Nikon D610 discussion

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    the one spec we do not have yet is fps
    if they can get that up to 8, this could be a very popular camera
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited September 2013
    This must be the open forum on anything one wants to say, eh?

I love Mike G's thoughts about the built in meters.......that was me as I used a Gossen Luna Pro...but the the Photomic meter never did work from day one....LOL.

I do concur with the idea Nikon wants to close the door on the D600 issue and move forward. This may also contribute to the apparent delay in introducing the D400, that is if Nikon has one...but maybe the D610 will be what we want....even a sort of full frame D400 which when used in DX crop mode would eliminate the need for another body such as a D400...... But I doubt it.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited September 2013
    The way nikon has handled this is making me not want to buy another nikon. Ever.
    Handing what Kstyle ?

To date Nikon has not even announced the D610 is just a rumor just like the D4 x, the D400 and the Canon 7DM2

This forum is not run by Nikon
    You clearly do not like Nikon so do US all a favor, buy an Canon and stop flaming
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yup - you know what @kstyle? reviewing your posts, you are either a troll or somebody with a very negative approach to posting on this forum. Everything you have said has been said by others but in a more balanced way so yes, I agree with @sevencrossing - why don't you go poke through the bars of another forum or get another hobby other than being a nuisance here.
    Always learning.
  • crizmancrizman Posts: 27Member
    I am torn, maybe a D610 or maybe keep saving for a D800. I have a D200 ( I have 1 dx lens-18-200) all of my other glass is mf nikkors or af zooms suited for fx. I think I'm ready to move up to fx. I shoot everything-sports, landscapes, macro, night scenes etc. I expect the new body to last me a decade( I hope ). My budget sucks, but in my mind I'm thinking D800. For me it may just take longer to get there. Any thoughts?
    I am torn, maybe a D610 or maybe keep saving for a D800. Its?
    until the D610 has been out for at least 6 months we wont know how good it is

The D800 has ben out for over a year and we know it is a fantastic camera

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Back on topic: @sevencrossing, I think we will know in less than 6 months, perhaps more like 3 but either way there will be a break in period.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    kystyle: Don't take some sharp comments as personal attacks. I have had worse comments directed at me here. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and to express it. I do believe in the old college dictum: encourage the free expression and discussion of ideas and the better ones will rise to the top. Plenty of people do agree with some of your opinions and comments.
  • mustangdarenmustangdaren Posts: 27Member
    The 610 is pretty much a slap in the face to D600 owners. They shold fix the issue and recall the D600. I gave them the benifit of the doubt and bought a D600 in 2013 even though I heard the rumors of dust and oil. Well, I got bit, mine has dust and OIL on the sensor. The dust I can deal with but the oil is a real pain to get off the sensor since it smears. I was hoping at least the 610 would come with the 51pt focus sensor array with complete sensor coverage. At this point I would be willing to pay to have my D600 repaired if I knew for 100% sure they actually have a working fix for the issue.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

For me - the D610, if works well, will be fine. The D600 folks will should be screaming murder.

My best,

Mike
    Yes, Nikon's apparent abandonment of the D600 does seem like an insult to D600 owners. Let me suggest two possible resolutions.

1. If the only difference is a new part, Nikon should provide that part free to owners of a D600 who request it and charge a minimal installation fee. We can think of these bodies then as D600.5 bodies.

2. Not all owners of D600s have had the problem. If one has not had the problem and does not plan on selling the body soon they could just keep shooting with it and not worry about the resale value which will be down to $500 anyway long before it is really outdated. Considering the fact that it is a 24mp FX sensor it should be fully satisfactory for producing as large a print as any wedding photographer would sell until the shutter fails at about 150,000 exposures at which time the D610 shutter can be installed and the body shot for another 15,000 exposures or the camera simply replaced with the bottom of the line FX body at that time.
    I think that is the most likely scenario Donald. I would certainly give $500 for one after it is fixed, or before if the replacement charge is low enough.
    Always learning.
    edited September 2013
    The replacement cycle on digital bodies is now much faster than their actual lack of usefulness. Consider the D90, originally costing $1,000 which is still plenty usable for 5x7 or 8x10 or even 11x14 portraits and yet is worth only about $400 today or consider the D300 originally costing $1,800 and adequate for 11x14 enlargement but now worth about $550. People are not dissatisfied with the D90 and D300 bodies now because they have too few megapixels or cannot be enlarged to 11x14 portraits when shot at base ISO. People want the newer bodies for higher clean ISO and more dynamic range. My suggestion is the D600 has sufficient megapixels, sufficient clean high ISO and sufficient dynamic range to be fully usable for the next decade. So if you are not getting the spots you can keep shooting your D600 for a decade and not worry about its price drop this year because a D610 is released or next year or the year after, etc. By the time a D600 is no longer worth shooting neither will be a D610. They will become obsolete at the same time because they are essentially the same camera. The price drop of a tool is not really relevant as long as you are still using that tool and not selling it.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    I agree with almost all of that Donald, but a D90 '5x7 or 8x10 or even 11x14? I would have thought 16x12 would be ok myself? Of course if you stand a foot from the print it may have issues, but not at 4 feet or so.
    Always learning.
    edited September 2013
    Yes, 12 x 16 is ok. I didn't mean to set a hard limit. I tried to be conservative in my enlargement size using 300dpi printing. An 11 x 14 print at 300dpi will be 3,300 pixels by 4,200 pixels. The 12 mp D90 sensor produces a 2,840 pixel by 4,288 pixel image which is a close enough match. Many people are happy with an image printed at 200dpi, especially when you will be viewing it from a distance.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    @crizman - if you take the spots issue away from the D600, it is a really, really, REALLY nice camera that produces great quality images and makes use of the best Nikon lenses. If the 610 passes scrutiny, it will be a fine camera and will serve fine duty for likely 95% of photographic needs of a modern dslr photographer.

My advice, after the above, is don't spend the money on a D800 unless you are confident you're going to take your photography to a level where you bank on the added features it provides. Buy another lens instead or a plane ticket somewhere photogenic. :D
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Deleted User said: If this is true, same everything except new shutter, Why not just do a recall and fix what already exists.

I agree that Nikon should have stepped up to the plate and issued a recall. I would expect that lots of D600 users don't read this blog and don't know about the dust issues. They will keep shooting and put up with the dust or they will go back to the dealer and have the sensor cleaned. I think Nikon took the easy way out to distinguish the model with issues, DD600, from their long term corrective action to the shutter mechanism the D610.

Here is my SWAG as to what will happen. Once the D610 is released any one with oil issues on the sensor or mirror (how ever many that is and the readers of this blog can't seem to agree if it's less than 10% or more) Nikon will replace your D600 with a new D610. For those who's D600 doesn't have that issue well what you gonna do!

I expect lots of people will tell me I am crazy, but that is my SWAG.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Donaldejose, I agree with mostly what you say. However, based on your previous logic, I don't see conflict with the way Nikon handled it. Based on what you say, only a very small portion of D600 has problem. So Nikon says that if you have problem and belong to that portion, send it in and it will repair it, most likely by replacing the shutter part. If you don't have problem, your part is clean and working as intended.

If really only a very small portion has problem as you said, I don't see the point where everyone sends in their D600 defective or not, just so that it can be slapped with a "certified used" label to make them feel better pysologically? If someone cares about resale value that much, I would say just like any other "investments", one better watches out himself.

If one bought it without being aware of the issue and have problem, next time don't trust those companies too much and let the early adopters take their chances first. :) By all means, send it in and force them to have it fixed. But many people who bought D600 already knew the issue and decided to take their chance anyway. I don't see the point of crying injustice now that their D600 look like a second class to the new D610. It's not unreasonable for a company to update model name with minimum changes. Canon does it. Car companies do it all the time. I say get over it.

Now whether selling some electronics with same spec at same price as what's one year ago makes business sense, that's a different question.
    edited September 2013
    tc88: Actually, I never said I know for a fact that only a small portion have this dust problem. I actually said the posted complaints of very excessive dust must amount to only a very small portion of D600 sales so it could be that only a very small number have the problem due to a very small number of insufficiently cleaned parts and not due to a generic design error which you would expect to affect 100% of the bodies. This is the very best objective analysis I can make from both the data (a few complaints) and from the lack of other data (huge numbers of owners not complaining). I have been trying to be a calming voice of reason but we really do not know for sure exactly the cause or scope of the problem. There is no conflict with what I suspect is the scope and cause of the limited problem and the way Nikon has been acting other than Nikon's failure to be more transparent has made a lot of Nikon users very angry.
  • who cares. D600 is a thing of the past now. onward with new and greatly improved D610.
    "greatly improved?" with the same stats?
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited September 2013

Here is my SWAG as to what will happen. Once the D610 is released any one with oil issues on the sensor or mirror (how ever many that is and the readers of this blog can't seem to agree if it's less than 10% or more) Nikon will replace your D600 with a new D610.
    I don't think Nikon will replace a D600 with a D610 as standard practice. It would be an accounting nightmare for them to do so.

I think they will continue with 1) clean the sensor first; 2) replace shutter or mirror components when necessary; 3) repeat steps 1 and 2 until the customer goes away.

Then only for the worst cases (customer's camera returned for the same repairs many times) they will offer an alternative -- probably a replacement D600 for most, or maybe a D610 for those who complain the loudest.

What Nikon should do is a) take an accounting writedown; b) publicly and clearly own up to the problem; and c) offer a permanent fix (including any new components) for all affected D600s.
    Post edited by Ade on
    Given the facts and status of the D600 (EXCELLENT camera with an unfortunate built-in shutter dust problem), then it makes perfect sense to me that Nikon have identified and replaced the offending part in production and now, to separate the good production from the suspect production, all that is needed is a different small stick-on badge to be applied at the end of the production line. No accounting nightmare, it is a simply a different model. It is possibly the only way of drawing a line under this saga. They are probably using exactly the same parts to repair the D600's (now) that they are building into the D610's and are doing their usual new model launch procedure of letting stocks drop to minimise losses on stock sold at reduced prices. Now whether those last few have the new shutter in or not is something to consider. The decision to buy a D600 now would require a gamble on how long they have been in stock.

That is why the D610 makes sense to me.

@tc88 tc88 said:

"Now whether selling some electronics with same spec at same price as what's one year ago makes business sense, that's a different question."

Now that is a good point, so will the D610 have a tweak to update it? Hmm, I'm not so sure now, head spinning, just rambling on... 8-}
    Always learning.
  • BigDogBigDog Posts: 17Member
    ... People want the newer bodies for higher clean ISO and more dynamic range. My suggestion is the D600 has sufficient megapixels, sufficient clean high ISO and sufficient dynamic range to be fully usable for the next decade. So if you are not getting the spots you can keep shooting your D600 for a decade and not worry about its price drop this year because a D610 is released or next year or the year after, etc. By the time a D600 is no longer worth shooting neither will be a D610. They will become obsolete at the same time because they are essentially the same camera. The price drop of a tool is not really relevant as long as you are still using that tool and not selling it.
    I own one of the 'offending' D600's (presumably repaired) but completely agree with the sentiment above. Thanks Donald for posting. With that in mind I intend to return my attention to enjoying the art and craft of photography.