Dini
  • ttsisgoodttsisgood Posts: 248Member
    Sleepy dog.

Guarding Food wears out the Best Guard Dog! Thanksgiving, 2013-11-28
    D7000/D600/D800 Various lenses
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    More of the fancy dress.

Dini
    Very interesting insight into your wife's culture you are showing us. Keep it coming.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member

Move and Shoot

D7100, 55-200 @55mm, f/22, 1/8 sec, ISO100
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2014
    I have suggested on another thread
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2306/photos-on-the-pad-be-nice-dont-vote-down#Item_54
    we can offer an opportunity for a critique. So, here is one which some may like and others…. maybe not. But, I am open to the idea:
    Please Critique this image.
    Henry Ford Museum 2014 III-3

Large size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/12124239236/sizes/o/

The goal of a critique is to have others share their ideas about the image, thus creating more ideas in our heads as to how to approach a particular subject.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    My critique: I like it because it shows the complexity of these machines of the steam age. But it is also confusing with a lot going on which cuts against the advice to always try to simply the elements in a photo for a more dramatic effect so I look for what could be removed. It could be simplified by cropping out the top one sixteenth or one eighth or one forth and showing only the wheels with driving rods - one would still know it is a steam engine. Maybe just crop the top enough to remove some of the horizontal pipe so the geometric elements are the two wheels, the driving rods and the one vertical rod on the left. Maybe move to the right to shoot it at a 90 degree angle so the geometric shapes would be cleaner and you could more easily crop to eliminate the top horizontal pipe I find distracting. I might like it better in color. Sepia may make it look more like an "old time photo" if that is the effect one is seeking. I do like the image; those old steam engine machines are very impressive to me; object built to do work but also built with an artists eye. The things mentioned above just pop into may head as possible ways to improve the image. I may like one of those images better but I wouldn't know without trying the above ideas and comparing the two images side by side.
    Following the lead of Msmoto I offer this image for critique: a bird caught in mid hop; technically difficult to achieve; you don't see many such photos; but what's the point if it isn't a beautiful image?

800_0179

@donaldejose

Thanks for your comments. And, I like your image…difficult to achieve unless one is hooting high FPS. I think I might have desaturated the snow so it appears white.
    Msmoto, mod
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Ice walking by the Goseokjeong Pavillion in Cheorwon, Gangwon-Do.

Frozen Over Hantangang River
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    I don't think that PAD is the appropriate place to leave paragraph long critiques for peoples photos. If thats the case I don't see why you can't just make a new thread, it will only clutter this place up. My .02

ZF.2 100mm f2 @ f2.5 • 1/250 • ISO 320
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    You sure like that waterfall. Where is it? Probably a one hour drive from my residence.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited January 2014
    WindTurbine
    An experimental floating wind turbine off the coast of Goto Fukue island, 3 hours west of Nagasaki.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited January 2014
    Good ideas…. But as one can see, the PAD could become simply a lot of words, not so many images. So, deferring to the Godfather, NikoDoby, I quote:

"We've had this debate before. We created the Flickr group as a result. The Photo-A-Day was suppose to be for photos only with no discussions but we never really enforced it because we wanted to "wait and see".

The problem was that in one month the photoaday had something like 15 pages but very few actually photos per page. We might have to start enforcing the photos only but for now it stays as is.

You can post discussions/critiques all you want on flickr for each of your photos and only your photo is displayed here. Besides people posting to the photoaday don't want a critique. They just want to show off their photos."

So, my suggestion is that for folks who want feedback, post a link to Flickr and ask for feedback. This will most likely work best to avoid clutter and we will try to keep PAD for images only.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Mine for today. There's a funky reflection in the upper left corner that I need to deal with, probably with a recrop. I loved the reflection of the sky in the moisture to the right.
    _DSC4976
    D800 | 17-35 | 35mm | f/7.1 | 24.6s | ISO 100
    10-stop filter used
    edited January 2014
    Maybe have two threads: PAD and CAD (Critique a Day). But I don't think it will work. Too many people here are too afraid of any critique of their work to get many postings on a CAD thread. Critique threads have been started before without much participation. A CAD thread would not have much business because people would be afraid to expose their work to criticism. Personally, I think that is unfortunate because there are lots of talented people here and we could learn a lot from discussions of specific photos. The more insecure NR members are holding the group back and I think that is rather strange because lots of people sure are willing to express opinions in all the other threads of more technical issues which are posted. Sometimes, heated discussions occur. I am puzzled as to why a CAD thread isn't successful. Maybe someday . . . .
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    Good ideas…. But as one can see, the PAD could become simply a lot of words, not so many images. So, deferring to the Godfather, NikoDoby, I quote:

"We've had this debate before. We created the Flickr group as a result. The Photo-A-Day was suppose to be for photos only with no discussions but we never really enforced it because we wanted to "wait and see".

The problem was that in one month the photoaday had something like 15 pages but very few actually photos per page. We might have to start enforcing the photos only but for now it stays as is.

You can post discussions/critiques all you want on flickr for each of your photos and only your photo is displayed here. Besides people posting to the photoaday don't want a critique. They just want to show off their photos."

So, my suggestion is that for folks who want feedback, post a link to Flickr and ask for feedback. This will most likely work best to avoid clutter and we will try to keep PAD for images only.
    Why not have a critique thread?

• michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    edited January 2014
    Maybe have two threads: PAD and CAD (Critique a Day).
    I actually like this idea. The shooter posts to whichever thread they prefer. PAD stays the way it is and remains uncluttered and CAD let's you roll the pic with the discussion. And if it doesn't work, we haven't marred PAD. Should you be allowed to post the same pic to both?

Oh, this is PAD, so here is mine and yeah, let it rip. He does look like he's about to cry, so be gentle.

DSC_4092

D7100; 1600 ISO @ f/7.1 @ 1/320 @ 330 mm on a DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6
    Post edited by michael66 on
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    The weather hasn't been playing ball this trip in the lakes, but I have done more photography than walking which is great for photography but bad for my waistline.

Despite there being platy of rain about, the light has been nice. this is Derwentwater at Keswick

Nikon D800E Nikkor 24 - 70 - I actually did preliminary adjustments in capture NX2 rather than LR5 and like the results. The only trouble it moves the image to CS6 as a .tif and y hard drive is full as it is!

Late-afternoon-light-on-Derwentwater
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    @Msmoto, I love the shot, but I am a sucker for mechanical beasts. That doesn't change the fact that it is a great composition. I snuck a peek at the EXIF. Long exposure to boost the DOF? The effort shows. Only thing missing is the steam. I agree with Pitchblack regarding the silver metal and reflection on the floor. However, sans steam, I think there is too much 'glare' on the black in his version.
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    This is another photo from the Gasparilla celebration in Tampa this past weekend..........

DSC_0025
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    Gulf Breeze Zoo, Florida.

Larger
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  •  DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
    Still on the self portraits. It's really become a great challenge each day to try out new lightings, etc. I challenged this one at f2.8 and managed to nail the focus on the front eye.

Fascination
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 909Member
    I have suggested on another thread
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2306/photos-on-the-pad-be-nice-dont-vote-down#Item_54
    we can offer an opportunity for a critique. So, here is one which some may like and others…. maybe not. But, I am open to the idea:
    Please Critique this image.
    Large size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/12124239236/sizes/o/

The goal of a critique is to have others share their ideas about the image, thus creating more ideas in our heads as to how to approach a particular subject.
    I love it. I think it would be a very good print within it's pixel range for doing on the metal media. Makes me wish I had saved all my B&W negatives.

• CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    America Tree Sparrow
    American Tree Sparrow
This discussion has been closed.