D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited May 2013
    Two things are equally important:

1. They should make D400 a professional camera. It should be of no less quality than the D800. (we already have D7100)

2. It should be a fast shooter with a large buffer. (we already have D800 that doubles as a professional DX camera but is slow)

The D400 should not be for people that cannot afford FX. It should be for people that wants DX because of the benefits: high pixel density, fast and lean. I don't think it can be priced above the D800 though (if it doesn't come with an exceptional new level of performance).

My dream camera, by the way, is a D800 that is just a little bit faster. That would be the perfect successor to my D300s.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    Anybody thinks the D400 will be mirrorless?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hint: Read the thread before you post - it has all been said before snakebunk.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry, I only read the last pages. At least you (or Nikon) know that there is one more person that says the same thing as someone else :)

(I would like a forum where it's ok not to read 35 pages before you post, but I'll stick to your rules from now on of course)
    It's not a rule, we're pretty relaxed here, but it saves going round in circles more than we already do :P

Hey, welcome to NR by the way.
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    A $2,300 priced D400 defeats the whole purpose of the camera. FACT: Smaller sensor cameras cost less to build. Nikon knows what the "buzz" is and uses that to some degree in pricing. Your point on the 80-400VR lens is PRECISELY why the lens should have come in a little lower. I have been in business long enough to know you can't make all your profit on one sale. The 80-400VR is obviously a great lens. The price though is somewhat over what it should have been. I for one am not remotely interested in $100 rebates.
    We agree then. Now it just remains to see what happens. I would be OK though with $2K+ if the spec was REALLY excellent.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2013

My dream camera, by the way, is a D800 that is just a little bit faster. That would be the perfect successor to my D300s.
    I think there is a greater demand and much grater chance of a faster D800 than a D400
    and think you wish will be fulfilled but not this year

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @snakebunk

Welcome to NRF. What you have said is well hashed out as stated by the early risers.... but one of the mods is really looking toward a non-mirror camera body with either a full or crop sensor......my guess in late 2014 or early 2015 from Nikon (LOL).

I really think there is a possibility Fuji or someone might bring out an adaptor like the Nikon G lens to Leica M 240 adapter and this would allow the Nikkors on a new Fuji body which will have figured out how to have an AF-continuous servo mode that works as accurately as the current Nikon pro bodies.

But, I hope for a lot of things....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2013
    @sprayandpray & @Msmoto Thank you!

@sevencrossing Maybe it is time for a D900 thread? :)

After a couple of hours shooting birds this morning I was reminded that what I miss most with my D300s is probably the buffer size. Typically nothing happens for a long while and then, suddenly and hopefully, you want to shoot constantly for maybe 10 seconds. Also it would be great to have a camera that could autofocus down to f/8 since it would open up for a 1.4x teleconverter on my f/4.5 lense.

So, in my case, it would be interesting with a D400 that is just an incremental upgrade. Or to wait a bit longer for the super camera, the D900.

I wonder if it's possible to make a mirrorless camera with a small (DX) sensor that you could move back and forth to switch between crop and full format? (full format if you move the sensor towards the lense and crop if you move it back) But maybe it's optically impossible?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I agree with Spraynpry and others, we will not see the D400 at $1,800. My patience are running thin as well. We really need a leak on the replacement. I am starting to think about buying something else in the Nikon line. This is getting old.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    I also agree the D400 that most of us want will not come in at the $1800 price. I went out to shoot birds this am and now have an ERR message on my D3 and it will not function. The shutter seems to not function. Now have to send that in and it leaves me with the urge to purchase something in the down time. If the D400 were here would be an easy no brainer. C'mon Nikon !!!!
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    "My patience are running thin as well. We really need a leak on the replacement."

+1 - reading up on Canon rumour sites (in hope that if the new 7D gets released it may force Nikon's hand) there have been rumours of 3 test bodies with varying specs circulating for quite some time, no doubt so Canon can see the internet reaction to the different configurations (who needs focus groups when you have the net!).

Also the longer Nikon leave it, the bigger the jump will have to be to make a splash - it'll have to be more than a D7100 with a D800 body and a decent buffer...
    edited May 2013
    . ......my D3 and it will not function. ...... If the D400 were here would be an easy no brainer.

Yes a DX Camera with features of a D3s ( or D4) for the price of D600 would be a big hit

will it happen ?? I don't think so

Maybe not as you describe seven, but they will release a D400.

You:- "Will not"

Me - "Will too"

Me - "Will too"

Me - "Will too"

Just thought I would save us a few posts :D
    Always learning.
    edited May 2013
    I think we might get a D400
    but I feel
    it will not be this year
    it will something completely different
    It might be more expensive than the D800 ( current price )
    it might not be DX ( remember the D2 replacement was not another DX camera )
    It will NOT be a replacement for the D300
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited May 2013

I really think there is a possibility Fuji or someone might bring out an adaptor like the Nikon G lens to Leica M 240 adapter and this would allow the Nikkors on a new Fuji body which will have figured out how to have an AF-continuous servo mode that works as accurately as the current Nikon pro bodies.

But, I hope for a lot of things....
    Looking on the blog it appears that this wish might have come true. I didn't read it that close but so it might not have the continuous servo mode, either way its a start.

BACK to the topic

I really hope for a D400 but not betting the farm on it.

Post edited by scoobysmak on
  • catfish252catfish252 Posts: 30Member
    edited May 2013
    And Now This-- from Canon Rumors -- They give this a (CR2) A good rumor from a known Source

Only one more body in 2013?
    From a good source, we’re told that an EOS 7D Mark II will not be released in 2013. We could get an announcement sometime in this calendar year, but availability will be next year. The only DSLR still to come in 2013 from Canon is the EOS 70D.

Well hopefully Nikon will still treat us to a D300/s successor this year.
    Post edited by catfish252 on
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. Ansel Adams
  • macnimationmacnimation Posts: 2Member
    I contacted Nikon support recently asking about the upgrade to the D300s as I found that the D7100 basically does not cut it as a pro camera for me. It just didn't feel right. I do not need a DX camera with training wheels and high pixal count does not impress me as a selling point for quality.

The response was actually strange as the person responded saything they couldnot comment on any future releases or to the D400 specs.

Why was this interesting? I never mentioned a D400 or what the upgrade might be, I simply asked if there was going to be an upgrade to the D300s as I did not regard the D7100 as a suitable replacement to the D300s's I have.

It could be a Nikon twisted sense of humour also.....
    I contacted Nikon support recently asking about the upgrade to the D300s as I found that the D7100 basically does not cut it as a pro camera for me. It just didn't feel right. I do not need a DX camera with training wheels and high pixal count does not impress me as a selling point for quality.

The response was actually strange as the person responded saything they couldnot comment on any future releases or to the D400 specs.

Why was this interesting? I never mentioned a D400 or what the upgrade might be, I simply asked if there was going to be an upgrade to the D300s as I did not regard the D7100 as a suitable replacement to the D300s's I have.

It could be a Nikon twisted sense of humour also.....
    I did the same thing by email quite a while back now and was told " I should take a look at the D5100"
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. Ansel Adams
    "I did the same thing by email quite a while back now and was told " I should take a look at the D5100"

And others were told to buy a D600.

I think these answers are made by people who aren't in the loop at all, otherwise there would be at least some consistency...
    "From a good source, we’re told that an EOS 7D Mark II will not be released in 2013"

If true I think that makes a D400 this year (maybe ever?) extremely unlikely :-(

Really hope I'm wrong
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If anything it makes even more sense for Nikon to release the D400 this year. It gives them an opportunity to take market share in the high end DX market.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    If anything it makes even more sense for Nikon to release the D400 this year. It gives them an opportunity to take market share in the high end DX market.
    I agree with you -- time for Nikon to get on that horse and ride!
  • macnimationmacnimation Posts: 2Member
    Nikon seem to go by the philosphy of "if we are not doing it, then no one is" which tends to lead ot disaster.

There is a market gap for a Professional DX camera, they need to act on it, they are already falling behind.

I would already be expecting the next generation of cameras to improve the video capabilities to high speed recording of 400, 1200 fps etc as they have reached the pinnacle of video quality options now, unless the yare looking at 4K to be added. Again, Canon are the first choice for Pro video users to use DSLR's for production video, not Nikon. I believ Canon are already looking at this.

I have GoPro hero 3 cameras that can shoot 4K..... so why not the DLSR's
This discussion has been closed.