely minimal and just enough for Nikon to be able not to say the interim model launch is to rectify a problem with the D600. The will still want to make the jump to D800 worthwhile i.e. keep the line between prosumer and professional bodies clear.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2013
    ok so besides the oily fix what exactly does your crystal ball tell you will be in the specs ?
    1) So far every one expects 51 AF points with F8 capability.
    2) No AA filter .. but I think that is highly unlikely as i belief the pixel density needs to be high ie at least 15MP in crop mode and the D600 has only about 10MP in DX crop mode.

err .. anything else ?
    3) 1/8000 sec ?
    4) 1.2 crop mode ? I hope they could put in a 4:5 DX crop mode :-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I think it would be wise to try not to let hope triumph over reality but because this game is fun, I will take a punt on the changes being nothing expensive so no AA filter and maybe 1/8000 as I expect they had to change the shutter assembly :P

Of course I have no real idea of what will go down, my guesses are based on Nikon not being flush at the moment and that because of that the bean counters may be keeping the reigns tight.
    Always learning.
  • aodwozaodwoz Posts: 89Member
    edited September 2013
    I recently study Nikon, among the cameras like D5100, D5200, D800, D800E, D7000, D7100. Here is what I found.

For each digit upgrade, they will improve the resolution of CMOS sensor and AF system. For instance, D5k series went from 11 point to 39 point AF sys. D7k series went from 39 point to 51 point. so it makes sense that D610 will have 51 point AF sys instead of 39 point.

then lets talk about shutter speed. I dont think this kind of change will happen to D610. Here is why, generally, they dont do that at the same series. D5k use 1/4000, 1/200 for sync flash speed and D7k/D800(E) use faster shutter speed - 1/8000, 1/250 for sync flash speed. So are they going to break their concept? I guess not.

For people may be thinking No AA filter for D610. Well, what I learn from D800 and D800E, even D7000 and D7100 for AA filter is that it does cost money. And if that is the case - they are really putting this concept into D610, then not only they are going to raise the price for it, but D810 will be released soon. Do you think they will put this kind of pressure on themselves? Yes and No. I would say Yes. because it is a win win situation, as consumer finally we get ride of AA filter, but we have to pay more. :/

some people may wonder 'Wait what D810, that sounds exciting. and what does D810 offer? well, I think improved continue shooting mode speed up to 6.5 FPS. at least 6 FPS. :D 61 point AF sys, improved Low right performance. No AF issue whatsoever, and etc.

There may be one unusual thing will happen to Nikon is the resolution for d610 will remain the same. Maybe not, they come up like 28 MP camera. lol and that makes sense that D610 will adopt the path of D7100 and D800E for AA filter.

adding new technology? please.....:D

No Crop mode - I call it Crap mode .lol crap mode is only for DX cameras.
    No larger LCD screen lol
    No CF card slot.

Overall, D610 will be exciting for both enthusiast and professional photographer.
    Post edited by aodwoz on
    Aodwoz. Nice evaluation. It certainly will be fun to see what they do change and the one or two items they improve besides the dust issue.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    my ten penny worth

51 ( or more ) AF points
    8 fps (with battery pack)
    ISO100 - 102800 ( no Hi setting)

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Highly unlikely, unless Nikon intends to push the D610 as a sports camera, rather than an entry level FX body.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
    I think it would be wise to try not to let hope triumph over reality but because this game is fun, I will take a punt on the changes being nothing expensive so no AA filter and maybe 1/8000 as I expect they had to change the shutter assembly :P

Of course I have no real idea of what will go down, my guesses are based on Nikon not being flush at the moment and that because of that the bean counters may be keeping the reigns tight.
    I think you are quite right the real reason this model will be released is to fix a customer satisfaction problem without losing face, the bean counters will keep a tight leash on any upgrades, unless they decide to bump another model to accommodate a small increase in performance for the D610. I do think if they fix this camera it will sell very well and perhaps be a Christmas favorite.

“Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
    ― Ansel Adams
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

_In general_, the D600 is mixed bag. While some reviewers call it the next coming of Christ, those that have sent their copies of crap bodies back for repair two or three times know better.

There many on this forum that have moved to D800's or D7100's and that will attest to that.

I think it's a "fix" camera, and may try to carry an image repair with it, and if it does, it will also need to carry some important upgrades that the D600 didn't have, that most were willing to do without to separate it from the D800, such as high flash sync.

That's going to be a onion to bite for Nikon, as it will make the market difference somewhat less indistinguishable if so (although the D800 would still have marked value over a beefy D610).

All of that is pure conjecture, of course.

I'm also guessing that the market, since once bitten, will be twice shy.

My best,

Mike
    Sevencrossing said:
    my ten penny worth

51 ( or more ) AF points
    8 fps (with battery pack)
    ISO100 - 102800 ( no Hi setting)

I don't see the 8 fps or ISAO 100- to 102800, that is not the target for this camera. Sure they could add 51 AF points but I doubt it then again, that makes since. They need some differences between the D600 and D800 and the AF system improvement is a nice improvement.

My bet is the removal of the AA filter.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If the D610 is constructed with the customer service attitude of the D600.... I agree with Mike. Once bitten....

It is very unfortunate that Nikon did not approach this in an honest manner. For the hesitation to purchase anything Nikon will spread insidiously in the backs of many of our minds. In a way it is like eating at a restaurant and getting poor service. No matter how good the food, one tends to shy away from being treated poorly. Nikon's attitude was to treat the D600 owners in a very insulting way.....

The D610 is going to have to be an extremely competent machine to overcome this rude behavior.
    Msmoto, mod
    Also agree with Mike. I would not be surprised if we see a rash of D600s on eBay when the D610 come out and the price drops like a lead balloon. With sales low you would think Nikon would be emphasizing customer service and step up and do the right thing.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    There is a lot of "doom and gloom" about the D600 in this column. I have one and have not seen it that way. I would like to see some real data such as how many D600 units have been sold per month since introduction before I would agree to the "doom and gloom." Maybe it has achieved such a bad reputation that sales of D600s have taken a nosedive. But then, many not. Has anyone see the data?

I suspect that D610 will soon replace the D600 in the Nikon lineup and no more D600s will be offered. However, all they will be doing it changing the old D600 production line a small bit to add a few new parts. Probably 95% of the old D600 parts will still be used in then new D610.
    Lets put it this way @donaldejose I have seen more D800's in the wild than D600's.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited September 2013
    That's because D600s are purchased at Costco by soccer moms. Go hang out at the field on the weekend, you will see an abundance of D600s, and since they are being shot on Auto they won't see any spots. Even if they did it would be chalked up to dirt on the uniform, not on the sensor :-)

The reality is that hundreds of thousands of D600s have been sold, and very few are returned. As to how many are throwing dust/oil? Only God knows, since most will never be returned regardless.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    I doubt soccer moms are buying D600's. They buy D3200's and D5200's.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Soccer moms are not the typical D600 owners. Do hang out at any soccer field and you'll see mostly cell phone cameras, point & shoots and super-zooms. You'll also see small DSLRs and videocams. Full-frame DSLRs? Rare to be seen. Maybe a "soccer dad" with an oversized lens will have it.
    I was kinda joking, the main point being that there are tons of D600s on the market by now. I just did the math on the serial numbers, and for the US alone, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we started out at 303XXXXXX and now folks are stating 307 as the starting numbers, which means over 4 million units sold...
    edited September 2013
    I doubt sales are that high, and you are assuming serial numbers are directly reflecting units made. Some of those numbers could reflect refurbished units. If I'm reading the reports correctly Nikon's global sales of DSLR's last year was only 7 million. Of those the vast majority would be D3000, D3100, D5200 etc.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    The US models of Nikon DSLR I have all seem to have 7 digit serial number. So I think Ironheart may have miscounted. :) But then it would imply Nikon only sold 50k D600 in US which is a paltry amount.
    At one point we heard that Nikon was capable of producing 30K D800 per month, so assuming they make 50K D600 a month, that would be 600K in a year, so it is for sure more than 50K ;)
    edited September 2013
    Just because they can make that many does not mean that they do. The stock reports earlier this year indicated they had a lot of inventory just sitting in warehouses due to the lack of demand.
    Post edited by PB_PM on