Nikon Retro F-Mount Camera (FM2 Style)

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Isn't this sad but true:
    My paranoia aside, you're undoubtedly correct: a swath of the DF's target audience knows full well about the D600, and will be quietly shuffling to the back of the line.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    It's interesting to see that the M9 included live view and video and the DF is taking video out. It seems to be more work to remove video than to leave it in honestly.
    Just a corrective note - the M9 did not have video. The M-E (which added a CMOS rather than a CCD sensor) which has 18mp as well, does have video.

I'm amazed how so many think everything is just a firmware coding exclusion and companies are just a bunch of deviant pricks looking to remove things just in spite. If something large like video can be in there, they will include it. If it is not, then there is a good reason for it. Something like bracketing, sure that is a firmware, but that is also just a "control" feature. Video is a design goal and physical aspect just as much as firmware. People had to put their jobs on the line to convince executives that even basic video was not possible.

I would wait to see what the sensor is first. Sensors have separate designs for Photo only, Video only, Photo & video - all of which are designed to deal with the heat (or lack there of) generated from video or from continually being powered. Leica did tons of tests and had articles on this (mostly from Kodak research) about how adding video actually compromised what could be achieved from just focusing on still capture. Unfortunately with the chaos of Kodak, I doubt the research was continued. I'm sure that part of Leica's move to CMOS (which added the ability of video due to design) was part of dealing with heat issues generated by CCDs. If it was just firmware, they would include it.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2013
    The final video before the announcement on Nov 5th.

Question: What are the odds that all the videos we have been looking at were shot by this camera? Would it be a welcome sign for those that find this form factor appealing to them?

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Does it really matter if it was shot with the camera? There is nothing esthetically special about the video in these teaser trailers.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JakesGTJakesGT Posts: 38Member
    More than likely they shot it with the D800 again
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I like the mood on the videos :) ... as for video build in Df, let's firstly see if there's hdmi out, if yes than both EVF and video recording is an option - no matter if I like it or not. as for the top lcd to set aperture ... well you have viewfinder for that, and as much as I will love to have that information on top - maybe in the leica s2 style I don't mind having it inside the viewfinder.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited November 2013
    The final video before the announcement on Nov 5th.

Question: What are the odds that all the videos we have been looking at were shot by this camera? Would it be a welcome sign for those that find this form factor appealing to them?

I'm not sure how the form factor would help with shooting video with this camera- isn't it a bit unstable with no grip, assuming it's exactly like the FM2?

I wonder if there will be a 2 part optional vertical grip, like the Olympus OM-D EM-5.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2013
    I wonder if there will be a 2 part optional vertical grip, like the Olympus OM-D EM-5.

If Nikon does not offer one, I'm sure RRS will like make one...much like they do for the M9, Fuji or the Olympus.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    I wonder if there will be a 2 part optional vertical grip, like the Olympus OM-D EM-5. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1742/nikon-retro-f-mount-camera-fm2-style#Item_284
    It certainly seems possible, while the camera does already have a grip unlike the A7 its a fairly straight one that lacks any controls on it.

I'm glad they've gone with a limated top plate LCD, obviously no need for it to display things like exposure comp or ISO if there are dials for them but showing aperture will mean you can view settings from above with modern lenses and shutter speed is still worth having for A mode.
  • PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    This and the old 50mm f1.2 AI-S could be fun together.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    Anyone else kind of meh about this now?

I was excited for a bit, then I realised it doesn't really do anything my D700 can't, now I'm kind of meh.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I am 'meh' as far as the DF doesn't apply to me because I don't have the money to throw at something unnecessary. However, there are plenty that do and they think it is cool. I say cool because that is the only reason to buy it as far as I can see.
    Always learning.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Functionality aside, based on the images on the main blog today I'd say this is a work of art, at least from an aesthetics standpoint. For those who find it appealing (probably not a wide swath of photographers), I can imagine this being a much sought-after item.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    I agree with spraynpray. I too don't see the NEED for such a camera but I do think it would be fun to play with one on occasion. Using it would remind me of my younger days. I now use my D800 as my primary camera and my D600 as my secondary camera but I don't like switching back and forth between the pro and the prosumer interfaces thus I want a D400 for my second body (if Nikon made a D800 type pro body with the D4 sensor that would work for me also- I do want fewer mp in my second body). I want the same interface on both bodies so I can automatically make the same movements to get the same adjustments without stopping to remember which body I am using. I can convince myself that a second body with the same user interface is a NEED. Using a Df as a second body would just complicate the transition between two bodies even more because its user interface is even more different than using a D600. For example, even the shutter button will fall in a different place and the grip is going to be different so it will not feel the same in your right hand while most current Nikon bodies do have at least the same (or very similar) grip to shutter release ergonomics. If "pure photography" means not letting anything get in the way between the image you see in your mind and image you capture than you want the user interface to operate automatically in your mind and you don't want to be have to interrupt the intent to the capture moment to be interrupted by having to think about which of two very different user interfaces you are using at this moment.

As an interesting aside, my wife is often asking me for photos she wants to post on facebook or other internet sites. I am tired of taking them with a D800 or D600 and downsizing them for her. Those bodies are "overkill" for the intended use. So I keep a D5100 set to basic jpeg and small size with a 18-70 mm zoom quickly available for such use (even an old D3100 would work fine but I gave mine away).

So for me I see three camera needs. 1. Primary, for work which can be greatly enlarged. The D800 is perfect. 2. Secondary, to replace the primary when need on occasion. The D600 works but a body with the pro user interface would be better and the D300s is just too outdated. 3. Snapshot body for quickly taking a requested photo and being able to give my wife the SD card so she can go post what she wants. Those are my NEEDS. Anything else is a desire.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    While looking at the photos I was thinking "I already know how to use this camera."
    Let's see about the price, availability, and sensor, but I'm being nudged into giving it a "buy" rating.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    O.K. it's interesting. As a guy who shot an FM2 for the better part of 20 years I like the looks of the Df but I'm not sure who's going to buy it. I really would like to see a range finder style retro camera, a smaller carry ever where camera. But who knows, I'd like to see the full specs, a review or two and hold it in my hands. Maybe it will replace my D300?
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    edited November 2013
    as we have now know how the new body will look like, what are your comments. do you like the new cam or nor? I love it. will I buy it? it all depends on the size, sensor and price once again :))

for comparison, top cover of FM3a
    Post edited by adamz on
    what I like:
    - top cover, will make my work much easier - no need to go through the menu to change basic settings or push and dial buttons
    - viewfinder - looks like a standard D3s/D4/D800 size viewfinder, which is a winer for me
    - front look
    - top lcd
    - easy to set up exposure compensation
    what I don't like:
    - once again buttons are moved... WHY NIKON, WHY??? WTF is the "i" button on the bottom left, why there's no OK button. why the metering is moved once again?
    - new 50/1.8 lens - no aperture control
    - screw in sync cover - I don't even remember how many of those I've lost in past
    - hdmi out = video possibilities IMHO
    - no viewfinder shade
    app size based on the picture:
    - width: 13cm (5.1")
    - depth: 7cm (2.75")
    - height: 10cm (3.94")
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2013
    Far too many fiddly controls. I will stick to my Pure D800. thank you
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    for comparison:
    - Df: 13 x 7 x 10 cm (5.1 x 2.75 x 3.94")
    - a7: 12.7 x 4.8 x 9.4 cm (5.00 x 1.89 x 3.70")
    - d800: 14.6 x 8.2 x 12.3 cm (5.75 x 3.23 x 4.84")
    - d600: 14.1 x 8.2 x 11.3 cm (5.55 x 3.23 x 4.45")
    - fm3a: 14.2 × 5.8 × 9.0 cm (5.6 × 2.3 x 3.5")
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    Looks beautiful and solid....the silver option works...love the top cover controls....would I buy it? ....hmmm....let's see full specs + price....do I need it??....doubt....my 800 presently serves adequately.... Would accept as a gift for Xmas :D
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    it all depends on the size, sensor and price once again :))
    +1
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @adamz i see an ok button there. The I for info? Maybe a quick setting or shortcut to histogram instead of playing the file.

So far I like it. I'm a fan of retro. I liked the olympus OMD and the fuji x series and now this one if it looks like the pics.
    Would I buy it. Not at the moment unless I depart with the D800 and still have money left over for the 70-200 fund but I like my 36mp files so we shall see.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    @adamz i see an ok button there. The I for info? Maybe a quick setting or shortcut to histogram instead of playing the file.

So far I like it. I'm a fan of retro. I liked the olympus OMD and the fuji x series and now this one if it looks like the pics.
    Would I buy it. Not at the moment unless I depart with the D800 and still have money left over for the 70-200 fund but I like my 36mp files so we shall see.
    I agree- it's a very pretty looking camera. It does not look cheap though- it most probably is more than a D610.

It also does nothing my D7000 can't do already as a DX camera, so I'll definitely say pass on it.

On a side note, it does looks like it still has a HDMI out. It might still have video.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
This discussion has been closed.