Nikon Df General Discussion

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No way, the kit lens should have been the E Series 50mm F1.8!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Nice thought, but I assume that it would need to be a lens still in production.
    edited August 2014
    True enough. In which case the more affordable 50mm F1.4 AIS would seem more logical.

As to the old E-Series lens, it really isn't that bad, very comparable to the current 1.8G in the tests I've done on the D800.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    That E series lens is pretty good I hear. I forgot about the 50 mm 1.4 MF.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    True enough. In which case the more affordable 50mm F1.4 AIS would seem more logical.

As to the old E-Series lens, it really isn't that bad, very comparable to the current 1.8G in the tests I've done on the D800.
    I have 2 of the old E lenses, both are good. The 50Gs are better but considering I got one with a FG20, and the other for $10, they are really good!

•Formerly TTJ•
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @gnoshme

"I the only person who get warm fuzzy feelings from left hand on the lens?

No!

But, as one from the world of the first "F" bodies, I am of the opinion this is just the equipment and we get used to what is in our hand. When i want the "warm fuzzy" feeling, I sleep with one of my old "F" bodies in the bed… :D
    Msmoto, mod
    If anyone is getting warm fuzzy feelings from camera gear, I think it is time to see a psychotherapist. :))
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Sounds like someone got a rejected frame.

I think they make an adapter for that though. ;)
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    I think your question K is more -why did Nikon geld their recent lenses by deleting the aperture ring? The Df works beautifully for me, set it to M, fit fast prime mf lens, cradle camera left hand with fingies on the aperture ring , having set shutter speed with the lovely control knob on the top plate - twiddle the focus ring then much fuzziness of user feelings but sharp unfuzzy photographs.
    Robin
  • gnoshmegnoshme Posts: 14Member
    Ok.. so I'm really happy with the responses to my question, and I guess what I hadn't though about is that yes, a big part of it is that lens product with aperture rings has gone the way of the dodo, so things are starting to make more sense.

Ironically this all started when I put a friends 50mm 1.8 AF (but the older one with aperture ring) on my D90 and was gutted that I had to lock it wide open and use the thumbwheel. That (and the DX issue) is what started me looking at new cameras because the best shots I've taken in my life were on an FG20 with a 50mm lens and I want to get back to that way of taking photographs.

So am I correct that the Df is the only DX camera that supports such functionality with older lenses with aperture rings? I'm having a hard time finding this data.

Thanks again

Keith
    edited August 2014
    The Df is an FX camera, not DX.

Most of the modern (D7100 and up) advanced amateur, semi-pro and pro bodies have the ability to control the aperture via the aperture ring, including the Df. It is a menu option in camera. Of course it only works with lenses that have an aperture ring.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Last weekend I had my toughest shoot yet, or so I thought but my Df saved the day.

I had to shoot a night drag race. This was a national event and all the top guns were there shooting their Canons.

I'm not one to compare between the two companies but the Canon photogs had to use speedlights whereas I shot without.

I saw some of their released shots today and my Df shots were much better.

Interesting, the night shots were easy for me, it was the dusk shots that ate my lunch.

Now granted this is my home track and I know where all the light spots are on the track but those being pros obviously saw them as well.

This one was shot at dusk, about 30 minutes before the sun was completely down.
    DRAG 965 Kuwait

This one was at night, they all came out this good.
    900-32
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    That's what its all about Bland - great gear for that job.
  • gnoshmegnoshme Posts: 14Member
    @PB_PM. Thanks for the info about aperture rings, and FYI I was referring to my D90 when I was talking about DX.

Thanks

K
    edited August 2014
    That's what its all about Bland - great gear for that job.
    D800 by day, Df by night! :)

Post edited by bland on
    Here's how well the TTL works on the Df, couldn't believe it after I shot it in P Mode today.
    BTW that's a D40 on the counter I gave my daughter when I got my D90, still shoots incredible pictures.

Df TTL
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2014
    LOL! I am on P mode most of the time :-) and with flash when ever needed. Mostly off camera via commander mode CLS. The leader of My camera group advocates Manual and even runs a course on it. but I am known as the P mode guy :-). actually I would recommend learning to use Manual ASAP. but I have had many years in Manual and can switch to manual whenever P mode gets confused. still the automation with Nikon Flash is outstanding.. esp for us guys who have had to do all the calculations with Film before it was all automated by CLS :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

The leader of My camera group advocates Manual and even runs a course on it. but I am known as the P mode guy :-). actually I would recommend learning to use Manual ASAP.
    What's so nice about the P Mode is knowing you're going to get a good shot when you don't have time to tweak the manual settings, like at a family gathering. It's all good! :)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The only time I use P Mode is when I don't get the flash picture I want. It's pretty dependable with flash.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @bland

Yes, family gatherings, especially when one is moving from inside to outside repeatedly. This is the realm of "P" mode for me, if I can remember….LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I know this is a Df thread, not a P mode thread, but I use P mode almost exclusively with my Df. I don't do flash with the Df, but do use the overrides for P mode (P*) when I want to do something different. P mode thinks pretty much the same way I do in most cases, except I always need to keep an eye on what is going on with the ISO, something I didn't have to worry about years ago with my F2 (I kept track of my ISO back then by slipping a film box end in the little holder on the back.)
    P and P* work great on the Df!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2014
    I leave auto ISO on the DF on, unless I want to control the ISO I turn it off. I shoot in A mode for amateur vs P for proffesional. :)
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I leave auto ISO on the DF on, unless I want to control the ISO I turn it off. I shoot in A mode for amateur vs P for proffesional. :)
    Really...great pun. :)) =D>
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Given the very nice specs and pricing of the D750... now can anyone explain the Df? You know, just throwing that out there.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    Given the very nice specs and pricing of the D750... now can anyone explain the Df? You know, just throwing that out there.
    The D750 is for the Geek the Df is for the Nerd. :-)

:-B :-B
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.