INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE FIRST.

Comments

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Hello all.  I'm a critical care/trauma ICU clinical pharmacist in the West Palm Beach area in Florida.  My love of photography started way back in the Kodak instamatic days with flashcubes.  I was never able to afford anything more until I finished college and purchased my first totally manual SLR. Cut my teeth with a Ricoh, a couple of Cannons, and then stepped over to Nikon.  The artist and creativity in me was nurtured by a musician mother and a carpenter/Korean war vet father.  With that I learned how to play drums, piano, refinish furniture, hang crown moulding, install wood/tile flooring, do minor plumbing, and many other things.   I love landscape, architecture, a bit of nature, and portrait photography.  Even though it's a hobby I'm quite passionate about it and trying to get a real portrait gig here and there.  With 4 individual portrait sessions under my belt I have a couple of tentative engagement shoots in the works.  I really enjoy making people happy with the result. 
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• vincentjamesvvincentjamesv Posts: 3Member
    Hello! 

My name is Vincent, I am a 20 year old student and I am from Northern California. I've been going on NR for a couple years now but just decided to join the forum today. I've been shooting for about 3 years now, starting with a D60 that didn't work. Given to me by a friend for really cheap, I paid for the D60 to get repaired and have taught myself how to use it since. I guess I can consider myself semi-pro/part-time whatever you want to call it: I work mostly with local musicians and a couple clothing brands in the area, have been lucky enough to have been published a couple times, and have a couple gallery shows planned for 2013!

I'm glad to be joining my first forum and will be looking forward to meeting some interesting people!
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    SO I guess time for me once again... and I also miss my 3k+ comments :)... anyway... I'm Adam and I haven't been drinking... wait, that's not this forum... So I'm Adam and I'm from Poland. Originally, I'm from Silesia - south part of my country - industrial area, but since 1998 I'm living in Warsaw - capital, where I got hitched :) I've always liked to take snaps, though doing this seriously since 2000 when I got my first DSLR - Minolta. Two years later I got my first Nikon and since that time I stick to it. I like to travel, especially Asia, though I've been in North America, South America, Africa and in many places in Europe and Asia. My favourite country so far is Nepal, where I could go anytime. 
    As for work... well, I'm self employed and professionally I develop web application (mostly to make me life easier as an accountant - transferring data from one system to another) and do book keeping. Occasionally I do some photo stuff, but unfortunately Poland is neither Wester Europe nor North America, and there's no market for fine art... and only one aspect of photography where You can actually get some money is wedding photography.... which is not my favourite one. I love travel photography, landscapes and wildlife. 
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited December 2012
    Season's Greeting to everyone here that I do, and do not know, and those who are yet to arrive.

I started taking pictures with a Brownie box camera like many in my generation. But it was really at the age of 13 /14 that the technology bug hit. This was when the Russian's launched Sputnik in 1957. The shortwave receiver used to listen to Sputnik transmissions launched me into ham radio. Next I was grinding glass for a large telescope, and then looking for a camera body to mount on it. This led to setting up a black and white film dark room. It was more fun to show my friends what I saw than describing it.

Living in New England in the 1970s awakened my desire to take pictures again. Having used the Mamiya Sekor DTL 500/1000/2000 series which were outstanding cameras, and Nikon helped me decide that Nikon was the obvious choice for a young guy raising a family that liked playing with hardware as much as taking pictures. The Mamiya 35mm film lenses were awesome, but not lens offerings which were minimal. My decision spared me from the financial collapse which ended with Mamiya departing the 35mm market for medium format cameras in the middle 1980s.

I have my share of sunsets and shots of the moon surfacing over the horizon, but also like breaking the rules and pushing the equipment past its specifications to see for myself what is possible, and not. I once bought a store just to try every piece of new equipment that came out faster. I can spent over an hour shooting wildlife with the sun at their backs, and then spend half a day making a location plan and setting up for the perfect time and background to take 4 - 6 minutes of pictures and feel the time was well spent.

The digital dark room is a total joy to me; it beats the heck out of dodging a picture in a dark room. I can spend hours doing it without realizing how quickly time evaporates. I love to make my elderly lady friends look like they just spent a few weeks at spa. But love to accentuate the faces we have earned living life. Photography has so many facets and is a continuous learning experience. I am as happy shooting a manual lens on a camera lens with no meter as I am shooting an af-s lens on a good camera with all the bells and whistles.

Post edited by TriShooter on
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    edited December 2012
    Well, since we all start from scratch, I take the chance and quickly say "hi" here. Just as Peter and bjrichus I am originally from Europe, but live in the US now, precisely on the Southcoast of Massachusetts.

Photography started with a Minolta SR-T-101 back in the days, later I had a XD-7. Maybe this winter I find some time to scan some shots from the Nuerburgring in the late 70's for Tommie :).

The Nikon adventure started with a D-80, today I am shooting FF. So far the coast and its life has been the focus, I would like to move more into portraits in the moment. Right now I am playing a lot with different light setups and high speed sync. My favorite lens is the 24-70 f2.8. Photography is a hobby for me.
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    and I also miss my 3k+ comments 
    +1. Could we just have an option to type in how many we've posted and use the honor system?

I'm Jon Paul and I love this forum and how civilized the discussion stays. I wish I could spend more time here than I do. I'm still getting over the brain injury caused when I was reading the forum, contemplating a D600 and my wife hit me in the head with a tripod. Whenever I read The Good Old Forum it was causing me to have PTSD flashbacks, so I'm glad the format has changed. Now I feel like I'm reading a Canon forum, so no more psychological problems. ;-)

I've got three boys: 0, 4, and 7. They keep me occupied pretty much round the clock. I'm originally from Utah but now I call Idaho home. I'm a professor of physics at a university on a trimester schedule, so you'll see me around here mainly in December, April, and August. 

I love photography and sometimes pretend to be a videographer, too. I've been serious about photography for 6 years or so (coincided with the birth of my first son, actually), but I grew up with a family that has always loved photography. My dad gave me an OM-2 about 15 years ago. I chose Nikon because the rest of my family does; free lens rental, you know? Now I use a D7000 for stills and a Sony NEX-5N for video. I still have the OM-2 and am hoping that new digital 35mm back that Nikon patented gets made and is compatible with it! I really love that camera but can't be bothered to deal with film anymore.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    Well my second time doing this here.. So here we go.

Was a lurker here for around a year or so then finally I finally decided to join in with all the fun here.  I had originally joined thinking there was a larger group of people that were like me and enjoyed tearing into and fixing lenses but so far haven't found much of a following of that sort of the hobby here.

I started with photography with an Agfa Memo 35ee in grade school that I picked it up at a camera show.  Around 5 years or so after that I a few Vivitar M42 mount SLRs. A couple years after that I picked up a Nikkormat FTN with a 50mm f/2 Nikkor and the following years camera show I picked up a 35mm f/2 and a Soligor zoom and later a series 1 Vivitar zoom.  Shot that through high school and after that stopped shooting anything for a while.

Around 3 years later picked up a cheap HP point and shoot Which I shot for a while.  I then picked up a Canon (I know) S50 which I shot for a while till last year when I finally picked up a Fujifilm S2 Pro to hold me over till I picked up a D7000.  The S2 Pro was at least a DSLR but was really slow and had limited lens support and was really just a stop gap.   After I got the D7000 I started collecting a lot of random Nikon glass some of which I was hand-me-downed from my dad.  He went Canon because at the time it was more compelling to him ( I know, I know again).  Over the last year or two I have been collecting and repairing Nikkor AF and MF lenses.  I continued shooting with the D7000 till I started feeling the limitations of the DX with the awesome FX glass I had been collecting.  Earlier this year I decided to pull the trigger on the D800 since it was an awesome body with crazy resolution.  I shoot mainly just for fun and now slowly starting to get into some photography for the company I work for.

I'd go on but I think I have gone on to much already.  If you take a look through the older forums there is a thread on good deals which is a decent listing of the good deals and broken lenses that I unbroke as part of this great hobby called photography.

Excited to see the new forum is up and can't wait to see what fun and information and people it brings out as well.
  • martinqmartinq Posts: 2Member
    Hi all, another guy who has been lurking and reading the group for a long time, but now inclined to contribute as well when it concerns the limited areas which I feel competent :)

More usually found in Nikonians.

Got back into photography a few years ago, quickly progressed through D60, D300s and now a D800E.

Just love walking about and having that camera in my hand :)
    Martin
    Perth, Western Australia
  • PeterSPeterS Posts: 1Member
    Greetings fellow Nikonians. I am PeterS from Orlando Florida I've been lurking for a few years and finally getting around to signing up. I recently bought a D800, 24-70 2.8, and 70-200 2.8. Live in central Florida and spend my days working for a 7 foot tall rat who has a talking dog as a pet. When I'm not working or reading NR I shoot as much as possible but it's never enough. Learning a lot on the forum so thanks to all of you for posting photos along with details about the shot.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Greetings.  I am one of them over 60 photographers that got his camera at the age of 10, got a Yashica EM 2-1/4x2-1/4 at 14 and my first SLR (Yashica) as a senior in high school.  Sold it in college and bought my first Nikon when I was a Junior.  My Dad had a great eye for composition and we use to review his slides each week and that is how I learned about composition.

Have owned a lot of Nikon cameras but switched to digital only 7 years ago when I got the D200 which was suppose to last me 4 years and after 15 months bought my D300.  Great improvement.

Been reading NR for years and finally signed up.  Have the money and am ready to order the D400 when it is introduced.  Not sure I am ready for a D300+D7000 style body, it all depends.  Don't like the feel of the new D600, ergonomically the right grip needs some improvement.

I always use Nikon glass and I bought my first non-Nikon lens 3 years ago, a Tamron 200-500mm, because Nikon has nothing in that category.  I tend to sell my lens every 6 to 7 years until I switched to digital.

Won my first photo contest as a college freshman.  Been a member of a few photo clubs and held the highest ranking in one of them.  Also have taught basic photography and have helped people buy over 30 cameras and lots of lens.

Have thousand of slides that need to be converted to digital.  I shoot a fair amount of pictures as a retiree but could always shoot more.  Looking forward to participating on this blog.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • JuanValdezJuanValdez Posts: 4Member

Hello, all. I've read the NR blog for a couple of years. Never explored the rest of the site and didn't even know there was a forum. Well here I am now.

I kind of backed into photography. I grew up in the rural southeastern US and was an avid hunter up into my mid twenties. I was always fascinated with anything to do with nature. Then moved away to school and afterwards took a job in Houston for a few years. In 1990 moved to the Pacific NW and decided to get back into hunting but with a camera.

At this point I live in Alaska and am a serious amateur. I have sold a few prints and digital images of wildlife and dog sports. I'm nearing retirement years and plan on trying to market my work a bit more when I have the time to do so.

Up until this year I was shooting DX. Went through D70, D40, D200, and still have D300 and D7000. Also now have a D800E. For my purposes shooting wildlife and birds in flight the D300 has been the best of the lot. Wish they would just put the D7000 chip in a D300 body and get on with it.

• HotDuckZHotDuckZ Posts: 1Member
    I AM Handsome photographer. :P
  • DirekDirek Posts: 1Member
    Happy Holidays to everyone!

A longtime lurker here and since its a new forum, I guess it's appropriate to out from hiding.
    I'm Direk and working here in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
    A Nikon user and its been 2 years and still wondering how to clean the oil spots in my sensor!
    Best regards.
  • NasattackNasattack Posts: 1Member
    Hi,
    Long time Nikon user from the UK and NPS member.
    Love a good rumour.
  • InTheMistInTheMist Posts: 7Member
    Contrasting Peter and some of the other folks here I'm from the US and have lived ten years in Europe - currently in Switzerland. I've been an avid shooter for only a few years, but now I participate in some form every day, shooting, studying, learning and post processing.

The only holes in my skill set are printing (I use a lab) and Photoshop skills (I only use Lightroom).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    edited February 2013
    Has left...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • MarktimMarktim Posts: 3Member
    Hello there!
    Very glad to meet nikon community forum again.
    After clinical death of dpreview.com for serious pro and amateurs, nikonrumours lasts only good place with worldwide coverage.
    I consider myself as "serious amateur" with color tech and photoprinting background.
    Glad to meet this forum!

Mark
    http://photo.marktim.ru

• tcfake613tcfake613 Posts: 3Member

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking this forum for about 6 months.  It's about time I decide to join... new forum format, new year coming and for whatever other reason I can think of.  Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information I've soaked in trying to decide on a new camera.

I've been in to photography since I was 5... really.  First camera.   Had  couple of film SLRs in the 70's/80's but somehow seemed to lose track of the hobby several years ago... before the age of DSLR.  Actually took a semester of photography in college and really had a good jump on the basics of composition, lighting, shutter speed, aperture, ISO.... etc.  Things are a bit different now, with the advances in post processing and computer software... but the foundations of good shooting still remain.

Sooooo after all the soul searching, researching... and just plain searching, I find myself with a new D600 which for the past week I have been loving.  Thanks for the deal B&H and thank the Lord for making me wait till the price drop... (Hogan's December 15th prediction had a lot to do with that).  Got the B&H kit with the 70-300 added.  Will probably add a macro next and a flash.

Love shooting everything... from people to landscapes to sports.  Really looking forward to learning more about DSLR photography and all the nuances of the D600 (no oil yet after a couple hundred shots).  I've already read the manual once and I'm looking forward to picking up a more comprehensive book in the near future.  It appears some will be hitting the market soon.

Any suggestions on the D600 would be welcome.

Thanks and have a great new year!

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Welcome to the forum tcfake613
  • hhn360hhn360 Posts: 1Member
    Hi,

I've been a hobbyist photograher and loyal Nikon user since 1992. The Nikons I've owned in chronological order: N6006, F5, D1X, D100, D3s, D4. There was about a 5-yr gap when I lost inspiration and didn't pick up a real camera. Currently, I shoot with 2 D4's and a D3s with my favorite Nikon lenses being the 70-200mm f2.8 VR2, 85mm f1.4 G, and 35mm f1.4 G. For the past 2 years I've been doing fashion & beauty photography. Creative lighting is an essential part of my photography so all my work is done with some added light: reflectors (especially outdoors in sunlight), speedlights, and studio strobes.

I've been reading and enjoying the Nikon Rumors site for the past year or so.

Cheers,
    Hien

My work can be seen here:
    https://www.facebook.com/AtelierHPhotography
  • NikonxelaNikonxela Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2012
    Hello from the Greater Toronto Area in Canada. Really enjoy Nikon Rumors and learn a few things either from serious posts or from random hilarious posts.  I'm a semi-pro photographer and work as an IT Manager full time. My very first camera back in 1992 was a Minolta 7000 and dabbled with it for a couple of years and gave up as I really didn't know how to use it.  I got into digital photography a couple of years ago and backed it up by going to night photography courses at a local college and working towards a pro photography certificate. From a D80+D7000, I moved up to a D700+D3s (which I just recently got!). My gear also consists of the Nikkor Trinity f2.8 lenses + a 105mm f2.8, I also have 2 SB-700's and 1 SB-910. Launched a photography business late last year and officially shot 3 weddings and a number of family portraits last year.  Booked a few weddings next year which I'm very excited about.

My business website is http://www.xelaphotography.com
    and you can see some of my work there.

Cheers!

Post edited by Nikonxela on
  • tfleecetfleece Posts: 3Member
    Hey fellow shooters

I live up in Canada ..... and might cause a bit of bad vibe by announcing that I am a Canon shooter

The good news is I am also a Nikon shooter @ work.  I am a photojournalist @ the local newspaper and we recently just upgrade our badly outdated Nikon gear to the latest gear.  For years Nikon has kicked Canon around on the pro level however Canon has brought its game back with the 1Dx.  I have been using a pair of D4's for the past few weeks and have been extremely impressed
    Look forward to pushing this new gear to the limits in the months to come.

t r o y
    D4, D4, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 VRII 2.8, 85 1.4, 300 2.8, 3 SB-910, 1.4 tele
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Troy - feeel the force, come to the dark side - there is sooo much power here..... >:)

Welcome to you all!
    Always learning.
  • MYatzMYatz Posts: 8Member
    I'm Mitchell. I'm a wannabe nature (landscape, wildlife) shooter. Although I live in San Francisco, my favorite outdoor location is the Southwest (southern Utah, northern Arizona).

Since my daughter just stole my trusty D7000, I forced myself to take advantage of the end of 2012 D600 sales. Newest favorite lens: the 14-24mm f/2.8 aka "The Beast"
    D800e, etc
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Welcome, everyone. 

MYatz, I thought you were joking about your daughter stealing your tripod. I've never been audacious enough to just steal borrow a body from my dad, but I do have one lens from him on "long term loan." Give it some time and it might go both ways, though. We have swapped lenses and even cameras before. Enjoy your D600!
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.