D850

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    My thought now is that I will have the D500 and the D820 as my pair. I think that could cover all the bases for me.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Ironheart: Yes, CX cannot be beaten when it comes to the total size and weight of a couple of bodies and lenses in a small bag. In my mind that total "bag of gear" argument is the best argument for using CX. Those CX lenses are beautifully small and light. Just be sure you won't be wanting to print any of the photos poster size.
    Amendment: A "perfect" pair for those who want to stay all FX (and don't care about the extra reach or reduced cost found in DX) could be a D5 and a D820. It is also possible one body does all you need so a "perfect" pair could be two of that same body (one for backup).
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    One reason I would like a second body is that I shoot with primes a lot. There are many situations where I am using two primes. Say my 50 and 85 or my 85 and 135 or my 20 and 24 or 28. Two D800s would be a dream.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Ironheart said, I can put 6 lenses, two bodies, and a bunch of gear into a 6lb camera bag. Try that with DX or FX ;)
    I can put my P900 with its 24-2000 lens at 32.3 oz plus a load of sandwiches in my small camera bag.
    Rodley Nature Reserve Leeds
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    paulr: Since you use a P900 how do you feel about the Nikon DL24-500?
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    edited March 2016
    @donaldejose , if you look at the digitalrev hands on review of the D5, the jpeg clear rate is ridiculous. i'm guessing 5 seconds to clear a 100shot fine jpeg buffer.
    if the D500 is similar, and i'm betting it is, i'm sure you'll be very happy (as far as the buffer goes)
    Post edited by starralazn on
    Donaldejose I bought it for the zoom reach at 1000MM The Images are incredible and the price £360 00. Nobody on this forum seems to rate this camera, I certainly do and the more I use it, the better it gets.My professional cameras and lenses are being left at home, well nearly. The longer the zoom the more care as to be taken, but nothing new there.I do find that some members tend to be negative about cameras they have never had personal experice of, and form an opinion from what they read on the internet.
    Nikon P900 Camera /Lens
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2016
    I am going to do a semi tantrum and say how can the D820 be part of any perfect pair when its spec is unknown and still very very undefined !!

It could be another 36 mp camera ie upgraded D810 with the upgraded AF and quad core Expeed. No more Pop Up flash. 8FPS.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I am going to do a semi tantrum and say how can the D820 be part of any perfect pair when its spec is unknown and still very very undefined !!

It could be another 36 mp camera ie upgraded D810 with the upgraded AF and quad core Expeed. No more Pop Up flash. 8FPS.

Could be.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Boy I miss that +1 button hearty.
    Always learning.
    edited March 2016
    I used the D820 as an example because I expect it to be out this year with the D5 AF system and a 50+mp sensor. I wouldn't worry too much about discussing a "mythical" D820 like discussing the "mythical D400" because this is the D820 thread after all. But if it makes you feel more comfortable just use the D810 in all my examples. The results will be the same. Until a replacement appears the D810 is the best Nikon DSLR for high megapixel shooting and it uses the "pro" control layout so it matches "perfectly" with a D500 or a D5.

paulr: the reach is amazing. But isn't that camera using a compact camera sensor? How big of an print can you make with it and how high can you go with ISO? In my experience I have not wanted to work with anything smaller than CX and not even with CX in anything other than good light.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    Yeah, we can't get ahead of ourselves. If we do, we can go to obviously absurd places, like the "D400 Zone".
    edited March 2016
    Donaldejose Yes to the first part Native is up to 6400 ISO but would not go above 3000 IS0. With the use of software like OnOne Perfect Resize, A3+ prints are still acceptable. Its not an all Fix camera but for the price and in good light conditions, it makes a day out with the camera a lot easier than carrying the heavy duty gear. Check out Flickr P900 page for examples https://www.flickr.com/groups/2751059@N20/
    Sorry to go off subject.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Thanks, much better photos than I thought could be achieved. Not quite totally irrelevant because the anticipated D820 is expected to have more megapixels which means smaller pixel size so the abilities of small pixel size smaller sensors in a way suggests what a 50+ FX sensor would be able to do or what limitations may exist as pixel density increases.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Funny thing is that the 'Mythical D400' was only mythical in it's name. The D500 named reality has turned out to be better than we dreamed so maybe the D820 will be all that Donald hopes it will be.
    Always learning.
    edited March 2016
    Right on!!! Let's hope so. It shouldn't be too hard if Nikon has a good 50+ mp sensor ready to release this year and I would think they would have to keep up with, or stay one step ahead of, Canon.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    I'm curious, is 50+Mpix really the #1 desire in a new D820? Would people be ok if getting 50+Mpix involved losing FPS or other features a la the 5DS, not to mention glass not being sharp enough and increased need for stability?

Or, would it be better to stay at 36Mpix (or maybe a more modest upgrade, e.g. 42Mpix), gain more in other areas, and have a more flexible camera?
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    edited March 2016
    They should include all the advances of the D5 and D500, maintain all the advances of the D810 and include the largest sensor that does not compromise frame rate. Since this is Nikon's top end camera for non-SANE (Sports, action, news, events) uses, they should charge accordingly.

Frame rate doesn't need to increase, as long as it does not go down. The quietness of the shutter should not be compromised.

If you want a cheaper camera, there are plenty of models with compromises. There should be no compromises with the D820.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    edited March 2016
    WestEndPhoto: Right on! And I think that is exactly what we will see out before the end of this year. I am sure Nikon wants a small mp bump above Canon.
    There is another possibility. As it stands now, the D810 is the perfect wedding camera because of its quiet shutter. I also note that it is now made in Thailand, meaning a production line in Japan is not at full capacity. Also, there is that unused "D900" placeholder.

They may make a modest upgrade to the D820. Something like the latest AF, flicker the reduction, modest resolution increase etc.

Then they may wow us with a truly spectacular D900. Think a D5 with a 72 megapixel sensor and some "Art Killer" lenses to go along with it.

I consider my previous scenario more likely. But I can't rule this one out.
    edited March 2016
    Great idea a D820 and a D900. By the way, if a D820 were to be made in Thailand that would reduce its cost of production. They don't really have to increase megapixels to have a desirable iteration of the D8xx body if they put in all the D5 components and cut the price to around $2,600. The same sensor as in the D810, or one slightly tweaked, along with the improved image handling software/hardware from the D6/D500 would likely produce improved high ISO out of the D810 sensor up to 25,600 ISO. Great idea to continue with a 36mp FX body (add the backlighted buttons) and add a 72 megapixel D900 body. Also, produce some Nikon lenses for high megapixel sensors such as the Otus and Sigma Art lines. Bring it on Nikon, it's all good! The better quality gear you make the more you will sell. I want to be irresistibly tempted to buy gear I really don't need because it is just so much better than the gear I have that I cannot resist the wow factor.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited March 2016

By the way, if a D820 were to be made in Thailand that would reduce its cost of production. They don't really have to increase megapixels to have a desirable iteration of the D8xx body if they put in all the D5 components and cut the price to around $2,600.

Sadly, I doubt cost savings will trickle down to us. :'(

Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member

... if a D820 were to be made in Thailand that would reduce its cost of production.

The D800 was made in Japan and the D810 in Thailand, so there already were cost savings, but the D810 buyers didn't get them.
    I hope Nikon used some of the saved money for better QA for the D500 :-)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited March 2016
    I get the whole weight thing..... My camera bag with all my lenses, the D810 and D700 with grips and a tripod tied to it is 48 pounds....... I am just not convinced that the quality of the P900 or the DL with the long zoom is going to give me a better picture than the D810 with an 83x full frame lens if Nikon ever made one. I mean they have the 1200-1700mm that is not made anymore..... but still.

I am not sure I am interested in a D820..... I am looking toward the D900..... 56mp and an 83x full frame optical zoom.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||