D810, All Discussions, Questions

Comments

• JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    D810 Video/short film

Every Moment Counts from Cinescapes Collective on Vimeo.
    Oh MY... what a fantastic piece of work that is. And what exactly are all these people creating bitching about how the D810 can't do 4K? Is there work SO superior that somehow that camera is a truly a limitation to them? I'm all for technology but much of me thinks that until you're squeezing everything out of a camera, I really don't want to hear complaining about the lack of 4K support.
    So has anybody picked theirs up yet? Or are you all just out doing what you should be doing and that's shooting with it. :)
  • chitochito Posts: 10Member
    So has anybody picked theirs up yet? Or are you all just out doing what you should be doing and that's shooting with it. :)
    B&H shipped mine today for delivery next Tuesday.
    I'm excited!
    ♪ I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So mama don't take my Kodachrome away ♪ - Paul Simon
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Truthfully, short of getting your hands on the RAW files and playing with them, what Dx0 Mark's tests show about dynamic range and sharpness will tell you more.
    Up until you said this, I totally agreed. DxO is no more useful for getting an idea of how a camera performs than edited JEPG files posted on the internet.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited July 2014
    Here is a comparison one that I grabbed from somebody at DPREVIEW
    This is a quick comparison between D800, D800E, D810 and Sony A7r

All are iso 100 Except the 810 iso 64.

Crops through imaging-resource site.

Here is a direct link to Imaging-resource
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    edited July 2014
    Yes, I beleive that was discussed earlier in this thread.

From NIKONUSA

ISO Sensitivity

Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity 64

ISO 64 -12,800
    Lo-1 (ISO 32)
    Hi-1 (ISO 25,600)
    Hi-2 (ISO 51,200)
    The truth is that looking at sample images will tell you nothing. There's no way that looking at any sample image will let you know that it's better than a D800/D800E unless they are identical shots under identical conditions. Truthfully, short of getting your hands on the RAW files and playing with them, what Dx0 Mark's tests show about dynamic range and sharpness will tell you more.
    Sample images don't do anything for me. I can see great images posted that are made with the Nikon D3100 and a 35mm DX prime. What I want to see/hear is avid, enthusiast, and professional photographers with this camera in their hand and what their first impressions are. I want to hear more people talk about the refinements of this body and if it is in fact a better performer at higher ISO's (subjective opinion is a-ok). I don't feel I really know what to trust until people such as yourself let the rest of us know...
    edited July 2014
    Totally agreed. Sigma 50 1.4 A and Nikon 105mm VR is in my future of lens lineup.

Since my D800 seems to be fixed now with AF and a new mirror mechanism I'm not looking for the D810 unless something happens to the current D800.

As long as the D800 has great light it is great a camera with Awesome DR and my DF can be set to auto iso without question.

The D810 is very tempting but its the Lens that makes the Image.

Well, I haven't played with the D810, but from what I've seen/read, it's *very* hard for me to imagine that it's worth $1000 more than a simple D800. You can pick up a D800 for that much less if you look. I think that in almost all circumstances, and unless you are extremely demanding and have money to spare, you're better off putting that money towards premium glass; either the Nikon 24/1.4, the Sigma 35/1.4A, the Sigma 50A, or the Nikon 85/1.4g, depending upon your focal length needs. The improvement you'll see using premium glass over average or good glass will be much more significant and serve your further into the future than some nominal increase in sharpness and a few other nice, but ultimately not game-changing improvements.
    From a value perspective, I doubt you'd get any argument against your point. $1,000 is clearly better spent in glass than what the D810 can give over the D800 however... Everybody needs a body and everybody needs to upgrade their body at some point. I'm also of the mindset that I typically keep a camera from 3-5 years. You spread the $1,000 over say 4 years of regular use and that doesn't start to look too bad. Furthermore, think about resale value. If I buy a D800 today and save $1000. When I go to resell that camera in 4 years from now, how much more am I going to be able to get for the D810 than an D800 at that time? My guess is I'm probably going to get $500+/- more for the D810 which means I'm now talking about a $500 or so dollar investment over 4 years to get the "extra" features.

If I had a D800 now the answer is pretty clear, the upgrade costs to this body probably don't justify the move, but anybody coming from say a D700, D600, or a D7000/D7100. Which to do? If you're in it for the long haul, I want the better body and the D810 should prove to be clearly better if only mildly so. That extra $$ now coupled with time and resale value down the road would seem to make this the better purchase. At least that's my humble opinion.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Agree with the above comments.

If you are in the US and wanting to upgrade from D700 or DX then the 10% increase in cost over a D800 is within reason - go D810.

If you have a D800 or a D800e - you really must have a specific need to upgrade to D810 - very few have.

If you are in the EU and wanting to upgrade from D700 or DX then go find a D800 as the price difference between the D800 and D810 is 55% - and you would really have to need the new features in the D810 to spend that much more.

If you have a D600 or D610 you should probably just be happy as it is a good camera - you made that decision once and you were probably right the first time - it is all about want not need :-)
  • SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    My D810 arrived yesterday, havent yet touched it yet but are hoping to do so asap.

Does anyone here believe that it would be of benefit to buy the new Sandisk sd cards with the 280m/s write speeds, or just stick with the 95 m/s ones. I understand it would only make a difference once the buffer on the Camera is full, but wondering what everyones thoughts here are. Video is less of a concern to me, but i look forward to sampling it.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Interesting comments about value. Value is a personal judgment unless one is attempting to be a reseller or operate profitably on the secondary market.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    My D810 arrived yesterday, havent yet touched it yet but are hoping to do so asap.

Does anyone here believe that it would be of benefit to buy the new Sandisk sd cards with the 280m/s write speeds, or just stick with the 95 m/s ones. I understand it would only make a difference once the buffer on the Camera is full, but wondering what everyones thoughts here are. Video is less of a concern to me, but i look forward to sampling it.
    Well, you can take this with a grain of salt considering I do not own a D800/D810 (yet) but if the 95Mb/s cards were just fine for the D800 and the D810's files are going to be essentially the same size, than they're going to work every bit as well with the D810 as they did the D800 and I'm not hearing any complaints in that manner.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    If you are shooting action, news or sports, get the fast cards. Otherwise, the 95s are enough. Nikon has doubled the buffer size.

My next camera will be a DF. It is very different from the D800 and wil present new shooting experiences. The D810 is too modest an improvement. Then I will buy a premium 50ish mm and a super-tele prime. Then the D830 will be out and I will give my son the D800, who will be 12 then. I imagine that an upgrade from a D800 to a D830 will be a nice upgrade.
  • spsfotospsfoto Posts: 11Member
    edited July 2014

I dont know if its improved since the last firmware but a 95MB/s card will cap out at about 50-62 MB/s actual write speed on a d800. Not sure how much more the d810 write speed has been increased but looks as if it has according to Nasim at Photographylife.com.

I think you would get faster write speeds with the 280MB/s card over a 95MB/s card but not 280MB/s worth.

some reading: D800 write speeds

D810 write speed discussed in comments
    Post edited by spsfoto on
    ^ THANKYOU so much, all of you, now I will just try to understand the information you have provided. I might make do with the 95MB/S cards for a month or two & then get the 280 speed cards when their price drops a bit. So expensive in Australia !
  • spsfotospsfoto Posts: 11Member
    ^ THANKYOU so much, all of you, now I will just try to understand the information you have provided. I might make do with the 95MB/S cards for a month or two & then get the 280 speed cards when their price drops a bit. So expensive in Australia !
    I'm in NZ and same problem. I use the 95MB/s cards currently with D800/a7r and I've been happy with them. If I upgrade them I'll be waiting for specials on B&H or Amazon as I did with the 95MB/s.

NZ doesn't get D810's until Monday for some weird reason. vOv
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    Got a new camera yesterday and haven't touched it yet? What is the matter with you? You clearly don't want it. :-)

D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
    Got a new camera yesterday and haven't touched it yet? What is the matter with you? You clearly don't want it. :-)

So busy, lol. Nikon not release camera when I have spare time - bad Nikon ;)

Next week I will open it & introduce it to my old best friend - D300.

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I've been on the edge to get a 2nd body for a long time. I was just about to get a used D3x but just could not justify $3300ish for 6+ year old technology. The D810 looks to be to be that D3x on steroids. It would have been nice to only need one battery charger and have the controls the same as my D3s but all the improvements over those years can't be overlooked. I think having a D3s and a D810 would be a great combo. I figured when I got the D3s I would be using it for 10 years but my other body is a D2h now over 10 years old and seen better days. I really need to get that usable 2nd body that compliments the D3s.

Well I pulled the trigger and got it from the Nikon Store as they showed it in stock. I'm expecting it early next week. I will open the package the moment it arrives.

framer
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Like Sanook, I just picked up my D810 tonight. I was pretty nervous handing over my D800E and $1000, but I have really liked what I see so far. An actual useable ISO 3200 to 6400 range. Faster AF especially on eyes and faces in general. The real shocker for me so far is the much quieter shutter! Anyone else heard it yet? Its shocking. With the electronic front curtain shutter switched off it is as silent as can be. Q mode and QC modes work very nicely as well. Just charging up the battery now as it was shipped with a single bar only. Luckily I have a few spares. Gonna be a fun weekend! :))
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2014
    @framer: Nice move...I would have done the same.
    @Sanook. I would at least pull the battery out and charge it :P
    @kanuck: Congrats. Your feedback is a very positive start....keep them coming.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited July 2014
    Like Sanook, I just picked up my D810 tonight. I was pretty nervous handing over my D800E and $1000, but I have really liked what I see so far. An actual useable ISO 3200 to 6400 range. Faster AF especially on eyes and faces in general. The real shocker for me so far is the much quieter shutter! Anyone else heard it yet? Its shocking. With the electronic front curtain shutter switched off it is as silent as can be. Q mode and QC modes work very nicely as well. Just charging up the battery now as it was shipped with a single bar only. Luckily I have a few spares. Gonna be a fun weekend! :))
    For what it's worth, after pretty thoroughly scavenging through the internet with opinions from those who have purchased the D810 your findings are right in line with what I'm seeing. Everybody is talking about the silent shutter and the much improved AF system (in general, not just group area AF), as well as a more comfortable grip. Secondarily, some are reporting better ISO performance but that is more of a mixed bag. In the IQ dept, the gains are minimal if any.

I think the more dampened shutter along with the noticeable improvement in AF is a bit of a surprise, some may feel the lack of improved IQ disappointing however I'm not one of them. Thom Hogan spoke of being careful about early image comparisons, but I think it's safe to say there's nothing revolutionary here in terms of IQ.

If these early reports pan out (as I suspect they will in the long haul) I think this makes this for a better upgrade than expected. I'll be stoked to pickup this body.
    Post edited by JonMcGuffin on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Nikon did an amazing job with the D800 and the D4. When you set the bar high for a product line, over the previous one, it is challenging to raise it higher...but Nikon has done that with the D4s and know with the D810. Gravity is a bitch...if you get my meaning.

@Jon, I have a strong feeling you will be quite happy with this body. Cheers :)
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Personally, I like a noisy shutter, though I am not a wedding photographer.