INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE FIRST.

Comments

• polaramichaelpolaramichael Posts: 1Member
    Hey all

Been using the Nikon Rumors site for so long time as a great source of info that I thought it was time to contribute a bit.

Working pro for 35 years, partner in a great studio in PDX with 3 other very talented commercial shooters. Have shot everything from forklifts to fashion but now specialize in food. Also started doing video in the last couple of years. Am a bit of a geek but still think a photographer's credibility stands on the work they produce. In that vein our website is www.polarastudio.com.

Check it out....look forward to our discussions, hoping I can bring somewhat of a fresh perspective to things here.

Cheers

M
  • SharpShooterSharpShooter Posts: 1Member

My name is Nick. I am an avid enthusiast with pro aspirations… like most people who shoot for a hobby, I spend a lot of time learning from the likes of Nikon rumors, Photography bay, Cambridge in Color, Jared Polin, Dom Bower That Nikon Guy, David Dugdale and the myriad of others who are willing to share their expertise on the net from whom I have learned so much <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I’ve been stalking this site ( Nikon Rumors ) since august 2010 I primarily used film, dabbling in the digital realm with cheaper point and shoots: patiently  waiting for the DSLRs to become more affordable and generally to get to a point where I felt the medium was at par with film.

I always appreciated the comments at the end of rumor posts and have learned a lot from this site.. keep up the food work.

• fuzzymucusfuzzymucus Posts: 4Member
    Hi, I'm fuzzymucus.

I live in Slovakia and I'm new to these here forums.

I use a Nikon D40 and have for a very long time.

I like pie.
  • SimsHsiaSimsHsia Posts: 1Member
    Hello all!

Long time visitor, first time poster. I started off with a secondhand D90 about a year and a half ago and upgraded to a D600 shortly after it was first announced. I'm primarily a prime lens user, but I do have a few zoom lenses... mostly from my D90 (the kit lens and a 10-24mm). The lens commonly found at the end of my camera is the 24mm 1.4 for general everyday photography closely followed by the 85mm 1.4 for portrait shots. Looking forward to participating more around here more often!
  • LouieCLouieC Posts: 5Member
    Hello Everyone!

I started off with a D60 a while back and eventually found my way to the D700 this fall. I'm here to learn more about my camera and hopefully answer D700 questions from people who may be wondering about getting one.

Canadian, Latino, Semi-Pro Photog and Family Man.

Cheers!
    D700 | 50 1.8 | 24-85 VR | SB-700
  • StanStan Posts: 2Member
    Hello, Started with a Minolta 101(film). Eventually to an Olympus OM 2. Then to a Kodak 290, digital. Bought a Nikon D70, then a D80. I bought a D7000 in January of this year before a trip to Australia in March. What a camera. I just bought a D600 in November. I am an amateur photographer who likes to take travel and landscape photos.

Both of the current cameras, D7000 and D600 take excellent photos.
  • TheoKondakTheoKondak Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2012
    Greetings!I am a semipro photographer from Greece, shooting nightclub photography and weddings for living, and shooting landscape, abstract, portraits etc for my passion.Also love hiking!In addition , i am a student on my local University , studying Industrial Informatics (Embed System).

I found out how much i love photography about 5 years ago, when i went to Samothrake, an island here in Greece, which looks and feels like heaven,and i was unable to capture that beauty because i was lacking camera equipment.Straight after that, i spend all my savings and bought an olympus E-520, and later switched to Nikon D7000.

Also, i've got a passion for music and i love history, philosophy and more!

Feel free to check my 500px site http://500px.com/TheoKondak
    Post edited by TheoKondak on
    D7000 Tokina 10-17Fisheye , Nikkor 18-70, Nikkor 50mm f1.4, Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro.

My portfolio: http://500px.com/TheoKondak
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    edited December 2012
    Gosh, when the heck did I join? I think it was May 2010.

I started my photography education many years ago with a Nikon FM/FE, and a set of manual-focus, Ais primes. I also used to own a Mamiya RB67 system, and trained with Toyo view cameras back in college. Since then, I've collected a few lenses, a couple of FX bodies, and a Nikon F6. I live in La-La land (born and raised), and by day, I'm an ENG/EFP camera operator for a broadcast newsmagazine (and, I also have a few network credits as a TV lighting director). Since joining NR, I've managed a handful of published commercial still work, including: Rossano Ferretti Beverly Hills, Elle Girl magazine, Life & Style magazine, and Emergen-C® health supplements.

My thanks to NR and its members for all the helpful advice (not to mention, the often spot-on rumor reporting) I've received here, which has contributed greatly toward my re-entry into the still photography world!
    Post edited by studio460 on
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member

Hi all,

I started with a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye in the 1950's and started selling photos to a weekly paper of 4H events when I was a kid using my Argus C3 when I was still a pre-teen.

My desire to work for newspapers was still strong and the girls were pretty on an underground newspaper at the college I was attending, so that got me expelled, and I lost my draft deferment (the US was involved in Vietnam at the time) and I was asked to participate in the Vietnam War, first as an infantryman, then as a photographer for the Stars and Stripes, the joint services news services newspaper, as a combat photographer. The amount of shooting, processing, and printing, and the conditions under which it was done was rather extreme using mostly Nikon F cameras, six of them. 
    After the Vietnam War ended for me, I did attend school again, and worked for a wire service and newspapers as a reporter photographer through undergraduate and graduate school, and then some more work in an advertising agency until I returned to the US Army as an infantry officer.

Though the years I worked for the AP, several military magazines and newspapers and publications - after re-entry, usually as 'editor-in-chief', and after Army retirement and a year of teaching at Auburn University, worked for the US Air Force at the Air University as a Professor and Editor of their professional journal, and after Civil Service retirement, a local Montana college in Journalism, photography and Photoshop. 
    Where ever I've been assigned, I've taught English, languages, journalism, and photography. Currently I teach Adobe Systems software, although I am 'mostly retired'. 
    I've used Koni-Omega, 5"x7" 'Camera in a Bunny' cameras for children's photography, TLR Rollies, a Rollie workalike Yasica D I bought for $12 in Vietnam, Nikon F, F2, F3, and F4, and an FE2. I've been robbed of camera equipment twice, but I still have lenses that are older than a number of people reading this that work very well.

Like Studio460, I have some TV experience and produced a PBS (educational 'how to paint' and done some Outdoors Channel footage, and freelance occasionally, but really I'm not chasing anything.

Unlike some fora, Nikon Rumors does have a cooperative tone, without a negative vibe. It makes it what it is. 

My best,

Mike

• studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    Impressive resume, Mike! We knew a little about your combat photography experience, but I was unaware of your rather extensive newspaper/wireservice and educational experience thereafter. I agree that NR is one of the best-moderated, congenially spirited photo sites on the Internet. I've learned so much here in such a short time, and that's what a good forum often does--spread knowledge in a friendly, supportive environment. Again, my thanks to Peter and all of NR's moderators, and of course, its members, for their collective contribution to this valued site!
  • HavocHavoc Posts: 17Member

Hello everyone,

I'm a building engineer working in DC, living life in Maryland. Currently I ride my Harley when ever I have free time, but the thought of getting back into photography has alway been with me. When on the road, there have been so many times I see "The Shot" and all I have is a silly point and click and it never captures that shot......It was like that itch you can't scratch.

Back in high school, my ol man had a darkroom and that's where I started to learn photography. We did color and BW but BW has always been my favorite. When I was a little older, I picked up my first Nikon, a n2020. But after leaving the nest, I didn't have a darkroom to work from....so photography took a back seat.

Until a couple days ago, I became the proud owner of a D800 and a 70-300mm lens. I've been reading this site from time to time this last year and it has become a great resource for information and advice. Looking forward to the new year!

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited December 2012
    New year, new forum, new name, same guy.

I used the name "Wataru" last year when I first registered on the forum. Going forward, with your permission, I will use the name Symphotic, which is also the name of my company.

I use photography in my day to day business, but my company sells video and still imaging instrumentation. We make our own radiation tolerant cameras, and we sell a variety of other cameras, with our biggest business being commercial and scientific underwater videography. We also sell components for photo acoustic tomography and other laser based 3d imaging systems.

I've been a Nikon user since about 1990, when I traded my Contax system for an F2. Prior to that I did most of my recreational photography with a Leica M4P and a Minolta CLE rangefinder, but I sold my Leica system 10 years ago to help finance my new business.

I use a D800 and a V1 for my work, which consists of still and videos used to produce technical and academic presentations and training materials, and I am spending more time trying my hand at creative photography, for which I use my D800 and my iPhone. I have formal schooling in photography, but my education is in science, engineering, and foreign languages.

-Jack, the photographer formerly known as Wataru.
    O
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • grholmegrholme Posts: 2Member
    edited December 2012
    Hi Gang.
    I see there are a couple of fellows here of the same vintage I am. Like them I also started with a Brownie Box Camera. My first SLR was a Practika then on to a Nikon F2S. I did portraits and Modelling Photography back then but I had a young family coming along so I took a better paying job in the computing field. My best friend was an artist and he and I use to go out a lot into the landscape, he sketching, me photographing. Those were some of the happiest days of my life (boy I miss him). I got out of photography for many years and just took it back up recently. I have a Nikon D300 and D800E (well I have a Fuji X-Pro 1 for street shooting but don't tell anybody :-) ). Although I have the Nikon Trinity plus a couple of other lenses my favourite lens so far is my Nikkor 135/F2 DC.
    I got back into photography in 2009 because my career as a computer systems engineer is coming to an end and I wanted to prepare for "another life". A fellow I knew as VP at a company ,, retired at 65, took up photography and the last I saw him he was 85 and wandering around the world photographing for National Geographic. There is my role model!
    I rank myself currently as an advanced beginner but I hope to get back up to where I was over 35 years ago. (at my age I can still dream can't I ?). I like architecture, landscape, portraits. I'm not sure how far I'll get but, to me, it is the journey that counts more than reaching the destination.
    I have followed NR for over a year and decided to join in. I did put a comment in the Portrait Professional Thread and I thought it was only fair to introduce myself if I am going to hop in with comments.
    I live in Ontario Canada in a small town near Guelph.
    Thanks
    Glenn
    Post edited by grholme on
  • daedae Posts: 2Member
    Hi, I've been lurking around this site for a couple of years. now. I guess it's about time I made an appearance.
    Looking forward to some great discussions.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Impressive resume, Mike! We knew a little about your combat photography experience, but I was unaware of your rather extensive newspaper/wireservice and educational experience thereafter. I agree that NR is one of the best-moderated, congenially spirited photo sites on the Internet. I've learned so much here in such a short time, and that's what a good forum often does--spread knowledge in a friendly, supportive environment. Again, my thanks to Peter and all of NR's moderators, and of course, its members, for their collective contribution to this valued site!
    Hi Studio,

Not so impressive nor extensive as and long sometimes tedious. Although, now it seems I can't put a sentence together.

Keep in mind, as a uniform officer, the role as 'editor' was quite different, more of an administrator. The guys and gals working for me were just terrific at their jobs and those doing those roles today still are.

NRF is really apart from other fora in that there isn't much of negativism here. Instead you can find some real positive feedback on hardware, technique, software, and how to tips. That uniqueness is hard to come by and a hardy thanks goes to mods for their work at keeping it the way it is.

My best to all,

Mike
  • OzinaterOzinater Posts: 1Member

Hi Folks,

I am a Student living in Toronto, Canada. In August of this year I bought my first DSLR, a D5100. Prior to that I owned a Fuji S1500 P&S that I learned the ropes on. I love my D5100 to pieces and I've been looking forward to being an SLR owner for years. The only lens that I currently own is the 18-55 VR Kit Lens, so I need to start some expanding in the New Year, when my wallet permits me to do so! I've been interested in Photography for about 5 years, my favourite subjects being airplanes, landscapes/skylines, architecture, wildlife/animals, action and the sun. I have been lurking and reading the forums here for several months and just decided to join, since I would like to begin to purchase some more lenses in 2013.

Cheers

Orion

• sohonycsohonyc Posts: 11Member
    Hello everyone,

this is Stefano from Italy, I can say I loved photography all my life. Just jumped into digital SLRs after owning a Nikon F3hp for more than 20 years. I like ambient light and nature.
      I'm also a Mac addict and an Aperture fun. Makes me think to the old days of proof prints and film rolls.

Happy with DX but waiting to upgrade to FX as soon as I can afford the prices.
  • JosephJoseph Posts: 1Member
    Hello... love the nice new forum. I will be lurking here and posting replies once in a while. Have a great New Year to all!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator

NRF is really apart from other fora in that there isn't much of negativism here. Instead you can find some real positive feedback on hardware, technique, software, and how to tips. That uniqueness is hard to come by and a hardy thanks goes to mods for their work at keeping it the way it is.

Thanks, Mike, I believe you said it all....and to those of the older generation, I am one of the gals still around....
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited December 2012
    +1 even that I'm from the younger gen :D
    Post edited by adamz on
  • SauronSauron Posts: 13Member

Hi, I'm new as a member here at NR even if I have read the forum and rumor-news quite a while now.

I have a history of 35 mm Canon cameras back in the 80-90'-ties, but switched to Nikon when I got my D80 back in 2007. I live in Sweden, so my native language is not English... I hope you can overlook the flaws in my writing (please correct me when I'm wrong though).

I'm mainly here for updating myself regarding the D300-successor (if it will ever come) - but I'm soon giving up on it, since I'm planning a safari tour next summer and need to upgrade my gear. (I'm a dx-fanboy so please don't try to convince me into the FX-swamps ;-).)

I mostly shoot soccer games outdoors, portraits and now and then some wildlife (amature level).

I must say that I like the friendly atmosphere here at the forum, unlike other sites I have come across!

/Roger

Proud owner of a D80!
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    edited December 2012

Been lurking here for a couple of years now so figured I would sign up.

I started out with my Dad’s 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Speed Graphic in High School shooting for the student newspaper.  My Dad and I built a darkroom in the basement and processed everything ourself.

I shot medium format using 645 Mamiya gear for the next 35 years and occasionally dabbled in 35 mm with Canon and Nikon entry level cameras. 

My Dad made the transition to digital with the Nikon D70 and I hung on to film until there wasn’t any film left that I wanted to shoot any more.

Purchased a Nikon D3100 while waiting for the D7000 to ship to get my feet wet with digital technology.  Use Aperture and try to use Photoshop CS6 (talk about byzantine).

Figured that buying the best glass I could and tossing the bodies when the technology changed would be a good plan.  Have the Nikon Trinity (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 all F/2.8) along with the Nikon 400mm F/2.8 and 600mm F/4 along with the DX 10.5mm F/2.8.  

Waiting for the Nikon to deliver the 800mm F/5.6 as I am on the list...  Sold the D3100 and purchased the D4 and D800E.  Hooked my Dad into buying a D800E and got my son started with the D7000.

My Dad, son and myself take a yearly photo trek during my Son’s spring break.  Last year we spent a week in New Mexico shooting at the VLA, Bosque, White Sands, Lava Fields along with ghost towns. Looking for someplace to go this year (open for suggestions).

Shoot sports, catalog covers, wildlife (where you can never have a big enough lens), landscapes, people, architecture, cars and anything that gets my interest. 

Denver Shooter

Post edited by DenverShooter on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    What a wonderful group of folks we are finding on NRF....I hope some will be in Colorado in July to meet up with other NRF members
    Msmoto, mod
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Dates and location for July NRF face to face?

Denver Shooter
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator