D810, All Discussions, Questions

Comments

• SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    Are you trying to be political incorrect, MsMoto? :D Who tells you, Sanook is a lady? ;)
    English isnt my first language and I cannot be sure what you are talking about. Please explain?
    I was just joking, because @Msmoto took it for granted you're female (I think so, too). These days gay couples can also marry in various countries and they're also talking of their husbands - logically both. Sanook appears to be mostly a name for ladies but can also be family name? However, I don't hope you feel offended, I was just teasing the racing-bike lady who likes the guys on the second seat. Most probably because we're just wonderful, patient, smart and supportive co-drivers / passengers :D

Ohhh, sorry, now I understand, before I didn't know what your point was. LOL.

For your info, Sanook is not my name, it is the Thai word for funny.

Sorry for off topic Msmoto. :(

Now, back to the D810…..LOL
    As a sort of on topic note…. i am headed for a photo shoot using both my "new" D800E and "old" D4. Having never used both at once, this should be interesting. But, it would appear the D810 can perform nearly all the tasks of this pair except the high FPS. I shoot the D800E in DX mode for the most part.
    Now, back to the D810…..LOL
    As a sort of on topic note…. i am headed for a photo shoot using both my "new" D800E and "old" D4. Having never used both at once, this should be interesting. But, it would appear the D810 can perform nearly all the tasks of this pair except the high FPS. I shoot the D800E in DX mode for the most part.
    I am interested in having a go with the 1.2 crop mode, slight increase in FPS and still 25(?) mp to work with, else wise I think I will leave it in full frame. Can't wait to test all of this. :)
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I have to admit, I raised my eyebrows when I heard, Ms. Moto, that you were buying a D800E to mostly shoot in crop mode, making it your defacto D400. However, I went out shooting osprey this past weekend and even with a 300 f/2.8 and a TC20 I still wasn't getting the reach I wanted. So I switched to DX mode and was quite happy with the results. Even picked up and extra frame or two per second, which was a bonus.
    My feeling is that if you can get a D800 in the low $2,000 range (refurbed or otherwise), that's your high end crop sensor body. Yes, you may lose a little resolution (if the D400 has a 24mpx sensor) but a D800 can do something that a D400 can't do: shoot in FX mode when the need arises. And I'm taking a wild guess, but I think that the D800E you bought is probably around the same price the D400/D9300 will be when and if it hits the market.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Another attempt: Anyone of the superearly adopters who already got the D810 (as in the mainblog described): Could you provide a normal NEF raw out of this camera? Please?
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I have to admit, I raised my eyebrows when I heard, Ms. Moto, that you were buying a D800E to mostly shoot in crop mode, making it your defacto D400. However, I went out shooting osprey this past weekend and even with a 300 f/2.8 and a TC20 I still wasn't getting the reach I wanted. So I switched to DX mode and was quite happy with the results. Even picked up and extra frame or two per second, which was a bonus.
    My feeling is that if you can get a D800 in the low $2,000 range (refurbed or otherwise), that's your high end crop sensor body. Yes, you may lose a little resolution (if the D400 has a 24mpx sensor) but a D800 can do something that a D400 can't do: shoot in FX mode when the need arises. And I'm taking a wild guess, but I think that the D800E you bought is probably around the same price the D400/D9300 will be when and if it hits the market.
    I still scratch my head as to why you would crop in camera instead of in post. Besides of course the frame advantage. What if you get the "money" shot, but the end of the wing is chopped off in a way which would not have happened in FX mode? There is no extra pixel density.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited July 2014
    +1 cropping in post.

Don't remember if this has been discussed. Improvement on the Sensor
    Take your photography into new territory. The D810’s
    redesigned image sensor gathers more light information
    to make it the first Nikon camera to offer a base
    sensitivity of ISO 64. Such superior low-sensitivity
    enables cleaner, better-defined images when shooting
    in bright light, and you can shoot at up to ISO 12800, or
    extend the range from 32 to 51200 ISO equivalent. But
    that’s not all. Designed without an optical low-pass filter,
    the sensor works in combination with Nikon’s EXPEED
    4 image-processing engine to deliver amazingly sharp
    stills that are unlike anything you’ve ever seen from a
    D-SLR.
    source pageg 10 Nikon Pdf
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    One reason to crop in camera is to let the camera do the work automatically and not have to take the time in post. If you are shooting just a few images post process cropping is fine. But if you are shooting hundreds of images in camera cropping saves a lot of time.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Part of it for me was the increased frame rate, as I was shooting ospreys in flight.
    One reason to crop in camera is to let the camera do the work automatically and not have to take the time in post. If you are shooting just a few images post process cropping is fine. But if you are shooting hundreds of images in camera cropping saves a lot of time.
    You could crop one in Lightroom develop and then copy the crop setting.

Albeit, your subject will be more likely to wander outside of the intended crop boundary I suppose.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    Yes, lightroom copy crop. But what do you gain then over in-camera cropping? If you manually crop in post processing you can adjust your crop area individually for each frame. When I have shot my D800 with DX in mind I did shoot full frame and manually crop each frame so I could adjust the crop frame to frame. But I was not shooting hundreds of images at one time. I was shooting maybe 20 or 30 images so I could examine them for the best ones and then just crop those few images.
    Sounds reasonable.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2014
    Where I live, there have been a bunch of good second hand D800 for sale, by upgraders to a D810, for as low as USD $1880/ --
    would be tempted if I didn't already have a D610.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'll take that crappy ol' D610 off you hearty...
    Always learning.
    edited July 2014
    I'll take that crappy ol' D610 off you hearty...
    LOL ! i am still so in love with it.. .. .. ... given a choice I would probably still choose the D610 over the Df, D800 and D4 ... yup totally infatuated!

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    They say that love makes you blind :-)
    But there is logic in it! here is my quick and dirty comparison of a D610 vs the other Nikon FX
    * D4/D4S : too big and heavy. 16 MP cant crop as much esp when using my DX lenses
    * DF: 16MP cant crop as much when using DX lenses, FPS, AF is not as good as the D610.
    * D800/E : High ISO not as good as the D610. heavier, FPS is also lower. I like the D610 colours better.

*D810 : hmmm ... d810 wins ;-)

edited July 2014
    Soon I will pick up my D810. I was just thinking about some extras I might need to buy because this is the first time I will have high MP camera and it got me thinking about sd cards.

The fastest sd cards I have are 45mb/s and so I started looking at sd cards. I was wondering what most the D800 users are using for their cameras.

I see Sandisk now do new sd cards that do 280mb/s. I also see that they are expensive.

Would there be a great benefit in getting the 280 speed cards over say the 95mb/s cards?

I do realise that this probably only matters if and when I take multiple shots (& lots of them & start to fill the buffer) but I was wondering what the users here think? I also guess this would probably matter even less with the D810 as its buffer is even bigger than the D800/e cameras.

Then there is video, not that I use video much.

Would it be worth buying the faster card (280mb/s)?
    Post edited by Sanook on
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    @Sanook I shoot with D7100 and I do notice if I use some of my old, slower cards. First time I shot with newer faster cards I knew I'd never want to shoot with anything but the best of cards that my camera can use.
    It felt like I could take a coffee break between shots....

I will be getting the D810, but unlike when I got the D7100, not the first week it goes on sale... First off it was a bit expensive then compared to just a few months later and secondly I don't feel in any way that current camera doesn't do the job I need it to do.
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
    ^ Thankyou.

I am sure with some old cards you are probably right about a coffee break in between. :)

I am wondering what people with the D800/e's experience with the 95mb/s speed cards, as its hardly a slow card but then again multiple shots x 36mp and i guess eventually the card could become a bottle neck causing the buffer to fill up more quickly.......but im just not sure how quickly, especially since the D810 is reported to have double the buffer of the D800 & e.

The 280mb/s cards are very expensive here and I think they have only just been released this year, so people must have been using the 95mb/s cards before that?

I normally just buy the fastest cards available and then I saw the price and wow thats expensive. lol
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    But there is logic in it! here is my quick and dirty comparison of a D610 vs the other Nikon FX
    * D4/D4S : too big and heavy. 16 MP cant crop as much esp when using my DX lenses
    * DF: 16MP cant crop as much when using DX lenses, FPS, AF is not as good as the D610.
    * D800/E : High ISO not as good as the D610. heavier, FPS is also lower. I like the D610 colours better.

*D810 : hmmm ... d810 wins ;-)
    The day you shoot with a D4 or D4s, I have a strong feeling you will re-think your position.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    If hearty buys a D4S Ali, he would have also bought FX lenses (having recently robbed a bank). :)
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    All the talk about camera weights, I do not understand. They all weigh about 10 kg at the end of the day... (:|
    Msmoto, mod
    edited July 2014
    If hearty buys a D4S Ali, he would have also bought FX lenses (having recently robbed a bank). :)
    LOL .. got to start casing out a bank ;-)

seriously though . the colours and images from the DF, D4 and D4S are awesome.. love them! However, The functionality just does not synergise what I need from my primary camera. and the price doesnt not synergise with my wallet for a secondary camera. maybe in a few years time I may get the D810/D9300 as my primary camera and find a second hand Df as my secondary camera. At the moment the D610 is just perfect for me :-) .. just totally smitten by its capabilities and IQ!

Aye. Apart from the fact that it has the old D7000's autofocus system, it is a lovely body. It was the cost as well that put me off it when I had it in one hand and my D7100 in the other. I weighed cost to buy and use the D7100 against the D610 and D800 in terms of real world cost - upgrade of lenses to go for the D610, upgrade of lenses and computers to go for D800 against the benefit in use I would get and it just didn't make sense to me. I could have gone for the D610 at nearly twice the price of the D7100 plus upgrade of lenses) or D800 at nearer 3 times (plus computer and lenses) but for me, the D7100 was too much of a bargain to pass on.

Always learning.
    edited July 2014
    The specs say the AF is the same between the D7000, Df , D600 and D610. but I have seen reviews that say the D610 AF is better than the DF and D600. I have the both the D7000 and D610 and the D610 AF is clearly better. I don't have the D7100 or D800 to compare so I dont know how they perform relative to each other although the D7100 and D800 should perform better I have the impression from reviewers that the D610 and D7100 are very similar overall. the D7100 should have better Low light AF performance but in good light the D610 may be better.

You are right about the cost of the camera body .. I guess I felt that the colours and DR and High ISO was what I wanted to explore next in my photography journey.. however as I mention in the other thread. there is no need to upgrade the majority of your DX glass.