Death of F-mount DX Challenge

12345679»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 1,743Member
    Oh there's zero chance for any more truly new F mount DX lenses. Last one came out in 2017. I suppose there's a slight chance of a new version of an existing lens, for cost cutting reasons etc. but I think that's very unlikely.

I'm not convinced there will be any more FX F mount lenses either. I know Nikon has said they will continue to support it blah blah blah but I'll believe it when I see it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,285Member
    Yeah, doubt we are going to see any more F-mount lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if they officially discontinued any remaining D series glass. Surely none of those have been made in the last 10 years anyway, its likely all old stock.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,446Member
    PB_PM said:

Yeah, doubt we are going to see any more F-mount lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if they officially discontinued any remaining D series glass. Surely none of those have been made in the last 10 years anyway, its likely all old stock.

I agree, but I will only be a little surprised if we do.

For bodies however, I expect to see a D880 which I will buy and a D7. 50/50 on a D790 and D890. I think it is the end of the line for DX including a D500 successor. I don't expect a D500 success with the Z mount too.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 1,743Member
    I think there will be a D880 but that's it.

Anyone know how well the D780 is selling?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,163Member
    On a bit of a side note, I'm glad I never decided to pick up a 4/3 or m4/3 camera. The 4/3 cameras were brand new when I decided to pick up the D40. One mount is dead, but at least the other is a zombie for the near future.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,446Member
    edited October 12
    I should have also started an F-mount FX is Dead thread too. Can you imagine the controversy that would have created.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,163Member
    Hind sight is 20/20!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 938Member
    The fx mount is the old mount and there will not be much research and development. But I have a feeling that Nikon will continue to produce a small number of cameras and lenses, and maybe make small updates, for quite a long time. Just because I think there will be customers. They might even make a film camera again. But I am just guessing.