Photo-A-Day: March 2015

Comments

• itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    edited March 2015
    DavidJaan said:
    "Natasha by David Jaan, on Flickr"

I went back and looked at all your postings this month. All pluses... +8 8 9 8 4 2 6 5, not one -(minus) in all your postings this month, so I'm at a loss to try and understand your remarks about people not liking your pictures. What am I missing here? To me there dose not seem to be a problem. One thing I do agree with there are a lot of places to post your images. I think all pluses indicates your work is liked.
    It's the 2 one - it has a +2 and a minus 2. I only vote plus. I have no issue with the pose on that shot on the basis of taste, it does look a little bit awkward and uncomfortable IMHO, but I don't think it falls out of tastefulness. I don't vote minus at all if I'm honest.
    Post edited by itsnotmeyouknow on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Underpass architecture DDP Building in Seoul.

Neofuturistic
  • nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    Last one of the Squirrels, next will be some from Jamaica.
    untitled-5486.jpg
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    DavidJaan said:
    "Seeing as the last image I posted has a couple (-1)s, if there's anyone that has a problem with the content I post here please let me know so I refrain from offending anyone. While I love the community here, I know what I shoot isn't for everyone and the internet is a giant place where I can share elsewhere. "

I hope my comments do not add fuel to this topic and take it down a negative path. I personally do not think you need to add the comment above. It sounds like you are apologizing for your work. I personally think you should post you work and let the Admin and Moderators determine if it is inappropriate. I personally like your work and enjoy your creativity. I think it also invites the person(s) to use the -1 button.

@WestendFoto I think we consider how we respond about the -1 postings. Being critical of another person expressing their opinion whether you agree with it or not and being critical of their portfolio I personally find a little over the top. Unfortunately, we live in a world that allows people to make comments without having to look the person in the eye when making the comment. Whether it is here or on any social media site or a text message on your phone. This is not going to change but how we respond to it will provide them fuel to continuing do the unwanted behavior or they will find it boring that no one responds and they go somewhere else to post their negativity.

Sincerely....Victor
  • flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    Probably my last shot from the beach exploration.
    Mirrored
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    Hoge Veluwe
    I love this good job !

PS re that image with the -2, I was a bit uncomfortable with it.. but I dont "-" it.. its the job of the moderators.. to police stuff like that.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• gene_mcgillgene_mcgill Posts: 395Member
    Another Black-capped Chickadee

D8E_3119

D800E, AF-S 80-400, 400mm, ISO 800, 1/160 sec, f/5.6
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited March 2015
    Personally, I think the Negative thing is unfortunate in that it doesn't discern whether the individual is truly offended by the photo or if he/she thinks there's something technically wrong with the photo. I find it hard to believe that someone would visit this sight "daily" and choose to point out things that offended them. Why come back? Life and photography are much more than nature and landscapes but if one chose to live life with blinders on then good luck with that.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    _DSC2852
    D800 | 70-200 | 140mm | f/22 | 1/15s | ISO 100 | +1/3 EV
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Our Late Dog Delilah

Delilah
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    The minus 2 photo. First, don't let a minus hurt your feelings. People have personal preferences and that's fine. Someone's difference preference does not invalidate your preference. In fact, the best artists see things ordinary people don't see. Second, I don't like the pose because I think the placement of the legs is awkward making the model look like one of the little people because those legs seem to be too short compared to the rest of her body. Not an elegant pose.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited March 2015
    The minus 2 photo. First, don't let a minus hurt your feelings. People have personal preferences and that's fine. Someone's difference preference does not invalidate your preference. In fact, the best artists see things ordinary people don't see. Second, I don't like the pose because I think the placement of the legs is awkward making the model look like one of the little people because those legs seem to be too short compared to the rest of her body. Not an elegant pose.
    Not that I want to belabor this, but an anonymous -1 with no additional comments, such as you've provided here doesn't help David (nor anyone else who's trying to learn). Those of us who have been here long enough (you and I included) know that David as of several months ago totally changed his style — a real risk for an artist. Now I'm not saying we have to provide him or anyone else with validation every time he posts something, but if you don't like an image, put your name to your critique. I agree that his work is dark these days, to the point that it sometimes makes me uncomfortable (but isn't that the point of art?), and that's fair. It's one thing to put a -1 on a comment because you think someone's being an asshat (and maybe I'll get a few for this post), but we're all putting it out there, which I can tell you is a scary thing. It took me well over a year of looking from the outside in before I had the guts to post my own work on this forum. In fact, I never showed anyone anything I did online until about 5 years ago. If someone's going to open up in such a profoundly personal way by displaying their art, we should have the courtesy to at least say why we don't like something so he, and others, can get better at this. Isn't that the point of this exercise?

(David, sorry if I'm embarrassing you.)

Post edited by proudgeek on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    there is a reason social media sites don't have a un-like button.

This is not a critique thread and if we can't moderate the -1 and you decide to do a -1 dont bother putting your critique. The poster didn't ask for critique. We have a critique thread for that. Feel free to add your constructive critique there and if your heart desires add a -1 since the poster asked for it.
  • Flash800Flash800 Posts: 148Member
    Making a balloon lighter than air is tricky business. Zoom in and look at the faces on the two men heating the balloon. ya, I know is out of focus a little. -- Enjoy -- (all ratings are welcomed)
    Hot Air Balloon Fest, University of Phoenix

Click Large View
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    More Amaryllis
    DSC_1382
    |D750|105|1/60 F9|ISO 100|
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Most PAD photos are linked to Flicker and I have sometimes used that link to leave comments on the flicker site.
  •  DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
    edited March 2015
    Wow, I didn't expect to spark such a response for my previous posting. This issue has been discussed here before and shut down because it takes the thread too far off topic.

I think we need a place to discuss it a bit further, but can also spark some interesting discussion based around it. I'd like to formulate a thread and I'll edit this post with a link to it when I do. Thanks to all for their thoughts and support.

Here's the link to the thread: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4102/a-representation-of-us-the-1-affair
    I guess not.

Back on track, another of Natasha.

Natasha
    Post edited by DavidJaan on
  • amanaman Posts: 160Member
    Msmoto
    I was there 3 years ago when I shot this.
    I think it's one of those great spots to shoot from,
    It is ironic.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    This picture lacks something, like a person walking through the frame, but I still like it.
    D750 | 35mm f/1.8 DX in FX mode | f/1.8 | 1/1250 sec | ISO 100
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    The Jeongwol Daeboreum Field-Burning Festival, also known as the Jeju Fire Festival, has secured its position as one of the major festivals representing Jeju:

This discussion has been closed.