D850

Comments

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    ? the D4s was announced in Jan 2014, the D4 Jan 2012, the D3s the end of 2009, the D3x the end of 2008. certainly the beginning was a little shaky for the single digit D Nikon line, but I would think they would attempt to release this camera regularly now, if they've managed to do some semblance of regularity.

whether it is a significant technological improvement is anyone's guess.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    The D5 is not quite. The D810 is a whisper. If you are a wedding photographer, you will not want to trade that for a higher framerate.
    This is the best feature of the D810 IMHO. It is significant enough of an issue that Canon is reportedly working on making their shutters quieter as part of the selling points counter to Nikon. I wish Nikon would be more like a black Ninja... silent and precise with enough DR to operate in the dark.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    The D5 is not quite. The D810 is a whisper. If you are a wedding photographer, you will not want to trade that for a higher framerate.
    This is the best feature of the D810 IMHO. It is significant enough of an issue that Canon is reportedly working on making their shutters quieter as part of the selling points counter to Nikon. I wish Nikon would be more like a black Ninja... silent and precise with enough DR to operate in the dark.
    It is certainly a groundbreaking feature. The D810 in regular mode is quieter than the D800 in quiet mode. In quiet mode, it really is a ninja. I love your metaphor. If you are a customer that wants the photographer to be quiet, say for a wedding or a corporate event, it is a compelling reason to require your photographer to use a specific camera model. How many cameras can you say that about?

Personally, I really love the extra buffer size. I actually like the “clack” of my D800 for the same reason a race car driver likes to feel the rumble of his car’s engine. But the buffer size isn’t going to win me extra customers (if I was a professional photographer and not a hobbyist) and my D800’s “manly rumble” may annoy my customers.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Agreed the extra buffer would be nice. I'd love if the camera could capture at just 1 more frame per second even. Reasonable increase in mp perhaps as well but no more than the current 5d I think would be fine. I'd love if the re-fresh was made in Japan again too. I have had some issues with the build quality compared to pro bodies I have had in the past...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Do you mean 'issues' as in poor quality control, or 'issues' as in not as rugged. The first is to some extent a design issue and the latter is wholly a design issue. I expect both were designed in Japan.
    Always learning.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Any thoughts about the D820 having two XQD cards? It seems like they could clear some big files fast with exspeed 5. If it could have a D8200 little sister it would be a double knock out to the competition.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Any thoughts about the D820 having two XQD cards? It seems like they could clear some big files fast with exspeed 5.
    My first choice would be two SD UHSII as it would simplify logistics with my other cameras, but I would rather have two XQD than one of each because (in bckup mode) I would at least get some benefit from their speed.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Much of what is being discussed may be possible in 10 or 20 years, when I am in my nineties....LOL.. :))
    Msmoto, mod
    Much of what is being discussed may be possible in 10 or 20 years, when I am in my nineties....LOL.. :))
    That could put us close to the same age. I expect it faster than that. maybe 5 to 10 years but possible now if they just wanted to do it bad enough.

My first choice would be two SD UHSII as it would simplify logistics with my other cameras, but I would rather have two XQD than one of each because (in bckup mode) I would at least get some benefit from their speed.
    Nikon put a noisy shutter in the D500 to get 10 FPS. I want to keep the quiet shutter of the D810 so maybe it can run just a little faster and XQD cards clear the buffer faster. I like SD UHSII but prefer the XQD in the pro grade camera and the SD UHSII where the files are a bit smaller. Just IMHO.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Two XQD cards, please. On my last shoot, I used a D810 in salt water spray and everything was great -- except the buffer clearing was slow. I love the 810, but a little added speed would be appreciated.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    As well as 54mP?
    Always learning.
    Yes! More MP and more speed. I will need a real reason to upgrade from my D810.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I was at a NPS meeting yesterday in the UK, playing with the D5 and D500 asked the question when is D820xxx coming, and got little response from Nikon Uk, just an hint maybe 2017. Not what I wanted to hear.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    Anyone really think it will be announced in 2016?
    I do. It is on list for 2017, unless something better comes out.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Look for it late this year (or early next year) with a 50+ mp sensor.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    After owning the D810 since it was released I think I'd personally rather have a D750 with a pro build like the D500, but with 28mp sensor, great ISO performance and quiet shutter of the D810, articulating screen, wifi. Basically an FX D500. I love my D810, but I'd probably sell it in a heart beat for a camera like that. I don't think a 50mp camera is really for me at least for the time being.
    After I get the D500 paid for and some time with it I plan to move to a FX, most likely the D820 or whatever they may call it. Time is on my side as it will take awhile to get the cash for this move.
    nek4life: what is with your desire for a 28mp sensor. Why not 24mp?

I can't quite give up my 36mp! :D But I'd take a hit on megapixels if I could get 2 more stops of cleaner ISO.
    edited March 2016
    nek4life said:

I can't quite give up my 36mp! :D But I'd take a hit on megapixels if I could get 2 more stops of cleaner ISO.
    That's the D750. Well, maybe one stop cleaner. Never compared.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    The D5 and D500 seem to be some sort of "breakthrough" on cleaner high ISO. We will know for sure when they are out and independently tested. Normally, replacement camera models produce a stop or less of better high ISO but these two new models seem to be producing more than one stop of better high iSO. However Nikon achieved this will most likely "trickle down" to less expensive models. Thus, I expect replacements for the D810, D750, D7200 to show similar significant gains if the megapixels stay the same. (If the D820 goes to 50+ megapixels, as I think it will, that may cancel out the increased high ISO.) I don't know if this "breakthrough" will "trickle down" to the entry level models such as the D3xxx series in DX or the D6xx series in FX because I don't know how costly it is to produce those gains. If it is just sensor technology and software it can be engineered into all new models without significant cost. But it is requires expensive hardware parts, such as memory or processing power it may not "trickle down" to the entry level DX or FX due to cost limitations for those models.

nek4life said:

That's the D750. Well, maybe one stop cleaner. Never compared.
    Does kind of sound like it doesn't it. I've considered trading "down" to the D750 and putting away the difference towards some glass. Only problem is I really like the pro build of the D810. That's why I'm hoping they release something better with D5/D500 tech in a year or so. If it's compelling enough I'll probably switch.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited March 2016

The D5 and D500 seem to be some sort of "breakthrough" on cleaner high ISO. ....... Normally, replacement camera models produce a stop or less of better high ISO but these two new models seem to be producing more than one stop of better high iSO. .....

No offense Donaldjose but there has never been a 1 stop / near 1 stop improvement in ISO performance over the years. We actually saw LESS THAN 1/10th stop improvement between models. L-) .

Copying what I wrote before :

D3s - ISO 3253 (2009)
    D4 - ISO 2965 (2012)
    D4s - ISO 3074 (2014)

Someone please factor in the Mp increase for me and we'll see what changed in 5-6 years.

and adding APS-C models

D7000 - ISO 1167 ( 2010 )
    D7100 - ISO 1256 ( 2013 )
    D7200 - ISO 1333 ( 2015 )

I wouldn't dream about that 1 stop difference :)
    Post edited by Paperman on
    edited March 2016
    Paperman said:

The D5 and D500 seem to be some sort of "breakthrough" on cleaner high ISO. ....... Normally, replacement camera models produce a stop or less of better high ISO but these two new models seem to be producing more than one stop of better high iSO. .....

No offense Donaldjose but there has never been a 1 stop / near 1 stop improvement in ISO performance over the years. We actually saw LESS THAN 1/10th stop improvement between models. L-) .

Copying what I wrote before :

D3s - ISO 3253 (2009)
    D4 - ISO 2965 (2012)
    D4s - ISO 3074 (2014)

Someone please factor in the Mp increase for me and we'll see what changed in 5-6 years.

and adding APS-C models

D7000 - ISO 1167 ( 2010 )
    D7100 - ISO 1256 ( 2013 )
    D7200 - ISO 1333 ( 2015 )

I wouldn't dream about that 1 stop difference :)
    I would be inclined to agree with you, but we should consider what we are reading one interpretation. These are the values that a certain reviewer (which one is it again) accepts as "satisfactory" performance.

What constitutes satisfactory is somewhat arbitrary. I would consider anything above about 400 on my D800 (so maybe 800 on a D4) as unsatisfactory, unless I am shooting street or candid, in which circumstance I will accept even more.

Now that said, if somebody considered ISO 2,400 satisfactory on the D7000, this same level of quality may in fact be a stop better on a later model. I doubt that the "level of improvement" is the same for every acceptable level of quality.

As an example, at low ISO we are likely not going to see significant improvements between generations. However, at higher ISOs, the software algorithms come into play. Software algorithms continue to improve and the faster processors can execute more complex algorithms. Consider for a moment that massive computer processing power that goes into processing an image. It amazes me that a D800 or D5 can process 5 or 14 images per second respectively.

When I consider this, I think it is credible that at higher ISOs, we may be seeing much more significant improvements than at lower ISOs. While I remains sceptical that the improvements are "a stop per generation", they may be significantly more than the specifications reported by Paperman at lower ISOs.

And if I can add my two bits, the real game changer for low light photography is not high ISO sensor performance, but VR. After playing around with my 24-70 2.8E VR for a couple of weeks which has Nikon's latest and most advanced iteration of VR, I am very impressed. I am sure that I am getting a 3 stop improvement consistently and occasionally a 4 stop improvement as Nikon's specs suggest.

An extra stop of VR performance swamps the improvements that sensor ISO performance achieved over two generations. Combined with the fact that I am a heavy tripod user, the above sensor ISO improvements amount to no more than rounding errors and I will ignore high ISO performance in my choice of sensors (cameras). This is one reason I chose the D800 for its high resolution over the D4 over its high ISO performance. The price was not even a consideration.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on