PHOTO-A-DAY: February 2013

Comments

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited February 2013
    OK, Pippigurl. Whats up? You've posted pictures taken with a D7000, a D600, and now a D800. Did you win the lottery or have you been hanging out with donaldejose? X_X
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    D300, AF-S 300mm F4D IF-ED + TC14E | ISO800, 1/800, F5.6
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Fightnight in Kuala Lumpur

Here is my share of the day!
    It was shot through the cage, D4, ISO 4000, 70-200 + TC 17E II. Distance to the cage was roughly 30 meters. Shot more than 2000 pics there last night, mostly in AF C. The latest Nikon firmware update works fine :-)
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @darkslide: You really like those vanishing point perspectives - so do I.

@all: This forum has a high standard lately.
    Always learning.
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    Donald's wife liked my cake! :)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Lying is as bad as stealing....LOL

I love old trains and especially the old observation cars. From The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.
    The Henry Ford

And, I like the large size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/8409128432/sizes/o/in/photostream/
    Msmoto, mod
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2013
    The images continue to be so nice on PAD. But, one of the toughest venues is the "through the wires" and Juergen nailed this one. Also, the impossible lighting situation, nice Bland. Macros, wildlife and architectural's...love 'em all.

A note on posting...Use the 640 pixel size. Then it will link to the larger images on Flickr. For reasons I do not understand, a resized image does not always link to Flickr and the really large sizes available.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Here is one inspired by Rifqi -thanks for the idea.

JD 02-02-2013
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the comments on Flickr and PAD about the Death Valley series. I had a great time there!

A photo of a peak in the Sierras. Might be Mt. Whitney, maybe someone knows:
    A Sierra Peak near Lone Pine
    Post edited by Yetibuddha on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Yes. That is Whitney. BTDT, GTTS. Awesome shot. Looks like you were on the back side, on a road?
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • RifqiRifqi Posts: 130Member
    Nice benji, always good to know one can provide some inspiration.

Shot this earlier today of the muppet. She wasn't really in the mood to pose but after with the promise of some jelly I got a couple of shots from her.

Alyzza
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited February 2013
    pippigurl: She said your cake reminded her of something she loved in childhood called "monkeybread." It is made with balls of dough, butter, sugar and cinnamon. Have you ever heard of this monkeybread her grandmother used to bake for her? It might be a southern thing.

Rx4Photo: Some people like paying with different lenses. I like playing with different bodies and using them for different uses. It is just interesting to me. I don't sell my old bodies when I "move up" to something with "later and greater" technology. I give them away to "deserving people' among friends and relatives but find too few of them these days. I thought I would love the D600 and I do for its lightness but all my extra time is now taken by a project of photographing a season of High School basketball and I find the D800 works much better for that (for me at least). The issue is the D600 autofocus. It is both too small and too slow causing me to miss too many shots. I find I do better shooting the D800 on medium size to keep the file size down rather than shooting the D600 on large size. That surprised me and I would never have thought so if I didn't have both bodies in my bag to shoot back to back and see the difference.

DON_5673
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member
    edited February 2013
    Wilson Bridge over the Potomac River, Washington, DC

Woodrow Wilson Bridge
    Nikon D7000
    Tokina 12-24 f/4
    ISO 200
    24mm
    f/11
    1/400
    Handheld
    Post edited by cbg on
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited February 2013
    @ donaldejose. I'm totally in line with you here. I've got all the lenses to cover everything I'd like to shoot but I'm still looking closely at that new Sigma 35mm f/1.4. BTW, you absolutely nailed focus on that shot above. I like how the ball is frozen in hand.
    All of these photos deserve commendation.

Looks like I've managed to do what Coastalconn is an expert at...only with a bee...and less sharp.
    Headed Your Way
    Nikon D800, Micro Nikkor 105mm @ f/5.0 ; 1/8000sec ; ISO 4000.
    Post editing: Noise reduction, exposure increase, sharpness enhanced in LR4.

Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• dissentdissent Posts: 1,338Member
    Just felt like some warm, blue sky today.

Milwaukee Art Museum 1

D5100, 18-200mm, 18mm, 1/400, f10, ISO 200, tweaked a little in LR
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    Donaldjose...that's exactly what it is...shortcut but good.
    Orchid

Nikon D800 | Nikkor 105 micro f/2.8 | 2.5 f/22 | ISO 100
    Looks like you're enjoying your new camera Pippi, lovely DoF and nicely sharp for f22.
    Always learning.
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Ironheart, I was just south of Lone Pine, on the highway to Death Valley
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Crazy work schedule, I see I missed some great shots! I finally had a chance to go out today...
    Can never get enough shutter speed to freeze these Hooded Mergansers, but got the eye sharp on this one..
    Hooded Merganser lift off
  •  DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
    Awesome shots already only a few days into February! Left comments on Flickr.

Went out back to an old wood pile for this capture.

Wood Pile
  • El_PickerelEl_Pickerel Posts: 18Member
    edited February 2013
    Nothing I am showing for composition, but in trying to find neat things to shoot my 70-200 through slots in an old stable, I was really interested in seeing the out-of-focus areas produced by different gaps. You can see the edges of the vertical slit here, and that provided a much smaller effective aperture. Since the aperture wound up being a long, narrow rectangle instead of a circle, the background / foreground objects stayed relatively focused across the frame, while blurring out vertically. The focus here is on the fencepost. (Yes, I am easily distracted / amused.)

G01_6685
    Post edited by El_Pickerel on
    Wow, that's an early poppy there Ian, it must be temperate in your area. Nice to see - I can kid myself it is May already...
    Always learning.
    Drat my stupidity for not spotting that the stainless steel bollard was in this shot. My excuse was that my left hand was holding a flash at waist height and my right was holding the camera so that is already one thing more than I can normally do :P

Canary Wharfe art
    Always learning.
This discussion has been closed.