D850

Comments

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Posting these here for a reader who can't access Flickr. And for anyone else interested.
    mRaw with crop
    1 Large Raw

LRaw with crop
    1 Med Raw
    Photos above shot with Nikon 24-70G @70mm, 14 bit lossless compressed then cropped in ACR and converted to JPEG in PScc.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited September 2017
    WestEndFoto At the moment I have just 1 lens the 45 2.8 LS {29mm=35} which is for landscape work, No doubt others lenses will follow, Amazed at the difference , complete learning curb including Capture 10!
    Vipmediastar JZ Yes pre-order and a NPS member, made no difference.
    I am keeping my D810 for use with longer lenses and there is some photography which 35mm just works better.
    Having to use the tripod a lot more, and a general slowing down in Photography style which I don't mind, However 60mp are not forgiving! if you get it wrong.
    P1_2713
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Wow! That is quite a rig paulr!
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    ah...the Arca Swiss C1, correct? How do you like that? It is in my Wishlist at B&H and I have put it in my cart and then taken it out a few times. I have two RRS BH-55s, a RRS BH-40, Wimberley Mark II, along with the RRS Macro rails (which may now be obsolete due to the focus stacking on the D850). Can the Arca Swiss C1 do anything those cannot?
    Why did you get the 60mp back and not the 100mp Paulr? Cost?
    WestEndFoto The C1 can be both used in Landscape and Portrait position plus it has a 360 degree movement on both top and bottom Its a very precise instrument and yes I love it.
    The cost factor for the 100MP QI3 plus major file sizes The 60mp is 173MB so large enough.plus the size of the sensor .compared to 35mm. Only downside is cost of lenses, average cost is upwards of a D850 Body! !
    If anybody cares here are 3 photos, Large, Medium, and Small Raws to compare. Moderator can delete if not allowed.

D850 L, M, and S raw files.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Photography Life has a good review up which includes things not in other reviews, like focus stacking, and mRAW/sRAW with comparisons to downsampled D850 images and D750 images:

I would put the link, but my posts keep getting sent for approval or something...
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    Just received my D850 and started experimenting with it. Folks, I think it is really fantastic and if you can scrape together the cash I would encourage purchasing it (or save up for the mirrorless version of it). It is one of those times when a lot of small evolutionary things all work together to create a revolution: for most purposes it is the first DSLR that can "do it all" and at half the price of the D5. The D5 does still have some advantages for certain niches; such as perhaps shooing professional sports where you want the very best AF and fps available. But so few of us do that. Other than weighing more and using the "pro" controls, it is a better DX camera than the D500 because the viewfinder lets you see wider than the DX frame so you can see what is about to enter your frame when shooting action. Nikon should put that type of viewfinder on the D500 or you can sell your D500 and just use the D850 if you don't mind a bit of extra weight and size. It is great to have a silent shooting option BUT you have to hold the camera out in front of you to do so because you have to use the back LCD: not a position any of us want to use. Soon Nikon should produce a mirrorless body with the D850 "innards" and that will be a much better way to do silent shooting. Nikon should have a good next few years ahead which we will all be glad to see.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited September 2017

It is great to have a silent shooting option BUT you have to hold the camera out in front of you to do so because you have to use the back LCD: not a position any of us want to use. Soon Nikon should produce a mirrorless body with the D850 "innards" and that will be a much better way to do silent shooting. Nikon should have a good next few years ahead which we will all be glad to see.

How quiet are the Q/Qc modes with EFCS enabled?
    Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited September 2017
    Not much difference in Q mode. Still too loud for a church...
    Post edited by Killerbob on
    If you want stealth shooting you either have to shoot using the back LCD or you will have to wait for Nikon's mirrorless body. D850 shutter is not a quiet as the D810 shutter sound.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Possibly due to the higher frame rate requiring a mechanism with a design biased towards speed.

You pays your money...
    Always learning.
    Yes, just as the D5 shutter is nosier than the D810. Also, it seems the D810's mirror housing is plastic while the D850's is metal. Plastic might dampen sound more than metal. The best shutter for quiet shooting will be in Nikon's mirrorless bodies. Hope to see them out soon.
    In my hands. Slapped the 58 on it. Confirmed not DOA.
    I am getting 90 raw lossless compressed 14 bit shots in the buffer. Maybe because I can only shoot 7 fps - no grip yet. I am using a top of the line Lexar 32gb XQD.
    Quite mode is pretty quiet compared to my D800.
    Does anybody care to venture a guess on when Adobe will upgrade to work with the D850?
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I don't know Jeff, it can't come fast enough. it's getting irritating having to go through DNG Converter to use LR...
    According to the Adobe list the D850 is on with Photoshop CC version 9.12.1 not LR at this time
  • CirenSnapperCirenSnapper Posts: 102Member
    As Peter posted previously (and as I have heard direct from an excellent Adobe source) this month should see a completely new version of LR launched. I'm just hoping they don't hang back on incorporating the 850 via an update now and just wait for their new version to launch (including 850 support) instead. I can't remember how long the updates usually take, so it maybe just impatience, but the update seems to be due about now?
    From the DxOMark D850 sensor evaluation: "Against the Sony A7R II and Canon 5DS, the Nikon D850 offers an advantage at base ISO of around one stop against the Sony, and a massive 2.5-stop advantage over the Canon." Landscape shooters using Canon' 5DS (which Ken Rockwell called the world's best digital camera for nature, landscape and portrait photography in 2015) should switch to Nikon. It would be great to see Nikon gain market share after the release of the D850 and the soon to be released Nikon mirrorless bodies. I am thinking with their new BSI sensor technology Nikon can produce an even better high ISO sensor than the D5 sensor with fewer megapixels than the D850. I could get along just fine with a 12 to 16 mp FX sensor for most of what I do now. But 24mp would be fine also. Perhaps Nikon will now move to all BSI sensor and thereby gain a significant improvement in image quality and DxOMark scores.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    No No NO ...( to the 850) just read Hogans blog and smaller than 5.6 diffraaction is a problem as well as having to pull the SD card to keep the frame rate up/buffer.
    So NO NO NO