Nikon Retro F-Mount Camera (FM2 Style)

Comments

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    ... I love it. will I buy it? it all depends on the size, sensor and price once again :))
    Size I think I'm O.K. with. Add availability to your list. If they can really ship before mid-December it might end up under my Christmas tree...If it has a low light sensor and is available immediately, I may buy it at almost any price between the D610 and D800 to shoot comet photos this month.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • As someone who only owns Nikon film cameras (digital is Fuji) and was beginning to consider which Nikon digital SLR to buy...

this is manna from heaven
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    On screen the silver definitely looks better than the black.

As a pro I wonder what Jo public will make of this. If I have one will they consider me more of a pro? God knows most people would have absolutely no idea what those dials do these days, as they don't come on an ipad.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    +1 Gareth on the iPad note :)
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I have a film camera that's laid out almost exactly like this: a Konica FT-1. It even came standard with a 50mm f/1.8.
    edited November 2013
    we have the specs from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD1KASM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00GD1KASM&linkCode=as2&tag=nikorumo-20

sensor: 16.2 MP - from D4
    cpu: expeed 3 - from D4
    AF: 39 points - from D610
    price: $2999 with 50mm/1.8 dedicated lens, $2749
    availability: 28th Nov
    Post edited by adamz on
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    If this is meant to be a halo product, who knows if it was worth doing? Maybe it is.

If this is meant to sell lots, at that price point it fails miserably. If I was trying to choose between this and the D800, there's a small chance I choose this because I want the D4 sensor and 16MP is all I need. But if I did choose this over the D800, I'd be very much in the minority. Aside from the sensor and 1 additional fps, D800 is "better everything", and let's face it: the D800 sensor isn't a slouch, and if 4.5 fps doesn't work for you then 5.5 fps is not the magic bullet.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    any one like to predicts KR's reaction ?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    Well . . . I like the look of the silver/chrome one. If you are going to go retro might as well go all the way back to that original two tone look. I like the look of the controls. However, I don't like D600/610 guts for a D800 price. But if the sensor really is the same as the one if the D4 I could see justification of the price being getting D4 high ISO performance for half the price. However, those wanting that high ISO performance most likely are shooting sports and will also want high frames per second which the DF does not have. Also, I don't like it for a second body because the user interface will be so different than your primary camera.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    For $2,700/$3,000 I would buy a D800e.

While I like the camera, the aesthetic does not make it worth it for me at that price.

D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    The amazon link is down but I liked what I saw . Any idea what the knob next to the Df logo is for and the one by the BKT button?
    No sync cords and if somebody doesnt like the screw on release cannle maybe there is a usb version available.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited November 2013
    If this is meant to be a halo product, who knows if it was worth doing? Maybe it is.

If this is meant to sell lots, at that price point it fails miserably. If I was trying to choose between this and the D800, there's a small chance I choose this because I want the D4 sensor and 16MP is all I need. But if I did choose this over the D800, I'd be very much in the minority. Aside from the sensor and 1 additional fps, D800 is "better everything", and let's face it: the D800 sensor isn't a slouch, and if 4.5 fps doesn't work for you then 5.5 fps is not the magic bullet.
    Yes, this is far more expensive than I expected.

On a side note, what is that huge dial/knob thing slightly above the grip? Is that a sub command dial?
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Dials.... Love the dials! I can change stuff without "push x, turn dial 1 counter clockwise, use dial 2 to change..." now that is just turn dial done.

I'm not sure how anyone thought this was going to be a cheap camera - everywhere was quoting $3,000. Wishful thinking I guess.

Considering that for the last 2 years I was looking for a second system that was a bit smaller, took low light images well, could work as a back up body in a pinch and was more low key this is great. You will spend $3,000 for a M4/3rds or a Fuji system (with a set of lenses) and it won't come close to the AF speed, or low light capabilities. Now I can spend the same amount and blow away the little M4/3rds shooters any day.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    I'm not trying to be an arse here...I'm halfway nervous about even asking this, but please take it with the best of intentions. I'm not trying to troll:

If you're using this in very low light, aren't the dials going to be more of a problem than a joy? Nobody likes over-reliance on menus (well, I sure don't), but might menus and two command dials at thumb/forefinger for aperture/shutter speed make more sense when we're half in the dark?
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I think I'm going to pass. Maybe next year. It's a nice looking camera and I like everything but the big, ugly dial on the front. If it has a D4 sensor, I may reconsider, but for a second body I might as well go with another D800.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    A lot of people have been screaming for a D4 in a smaller body and with a smaller price tag. Now here it is. Sure it has a lesser AF module and a slower frame rate. But you get the low light capability of the D4 at half the price. That is if it is a D4 sensor.

I like the idea of a slow shooting D4. I would prefer it in a D800 body. But mostly it is down to the wrapping.

I don´t get all the negativity.
    edited November 2013
    I'm not trying to be an arse here...I'm halfway nervous about even asking this, but please take it with the best of intentions. I'm not trying to troll:

If you're using this in very low light, aren't the dials going to be more of a problem than a joy? Nobody likes over-reliance on menus (well, I sure don't), but might menus and two command dials at thumb/forefinger for aperture/shutter speed make more sense when we're half in the dark?
    That's a good question- I don't think the main command dial works to change shutter speed anymore- I would assume you can still see your shutter speed from inside the viewfinder, so if you can move your thumb over I think you can still flip through the dial.

Also, the info button is still on the back, so you can set your settings that way too.

Edit- Going by the shutter dial, it's not any faster than 1/4000. So it might be a worked over D610 shutter or hopefully not a D600 shutter.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

it's actually quite the opposite. if you have dials, it's much easier to move them the way you want w/o looking at them. after some couple k of articulations you get familiar with the location of each setting and can adjust it w/o seeing it. if you can't that's also the option suggested by NSX: viewfinder and back screen.

@TTJ - I love the dials too, but I was honestly thinking for a price closer to sony a7 - considering the specs. sure high iso gonna be great, but that's not all what matters. for $2750 I can have the a7r + zeiss 35mm and still some cash left for sd card|bag
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Interesting news. It's very close to my dream FX camera. Unfortunately at that price, it will remain just a dream. Now, if they do the same for DX and price it at $1500 - oh wait... dreaming again.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    edited November 2013
    Nasim Mansurov just suggested a completely D610 spec at a nearly D610 price. I think that would have sold better.
    Post edited by shawnino on
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    Looks fantastic to me, oh no sorry that's the FM3A below it that is fantastic..... the DF looks... well I think it is a damn fine effort actually. Yes please Santa.
    Robin
    Nasim Mansurov just suggested a completely D610 spec at a nearly D610 price. I think that would have sold better.
    I think this is just a rebodied D610 with a D4 sensor. If you even look at the button placement it does look like a D610/D7100 with a shaved grip and a nice pentaprism.

Obviously you had to pay for all that metal and the nice dials though...
  • BlinkingeyeBlinkingeye Posts: 21Member
    Lots of negative and discouraged comments on this thread. I think largely because some expectations have not been met.

Me I'm on the other side.

In addition to the "retro" user, ie those who like the looks and handling, there are two groups of people I think the Df layout and guts is helpful to: street photographers and low light landscape shooters. I put myself in both groups.

I see this camera as a way to get the D4 low light performance without the D4 high hurdle of entry ($$$) and the weight penalty.

So for those reasons, I am a player.

Are there some minor disappointments in the spec line-up? Sure.

Is the camera for everyone? No.

Dwell in your disappointment or see the camera for what it is and decide if it is for your shooting style or not. it is not Nikon,s issue expectations have not been met.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    True beauty; pity it is so expensive ....
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Wow...aesthetics are great and I love the silver/black combination like so many of my 1970 & 1980 SLRs.

I was afraid of the price and at this price point it's going to be a small market. I suppose if they sell enough they may come out with a more entry level model. I am still going to the store to touch, feel, and shoot this camera. Am I a buyer, probably not when I could get the D800 body for a few more $$$.

I love the looks, great looking camera.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
This discussion has been closed.