Should we start organizing real meetings of forum members/blog readers? Meeting Schedule is Posted.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Hopefully, if this seems to be moving toward a reality, the dates will be fixed.  And at this time it is focusing around the July 23-27,2013.  Location at present is tentative for Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.  The thinking is that potentially several photo venues will be provided, suggestions, for before the meeting and then a second time frame in Glacier national Park, near Kalispell, Montana, as well.  

I am guessing that within a time frame of a week or two, some final decisions will be offered up.
    Msmoto, mod
  • waterporkwaterpork Posts: 3Member

It's really a good idea to organize real meetings but I'll be back to China in July....what a pity...

Update:

Most likely, the "get together time" will be on July 26-28, 2013, somewhere in the Colorado Springs area. Various shooting venues and lodging will be posted soon.

But, anyone interested needs to PM me and let me know so we can have an idea if folks are planning to attend. This can be a fantastic family vacation with many historical and educational opportunities. Please, send me a PM about you intentions.
    Msmoto, mod
    It is now January 16 and I have only a few folks who want a meeting of the NRF members.....So, if anyone is interested who has not sent me a PM, please do so in the next couple weeks. There is no obligation, but we need to know how many would actually show up in Colorado. Thanks
    Msmoto, mod
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Msmoto, just to let you know, that I am willing to help on a Glacier field trip. However, I cannot do this until August 4. Maybe participants who are in colorado want to take a few days driving up, like stopping in Yellowstone.
    Thanks Yeti, if we get some response this might become a reality. So far, we have only about six folks who have shown an interest in getting together in Colorado.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You might want to change your words 'want to' for 'can afford to' Msmoto. If I could afford to, I would be there in a flash.
    Always learning.
  • El_PickerelEl_Pickerel Posts: 18Member
    Aww dang, you guys are actually doing this? I'm going to be on the Appalachian Trail in July! (And June, and May, and April, and March, and August, and September...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    edited January 2013
    Thanks Yeti, if we get some response this might become a reality. So far, we have only about six folks who have shown an interest in getting together in Colorado.
    I can "show interest" - but there ain't a snowballs chance in heck I'll be there - why can't you be reasonable and come to Europe? You're all rich - just look at the number of D4's - or at least much richer than me - and we have better food...

Post edited by Msmoto on
    edited January 2013
    What a wonderful idea....but in reviewing all this...
    Coming to Europe...too expensive to bring my motorhome. And in early August I have to be in Colorado for another meeting.
    All rich??? This is really "deeply in debt"
    Better food.....opinion only...IMO
    Well, the idea is still good and I can see at some point in the future a photo shoot get together possibly as early as 2014. Adam would love this, I would think.
    :-)

Oh, my guess is we will have a lot more folks as the dates/venues are published.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I was on board, but I think I'll stay north of the 49th this summer. Good luck!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    Colorado is certainly on my agenda, but unfortunately, not this July. Hope the trip goes forward for those who can make it.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 27Member
    Hi
    There may be a possibility of me joining this but there is no way I can commit. It all depends how work pans out and I am unlikely to be sure until much later.
    Just registering an interest here so not PM'd you msmoto as yet
    I think as we draw closer more information will be posted. I have my reservations in Colorado Springs and will be doing day trips from there.
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    can anyone recommend some decent and affordable accommodation in CS area?
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I think as we draw closer more information will be posted. I have my reservations in Colorado Springs and will be doing day trips from there.
    I like that much better then driving all over Colorado each day and staying at different places. I'll probably be staying with my daughter in Parker and meet up with everyone each day, it's just down the road.

Adam, I'll check with my son in-law today and see what's the most affordable and nice in that area.

edited February 2013
    Yes, I have another inquiry to my friend in the Springs about affordable accommodations. Most likely The Broadmoor at $565 per night will not be the place...But it is nice....

To get some more interest...from Pike's Peak...see if you can find the car..

"Pike's Peak 2008"
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    @tommie - cut the last 5 and You have my budget :) if I could afford to spend $500 I'll be in Mala Mala already :D
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Its nice to see these plans forming. Will anybody be driving up to Glacier afterward?
    @yeti - I'm still considering it, though for me it's gonna be a 2 way drive as it's cheaper for me to go there by car both ways and fly in to COS and fly out from COS
    Just curious, what are the plans when we are there? Will we be going on outings as a group or is everyone going to be on their own to find things to shoot? Will we be meeting as a group in the evening for supper and etc. Anyways, stuff like that I'm curious about.
    Most likely The Broadmoor at $565 per night will not be the place...But it is nice....
    Maybe they'll allow us to have 10 people per room? lol

:-B
    There will be a long list of shooting venues published at sometime. I think the plans are in process and when finalized will be published.

My plans are to be shooting before the weekend, after the weekend, and then I will most likely be in Kalispell from August 5-8, then to Boise for a few days and finally head for home.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    The plan in my book consists of: meet, talk, have some laughs, hang out as a group. eat, drink, party, and without question go shooting at some great locations. It is all good.

Not sure whether I will fly or drive, but we are going to need some cars for us all to get from point-a-to-b. From San Diego to Colorado Springs is about 1,113 mile which come to about 16 hours of driving. If someone form Souther California joins me then I will be more than happy to drive, otherwise I'm leaning on flying.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    The shooting venues are an hour or more in each direction except for the ones in Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs. From Manitou Springs one can walk to the Cog Railway which goes to the top of Pike's Peak. A note, Colorado Springs is about 6000 feet above sea level, Pike's Peak is 14,000 feet (approx. 1830 and 4300 meters). Driving to the top is easier on the old folks as altitude changes are more easily accomplished slowly.
    Msmoto, mod