D850

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2017
    Since DR is in Hong Kong that's a mighty shipping bill, just to get it there. The extra cost of the body not gray market more than makes up for the hassle.

Be silly to order from them really. I did some check, DR wants $5100 Cdn for the D850, when Nikon Canada is only asking $4399 for a non-gray market. I guess it converts better in Europe.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    How can it be silly .....£3600 out your pocket at the shop in town or £2900 and get it in a couple of days ...??
    Try reading the entire post next time, Thanks.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Just did a price check. D850 is $3,400 in the US on Amazon. Digitalrev store's price is $3,700 US dollars. Something is wrong with how Nikon is pricing in different countries.
    I am only interested in the price in my hand in the UK. (£3600 v £2900)
    Nikon must pay import duty as japan is not in the EU and I must pay 20% tax.
    It is variations like this that cause international variations as well as nikons marketing policy.
    Try viewing with an international perspective next time .Thanks
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited September 2017
    Is there any reason why you quote £3600 for the D850 in the Uk All the official dealers are quoting £3499 and one company is selling at £3200 but not sure if the last one is official Nikon. Are you perhaps Pistnbroke, leaving a tip? to the dealer. LOL
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    "Nikon must pay import duty as japan is not in the EU and I must pay 20% tax." Thanks, that explains why prices are higher. I didn't realize the EU was so protectionist. Perhaps the price will fall after the UK leaves the EU? The 20% tax is stupid. Why reason does the UK give for such a tax?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    20% was a 'temporary' VAT hike from 15% some years ago. Typically of politicians, promises melted like ice and the 20% is still with us. 20% is standard in the rest of Europe. As we all know, taxes reducing are rare...
    Always learning.
    A 20% VAT is too high. In fact, all taxes are too high!
    *8%, 12.5%. 15%, 17.5% and then 20% Shush,Shush, They could put it up again !!!!
    We can all complain about VAT/GST etc, but the reality is without those taxes our roads would fall apart, bridges will crumble and public health care would go away. Heaven help us if we end up like the US.

Try viewing with an international perspective next time .Thanks

ROFL. I was, and if you'd read the post you would have known that, try again.
    ooooooo we are touchy.
    I just have no patients for people with read comprehension issues.
    "patience" not "patients" as in: I just have no patience for people with spelling issues. You must have been thinking of patients in the UK nationalized medicine system. LOL, just a joke, don't take it personal. We all make mistakes. Back to the subject. I hate to see the price of Nikon equipment so much more expensive in the EU and UK. Doesn't seem fair to me.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited September 2017
    Luckily enough we (in Europe) can just buy it from one of the many US merchants that are willing to ship directly to Europe, or from anyone of the others, via a MyUS account. Problem solved. The only thing I loose is one year of warranty, because the US warranty is one year, whereas the Danish one is two years...

On a different note, does anyone know how long it will be before Adorama or BHP will ship on orders made these days?
    Post edited by Killerbob on

"patience" not "patients" as in: I just have no patience for people with spelling issues. You must have been thinking of patients in the UK nationalized medicine system. LOL, just a joke, don't take it personal. We all make mistakes. Back to the subject. I hate to see the price of Nikon equipment so much more expensive in the EU and UK. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Haha. The heat wave must be messing with my head. Sorry everyone about getting off topic.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2017
    PB_PM said:

We can all complain about VAT/GST etc, but the reality is without those taxes our roads would fall apart, bridges will crumble and public health care would go away.

And yet there is a country with max 22% tax for income greater than 240K USD normal people is about 12%tax and 7% GST that has one of the best infrastructure programs and health services, education ...

Pretty Pictures of the place .... I will be visiting it next year .. should be fun with a new D850 !! :-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Singapore cannot really compared to most countries. Just like Liechtenstein, Monaco, Macao, etc. it is "only" a city-state, featuring a global financial center...
    Yes and all the cars even motorbikes have a meter on them so you pay to use the roads.....they do have a very good system of bomb shelters though ...
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

Yes and all the cars even motorbikes have a meter on them so you pay to use the roads.....they do have a very good system of bomb shelters though ...

And the ability to mobilize than a million citizens in their reserve armed forces into action in less than 24 hours.

Denver Shooter
  • CirenSnapperCirenSnapper Posts: 102Member
    Well, apparently,, today is the day. Clifton Cameras here in the UK phoned yesterday to confirm they are expecting my pre-ordered 850 at the store this afternoon. I am not NPS, so was surprised that I was on the list for delivery in the first batch to arrive. I will try and find out how many they were allocated, just out of interest.
    edited September 2017
    The manual became available today and the menu banks are SSDD . No lock on settings.

Cirensnapper ..sent you a private message re NPS
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    In the Uk Nikon NPS have informed me that 5 D850s will be sent to Nikon dealer companies , If dealers have many sub-branches the company has a whole will only get 5 not the branches Example Wex 5, Jessops 5 etc. All D850 cameras left the Netherlands today to go direct to the dealers.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    In Vancouver the first two shipments, one today and the other next week, is being taken up by NPS members (about 15). This is THE store that caters to professionals. The third shipment is unknown but maybe end of month. After one NPS member, I am number 6 on that.

The trick is the grip. Nikon has only promised one to them this month. I might be waiting two months for a grip, which will mean my new 400 2.8 will be of pretty limited use unless I want to get an RRS plate for the body that will collect dust after I get the grip.
    edited September 2017
    If you are using the 400 2.8, you'll be mounting it from the lenses tripod foot, so what difference does it make? Using a super tele while on a tripod socket from the body is a great way to warp the lens mount. Would never dream of using my 200-400 F4 that way.
    Post edited by PB_PM on