D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    "These are aspects where Nikon simply must put out a competitive product."
    Why? FPS is more important to you than IQ? Lil flippy touch screens are more important to you than IQ? Am I the only one not noticing than canon is dancing around the thing they should be worried about improving the most.... IQ.. a better sensor, DR, color bits. etc...

To me at the end of the day it comes down to IQ and it's pretty sad when Nikons lowest model has a better sensor than all but 2 of canons models lmfao

All you bitching about nikon just barely adding stuff... at least they're increasing IQ and bringing features down features from higher models, ya know things that help produce better images... switch to a canon and you'll get new flippy screens and anything and everything else except better IQ.

Canons acting a lot like Microsoft did and that should scare canon users
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    ... Am I the only one ...
    I totally agree that Nikon (Sony, Renesas, whatever) sensors are superior to Canon, and that Canon has i bigger problem than Nikon.
    But Canon shoots more pictures than Nikon (pro as well as amateur) so we have to accept that the sensor is only the decisive factor for a minority of people, including pros.
    All cameras take good pictures, more or less.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    My two bits....

I feel that the debate between who is better, when framed around the relative merits of the camera, misses the point.

To me, all a camera is is a photon detector attached to the true determinant of IQ, the lens.

Sure, some cameras are better than others. However, any legitimate and reasoanble IQ complaint about a camera will be addressed in the next generation.

Glass however, that is multi-generational.

Who produces the best lens is another thread.

My focus on IQ from a lens perspective is also why my glass is almost exclusively primes.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Interesting, is this one of ours?

Nikon Roadmap Timeline - Rumors - Future launching - UPDATED Q2 2014
    Interesting, is this one of ours?
    He definitely reads NR.
    Wouldn't it be safe to add a D5400, btw.? (well, wrong thread ...)
    D300, J1
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Looks like the D300s has the age record.
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    edited May 2014
    Looks like the D300s has the age record.
    Especially if you don't consider the "s" a significant improvement.
    I gave in yesterday and got a D7100. Compared to my D300 it feels like a toy (much lighter, somewhat smaller and can't be used for self-defense). Controls are okay I guess. The feature set rocks.

EDIT: Also, I don't mind the short buffer. 1 second of full burst is enough for me.
    Post edited by Kuv on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

Any one still waiting ???
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I would buy one tomorrow if Nikon would sell it to me. I think the discussion moved here:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2672/d9300-all-discussions
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    I still want one. I check here every day for a glimmer or hint.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited June 2014
    My D300s successor is now called a D800E….. used with about 8,000 clicks. I will be shooting in the 30×20mm image area (1.2X Factor), 30×24mm image area (5:4), and DX Crop, 24×16mm image area (1.5X Factor. Occasionally I will use the full frame, but as the ergonomics are so similar to my D4, I decided a used D800E in pristine condition (From a friend) and one I had actually used for a couple shots in the past, was the way to go. Admittedly, I may not have the very latest processor, and very latest sensor technology, but, as the camera is far above my ability level, these are not of any concern.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    I guess when you have a D4 using a D800E as your beater crop sensor makes sense? :-?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    First time I every heard of someone buying a D800e specifically for the purpose of shooting in crop sensor mode. Let us know how it works out.
    My D300s successor is now called a D800E….. used with about 8,000 clicks. I will be shooting in the 30×20mm image area (1.2X Factor), 30×24mm image area (5:4), and DX Crop, 24×16mm image area (1.5X Factor. Occasionally I will use the full frame, but as the ergonomics are so similar to my D4, I decided a used D800E in pristine condition (From a friend) and one I had actually used for a couple shots in the past, was the way to go. Admittedly, I may not have the very latest processor, and very latest sensor technology, but, as the camera is far above my ability level, these are not of any concern.
    I really like the 5:4 aspect ratio.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2014
    "WestEndBoy"
    I really like the 5:4 aspect ratio.

Same here, I often crop to 5 x4 in post but I cant see much advantage in doing it in camera

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    I also really like the 1:1 aspect ratio. I think that I use both more than 3:2.
    @WEB, you are such a square =))
    Here is a provocative thought:
    -Model Number: D400
    -Release date: March 2016
    -Format: FX
    -Price: $1,000
    -Body style: FX version of D3500
    Here is a provocative thought:
    -Model Number: D400
    -FX version of D3500
    +1 for the thought, but obviously not for the product.
    Btw, rumors about the Canon 7D successor seem to be accelerating, while rumors about D9300 are totally absent..
    However, from the positive side, if the D9300 is really the real deal, its firmware and many, many parts will most likely be more or less identical to those of the D810. And now that D810 will be made in Thailand, they'll probably be made on exactly the same assemply line. I think this makes a lot of sense.
    D300, J1
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    My friend has the 7D and because there is a fair bit of friendly competition between us, I feel qualified to say the 7D has some great features on the interface, a quieter shutter, much better fps for BIF and sport, possibly better AF tracking and bigger buffer, but the D7100's IQ beats the 7D by miles.
    This is spot on, but the AF-tracking is pretty good on the 7100; the AF probably is limited by the lens used on either of these cameras.
    rumors about the Canon 7D successor seem to be accelerating, while rumors about D9300 are totally absent..
    Lately Nikon has been putting out a lot of camera bodies compared to Canon. One could look at this either that Canon is about to unleash a bunch of camera bodies, or that Nikon will continue to release camera bodies as that is their new strategy...just keep em coming...and hopefully a top end DX joins the release party.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon has had a steady flow of new sensors from Sony, Aptina etc, while Canon has been sitting on old, warn out sensor tech since 2009. Canon is in a do or die situation, they had to come up with something new sensor wise.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Rumor is Canon will release a new top of the line crop sensor in September. Perhaps that is when we will also see Nikon's top of the line DX sensor.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Don't you mean Sony or Toshiba's newest sensor? Nikon doesn't actually make sensors themselves, they have no fabs to do so.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
This discussion has been closed.