Death of F-mount DX Challenge

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Oh there's zero chance for any more truly new F mount DX lenses. Last one came out in 2017. I suppose there's a slight chance of a new version of an existing lens, for cost cutting reasons etc. but I think that's very unlikely.

I'm not convinced there will be any more FX F mount lenses either. I know Nikon has said they will continue to support it blah blah blah but I'll believe it when I see it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yeah, doubt we are going to see any more F-mount lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if they officially discontinued any remaining D series glass. Surely none of those have been made in the last 10 years anyway, its likely all old stock.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    PB_PM said:

Yeah, doubt we are going to see any more F-mount lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if they officially discontinued any remaining D series glass. Surely none of those have been made in the last 10 years anyway, its likely all old stock.

I agree, but I will only be a little surprised if we do.

For bodies however, I expect to see a D880 which I will buy and a D7. 50/50 on a D790 and D890. I think it is the end of the line for DX including a D500 successor. I don't expect a D500 success with the Z mount too.
    I think there will be a D880 but that's it.

Anyone know how well the D780 is selling?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    On a bit of a side note, I'm glad I never decided to pick up a 4/3 or m4/3 camera. The 4/3 cameras were brand new when I decided to pick up the D40. One mount is dead, but at least the other is a zombie for the near future.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited October 2020
    I should have also started an F-mount FX is Dead thread too. Can you imagine the controversy that would have created.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    Hind sight is 20/20!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    The fx mount is the old mount and there will not be much research and development. But I have a feeling that Nikon will continue to produce a small number of cameras and lenses, and maybe make small updates, for quite a long time. Just because I think there will be customers. They might even make a film camera again. But I am just guessing.
    mhedges said:
    It makes sense, the floor for low end DSLRs have fallen out as you can't charge Z50 prices for the same DSLR. I'm even doubtful that Nikon would make a D7500 replacement, although I damn sure would welcome one.
    NSXTypeR said:

mhedges said:
    It makes sense, the floor for low end DSLRs have fallen out as you can't charge Z50 prices for the same DSLR. I'm even doubtful that Nikon would make a D7500 replacement, although I damn sure would welcome one.
    True but the 3500 and 5600 cost quite a bit less than the Z50.

I wonder if this means a Z mount replacement (Z30?) is coming out.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The D7500 is EASILY my favorite DSLR. The D500 is also great, but the D7500 seems to handle EVERYTHING well. Despite my heavy usage of the Z50 and Z fc (far more so than my Z6 II), I do think the D7500 is a faster camera to use! I have bought two of them. One got wrecked during farm work. The other now is on my Nikon 200-500 F5.6 all the time. So I am NOT even sure I'd need an update to buy yet another! I could use that with the great 16-80 lens I have on my D7200.

I have two 16-80s, but one was pretty well totaled in the farm accident also as the lens was on the D7500 when a farm animal ran into to, got the strap somehow around the neck, and took off for a half mile. Eventually all the parts were located and the drops and spills was how I bought the next rig. That was the only drops and spills I ever bought. The D7200 is slower to deploy than the D7500. And the quality of the image seems the same.
    edited October 2021
    https://nikonrumors.com/2021/09/30/three-more-nikkor-f-mount-lenses-discontinued-80-400mm-12-24mm-dx-105mm-micro.aspx/

Not surprising for the 80-400 as it's super expensive for what it offered. The 12-24 DX being discontinued isn't surprising.

The 105mm macro I guess is a bit of a surprise.

That being said, I wonder if this is because of limitation of parts based on where lenses are being made.

How much longer is FX going to hang on?
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    It's a good question. Seems like the answer is - not all that much longer.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I think at this point the F-mount is done, it's just a matter of time before everything is discontinued. Maybe 2-4 years.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited October 2021
    It certainly looks like the F mount and all associated equipment may be experiencing an extinction level event. I'm not in a financial position to make a jump to mirrorless so even if I really wanted to, I'm probably married to F mount til death do us part.

So, I've been wondering about the market for used F-mount gear. Should we anticipate a wholesale rush to the Z mount leading to a glut in used F-mount equipment or are there enough folks unwilling to let their investment go for pennies on the dollar that they'll hold on and hope it becomes "classic" to maintain highish F-mount prices.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on

It certainly looks like the F mount and all associated equipment may be experiencing an extinction level event. I'm not in a financial position to make a jump to mirrorless so even if I really wanted to, I'm probably married to F mount til death do us part.

So, I've been wondering about the market for used F-mount gear. Should we anticipate a wholesale rush to the Z mount leading to a glut in used F-mount equipment or are there enough folks unwilling to let their investment go for pennies on the dollar that they'll hold on and hope it becomes "classic" to maintain highish F-mount prices.

While I am speculating, I don't think the f-mount is dead yet. I believe that there will be a D850 followup.

Can you imagine the controversy if I had named this thread "Death of F-mount" instead of "Death of DX". As it was, some of the responses were vitriolic.
    I think the last f mount models (whatever they happen to be) will hold their value ok, but the older stuff will drop in value pretty quick.

While I am speculating, I don't think the f-mount is dead yet. I believe that there will be a D850 followup.

Can you imagine the controversy if I had named this thread "Death of F-mount" instead of "Death of DX". As it was, some of the responses were vitriolic.
    To be fair when you made the thread there wasn't a Z mount anything so everything was speculation.
    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220713_18/

While Nikon announced they’re stopping DSLR development, I wonder if they have a few products to announce before they do away with DSLRs in general, something like a final edition F6 as a swan song to the film era.

But for all intents and purposes, the F mount is dead.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Unless there is a profit in it I think not
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Things have really changed since the start of this thread. Back then we thought DX would die and all new cameras would be FX simply because the cost differential was reduced. How wrong we were. Now even a 24 mp DX sensor is becoming passe and we will be seeing Z(double digit) bodies (like a Z70) with more than 30mp DX sensors. We once thought the 36mp D800 was amazing but now I expect we will soon be seeing 36mp DX sensors. The DX sensor size will live on far beyond what we had expected.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I always expected that the DX size sensor would be around for the foreseeable future. "DX and FX are going together !!"
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Yes I'm surprised at how much interest there still is in crop sensor. Especially given how there are now FF options available new for not much more money. And with the very limited number of dedicated crop sensor lenses out there folks will almost certainly wind up using some FF lenses anyway.

Wonder if this challenge is still on. Haven't seen WEF around here lately.