Nikon Df General Discussion

Comments

• blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I've decided the Df will be my main camera this year shooting drag racing, over my D800 and D7100.

The reason why is super fast AF, fast FPS and it's ISO ability, along with full frame quality.

I've been hesitate about this because of the picture size. But this evening when I cropped I set the resolution to 400 and then resized to my needs and the quality was still there.

The picture below was shot at dusk this evening, shooting directly into the sitting sun and the Df nailed it, as it did all my other shots.

Df TNT 1
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Good review. My comments
    Who cares if it has video! This is not the prime target.

Under stand why it has a smaller battery, but what a pain not being interchangeable with D600/800/D4/D7100.

Good assessment on the weakness and strengths.

Totally agree this is a premium product that was developed for a specific market. It's not for everyone.

Sold a D4 to keep the Df. Interesting. Not sure I would have done that.

Thanks Golf for posting, good review to help with decision making.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2014
    Good review. My comments
    Sold a D4 to keep the Df. Interesting. Not sure I would have done that.
    That's because he likes the Canon flagship camera better..
    It does show that the DF is not a "primary" camera for a pro. for an advanced amateur .. maybe it is.
    I was tossing up between the D610 and the Df for a long time.. .. what tipped the scale for me was the lack of a flash commander. and the very reasonable drop in price recently. also being a Dx shooter.. the extra MP (and high PMP) makes the D610 very very usable in Dx mode :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited April 2014
    Once you go FX you wont go DX at least not me so cheap dx body is not an option.

I gave in yes sir and less than 5hrs playing with it im sold. Here is why
    My D800 is at nikon for re-repair its great at f8 but 1.4-2.8 it sucked. I got two other d800 one was sharp but shutter was making a screech sound. Second d800 was had left focus issue and then it also started doing a screech. I had 3 d800's at once and mine sounds like a normal shutter sound.

so that is my scenerio. I traded one for a DF and returned the other for another d800 (in transit).

With the DF all of my lenses are focused and sharp at the focus point at 1.4-2.8.

Here is what I like about it. Changing ISO is now 100x easier for me vs d800. The thumb clicks down and the index finger rotates all without having to remember buttons or look on top of camera.

I shoot in aperture priority and do exposure comp as needed. I always mixed up the wheels front and back and now i just just front dial with my index finger. Another improvement for me.

I always accidentaly in manual or aperture moved the wheels and didn't notice right away that my exposures had changed. The d800 has an option to lock shutter and aperture the DF doesnt (haven't found it yet) but guess what the pin lock and front shutter solves another issue for me.

I took a few pics already and two other people have seen them and one comment was "the colors pop while keeping skin tones true" (@golf)

Also im not missing the auto focus light. Doing candids in street shooting doesn't work very well. I keep forgetting to turn off (or even doing a custom setting bank for d800) not a biggie so I don't miss it.

my cons:

*front placement for camera strap. I can live with it once i get used to it.
    *just a tad too slim for a grip, a battery grip or wrist strap would help for the way i grip my camera.
    *no viewfinder curtain
    *no lcd cover.

So for my endless street and portaits this is the camera. Hopefully less attention as it looks like a film camera ( i got the silver one).

I put some photos for a photo contest. I displayed two d800 photos and now I have a new client for architecture shots.
    Im going to give the DF a run on these type of shots if it proves great with my style and technique the d800 goes bye bye if not then I keep the D800 for these type of jobs.

I not only liked the retro look I liked the concept.

Edit: auto iso can be set in the menu or sub-menu on the fn. I set it this way and the fn main is no flash.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited April 2014
    Great feedback Vipmediastar. Nice to see that you got the silver one. Black just doesn't seem right.

I will probably bite the bullet next year, the DF will go perfectly with my manual focus lenses.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • NikonMickNikonMick Posts: 41Member
    > the DF will go perfectly with my manual focus lenses.

A Df with the form factor of an FT-3, and the internals of a Df (sensor, high ISO, frame rate, etc) would go even better with your manual lenses.

;-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68039985@N08/11213892414/in/photostream

Mick
    > the DF will go perfectly with my manual focus lenses.

A Df with the form factor of an FT-3, and the internals of a Df (sensor, high ISO, frame rate, etc) would go even better with your manual lenses.

;-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68039985@N08/11213892414/in/photostream

Mick
    Yup........

...............sadly, the DF is as close as I am likely to get.
    edited May 2014
    As much as I wanted to stay incognito I am still getting aproached but mostly by older people who have shot with Film and ask if its film or digital.
    I would have to say that the younger kids tend to ignore me which is great because I don't hear the comments that me think twice of leaving the area in a fast pace.

+1 week with the camera and I'm enjoying it.
    I actually like the akward placement for the neck strap. The camera sits flush inside my messenger bag.
    I picked up a LCD protector and now I'm at ease of mind with it.

While it doesn't display the battery percentage as I would have liked once a bar is missing from the battery meter that means that 30% is left on the battery (according to the WU-1A adapter (it doesn't work well with my iphone too slow and looses connection). With image review off im getting about 1600 shots (tested twice).

With the 24-70 it is not heavy with the 70-200 it starts to get heavy but It is not heavy. I cross my arms for support and I manage to get good results.

I have used auto iso just to test its capabilities but I actually prefer manually selecting my iso so I will stick to that after today.

I was used to the meter button of the d800 and im not a fan of the DF one.
    The camera is not very glove friendly especially the PASM dial unless I purchase some slimer gloves the thick leather ones are an issue.

I'll probaly have a full review soon but this is just fresh on my mind.
    edited June 2014
    Just a little update. I have passed the return window but I wasn't planning on returning it.

I still find the exposure selector weak. I keep accidentaly changing it when I remove the camera out of the bag about 1 of every 20 times.

I carry it everywhere even to the DR's office. I shot my son's two month old pics at the Dr's office while waiting for his shots.
    The CFO saw the pics on the lcd and was like "woooow those look great" (sigma 35 1.4 A and 85 1.8g) and then asked if was going to sell the D800. haha

At my last event it sat nicely on the peak design plate and with the flash bracket and ttl cord it made me look real old school.

I just ran into a Canon shooter and he was impressed with the camera. I approached him about his setup and then he asked about mine. He was doing a panorama of one of the Plaza's.
    We exchanged cards and will keep in touch because he wants to know more about the DF

• Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    I have bitten the (expensive) bullet and ordered a Df, the price has come down a tadge in UK and the 50mm af lens only added £56 to the cost so I have the kit coming. Question for anyone using a Df with older kit - I have two SB 16b Speedlights and a SB50x Speedlight. These relics don't have i ttl but are fine for ttl on my film cameras. Would they work adequately - primarily for bounce flash or fill in flash with the Df?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Older flashes only operate in full auto mode on modern Nikon bodies, and the Df is no exception.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thanks for that PB_PM, auto it is then. I see on the Speedlight thread that a hammerhead flash is suggested as cool looking with the Df. I have a big Metz 45 CL-4 but haven't used it for years _ maybe time to wheel it out again, a nice blast of light from the past.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'd be careful using old flashes on modern bodies - I hear there are hostile voltages present at the terminals that could kill your camera. I'd ask Metz AND Nikon if it were my camera.
    Always learning.
    Thanks spraynpray. Both the SB16B and SB50DX are listed in the Df user manual as being compatible - so I had a go with the 16b - non ttl auto or manual as PB stated. Great if lots of light needed but beyond my competence for balanced fill in so I have gone all modern and got an SB700 - makes a nice outfit. I won't try it with the Metz....... I have found the Df incidentally to be an absolute delight to use - build quality better than suggested by some reviews and the handling wonderful, just as nice a picture taking machine as my beloved FM3a and FM2 bodies. So glad I went for it and not the Fuji. Had a go with all my mf Nikkors - manual focusing requires a bit of care but perfectly do - able.
    The low light capability is just amazing - although as a fast film user I am easily amazed of course. For most shots in low light I find it best to leave the flash off unless fill in is required. All in all I think Nikon have done a fantastic job with the Df- love it!
    @pitchblack if you still can use it for a day with the 85 1.4G
    Not only will you give good feedback to the user looking at the Df and 85 1.4G lens but you can give us more feedback with the sigma art lens the 35 and 50. (The 35 needs firmware upgrade to work properly on DF)

I held a Leica for the first time this month and it was impressive with all the metal and focusing system.

Focus the Df manually With your framing and see if that changes for you.
    edited July 2014
    I hear you on the manual focus.
    I just wanted to see what a Pro like you can do with the DF.
    The Df is clearly not for everyone; regardless of their shooting skills.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Alright I did a "real world" fashion shoot outside in the hot humid day on tuesday.
    I had the DF with 70-200 2.8 at mostly F4 and +.7 to +1

Had I been a little bit taller or used a stool I wouldn't have an issue but here the D800/D4 AF points would have been really appreciated.

I did manage to get the AF point on the face by raising the camera higher than normal from my view point/.eye causing strain to my wrist.

While I'm patiently waiting for Nikon to come out with an official grip with AF/ON this might be the killer for me if they don't and I wished I had the D800 that day.

I looked at the photos and they look great IMO but the angle of view is not best when the Model's reached the end of the stage closest to me.

If I was further away or slightly elevated or grew a foot overnight the story might be different.

I'll try to edit some tonight and post one or two photos.
    ...grew a foot overnight the story might be different....
    Pearstone PSL-3S 3-Step HD Photographers Ladder With Wheels.

Product review.
    Haha yeah that and another version is on my wish list. I was doing street when I encountered the show but this time the setup was different so I had to adjust.

I have one without wheels but the wheels will be a back saver on my next event.
    Well here a couple with the the DF and 70-200 2.8 and some wrist strain

DFB_8270-vms

DFB_8236-vms
  • gnoshmegnoshme Posts: 14Member
    I don't understand why there is not more discussion of aperture rings when it comes to the Df. It's retro-looking, and there's a huge deal made of the real knobs to make changes, but it seems like there is this global acceptance that control wheels are better than an aperture ring, and I for one don't get it.

So what am I missing? For me the Df doesn't miss the mark because of things like no video, it misses the mark because it's tried to go vintage in terms of controls, and it DOES support aperture rings on many lenses, but it comes with a 50mm lens with no aperture ring.

Can y'all help me understand why a camera being pushed with a vintage film look, vintage style shutter speed and ISO controls doesn't push HARD to also bring vintage aperture manipulation? Am I the only person who get warm fuzzy feelings from left hand on the lens?

.. and while I'm here, which of the other FX Nikons have this same feature? It's really not clear to me..

Thanks in advance.

K
    edited August 2014
    gnoshme: The modern lens design, with AF, in addition to the elements within them, have made the used of aperture rings mute. For those that like or have such lenses, then the DF is perfectly suited for them. If you posses such lenses, then get the DF and give us some feedback.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    I sometimes think that the kit lens with the DF should have been the 50mm 1.2 MF, not a 50mm 1.8G.