D850

Comments

• CirenSnapperCirenSnapper Posts: 102Member
    OK, further to earlier post, Clifton Cameras in UK have confirmed that I have camera and grip waiting for me at their store. This is good news as it appears stock is tight, especially on the grip. I will likely collect the goodies tomorrow (got to work today to pay for all this gear!). Should be a fun weekend!

(Thanks for the tip PistnBroke)
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited September 2017
    In case you guys didn't know you can use the D5/D4/s battery with the D8xx for the battery grip. I bought the original battery but I got a Wasabi 3rd party battery charger. So far it works great for a fraction of the cost.

So you will need the following in additon to the battery grip: Nikon EN-EL18b, Nikon BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover, Nikon MH-26aAK Adapter (300.00 for a battery charger? Nah get the 3rd party one)
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Duh PB-PM, you are right. I am going to buy a monopod from RRS. That would have dawned on me then.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    LOL - my Nikon D850, MB-D18, EN-EL18, BL-5, as well as a few Sony XQD cards, all shipped out today from my dealership in Copenhagen. They got 7, and as one of their loyal customer, and NPS, they called me on Monday to ask if I wanted one... Wasn't a hard decision:)

Now I just need to figure out what to do until Really Right Stuff releases an L-Plate, and how to charge the EN-EL18 batteries. Not a single shop in the kingdom of Denmark has the charger (MH-26) in stock... Also, for the wife not to explode when she sees the package arriving, I need to get a move on selling my good ol' trusty D800. The D810 I am keeping, but I do not need three cameras...
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I do not have one "yet" but have seen some real good reviews of the Watson Duo Charger.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I have a friend who is a professional photographer at a paper here, and he was gonna see if he didn’t have one spare lying around... I hope so...
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Killer Bob, wouldn't the charger from the D810 work with the D850 battery?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2017
    The EN-EL18 is the battery for the D4/5 (or the D850 grip), not the standard D850 battery.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Oh, I screwed up. Yes, you got the bigger battery. Check Amazon for a third party charger.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Dont the numbers being supplied sound pathetic ? 5 only 5 ? Still its only 5 to recall if its a problem .....Now stop being negative !!
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Check my post above. i got the wasabi charger at amazon for a low price
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Pow. I just pulled the trigger. I have been doing mostly video recently and just finished building an ROV system with an HD video recording and surface display for use in identifying and monitoring fish populations. But I'm looking forward to doing more macro work.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Below is the link to Steve Perry's web site for his unboxing of the D850 and menu set-up. Good video.
    https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-d850-unboxing-setup/

Enjoy
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I just watched the Apple "Special Event." I am happy I used my discretionary budget for an upgrade to a D850 instead of an iPhone X.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Symphotic said:

I just watched the Apple "Special Event." I am happy I used my discretionary budget for an upgrade to a D850 instead of an iPhone X.

Amen!
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I only use hand me down phones that are FREE. Currently an iphone 5s
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Ha-ha framer - I like your style. I buy unwanted upgrades from eBay for 60% of new and keep them for years and years.
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I buy the latest, newest Nikon toys. My phone is two generations old. My 18-year old CD changer just failed and I hate to pay to replace-update it. I guess I am both an early acceptor and a dinosaur. What ever works...
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    Expecting an 850 shortly (and the 58, 105 and 400 this afternoon). Still use a Blackberry.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Have you won the lottery WEF?
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    Nah, WEF is loaded. He could mostly likely buy 10 D850's and not even notice it, other than the space they'd take up in his house. ;)
    Loaded is relative. I just know what my priority is. It isn't boats or golf.

I was testing them for DOA (dead on arrival) on a so so tripod on a bouncy floor. Geez does that 400 jiggle. It will be a learning curve just to learn to hold it steady.
    edited September 2017
    Also bought all the teleconverters. It seems that they were made for the 400.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on

I was testing them for DOA (dead on arrival) on a so so tripod on a bouncy floor. Geez does that 400 jiggle. It will be a learning curve just to learn to hold it steady.

That is funny :) You really have a bad case of NAS. o:) Seriously nice equipment.

I followed a guideline for 20+ years, when a lens got to 5 or 6 years old, I sold it for the latest lens. Lots track of how many 50mm f/1.4 lens I owned over the years. :)

When SLRs were upgraded so did I. It really was easy, back in the 70's and 80's I would own a lens for 5 years and sell it for 80 to 90% of what I paid for it. Of course, inflation and the dollar to YEN had a lot to do with that.

Boats and golf have little to do with it, I wouldn't waste money on those either. People who can afford over $15k in camera gear in less than a year have either, a) a large disposable income... aka at least moderately well off, b) working pros, or c) up to their ears in debt. Take your pick. ;)

It's okay, I've spent way too much on camera gear over the years (at least $15k), but I learned my lesson. Spending tons of $$$$ won't make you better. If you want to buy the latest stuff and you have the money to, and you enjoy the newest gadgets, by all means. Otherwise it is a waste of money.