Nikon Df General Discussion

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Funny. I like it. Could someone be both? :-B
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Given the very nice specs and pricing of the D750... now can anyone explain the Df? You know, just throwing that out there.
    You'd have to really want the retro styling and pay extra for not having a flash to get a Df... and then really want video mode to be thrown out just to get that D4s chip.

...otherwise known as the Leica crowd, who tend to buy with their emotions and not with their brain.

I would get the Df just as a display camera and shoot it only with manual focus lenses... if I had the money to burn.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I don't think there is reason to explain the Df, it is what it is. My guess is that it is a one hit wonder, so to speak. I don't think there will be a replacement model released.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    I don't think there is reason to explain the Df, it is what it is. My guess is that it is a one hit wonder, so to speak. I don't think there will be a replacement model released.
    I hope not .. I almost got one .. the only reason I didnt was it did not have a flash commander mode as I use that functionality alot. But I should have got it anyway.. may be I will pick one up second hand someday.

The nerd in me wants the Df the geek in me wants the D750. .. sigh..

just checked ! i can get them for the same price ! .. ienimiminimo .....

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    The DF delivers.

The only reason I don't get the FUJI X series is because they are NOT FX and the sensors are not as great as the the DF and the DF has great focusing and no shutter lag.

It works as intended, to take pictures in good light and low light. Yes I would like the D800/D4 AF points but I manage just fine. I would like a battery grip. I don't need video. I don't need on camera flash.

For video I used the D810 for my wife's makeup hobby and life is great.

Besides my technique and expertise I think it delivers. I may re-edit them as I just took them a few hours ago.

One is with the sigma 50mm 1.4 art and one is the 70-200 2.8 vr and both triggered with Phottix odin sb-910 and sb-800 both with rogue flashbenders

Can you guess which is with the DF and one with the D810?

Adriana at the Lake

Adriana at the Lake 2
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I think a lot of people like the idea of the df just not the execution. I'd have bought one had it had d750 specs and so would a lot of other people.
    Count me in on that. I still might buy it, but it will be for shooting my manual focus lenses when I am "in the mood" and a backup to my D800. If it had 36 megapixels and especially a 2nd sd card, there would be no debate.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The DOF gives it away. The top one is the 50mm and the bottom is the 70-200. Now, I bet you have the 50 on the Df and the zoom on the D810, plus the colors look a bit more D4/Df-ish on the top one.
    @ironheart good job. Yes you are right there is a diffence in colors in skin tones etc. When I took the photos I wasn't considering comparison shots. Those two are probably the best for comparison purposes. For the D810 shot iy is very likely my Human Light stand moved as I forgot the other light stand.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    ^ My thought exactly. The lens.
    I!m probably going to rent a Df someday soon. Would love to see how it handles with the Zeiss 100mm. As far as buying one I dunno. I just have this strange feeling that when the time comes, the D900 is going to take my money very swiftly.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

The DF would actually be a pretty good camera for shooting the 58mm wide open. Both are a little soft compared to shooting the 58mm at f4.0-5.6 on a D810.

I guess my strategy with the DF is this:
    If I think that Nikon will upgrade it to a 24mp or 36mp sensor, I will wait.
    If I think they won't, or the DF will be discontinued, I will buy it in the next year. Sure it is not the performance of my D800 with great glass, but especially when you consider my three manual focus lenses below, that is not the reason to get the DF......

So the million dollar question is...............
    The Df has the same focusing screen as the D800, so I'm not sure what you are hoping to gain by getting the Df. Unless you have some non-AI lenses, there really isn't anything compelling about the Df (looks aside).
    With 2,370 posts, I assume that you have read this thread.

So ................... are you really as clueless as your question suggests? Or are you just trying for the 4th or 5th rerun of the same debate in this 31 page thread?

Don't bother answering, both will be boring.

Perhaps you could take a stab at the million dollar question. That would be interesting.
    edited September 2014
    Heaven forbid that I don't read every post in every thread. Besides, stupid comments beget "clueless" questions in turn. In any case, I didn't ask a question, but then you're so smart, so you should have been able to figure that out. :D
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    OK, you got me. You made a statement, not ask a question.

However, just so we are clear, just which part of the following do you feel is a "stupid comment":

The DF would actually be a pretty good camera for shooting the 58mm wide open. Both are a little soft compared to shooting the 58mm at f4.0-5.6 on a D810.I guess my strategy with the DF is this:

If I think that Nikon will upgrade it to a 24mp or 36mp sensor, I will wait.
    If I think they won't, or the DF will be discontinued, I will buy it in the next year. Sure it is not the performance of my D800 with great glass, but especially when you consider my three manual focus lenses below, that is not the reason to get the DF......So the million dollar question is...............
    OK, I get it. You really don't want to get caught calling something similar to what most of us on here would say at times "stupid". I can understand that.

And for those of you new to this thread, who may not want to read through this whole thread unlike a certain individual that has tried to deny it with a disingenuous deflection, the basic argument is this:

From a technical standpoint, the DF is underwhelming given the price that is being charged. If you are shopping on specs (and I admit, I sometimes do as you can see from my signature) then this is not the camera for you. The camera only shines "specwise" for its price if you want the D4 sensor and want to shoot older lenses (and I apologize in advance if I left out a couple of other things).

However, if you are someone who loves the ergonomics of certain things like older cameras and manual focus lenses (and I love mine, especially my 50 1.2), then this is the camera for you.

Of course, I would like to have my D800 specs in the DF, which is why I am asking the above "million dollar question". Now I know that most of you will understand what the question is. However, if you are one of those that don't, it is "Do you think Nikon will bring out a higher spec version of the DF?"

PS:
    We have had 30 pages of people trashing this camera (OK, I exaggerate). While that is certainly a legitimate discussion, there are those of us that want the camera regardless of the trash that has been dispensed and want to ask questions about the camera. This would be a better thread if legitimate questions were not answered by trash that ignores the question and drowns out the positive discourse.
    Well said. The Df is a love it or hate it camera and for us that love it we are enjoying our captures.
    I think other forums like dpreview are well suited to put such opinions and reviews as to why you hate or love it if this thread is turning from general discussion and informative maybe we such consider a diffrent direction. People like me do google searches for feedback and this thread has people saying that people dont have brains for buying this camera or etc etc
    It doesnt help the NRF community.

Reminds me of local photographer and "friend" who insisted a photo of a kid that i posted of him cutting grass and titled gardening that it was racist and offensive. I mean what else should i have titled it? Surfing?

The point is we are here to help each other out as photography community and be less unproductive with trashing.
    Lets keep it positive.
    Yeah, the part that I found most annoying was when he dismissed anybody that liked the DF as either an owner of old lenses (fine) or shallow unsophisticated hick that buys based on looks (not fine) and then went on further reinforce the implication in his earlier comment that somebody asking questions about the DF is asking stupid questions (and therefore stupid, definitely not fine).

If it was a one time transgression, I would let it slide. But it is a subtle and consistent undertone, not obvious in one instance but obvious as a whole and very wearing.

Similarly to your comments VIPMediastar, I am not a fan of DX and happen to love FX. However, DX is better than 98% of what is out there and fabulous photos are possible and even likely with it. Just because I am an owner of fine FX equipment does not mean that I think DX owners are stupid, poor photographers or poor financially. There are many photographers on this forum that would put paid to that nonsense if I was a bigot that spewed it. In the same token, I deserve to be treated respectfully and not trashed just because I happen to appreciate an older style.
    edited September 2014
    No argument with that Pitchblack. I just don't think that is what he is asserting.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 @PitchBlack. Nicely said.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Damn you Pitchblack. You are so fricken sensible.

PB_PM, since you and I are in the same town, I suggest a lunch. I will treat at a location of your choice. As long as it is close to downtown. I live and work there and don't own a car. I will be out of town from Friday until October the 1st (probably no access to internet), so sometime after that. You can send me a PM and we will arrange it.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    LOL ! ok can I say that your assertions could be wrong ? however right you think they may be ? and therefore your conclusions would also be at least in as much in error as the assertion and probably more so.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited September 2014
    If a members asks what FX camera should I buy we can show them this thread
    http://nikonrumors.com/nikon-d610-vs-d750-vs-d810-vs-df-camera-specifications-comparison/

When a new member ask should I get the D810 or Df for architecute and portraits I would personally suggest the D810
    Those are just some examples.

I pay little attention to the negatism of the Df as I was actually not in favor of it at first.
    I needed a backup camera and street camera and that fit just perfect.

I dont see financial facts or charts as attacks and calling Df owners names doesnt hurt my feelings as I have other things to worry about.

The point is I found this forum when I got tired of other sites with useless info and this became my go to place.
    Let's keep up the moral high with positive feedback as we don't want to turn members away.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    The D750 mops the floor with the Df in almost every conceivable category, and yet it costs significantly less. That's a fact, not an attack. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1826/nikon-df-general-discussion/p31#sthash.xqUyLe5o.dpuf

Perhaps the phrase "almost every conceivable category" is somewhat overworked.
    Leaving aside technical aspects such as low light performance where practical differences may be modest, is it not a viable "category" if a photographer very much dislikes the big black plastic blob that is the D610/D750/D810/D4 camera body and far prefers the look, feel, handling. familiarity and controls on the Df ?

Given all the range of Nikon bodies to choose from I for one am so glad I went for the DF - it is just exactly the photographic tool I want behind my AIS lenses so I would be quite happy to use a D750 to mop the floor and keep the Df for taking photographs.
    You keep bringing up money. Thats why you keep dismissing it. If all FX cameras cost $2,000 we wouldn't have this money issue in almost every page of this thread.

Here we go again... nobody is saying that the Df is without its charms. It can be an excellent tool for some people, but that doesn't mean it's a good value. It's the whole paying 30.4% more money for something that has a far inferior autofocus system, fewer card slots, no built-in wifi, no flash, fewer bracketing options, no video, and a slower frame rate. The 16mp sensor is a Nikon sensor in the Df, so they don't even have to pay Sony for it like they do with the 24mp sensor of the D750. Even if you object and say you don't want those things, the fact is that they cost money to add to the camera.
    I think you make a valid point (and I gave you plus one), but charm is worth something. The question is how much. To me, I am not going to fret about the difference between $2,500 and $3,500 when charm is involved. From a charm perspective, I think that the DF is the best value on the market.

If I am trying to achieve every last little bit of IQ possible, I will use my D800. Otherwise, the DF is a great walkabout camera or second body.