Nikon Df General Discussion

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    What motivated you too look at it initially?
    My initial reasoning to check out the Df was:
    --FX body
    --ISO ratings
    __DxO rating

After using it twice I did like the Retro concept but that was not what I wanted. I wanted similar control layout and not revert back to the 1970's.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    What motivated you too look at it initially?
    My initial reasoning to check out the Df was:
    --FX body
    --ISO ratings
    __DxO rating

After using it twice I did like the Retro concept but that was not what I wanted. I wanted similar control layout and not revert back to the 1970's.
    What about it made it revert you back to the 1970's?

I am genuinely curious, was it the good control scheme but shallow grip of the camera?

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    edited October 2014
    I don't get the 70's comment at all either. Other than the -/+ dial, the rest of the contools are no different than any other Nikon DSLR. It is a D610 with a kick-ass sensor in a retro body. There is a few combination controls that are lacking, but I'm not sure if that is just on the pro bodies and not on the lesser ones or not.

You can actually customize the buttons and the layouts in the Info button menu more than the D800 which should put everything close to where you want it.
    Post edited by Bokeh_Hunter on
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    First impressions: Nikon Df

• The first lens I mounted was my pre-Ai Nikkor 43-86mm f/3.5.
    • Not sure how much better the Df's low-light performance is over my Nikon D3s.
    • The Nikon Df's "bad" AF is pretty good.
    • The Nikon Df's "small" AF array isn't that bad.
    • The camera isn't that hard to turn on.
    • I actually think the front grip is adequate.
    • I like that I can't accidentally change the mode dial.
    • Don't miss the pop-up flash one bit.
    • Right-strap lug isn't an issue, since I put the strap's ends only through the left lug.
    • It's about as difficult to manually focus as I expected.
    • The drive mode was "impossible" to change until I found the lever.
    • I'd never really used auto-ISO, but on the Df, I'm shooting everything in auto-ISO.
    • Pretty sure I would've been unhappy with the A7s (even though its high-ISO is amazing).
    edited December 2014
    Reading some of the comments over the last few pages, I noticed that some of the recent discussions mentioned comparisons between the Df and the D750. I actually wanted to start a new Df thread titled, "Nikon Df: One Year Later," to get early adopters' take on their Df bodies after 12 months of ownership (but decided to keep the forum tidy and just latched onto this thread instead).

For me, had the D750 been released in 2011, I would own two D750s, instead of two D3s bodies. Nikon's full-frame, integrated-grip bodies are heavy, and now, I'm all about traveling lighter. But, since I already own two high-performance "sports" bodies, I have no need for a D750 (other than weight-reduction).

What I wanted was a lighter, smaller, full-frame body, with a low-light sensor every bit as good (and perhaps even better) than my bulky D3s. I also wanted to be able to use pre-Ai lenses, and other manual-focus Nikkors I've collected, but the Df's matte screen still makes manual focusing a chore. Believe me, I was as disappointed as anyone when the Df's specs were released and no micro-prism/split-collar was present . . . c'est la vie.

But, buying a year after the Df's introduction allowed me to acquire a refurbished Df at a fair discount, so for buyers considering both bodies now, at least price is no longer a key differentiator.
    Post edited by studio460 on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Man I love those colours ....
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

If you mean the colors in my just-got-my-almost-brand-new-Nikon Df "test" photos, thanks!
    edited December 2014
    Yes, .JPGs. Wasn't crazy about that flesh tone myself. That's the baked-in Nikon "portrait" in-camera .JPG profile that I thought I'd give a try (I normally leave the baked-in profile set to "neutral"). The lighting was very late-afternoon daylight coming from the windows.

But on closer inspection, my exposure must've also picked up a nearby LED desk lamp (outputting an incomplete-spectrum, appearing green) on her left cheek, since when I try to correct the left cheek, the right cheek goes magenta. White balance was set to auto.

I used three different lenses in the above photos: AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G, AF-S 60mm Micro-Nikkor f/2.8G, AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G.
    Here's an un-corrected .JPG. I think the in-camera profile at this time was set to "neutral." Backlighting is from a 6500-degree Kelvin household T12 fluorescent; front-lighting is from the late-afternoon daylight coming from the windows. White balance is set to auto:

Nikon Df + AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G.
    ISO: 800; f/1.4 @ 1/125th.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @studio460 congrats on your purchase. I don't have a year with it yet but I'm loving mine. I am waitng to get a grip or half case but I think a grip would benefit me more but they don't have one with af/on yet.

I agree with most of your points above. I do like playing with the AIS lens and been looking into collecting more ais on the cheap from ebay or other used stores.

Try getting the DK-17M if needed to magnify your viewfinder.

Here is one with the 55mm 2.8 AIS macro. I did alter the WB and used VSCO for final tone as I didn't like what the FL lights did to the photo

Generous

with the sigma 50mm 1.4 art

DFB_1124-vms

and 85mm 1.8G (one of my favorite primes with this camera)

Untitled
    edited December 2014
    Thanks, VIP! I really like your exterior portraiture work! We took a drive to Century City today to do some Xmas shopping, and I brought along my new Df for its first outing:

All images shot available-light, manual mode, with auto-ISO enabled, using AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G, and AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G lenses.
    Now looking to buy a 45° split-image/micro-prism collared focusing screen for my Df. According to comments on this flickr thread, it works:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikondfdlsr/discuss/72157639962715284/
    edited December 2014
    I have used several focusing screens before. I would suggest that you get one with the micro prism as well as the split screen as they work in different situations. the 45 degree split is nice but if you get one without the micro prism you lose 1/3 if your focusing functionality. you can always focus in with the camera tilted slightly and you will be "focus recompose" ing a lot anyway. Most things don’t have horizontal alignment only, and even if they do you can use the micro prism part or tilt the camera.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited December 2014
    24-hours later: Nikon Df

At first, I was just about ready to return my Df because I was so used to quickly spinning the command dial to change ISO on my Nikon D3s. But, I've realized that I'm using the Df differently. Now, I have auto-ISO turned on pretty much 100% of the time on the Df, and I don't miss that feature at all. I bought this camera primarily to shoot available-light, so my lenses pretty much stay nailed at their maximum aperture, and my shutter speed is typically set to between 1/125th-1/250th.

Although the Df is significantly thicker, I do feel like I'm shooting with my old Nikon FM again. I find that its lighter weight encourages more spontaneous shooting. When carrying a D3s on the street, people think I'm a paparazzo, but with the Df, I feel I look more like a "photographer."

I also really appreciate all the control-locking mechanisms on the camera because that's my main complaint I have with my other bodies--I seem to constantly, inadvertently bang my front or rear command dials, changing my shutter speed or aperture unintentionally during shoots (99% of the time, I shooting in manual mode on all of my bodies).

I have to admit, during the first hour of ownership, I was a bit ambivalent about the camera. But, now . . . I've turned into "one of those people." I f****** love it.
    edited December 2014
    I have used several focusing screens before. I would suggest that you get one with the micro prism as well as the split screen as they work in different situations.
    Yes, micro-prisms make acquiring focus super-easy. Focus-recompose will present another challenge, but focusing on the factory matte screen is too much work. My first 35mm SLRs had split-image/micro-prism collared screens, which I really like. The availability of a 45° split-prism is an added plus.
    edited December 2014
    The colors are more likely the function of the lens, @heartyfisher, though I can't say that I love the rendering of the skin tones. I'm assuming those are JPG files?
    dunno . i like enhanced skin .. but I love that natural look of that sensor output. even if the artificial light got the skin a tiny bit wonky it can easily be corrected. would make an excellent street or documentary photographers camera I think..

@studio .. love these samples .. gives me the itch !! .. :-(

Post edited by heartyfisher on

. . . would make an excellent street or documentary photographers camera.

Thanks! That's exactly what I bought the camera for, and I haven't done any street photography since I first bought my Nikon D3s back in 2011. I guess I've been so busy concentrating on my studio lighting technique, I've neglected my available-light work (which I think is the most personally rewarding kind of photography). I've been itching to go out and shoot on the streets again . . . hopefully, I'll take the Df out some night soon.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    As I sit here typing, I see that the Df is close at hand with the 35 mm Sigma 1.4 mounted and ready to go. The D810 is across the room, and the D800 sits in the lab at work mounted on a tripod with a macro lens pretty much on it all the time. (I'm writing a document on hybrid fiber optic and copper cables now, and those fibers are pretty tiny.)
    I don't think the Df is the best of the three: they are all great, but the Df is what I grab first. Go figure.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member

I don't think the Df is the best of the three: they are all great, but the Df is what I grab first. Go figure.
    Same here, my D800 is a better camera but I'm always grabbing my Df first.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I'm willing to confess this: I wish I had one in my bag for my trip to Europe. The D4, in relation to the Df, is a far cry in weight; moreover, with a Df you just blend in with the crowd when using a 24, 35, 50mm primes (the Nikon versional at least...the Sigma 35 & 50 Arts you still standout due to their size) all day long.

My trip to Europe is going to provide me with valuable data in really see what is worth owning/taking on an overseas trip, given the type of photography I will encounter and like to do.

Lastly, I wonder how many times I will be stopped from taking pictures by some security guard or museum attendant by saying: "No professional photography allowed." I have a couple good comebacks for them should this occur.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Symphotic, bland: Interesting comments about the Df being your first "grab." I love it, too. About your Europe trip, Golf, I admit, buying the Df was a luxury--I certainly didn't "need" it, and using all of my AMEX cash rewards to pay for it took much of the sting out of the purchase. Of course I'm still in my honeymoon period, having owned it for only a few days now.
    Here's a few shots from today's outing, carrying only the Df + AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G:

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited December 2014
    @Golf let me borrow your 200mm f2 and Ill let you borrow my df.

Well we finally have sunlight in chicago after several weeks and I grabbed the Df for some ice skating shots. Yesterday I used it for my son`s portraits too. It is a pleasure to use and so much easier for me to adjust settings and "think" when addressing the light with flash. I must admit that with the 70-200 it was struggling with AF but my son was not staying still of course. With the sigma 50 not so much issues. The only thing that was diffrent was when I had the 50mm the tv was on and maybe that helped as a modeling light. The speedlights were arranged in way that the beam would have not helped. Maybe this is were the on camera modeling light would have helped. Round two of portraits will be today. Ill keep tv on and see if that helps.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I'm willing to confess this: I wish I had one in my bag for my trip to Europe. The D4, in relation to the Df, is a far cry in weight; moreover, with a Df you just blend in with the crowd when using a 24, 35, 50mm primes (the Nikon versional at least...the Sigma 35 & 50 Arts you still standout due to their size) all day long.

My trip to Europe is going to provide me with valuable data in really see what is worth owning/taking on an overseas trip, given the type of photography I will encounter and like to do.

Lastly, I wonder how many times I will be stopped from taking pictures by some security guard or museum attendant by saying: "No professional photography allowed." I have a couple good comebacks for them should this occur.
    Comment 1: Does the first paragraph imply a Df could be added to your "Wish List for 2015"? :D

Comment 2: I have had the same issues with museum attendants with my D200, D300 and the D7100. It really helps to turn off pre AF light. I have had several make comments that I could not use a flash and when I told them yes you did you the flash I had to explain in detail the difference between flash and pre AF light. Now I simply turn off the AF pre light. I am patient with these people tell them I am not a pro just an avid photographer. Always stay positive - no negative attitude. I have seen a few get removed from the Pittsburgh and Indianapolis Art Museums. Once I learned 3 years ago how to use AUTO ISO my inside shots are fine.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |