Nikon Df General Discussion

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited September 2014
    I am all for retro goodness- I like the FM2.

But let's put it another way- is there anything a Df does that the D750 can't do? Other than the retro controls... I don't see much.

That's why people have problems justifying the existence of a Df.

For people that can afford the Df, I can see why it's attractive to you. But for cash strapped people like myself, I can see why the Df doesn't make sense, especially with the existence D610 and the D750.

By the way, this is from a DX shooter who would really like to see a D300s replacement. You can sort of call me a neutral party...

For those who can afford the Df and like the Df, that's great. For those who like the D750... that's great too? Isn't it wonderful we have the choice to buy both cameras?

I think this is one of those conversations where it's best to just leave it at "I agree to disagree with you...".
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    If everybody agreed with me then everything that I liked would be too expensive to afford.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Currently there are 375 comments on the d750 and I have about 358 unread mostly because I have little interest in the camera and even if I curious i'm not going to post on every other comment the lack of dedicated af/on button.
    That camera is not for me.

In other news I really enjoyed the photos of my weekend shoot with the DF and d810 equally. Both produced great results and they can compliment each other.
    They both can revover nicely if needed and I actually have both cameras set to auto iso when im not using flash but the Df still takes the lead in High Iso.

When I convert the images to black and white I prefer the D810 images over the Df.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    My understanding of the genesis of the Df was that it was not from the marketing department but from the the old engineers who worked on the design of the original F cameras and they in fact had to battle the marketing dept to get it approved and produced. Its not the Visuals of the Df that is the attraction. It's the tactile input. the fact that you have dedicated dials for changing the 3 main parameters (Shutter, Aperture, ISO)

Comparing feature for feature you will of course will see a huge hole in the Df feature set (its missing Video)

Maybe we should be comparing features between the old F series tactile input cameras and the Df.
    As many have said, the Df really does stand apart from the rest of the Nikon lineup. I can almost imagine the Df as being the last design created by the old school engineers before they retire. So in that light it may be the first and only one of its kind and will probably be still sold in 5 years time long after the D610/D810/D750 has been superseded multiple times.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I have three cameras, the D7100, D800 and the Df. If I had to choose one to keep it would be the Df.

Shooting night concerts and night motorsports my Df is supreme to the others out there shooting their high dollar Canons. Most of the Canon shooters revert to flash shooting night motorsports while I shoot with out one.

One of the top pro drag racing photogs was acting disgusted at me and even made remarks as I was shooting without a flash recently. My shots came out better than his and he's since changed his tune about the Df's low light abilities.

So you bashers of the Df need to be comparing it to low light ability, for that's what it is designed for. But obviously you don't have one so that would be impossible for you to do.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    So you bashers of the Df need to be comparing it to low light ability, for that's what it is designed for. But obviously you don't have one so that would be impossible for you to do.
    +1 More need to realize and accept what the camera was designed for and drop the nauseating inference of how it didn't meet their wish list. I have not read one reason for hating this system that doesn't already exist in another body. There are already resolution abundant systems abound, there are cheaper systems in an exuberance, but only 3 other Low light cameras in the industry, D4/s ($6,500), Canon 1D X ($6,700) & Sony a7s ($2,500) along side the DF ($2,700). The camera design is so one never has to worry about the ISO, and it does it in spades. That is it, Nikon has made zero claims other than that. Accept it and move on.

Personally I would love to see them keep this system going with a 16mp chip for multiple generations. That is enough resolution for most everything, and if one needs more, there are 3 other FX bodies to choose from.

I have booked a DF rental again for a job at the end of this month (and I think this one I will be able to share pictures of it) and I'm trying to get my hands on a Sony A7s as well. I have an evening anniversary party at a winery and I can't think of a better camera to have with me alongside a D800. I don't need the bells and whistles of the D4/s, just the chip. If you look at the actual cost, D800(810 now) $2,800 + DF $2,800 = $5,600. A D4s is $6,500. All worlds covered for almost $1,000 less. Take a D750 which covers the speed and resolution, and a DF and you have the bases covered for almost $2k less. We have never had that option ever before in the past.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    Well said. You have made a compelling arguement.

My own personal preference would be a DF with a 36 megapixel sensor. That just suites my style of shooting and the DF's ergonomics are what really inspire me. However, that just means that there are two good reasons to buy a DF.

I suspect that it will be in my bag within a year.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    BoKeh_Hunter said: I have booked a DF rental again for a job at the end of this month (and I think this one I will be able to share pictures of it) and I'm trying to get my hands on a Sony A7s as well. I have an evening anniversary party at a winery and I can't think of a better camera to have with me alongside a D800. I don't need the bells and whistles of the D4/s, just the chip. If you look at the actual cost, D800(810 now) $2,800 + DF $2,800 = $5,600. A D4s is $6,500. All worlds covered for almost $1,000 less. Take a D750 which covers the speed and resolution, and a DF and you have the bases covered for almost $2k less. We have never had that option ever before in the past.

+1 and well said. And excellent assessment of the options. If more people and magazines reach that conclusion the D750 sales are going to be high...of course along with the Df.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    See what I mean! LOL

canon shooter
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    See what I mean!

Tried to get my manager who's a AARP member {Nikon's retired version} to get the D750, but she, like you, Loves the Df.
    Just sent her the 10percent off of Nikon refurbished items. She's picking up a DF with a 50 mm lens for $2499+10% off! That's a great deal!

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I understand that I don't represent the mainstream of DSLR users, but I have my choice of three different full-frame bodies for personal use. If I'm out and about (not where I have to take photographs that might be used for work) I carry the DF. It feels good. I like it, and I like myself when I'm taking pictures with it.

But I have a slide rule on my desk that I use for recreational math.

And I think "The Surfin' Bird" is the greatest rock and roll song ever written. No kidding.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    @Symphotic, Funny and I do like the song. Done by The Trashmen. :-c
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Tomorrow I may take out the DF for a long day with the family at an event that I may only have about 15 minutes to take photos of the kids and us. However the area has a nice lake with trees and the foilage should be turnig colors by now. I'm tempted to take the d810 and deal with the bulk along with flash and ipad in my mini messenger bag.
    There is a chance to take more photos indoors and this is were the DF would definately help with the high ISO. I know decisions, decisions but I already have the sigma 50mm 1.4 art as the lens choice of the day.

I use the iphone for recreational photos and my kids favorite song is Gangnam style and now recently it is "I feel like a woman" w/ Shania Twain for my daughter as she likes to sing the song and wave her arms like in the video.

Tried to get my manager who's a AARP member {Nikon's retired version} to get the D750, but she, like you, Loves the Df.
    Just sent her the 10percent off of Nikon refurbished items. She's picking up a DF with a 50 mm lens for $2499+10% off! That's a great deal!

That's awesome, she is so going to enjoy her Df like the rest of us are doing.
    If she doesn't know already tell her to move the speed dial to 1/3 Step so she can use the dial to change speeds on the back of the camera. It took me forever to figure that out but I'm old and mindless! LOL
    Not to beat a dead horse, but would anyone considering a Df still get a Df if there's a D750?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Why would I get a D750 when I have a D800.

But a DF, with better low light and ergonomics that I like?

So NSXTypeR, absolutely yes!
    Not to beat a dead horse, but would anyone considering a Df still get a Df if there's a D750?
    NO I would NOT consider the Df. I would take the D750.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Where you considering a DF Photobug?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2014
    I would definitely consider a DfS ;-) .. I have actually looked at the Df vs D750 and yes, as it is now, the D750 really rocks. But it wont need much of a tweak to add the D750 tech into the Df (AF system, commander Flash although the SB500 sort of covers that requirement now)

Seriously though I would still consider a Df as a great second camera to complement a Pro DX camera, to cover the Lowlight Wide angle(Travel:Church/Temple/Mansions), or theatre or NightStreet. I really love the functionality of the Df Dials. I have been using fully M mode more lately and having to check and recheck the setting by turning on the camera is annoying... with the Dials I can just glance at them.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    I want the DF. It is just complementary to all the rest of Nikon's bodies. The focus is just fine with it - the metering though needs the D800 meter in it.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    I certainly don't mind paying more for more features, as long as the ergonomics don't change.
    Where you considering a DF Photobug?
    Yes I actually did consider buying the Df as my first FX body and after using it several times decided the control layout was not what I wanted. It sure is outstanding at high ISO values and low light, but that is not my primary use.
    What motivated you too look at it initially?
    edited October 2014
    I would definitely consider a DfS ;-) .. I have actually looked at the Df vs D750 and yes, as it is now, the D750 really rocks. But it wont need much of a tweak to add the D750 tech into the Df (AF system, commander Flash although the SB500 sort of covers that requirement now)

Seriously though I would still consider a Df as a great second camera to complement a Pro DX camera, to cover the Lowlight Wide angle(Travel:Church/Temple/Mansions), or theatre or NightStreet. I really love the functionality of the Df Dials. I have been using fully M mode more lately and having to check and recheck the setting by turning on the camera is annoying... with the Dials I can just glance at them.
    As a second camera I would certainly consider the Df. But I can't afford a second camera, and as for sheer value there's no beating the D750. Compared to the Df, there's an almost $450 difference. That's almost the price of an 85mm 1.8.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    edited October 2014
    For sure technical value, I agree. It is hard to beat the D750. It is a great move into FX for someone that wants a semi-pro body?
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on