PHOTO-A-DAY: February 2013

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
edited February 2013 in Photo-a-day
I don't know about you guys, but it's already February here...

Tuilleries-1

D700 20-35 @ 20mm 1/125s f/8 ISO 200
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Yeh and you started with a nice one.

The Dutch landscape last week, but now it is raining and raining and r....

Winter-0470.jpg

D600, 70-200 f/2.8, 1/1000 - f/5.6
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Well, it would appear the mods are asleep....actually the stuffed animals from my website do all my work here so...
    Post only ONE photo per 24 Hours, please. And, it seems to work best to post a 640px size.
    Use instructions on
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day/p1
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • DanPhotoDanPhoto Posts: 11Member
    A Roman church near Poitiers (France)
    Roman church near Poitiers
    Please check the January PAD for some nice photos of those who cannot read the calendar.
    Msmoto, mod
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
    edited February 2013
    Darn it's already February :-(
    _DSC2430
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    edited February 2013
    And, more of the NAIAS

NAIAS 2013
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    A touch of vertigo on this old staircase in Nagoya Japan:

Stairmaster
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    January was a difficult month for me , no ideas, no subjects, no light. Good news is that it can only improve in the months to follow, right?
    Here is what the Atlantic looks like if it gets cold in January. Kris, this is our local Bird sanctuary.

_DSC2227
  • BlueRidgeBlueRidge Posts: 4Member
    edited February 2013
    Looking out of Twin Tunnel #2 through the Ice on the Blue Ridge ParkwayLooking out of Twin Tunnel #2 on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Nikon D600 with 50mm f/1.8G
    Post edited by BlueRidge on
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    msmoto, didn't know there were mountains there at the autoshow!

One of the natural processes that typifies Death Valley is erosion. Yep, with just 2" of average annual precipitation, the Park is an erosion freak's dream. Here a small butte shows off the results:
    Got Erosion?
    @ Yetibuddha...Oh, yes, a very large auditorium. Nice shot above.... you must be out all the time with the great stuff you post.

@ BlueRidge..... This looks like a place called "The road to nowhere" in North Carolina near Bryson City. nice!

@ Benji2505....you must be somewhere up north, huh? I have never seen the Atlantic frozen....
    Msmoto, mod
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Benji, your not that far away from me.. You should come down and shoot Ospreys this summer...

Eye to the Sky
    Red Tail Hawk Vs The Bunny 3
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Note: When in Jerusalem, buy the packaged nuts only. The birds that lived in this open air market appeared to eat very well.
    _DSC0665
    D90 | 24-70 | 70mm | f/5 | 160s | ISO 800 | + 1/3 EV
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    Worth viewing if you are interested in seeing what can be done with far lesser cameras than we have.

http://mobilephotographyblog.com/
  • HenryG87HenryG87 Posts: 11Member
    Ju Lee
    Nikon D7000 & 85mm 1.8D
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Ah well, try again in the right thread: This is the most difficult shot I've ever taken - the wind was gusting so hard that at one point I thought that I along with all my gear was going to cartwheel backwards. I had my full camera bag hanging on my heavy tripod and had to hold the bag with one leg to stop it blowing right out sideways and pulling the tripod over. By the time I had finished, I couldn't speak because my face was so numb from windchill and I couldn't actually press the shutter button with any certainty. It is proven - we are mad!

Barrier colour
    Always learning.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Benji, your not that far away from me.. You should come down and shoot Ospreys this summer...

WE'll do this, if look at these pictures, a wide angle should be plenty
    ;)
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Nice stuff, all. February's starting off with a bang. =D>
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • ZSChowZSChow Posts: 72Member
    A bit of a portrait practice session with my friend :)

Diego The Boss
    Don't try, don't know, so I keep trying.
  • EricEric Posts: 6Member
    Wow, its been a while for me here. Finally got out the camera and went to Mare Island Navel Ship yard in Vallejo CA. This is (I believe) an old barracks.
    Mare Island 1
    @ ZSChow

If this is practice, I would suggest not cutting off any body parts in a portrait. Try to include all of him. And, practice is how we make progress... keep up the good work.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It's been a little dull in Vancouver lately, kind of makes you feel the way this image looks.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ZSChowZSChow Posts: 72Member
    @ ZSChow

If this is practice, I would suggest not cutting off any body parts in a portrait. Try to include all of him. And, practice is how we make progress... keep up the good work.
    Thanks Msmoto for the hint :) I'm relatively new to the portrait side of things (never had the confidence to approach it) and I'm looking to really improve over the next few months. Considering getting a couple of stands, umbrellas and softboxes to work with, too.

Don't try, don't know, so I keep trying.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    edited February 2013
    "suggest not cutting off any body parts in a portrait" Agreed, this is what I always thought. BUT then why am I seeing so many tops of heads cut off in headshots? Is't that cutting off a body part? I notice even Peter Hurley does this.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Very good stuff!

Body parts are general cropped somewhere other than at joints - but then there's always exceptions.

I saw this during computer housekeeping today - an old Kodachrome from 30 years or so that I duped in the last year or so. Likely shoot with an F2 or F3 and a 105mm Micro Nikkor (I still have the lens). Exposure and shutter not recorded nor remembered.

If you're going to shoot the Ospreys, you have to eat them, and they taste terrible.

My best,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.