D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2013
    D300s still available in the uk

Amazon UK £815.07

Calumet ( low stock ) £889.00
    D300's is also in stock at most large camera dealers in Canada. Sales must be very slow, since I believe production stopped in July last year.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hmmm, I wonder if Nikon is waiting for the D300s to sell out before introducing the D400 :O)
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @spraynpray

LOL......

I think Nikon might be waiting for this thread to attain 100 pages.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • catfish252catfish252 Posts: 30Member
    edited May 2013
    Some good news for those awaiting the D400 It seems it is on it's way this year Nikon is waiting for Canon to announce the 7D MarkII, Hopefully it is finally coming by the end of the year and it sounds really good. read it here: http://photographylife.com/nikon-d400-is-definitely-coming
    Post edited by catfish252 on
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. Ansel Adams
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Read Mansurov's article, and I do respect his work. I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp on D400, but that's just me.

What troubled me about Mansurov's "leak" was the notion, stated more than once, that Nikon is holding back to simultaneously release with 7DMk2. Given Nikon's recent dramas missing sales targets, holding back a ready-to-go product for a "joint launch" with the primary competitor is crazy as a soup sandwich.

That makes me skeptical, right or wrong, about the rest of the story.

shawnino -- I got the feeling there were still a couple of issues to be ironed out and not that it was good to go. If it is true it sounds like it will be a really nice camera.
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. Ansel Adams
    edited May 2013
    I understand what Nikon is thinking, putting the D7100 out before summer, rather than the D400. The D7100 is a mass market consumer camera, the Dxxx series not so much. Nikon thus get's to nail down all the people looking for a new camera before grad season hits.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    D400 with that spec - I can almost taste it - gaaaah! :P
    Always learning.
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure I believe this leak, but that being said, you've got to believe that the processor has to be a real issue here. To be a "sports" camera, you have to think that it's got to be able to reach 8fps. That would mean to process 24mp files it would have to be able to crank through almost 200 total mp per second. The D4 at 10 fps is only processing 162 mp/second, and the D800 is doing 144 mp/second (which is the same as the D7100).

Nikon needs to develop more horsepower.
    Theres no rule that says they can't go Dual Processors Canon has been running dual processors for years, The 1D Mk III and the 1D Mk IV, the 7D is dual also.
    edited May 2013
    @catfish252 You are of course correct; indeed, the 1Dx has three processors: one for metering, one for autofocus and one for everything else. Still, you have to wonder why if they haven't done it for the D800, why they would multiply costs by adding it to what will in all likelihood be a cheaper camera.
    Maybe because the D800 has that 36MP sensor and that gave them fits just to get it to run at a acceptable speed., the dual processor may be the upgrade for the next generation of D800s so they can give the users faster fps. Just a guess.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The Nikon 1 J3 does 852 Mpix/sec. The processing isn't the issue. Physics (flipping the mirror) is the limiting factor, and focusing for each frame slows you down too, but 10-12fps on a DX should be easy-peasy for Nikon if they want to do it.
    The Nikon 1 J3 does 852 Mpix/sec. The processing isn't the issue. Physics (flipping the mirror) is the limiting factor, and focusing for each frame slows you down too, but 10-12fps on a DX should be easy-peasy for Nikon if they want to do it.
    I just looked at the specs on the N1-J3 fast little scooter 15fps with AF, and 30-60 with AF locked on first frame, I don't see much benefit of the 30-60 fps unless all the movement is in one plane (juggler maybe)
    edited May 2013
    The fast speed on the J series cameras is so that people who suck at photography are less likely to miss a shot.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    My personal addition: we should see some new DX lenses with this announcement.
    A D400 + 16mm f1.8 (or 14-15) in September would be ideal for me. Seems more like hallucinating than dreaming at this point.
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Again I've mostly just been lurking in this forum sense really there hasn't been any new rumors....

But I have a rare disagreement with MsMoto, I don't think the D400 should be the size of the D800. I think the form factor of the D300 is near perfect. Small exception is the placement of the AF/AE lock button.

Bland, I wouldn't waste money on a new D300s (unless you really want to do video) you can get barely used D300 for under $500 USD in my neck of the woods. I just recently did exactly that, ditched the D200 for a lightly used D300 (50,000) clicks, which is nothing for these cameras. Now when the D400 does come out I haven't wasted much money and won't mind getting the 400.

D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    I should say either the AF/AE lock button is in the wrong place or my thumb is to short. Of course by the time the D400 does come out medical science will be able to give me longer thumbs! Great for hitch hiking ;-)
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    Size…. I guess I thought the D300 and D800 were about the same size, but the D800 is 0.3 inches thicker and taller.

D300s:
    Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.8 x 4.5 x 2.9" / 14.73 x 11.43 x 7.37 cm
    Weight 29.63 oz / 840 g Body only

D800:
    Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.7 x 4.8 x 3.2" / 14.5 x 12.2 x 8.1 cm
    Weight 1.98 lb / 900 g body only

My primary concern regarding a D300s replacement is of course the access to the various functions as on the D4. D800. Slight size difference is of minimal concern for me.

As to Mansurov's comments…who would know. He totally blew it last Fall as I remember….

I think everybody is guessing and Nikon has apparently prevented any real "leaks". My suspicions are Nikon is making certain they will not have another product with defects hitting the market.
    Msmoto, mod
    Agree, I think Nikon knows that if the D400 doesn't come out right, they could loose some loyal customers.
    Agree, I think Nikon knows that if the D400 doesn't come out right, they could loose some loyal customers.
    I think Nikon should understand by now that if they don't acknowledge their Quality issues from here on out they will start to lose more customers. I don't think the numbers of customers that have left have been alarming yet but I believe that another D800 left focus or D600 dirty sensor type fiasco without any apparent ownership or acknowledgement of the issue to those customers affected and a timely fix all on their dime and they will witness a mass exodus. No pep talks from the likes of a Joe McNally will be able to halt it. I believe that most people are very reasonable and understand that with equipment as intricate as a DSLR there will be problems from time to time, just acknowledge it and provide a timely fix with the least amount of customer impact and most folks will remain loyal. As for myself, I have been saving for over 2 years to purchase my next camera, I am hoping it will be the follow-on to the D300/D300s if that materializes. I would have gone full frame by now however the 2 FF cameras that are within my budget have Quality issues that have not been addressed to my satisfaction by Nikon. Maybe we should get together and petition Nikon to institute a customer feedback panel in the different regions that Nikon sells in. Such as having Nikon Canada and Nikon USA conference call or teleconference several times a year with the General Managers of those Nikon regions and discuss whats on their customer minds. I've purchased 4 DSLRs over the years and have never been asked what I thought of it, what I thought of Nikon, their support, or their service. I find that very strange and troubling. At this point I'm not sure they care what we think. It's a far cry from what I was taught about Japanese business ideology.
    @catfish252

For some time now, Nikon has had reviews on their website

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25482/D4.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Thus, the mechanism is in place and they publish the negative reviews as well.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25488/D600.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Nikon is fully aware of the issues, but I think the response to these is distinctly different than what many of us would like. The reason for this is not clear, at least to me.....
    Msmoto, mod
    @catfish252

For some time now, Nikon has had reviews on their website

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25482/D4.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Thus, the mechanism is in place and they publish the negative reviews as well.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25488/D600.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Nikon is fully aware of the issues, but I think the response to these is distinctly different than what many of us would like. The reason for this is not clear, at least to me.....
    I was aware of those reviews

"but I think the response to these is distinctly different than what many of us would like." the response is damn near invisible. Thinking back about all of the long term dealings I've had with Corporations over the years I find Nikon to be the most frustrating. They have never made it clear to me whether they appreciate my business or not. That's a hell of a way to run a business.
    I ran the customer service and after sales service department of a very large company for ten years. During that time I was proud of the service we offered, working with customers to sort out problems that were their fault and taking ownership of problems that were our fault in an honest and open manner. I personally installed a culture that was the opposite of "the customer is a pita" attitude that was in place before. The difference this made to the customers perception of our company was enormous. Don't get me wrong, even the best service will not save you if you repeatedly turn our poor quality or are bad with delivery to promise, but it does keep the customers happy while you get your s**t straight.

Are you listening Nikon? Email me if you want my help. You will find my rates quite fair, although you may not like my style of dealing with employees who don't share my views on customer service.....
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2013
    reading NRM. As far as I can see, people who were waiting for the D400 have bought
    D7000
    D7100
    D800
    secondhand
    D3s
    and I think in one case, a Nikon 1

Any one know of any one jumping ship or buying a Canon?

On the subject of customer service, what are your FIRST HAND experiences of dealing with Nikon?
    in over 40 years I have never had any faulty equipment and have found their technical advice superb.
    friends who have also Canons seem pretty happy with their kit; they do seem to have a few problems with lenses especially the long ones but this may be due to very hard use

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited June 2013
    Actually, out there in the real world, I find a very different picture altogether than the one that is portrayed here on NR. Nobody is aching for thr D400 and they just seem to get on with their lives using what they've got. People who own D800's that barely know how to use a digital camera, people still happily using D40's, D70's and D300's and get great results from them and most people who haven't heard of and aren't interested in this or any other internet forums. I grant you that experience is based on the club I belong to and others I meet members of, but that is a fair number of people. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of their images either - the guy with the D800 never comes anywhere in any competitions and some of the people with the old 'uns have won competitions - go figure. ;)

Thinking about it, I don't actually know anybody who owns a D600 - draw what conclusions you like from that because I don't know why, although I do suspect there is enough information available to those about to buy a new FF body for them to decide against it, but it seems they just hold on to what they've got. Jump to canon? Good god no.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2013
    People who own D800's that barely know how to use a digital camera, ...
    ......... It doesn't seem to affect the quality of their images either
    That the great thing about the D800 you don't need to know a lot about photography
    set it to P (P for profession) AUTO focus, AUTO ISO, AUTO WB; steer clear, of exposure compensation, bracketing and take great photos

Post edited by sevencrossing on
This discussion has been closed.