Should we start organizing real meetings of forum members/blog readers? Meeting Schedule is Posted.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    One idea could be to get together for a day, spend a five day shooting out in the state, then return to see what has happened.  The tour to the top of Pikes Peak could be a two or three person event in my car, for example.  I suppose we need a poll of those who have an interest, possibly the budget of those who attend as to the motel, and get some ideas going.  For example, if we were at the Broadmoor for seven nights, this is about $3500.....probably not an option.....Manitou Springs, a neat place,has motels for about $90-110 a night, probably average.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    We rented a house in Cripple Creek a few years back. I think it had four bedrooms and was real nice atop of the mountain. I'll check with my wife what was the cost but it was something like $100 a day. Something like that might be good in a central location. I will drive from Texas so if someone would need a ride or picked up at an airport i could do that.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I like what I'm seeing here. Once we get the address, I will then figure out whether it is best for me to drive or to fly. We are going to need a car or two in order for us all to be mobile. If I drive, I will drive my MB R350 thus I can assist in taking 4-6 of us around. If I take 4 people I can put the back seats down thus allowing for lots of gear to be taken while we make our way around Colorado. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    edited December 2012
    Colorado sounds great as does the dates!
    Post edited by bland on
  • pollardapollarda Posts: 2Member
    Colorado sounds nice but where? In particular, what sights would people like to see? 

Why not fly into Denver and then (drive) over to Moab where we can visit Canyonlands, Arches, and a slew of other national parks within easy driving distance.  Needless to say, it is quite photogenic. At least Tom Till is able to make a living there. ;-)

There is usually lodging available though around Easter Jeep Safari, it can get to be a bit dicey finding a room.

-Art
  • DexxDexx Posts: 1Member
    Just thought I'd throw this out there. I can organize a Az/Ut border trip with plenty of already well photographed places as mentioned but with a lot more depths into the places that really make this area what it is. Depending on the length of time most want to venture this could continue on into New Mexico or start earlier in S. Cal and up through Tuscon. Im based in Sedona so arrangements can be made with transportation etc. fairly easily. The path could easily route to Colorado where a return flight to anywhere in the u.s. is relatively the same price. Monsoon season would run June-Sept but it's amazing year round.

• PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I think we should stay out of the big cities and closer to the national parks.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Well, I posted a comment but the browser came back with a page not found error. Trying again.

What I was saying that that things change fast; being away from the Forum a few days the destination of the field trip changed quite dramatically. I think Colorado is a great place to practice one's photography, but it is a big place. One could easily spend a week at Rocky Mountain NP or down in the southwest photographing  Anazasi ruins. Any rate, July is out for me, so I will be on the trip in spirit and will expect to see a slew of great photos on PAD following the trip.

I still plan to go to Yellowstone the week of May 19; people are welcome to join me if they wish.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I work that week but I'm still tentatively in for that Saturday (25?), Yeti. I'll mention this for those who don't know because I think Yeti won't say it himself: his specialty is in parks management and he's been in the Yellowstone area for a long time. I think he could organize an amazing photo tour of the Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP area!
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Such a pity You will not come Yeti. I really hoped to meet You there and learn from You. 
    edited December 2012
    I volunteer to take the meeting to Yeti.  From the Colorado Springs area, I go to Keystone, then to Boise, ID.  And on to Glacier, no doubt Kalispell is it works out.

So, if Mike, Yeti, Jonny, and any others are on my itinerary, geographically, we can have a dinner or something and tell lies about all our great photos...LOL
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    count me in msmoto, just tell me the code of the arrival and of the departure airport so I could get my tickets and get a car :) 
    Wow, things happen fast, gone from the Forum a couple of days and we went from yellowstone to colorado. That is fine, and its an excellent place for landscapes and wildlife. I cannot go in July as I am completely occupied, and August would be difficult for me to get there. Now I will be there is spirit, so no problems, and expecting to see a slew of great photos on PAD as a result.

In terms of Colorado, I'd say find a nice base camp location for the day trips. To visit Moab, one can also fly to Salt Lake if that Arches and Canyonlands, Natural Bridges etc are the destinations.

In case anyone still wants to go to Yellowstone, in May, I plan on going the week of May 19.

I guess I have not mastered the new forum, as my comments got replicated. Any rate, thank you Jonny Apple. I co-direct a seminar in July that basically takes the entire month, so thats why I cannot make the Colorado thingy.
    Msmoto and Adam and others, I would welcome a visit and trip up to Glacier in August. Adam, you can leave either from the Glacier International Airport near Kalispell (FCA) or from Missoula (MSO). Both have fairly good service to Denver (DIA), Seattle (SEA), Minneapolis (MSP), primarily through Delta, United or Alaska and Horizon airlines.

Mike Gunter lives up there as well and most likely knows Glacier much better than I, so there would be some good hosts.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Since my wife and I spend last Summer in Ecuador and Peru, we do  plan to spend most of it in Montana.

I do live about 10-15 minutes from FCA and about 30-40 minutes from Glacier National Park.

I also have some information about the region, hotels and tourist sites, things to do and see, too. Our students that come here for software training have also asked so we have it fairly handy, and I can get most of it up in a couple of days.

The area can accommodate quite a few, likely as many as would be up for a trip. Cost could be an issue. It just depends upon what one considers expensive or cheap. Whitefish, Montana, has several hotels and meeting rooms, Glacier National Park has MacDonald Lodge. The Park isn't inexpensive. Kalispell generally has a number of hotels for conventions and such, including a Hilton Garden Inn.

Shooting here can be a delight or a nightmare. We are currently are at near average moisture levels. We had horrible fire months from August through October. A fire season is something that could ruin a shoot or could make a photographer a tidy sum, depending upon what and where and when and so on. Wrecks havoc on lungs. Any aspiring news photographers would have their hands full, but it could be aspirating.

Troubling (or more to the point the opportunities) are that picture taking events are miles (and miles) and miles apart. That doesn't have to be a bad thing. But be aware that Going-to-the-Sun Road from the Park entrance to Logan Pass back to the entrance is only 60 miles or so but takes all day.

Going to Kintla Lake (one of the best picture opportunities you'll have - it's at the North West part of the Park and you'll pass Polebridge, Montana, taking Northfork Road along the North Fork from Colombia Falls) from Kalispell will take all day, too.

And to get good light, well, it's going to be a long, long day at that.

While any of this is doable, it's a lot to do, and it is a lot. Let me know what questions you may have, and I will do my best to answer them.

And as always, my best,

Mike
    thanks Yeti for the info, if I would come I could easily stay till 6-7th Sept, so if we could do glacier it would be nice. I will start searching for flights to DEN in and FCA out for 23rd Jul-6th Aug,

as for costs... I know that we have some members that can easily spend $400-$500/night but let try to keep the price to $100... and if we will have at least 10 ppl than we can negotiate the prices. 
    edited December 2012
    As to the Going to the Sun Road, I was planning on a one day shoot, the next day riding the Red Bus, then a third day shoot.  In 2008, I rode my motorcycle from Kellogg to East Glacier Lodge, across Going to the Sun Road, and that was a long day!
    Adam, check on Flying into Colorado Springs, CO (COS) for the initial as well.  A search of airports in the US can make an enormous difference in price...up to 40%.

We need a list of folks who may be attending.  So, if folks want to PM me, I will start a list which will be public  I suppose we can say the "meeting" would be in the time frame of July23-27, 2013, tentatively in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.  The idea would be folks could do several days of trips earlier in the general area (500 mile radius) then after the meeting go off again to the other venues.  Comments?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    tommie - august or july?
    just checked the map and it's a lot of driving from Denver to Glacier
    edited December 2012
    Sorry...July...old folks you know...can't read calendar
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The Sand Dunes rock.  The Railroads rock.  Red Rocks rock.  

Lots and lots and lots to shoot here in Colorado

FYI the Sports Photography Workshop is in Colorado Springs from July 17th through the 23rd.

Denver Shooter
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@adamz, from Denver to Glacier is 1000 miles, more or less. I've done it in a day, but don't like doing it that way.

We can get snow in any month, but rarely get snow in July and August, although nighttime temps do sometimes drop to the low 30s in late August even though it could be 100 during the day. 

Tourist season is from Memorial Day (last Sunday of May) to Labor Day (first Monday in September), and the limit is two. ;-)

We're busy now with Winter sports, skiing, snowmobiling, and the like, and will be until Whitefish Ski Resort and Blacktail Resort close. Then we can make a left turn on the highway again, until Summer season starts.

Huckleberries are off at the end of July in Flathead County.

My guess is that what people should start posting is 'what' they are keen to photograph. 

The Triple D Game Farm is here in Kalispell. I did one of his daughter's wedding, and both of his daughters and sons-in-laws are very good friends of mine. I think Thom Hogan has been there. The Triple D caters to all kinds of photographers/filmmakers and has dozens of species of wild animals in a 'natural' environment to photograph. It isn't cheap. I've been invited to go, but been busy when asked. (I think they will stop asking if I don't free up some time.)

Not everyone is an outdoor enthusiast. I'm not one in particular (I have spent a lot of time outdoors in a previous life). I happen to live here, but my interest in photography doesn't happen to be in 'outdoors'. 

That (type of interest), relative cost, and best  proximity for most should (IMHO) should drive the train for location.

Again, whatever questions anyone may have, I'll certainly try to answer as I can, and my best to all,

Mike
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited December 2012

Sounds like you guys will be having a lot of fun.  Wish I could join in but I don't thinks it's in the cards.  Coincidentally, I will be landing in Denver and heading to Steamboat Springs on January 2nd. The climate will be a real test for my gear.  If I don't get lost in a snow bank I'll be posting photos on PAD soon after our return home.

Cheers! 

Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    July/August:  Not to hijack this thread, but I'll be cruising down the Rhine, Main, and Danube then.  I am trying to decide whether to take my D7000 or my D800.  I've given up on my Panasonic G3 MFT as a travel camera. To get the same FL coverage with the MFT as with my D7K gear, I'd need to carry more lenses with almost the same total weight and yet more (!) bulk vis a vis my DSLR, and for that I'd get worse resolution in shots of the scenery along the river as we cruise by on the ship.  
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    I do not mind the location in the States, but I think we need to find a process on how we can nail down the time. Any ideas, like a poll where we can choose from certain time slots?
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500