D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    i woz joking.... :-<
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I know. The post is more of a general statement to anyone who is getting impatient.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Any future announcements would be middle or late August or early September. Isn't that when the next large photo show is scheduled? As someone said, the summer is a "slow" time for new equipment.

If we see the price drop on the D7100 in the US like they did in the UK it certainly sets the stage for a new body between the D7100 and D600. Now that should wake up some of the readers of this forum.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2013
    Any future announcements would be middle or late August or early September.

Agree but 2014? 2015? 2016 8->
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Any future announcements would be middle or late August or early September.

Agree but 2014? 2015? 2016 8->
    LOL - no comment on the year!

Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    It is interesting we have not heard any leaks about the D400 specs..... Maybe I need to put something on the webs...LOL

As has been stated by me...my opinion only....Nikon has to have a great camera coming down the pike....maybe there will be no D400 but a crop sensor like the Fuji X-Pro 1?

The lack of any leaks is curious.....
    Msmoto, mod
    It is interesting we have not heard any leaks about the D400 specs...
    "where there’s smoke there’s fire"

No smoke, No fire

Great question...what year?

No smoke, no fire, no D400 this year. Hate to say that.

I like the Moderators idea, post something on the web...that could start something. Then again, how many times have there been leaks...before every new camera introduction, right? The fact there has been nothing doesn't speak well for a new camera; DX or FX.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It is interesting we have not heard any leaks about the D400 specs...
    "where there’s smoke there’s fire"

No smoke, No fire

Or Nikon has been working to stop the leaks that have been spreading rumors. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Some mentions of the D400 desired specs are on other threads.....so....

Must haves include a buffer which will handle up to at least 50 RAW 14 bit lossless compressed images. ....more would be nice.
    Native ISO...well at this point I think it needs to be 12,800, but 6,400 may be what we get on a crop sensor.
    Body ergonomics...D800
    AA Filter...how nice if it did not have this....
    FPS...8 minimum to allow at least 6 seconds of continuous shooting.
    Focus system....same as D800 that works....
    Price....my guess is $2,195.00. This will be discounted rapidly to about $2,000.00.

I still maintain the idea of moving from crop sensor to full frame is such a huge economic crunch if someone has multiple crop sensor lenses, it is not a great idea if on a budget.

And, now we have relighted this thread so those of us who are still hanging on can wish.

Oh, could it be that Nikon is moving toward something like a Fujifilm X-Pro1 for a high end crop sensor body?
    And, that the D7100 is the top end of the DSLR crop sensor....mmmmm.....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2013

I still maintain the idea of moving from crop sensor to full frame is such a huge economic crunch if someone has multiple crop sensor lenses, ....

People investing in Nikon glass, seem to go for the f4 or f 2.8 trinity, all of which are FX
    All the pro super telephotos are FX
    All the f 1.4 primes are FX
    Yes there are third party DX lenses but I don't think Nikon are going to bring out a camera designed for third party lenses. May be sigma will bring out a D300 replacement

yes there is a big demand, for reasonably price Nikon shooting at 8 fps for 6 seconds

my gut feeling is the D800 replacement, will achieve this, but it will be in DX crop mode and with a battery pack

I don't get your point Seven. DX is lower cost than FX so why buy a D800 to use as DX? That seems as daft in some ways as the bloke in my camera club who has a D800, boasts about it a lot, but his only lens is his 18-200 LOL!
    Always learning.
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    Msmoto said

Must haves include a buffer which will handle up to at least 50 RAW 14 bit lossless compressed images. ....more would be nice.
    Native ISO...well at this point I think it needs to be 12,800, but 6,400 may be what we get on a crop sensor.
    Body ergonomics...D800
    AA Filter...how nice if it did not have this....
    FPS...8 minimum to allow at least 6 seconds of continuous shooting.
    Focus system....same as D800 that works....
    Price....my guess is $2,195.00. This will be discounted rapidly to about $2,000.00

+1 and i will take one.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,701Member
    Most of Msmoto's specs and a price of $1,999.00 .
    edited May 2013
    I don't get your point Seven. DX is lower cost than FX so why buy a D800 to use as DX?
    you would only use in DX mode for 8 fps, when 8fps is more import than a full frame image
    in the same way a D7100 can can run 7 FPS in its 1.3x crop mode

your point about Dx is lower cost is 100% correct, which is why, if you want to keep cost down, you don't add expensive pro features that most amateurs do not need .

Well sevencrossing, I have to disagree with you. Nikon should produce at least one "pro" DX body and at least a few "pro" quality DX lenses IMO. DX is perfectly capable of producing all the images seen on the web, in newspapers and in magazines. You don't need FX for those purposes since the display size is so limited. The D400 should be that body. There must be a hundred thousand photojournalists world wide who would appreciate a lighter DX "pro" body and lens package rather than hauling a D4 with FX lenses around all day. The DX 'pro' lenses are a bit lacking at the moment so I have to admit Nikon may not see it my way.
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree with Jose. I myself am a semi-pro. I do a paid gig from time to time, but my main income is my non-photography day job. I can't justify buying two D800s, but can two D300s. And they serve me pretty well.
    Post edited by Kuv on
    edited May 2013
    Well sevencrossing, I have to disagree with you. .......so I have to admit Nikon may not see it my way.
    I think, WE are, in fac in agreement
    It is just, as you say, NIKON is not in agreement ( at least at the moment )

Ok, it wouldn't take much, just a good D400 with great high ISO IQ. Then the DX 10-24 f3.5-4.5 and the 35mm 1.8 and the light 70-200 f4 are probably good enough. They lack durability but can be replaced if broken.
    Oh where or where are Nikon rumors on the next DSLR???

I'll bet there is some Nikon technician who has to read forums and provide feedback to Marketing. He must be laughing at us.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Can you still buy a new D300s? I'm getting tired from waiting for the D400, even thought about buying a Canon.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Amazon has 8 sellers with brand new D300s's ranging from $1200 to $1600. Top-tier sellers (B&H, adorama, etc...) all show out of stock.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Amazon has 8 sellers with brand new D300s's ranging from $1200 to $1600. Top-tier sellers (B&H, adorama, etc...) all show out of stock.
    Thanks!

D300s still available in the uk

Amazon UK £815.07

Calumet ( low stock ) £889.00
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    Maybe Nikon will release it to NPS members at the 2014 Winter Olympics. I think they tested the 800mm at the Summer Olympics.

Of course I am probably dreaming....
This discussion has been closed.