D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Nikon's top of the line DX sensor will be whatever sensor from whatever manufacturer they choose to insert into their top of the line DX body. "Nikon's sensor just means the sensor Nikon uses in its top of the line body. It may even be from Aptina.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Regardless of the FAB, the sensors are designed by Nikon. Who stamps them out is a simple matter of economics.
    Just because the A6 processor is "made" by Samsung or TSMC it is no less Apples design.

If I fertilize my wife's egg "in vitro" and have a surrogate carry the fetus for 9 months is it no longer my biological child? You people kill me...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2014
    Nikon's top of the line DX sensor will be whatever sensor from whatever manufacturer they choose to insert into their top of the line DX body. "Nikon's sensor just means the sensor Nikon uses in its top of the line body. It may even be from Aptina.
    Unlikely to come from Aptina, since they were recently bought out by a company that wants to use those fabs for other purposes.
    Regardless of the FAB, the sensors are designed by Nikon. Who stamps them out is a simple matter of economics.
    Nikon does very little in terms of sensor design, despite what they might say. What they do is take other manufactures sensors and have the third party company that develops the firmware for their cameras, process the images in a superior fashion. Does Nikon give the manufactures some input on the level of performance they expect from the sensors they order, sure, but in terms of actual sensor development, I doubt Nikon does much at all.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Then why doesn't every camera manufacturer have a 36MP sensor camera? Also I suppose nikon doesn't have any sensor patents either. Why would they if they have no IP in this area.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Regardless of where the sensor comes from, who designed it or whether or not Nikon gives anyone else credit for it really is beside the point. Apparently, Canon is about to announce a new "top of the line" Canon crop sensor body and Nikon is more likely than ever to also do so which will finally be the D300s replacement. That is the point. When? Likely September.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    When? Likely September.
    Unless Nikon's management knows that the Canon sensor is going to be awesome, in which case they would be waaay smarter to unleash the D300S replacement first.
    I will see your September and raise you August.
    Do I hear a July out there? :-bd
    edited July 2014
    Then why doesn't every camera manufacturer have a 36MP sensor camera?
    Maybe because they don't all have a contract with Sony for the sensor. 8-| There is a big difference between IP and actually designing all aspects of the device. We are not privy to the contract between Sony and Nikon so we have no idea how much of that IP is shared.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited July 2014
    We are not privy to the contract between Sony and Nikon so we have no idea how much of that IP is shared.

+1 100% I agree. But can we agree there is more than 0% shared and that each company has some proprietary stuff in the mix too? I agree we will never know the true mix, but there is IP from each company (and likely a dozen others that is being licenced in the design).

Not sure why we are on this thread and not the D9300 one. I think Nikon has decided three digits=FX four=DX going forward. There will never be a D400 but we have a D9300 soon. I hope though it is a D400 in spirit: Fagship Pro DX.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    It all comes down to what sensor this D9300 is to have, which is why the topic came up in the first place.
  • limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
    Wow I am at a loss. I was not into photography when the D300 was born but it does seem like it was and in some ways still is an instant classic. I currently own a D5200 and am at the point now that people are asking me for services and I would love to shortly be at the point that I could supply people with what they are asking for. I have been studying and shooting now for appox. 2 years, and when I say shoot and study, it is a daily effort that is taken very serious. I am now what I feel to be very competent at what I need to be, but each day will still be spent learning and practicing. It is what I would consider an addiction. It is an all encompassing activity that constantly challenges me to be better. Now enough about me. I see so much about the d300 successor and I am now hearing about a D900 and from what I am reading it seems that in the next year or so that many needed functions and new innovations will be added to future bodies. I am curious and would like to ask, I currently have enough to buy a D810 but am waiting due to the aforementioned details. What would be the benefit of owning a "D400"? over lets say a D900, I do understand the benefits of DX and FX, just wondering what I should expect. I shoot still life, flowers, water, landscapes, portraits, art, basically My eyes lead me to the shot and that's it. I am not a big bird guy, or sports shooter, but would like have the ability to do it. What I am asking is, How long will you guys wait? and for what? I have my D5200 and I can capture more then I ever imagined with it, but I want to upgrade but not for the sake of saying I did, I want to do it right, for the right camera and Like I did with the 5200 when I first got it, I do not want to wish I had saved to buy the 7100. Sorry long post, take it as you will, just looking for input and ideas. DX or FX where is it all going and when??
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Figure out what lenses you want or can afford. Once you figure that out, you can think about which format/camera to buy.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Not sure why we are on this thread and not the D9300 one. I think Nikon has decided three digits=FX four=DX going forward. There will never be a D400 but we have a D9300 soon. I hope though it is a D400 in spirit: Fagship Pro DX.
    +1...amen. Lets kill this forum and move continue in the D9300 forum.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I shoot still life, flowers, water, landscapes, portraits, art, basically My eyes lead me to the shot and that's it. I am not a big bird guy, or sports shooter, but would like have the ability to do it.
    Go with the 810. Your benefit from moving into full frame for the majority of what you do will outweigh any benefit from the tele-shooting powerhouse the 9300/400 will be.
    Lets kill this forum and move continue in the D9300 forum.
    It would help if Nikon would announce or leak something about the 9300 to keep hope alive...
    :P
    Here is a provocative thought:
    -Model Number: D400
    -Release date: March 2016
    -Format: FX
    -Price: $1,000
    -Body style: FX version of D3500
    I think there will be a D400....

• Go with the 810. Your benefit from moving into full frame for the majority of what you do will outweigh any benefit from the tele-shooting powerhouse the 9300/400 will be.

:P
    So true, except, the bag of DX lenses become useless.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    What would be the benefit of owning a "D400"? over lets say a D900,
    D400 used to be the name of the desired and expected "D300S successor".
    D900 is nothing but a so-far-unused 3 digit name, so just forget about it.
    The (probably renamed) D400 will excel for birders and sports shooters (if it ever appears). It sounds like the D810 will be much more for you.

D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited July 2014

So true, except, the bag of DX lenses become useless.
    All Nikon DX lenses are F mount, the D810 is also F mount
    Put a Dx lens on a D810 and it will automatically mask the view finder to DX
    You DX lenses will retain their S/H value and can be sold as you buy FX glass
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    I know Sevencrossing, I did this with my 18-200mm on my D600, the results ..... nah, spoiled by FX glass. Selling is no option, I have a D300 and D70, so my grand daughter still use them and the price you get for it is too low. I think I 'am not alone in this, at the end it's always money.

FX with FX lenses for me, the difference in IQ is even too big to compare. It is something like buying a super audio system with bad boxes.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    It is something like buying a super audio system with bad boxes.
    Good analogy
    in both cases, from time, it is better to sell or give away all your old kit and start all over again
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited July 2014
    @limeblu

Welcome to the forum…. you have asked a lot of questions. IMO, if you hang around for a month or two, read some of the opinions expressed, then think about changing camera bodies, lenses, etc., you may make a more informed decision. You are the only one who can decide and there will be some on the forum who will support your direction and some who will oppose….

For me, I was looking for a "D400" but have since abandoned this in favor of a used D800E to join my D4. I now can use the D800E in crop mode, or for landscapes or scenes which may benefit from all the pixels of the FX mode, I can use it in full frame.

I have no concerns about FPS as the D4 covers this. But, a used D800/E or new D810 would be a very good primary camera body if one had a D5200 backup. Slowly one can obtain the full frame lenses, but if I were just starting I would have the Sigma 35 or 50mm f/1.4 Art lens as my first purchase. Incredibly sharp and fast.

My thoughts in regards the "D400" are that as has been suggested, Nikon is using the DXXX for full frame and the D300s replacement will be a D9XXX. Whether this has the "pro" ergonomics of the D300s/D4/D800 bodies, or if it has controls like a D7100….who knows? Time will tell, but for now just listen to all the very experienced folks on NRF who are more than willing to share opinions.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited July 2014
    @ limeblu
    the D810 has one very very big advantage over the D400 and the D9300

The D810 exists and is based on the excellent D800 and D800E. The D400 and the D9300 are currently figments of imagination
    For flowers, water, landscapes, portraits, art, The D810 (with the appropriate lenses e.g. a 16-35 f 4 vr and a 105 f2.8 Macro ) is unbeatable and is likely to remain so for at least 2 years
    Dx has only one big advantage over FX, it is cheaper
    So you choice is dependent on you budget

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    @ limeblu
    the D810 has one very very big advantage over the D400 and the D9300
    The D810 exists and is based on the excellent D800 and D800E
    even if the D9300 does eventual comes out later this year
    For flowers, water, landscapes, portraits, art, The D810 (with the appropriate lenses e.g. a 16-35 f 4 vr and a 105 f2.8 Macro ) is likely to be better
    Dx has only one big advantage over FX, it is cheaper
    So you choice is dependent on you budget

..and a little lighter and the pixel density is a little higher for people obsessed with that.

But generally I agree with you, the only real advantage is it is cheaper.
    edited July 2014
    A little lighter? Try carrying 1000mm f5.6 equiv FX vs DX more than a couple of Km, or handhold it for a few hours.

For flowers, water, landscapes, portraits, art, The D810 (with the appropriate lenses e.g. a 16-35 f 4 vr and a 105 f2.8 Macro ) is likely to be better

This is purely subjective. Go take this up on the DX vs FX thread.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    A little lighter? Try carrying 1000mm f5.6 equiv FX vs DX more than a couple of Km, or handhold it for a few hours.

This is purely subjective. Go take this up on the DX vs FX thread.
    Yes it is a well worn argument that is on the DX vs FX thread. Suffice to say, I stand by my position and will buy FX any day of the week over DX. I have my DX (Coolpix A) because it fits in my pocket. I happens to take great landscapes (see below), but I would have left in my pocket if I had my D800 with my manual focus 28mm 2.8 at that time.

Jenny Lake
    I stand by my position and will buy FX any day of the week over DX
    Then please refrain from posting on a thread where we are discussing the merits of a proposed DX camera :P
This discussion has been closed.