Nikon Retro F-Mount Camera (FM2 Style)

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    The images created by the DF won't be any better than those created by the D600 or D610. It is the process of creating those images which will be different. We will see how many sell. I suspect only the older folks who shot during the film era will enjoy using that old user interface.
    You're correct, but there's nothing wrong with looking good while taking photos. :D

I grew up in the tail end of the film phase so I never really got a chance to shoot with film cameras really. It'd be cool if I got a digital FM2.
    I'm only in my late 20's and I find it appealing, you might be surprised by how many people are interested.
    Heck I'm in my early 20's and I want this camera. Whether i can afford it is a different matter.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    ... I suspect only the older folks who shot during the film era will enjoy using that old user interface....
    Yes, I am older, and I enjoyed the film era user interface of my Nikkormat FT, my FM2, and most of all, my F2. Just today I put my D800 at ASA100 and shot completely manual. Of course when I saw I was getting nothing but snap-shot looking photos, I went to Auto ISO and Aperture priority with a minimum shutter speed....
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    I'm a bit dissapointed about 1/4000 top speed, but if the native ISO is 100 and can go down to "low" 50, then that should be OK.

It looks like it does 1/3 stops so I am happy there.

You can't use exposure comp to get access to those partial stops in manual mode (it doesn't work), so what they have implemented looks good.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    The images created by the DF won't be any better than those created by the D600 or D610. It is the process of creating those images which will be different. We will see how many sell. I suspect only the older folks who shot during the film era will enjoy using that old user interface.
    Mid 30's and I prefer the manual controls. Knowing most of the "about" ages on here, it is mostly the older members of the group who seem not to "get" the design and why people would want it. Much of the Lomography (film & Polaroid film) is dominated by younger photogs as well.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I'm a bit dissapointed about 1/4000 top speed, but if the native ISO is 100 and can go down to "low" 50, then that should be OK.
    I'm there as well - I would prefer to see the AF module, Metering and Shutter from the D800 than the D610/600 as well.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    edited November 2013
    I keep seeing similar comments as if this is created to pull photographers away or to change bodies and that is not the point at all. It is really along the same lines of shooting with my X100 - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1742/nikon-retro-f-mount-camera-fm2-style#Item_232
    I'm guessing that's a part of the reason for Nikon going in this direction, they've seen the appeal of the various Fuji X camera's as a second body and want to go after that business themselves. A FF camera will obviously be more expensive than the Fuji's but if your removing the need to buy new lenses which brings them closer together with the Nikon offering more performance.

One difference to me though seems to be that the Nikon actually looks more less focused on style, granted it may appeal to users to something like the F3 but I wouldn't say that's an especially iconic design compared to Fuji's 60's/70's rangefinder looks. Rather the focus seems to be more on the control setup offering far more than the other "retro" options on the market, I'm interested to see how this works out given that ergonomics are arguably Nikon's great strength.
    Post edited by moreorless on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Personally, I was stoked by the thought of a new VW Beetle - until it arrived. They missed the ball. Heck, they even got the engine the wrong end!). Same for the new Triumph Bonneville - totally (and I have the '78 export model).

I know it would not sell, but if they really wanted to be able to say 'pure', IMHO the DF shouldn't even have a screen, no auto ranges and no more 'adjustability' than a full manual mechanical body of the 1970's. You click it then see what you got when you get home. It's OK if it has more, but they shouldn't call it pure. Like if they make a brass and mahogany jobbie, that should be a replica functionally too! Even I am struggling with that concept tho. :P
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    In order to go the same route as the new VW Beetle Nikon would need to sell the Df only in pastle pink.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I forgot that! :))
    Always learning.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I wouldn't say that pure = no screen on the back, though I'm not gonna say that I wouldn't like this approach. though, look at leica. even with the digital models I doubt any of the leica users will say that the camera isn't pure. it is.
    so far I like the concept of Df, let's see what the next teaser will bring and what's gonna be unveiled on 5th - just 3 more days.
    will I buy it... that's a totally different story. it all depends on it's price and my economical situation. I'm in a market for smaller body, and I'm glad that Nikon came up with the Df as I was looking towards Sony a7/a7r or panny gx7. my d3s is way to big for most of the work I do, or should I say for the work I enjoy... I guess I'm getting older, and more than before I realize that I can do what I like with basically one small though powerful body + 35mm lens on it.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    If it doesn't have the same low light AF as the D4/D800 fugedaboutdit.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    What I find interesting about this new body, whatever one wants to call it, is that most likely I would not be able to come to a final decision until several thousand shots where run off by me and I had learned to either love it or…..

In most cases, I find that only after I have adapted somewhat to a new design, am I able to adequately judge it.

The emotional aspect does find me more interested in this than I might have been before it was even announced. So, maybe Nikon knows what they are doing. In an overall perspective it would appear in the past 70 years they have done well…..
    Msmoto, mod
  • Thank you TTJ and everyone else. It sounds interesting and I'm happy that Nikon is making a body that so many of you want. Nothing wrong with a company paying tribute to its heritage by updating a classic (like the new VW Bug). It just doesn't seem as though its strong points suit what I enjoy most about photography. That said, I look forward to seeing the images created by those of you who do buy it and of course reserve the right to change my mind.
    Just as, I imagine, many of us reserve the right to pass on it if they fail to deliver on the implied promises their marketing has sold us. I hope they DO deliver, though. It would be a camera I'd be happy with, I think.

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Along with adamz, if this camera is what the Leica M9 is to the M7 It will be perfect! The M9 unlike most digitals is not bogged down in features but is just a simple and wonderful tool. The digital element is minimized. Obviously this nikon will have more than the M9 but if the experience is the same as a F2 Im in!... I am also only in my 20's and I am a sucker for old cameras. There is only one thing that would kill it for me buying it and that is an EVF... I am an optical pentaprism guy.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    The deciding factor for me buying this camera will be whether or not I can use a MD12 motor drive on it. :D

It's interesting to see that the M9 included live view and video and the DF is taking video out. It seems to be more work to remove video than to leave it in honestly.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    They wouldn't be removing video, just not including the firmware for it to work.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    lol. Even if they left it in the firmware but didnt include a stupid button for it. I could ignore it. Isnt video just a firmware thing (given the hardware is good enough)
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    In most cases, I find that only after I have adapted somewhat to a new design, am I able to adequately judge it.
    Ping me when you're ready to sell your Df ;-)
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Msmoto...add me to the list of potential buyers for your used Df. :-SS
    KockNock said: Ping me when you're ready to sell your Df
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I guess I will wait for a body only …..and get the new 58mm f/1.4 with it….
    Msmoto, mod
  • I guess I will wait for a body only …..and get the new 58mm f/1.4 with it….
    That sounds like a great strategy to me!
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I guess I will wait for a body only …..and get the new 58mm f/1.4 with it….
    I'm passing on the 58 1.4, but if this body is what it sounds like it will be, I may buy it to put behind my Noct.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I'm guessing that the small LCD screen on the top will include the aperture, otherwise your'll need to use non G lenses to be able to see what you have selected from above.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    It's a long couple of days for the announcement, official specs and prices.

On the other hand, thanks to the Nikon D600 fiasco, there's no way I'll pick one up on pre-order or launch without giving other people time to test it out.

I can't be the only person thinking like that.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    @elvishefer: I'm thinking that way about the 58 1.4, and I desperately want to buy it. And that's not even a body, but a lens. (When was the last lens fiasco?)

My paranoia aside, you're undoubtedly correct: a swath of the DF's target audience knows full well about the D600, and will be quietly shuffling to the back of the line.
This discussion has been closed.