D850

Comments

• vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @WestEndFoto I am not sure that the Clark Vision article that I provided the link to was using a camera and lenses to determine the resolution of the film. DPReview and several other websites reference Rockwell's numbers as pure rubbish. I am not sure I would go to that extreme but I do believe that his numbers are wrong or misleading. @Donaldejose posed the question of "Kodachrome 25 = how many megapixels in digital camera?" on the old forum about 4 years ago and the consensus then was somewhere between 24 and 48. There is no math to support it but I believe that is the point that it's like comparing apples to oranges. There is not an equation that can provide a definitive answer. The issue that I have with Rockwell is that he presents this (an other) information that appears on the surface as factual but falls apart on examination and he has so many users that accept his information at face value that whether intentional or unintentional is leading them astray. He does have some good information and has probably helped numerous individuals develop their photography skills and I commend him for that. I think we have ventured far from the original post and suggest that we either start a new post or put this discussion to rest.

I do believe that people will buy the 72 mp D820 or D900, but I also believe that we are closing in on the limit to the number of pixels that can be stored on a FF sensor. The medium format sensor to me has a larger run way for more mp and optimization that would yield the resolution that the high mp seekers are looking to obtain. I have been an early adopter of the D800 and the D810 but I will not be one for the 72 mp D820 or D900. I hope Nikon upgrades the D810 with out increasing the mp count to 50 or more and provides improvement in low light performance, frame rate, etc..

I enjoy seeing your work and will be checking out your photos with a D820/D900 72 mp camera.

Regards,
    Victor
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My point was that an add-on part is no good. If the internal camera section in its entirety including software is Nikon and so long as you don't have to have external bits to fiddle with, then yes, it is a good idea.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    It is a market test. If there is any uptake, they can expand it. The Nikon 1 line has lots of zooms.
    Here is an interesting article on new platforms:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cant-scale-youll-fail-karen-webster?trk=hp-feed-article-title-channel-add

Bottom line is that you want an installed base to bring out a new platform. There is already an ecosystem of Apple, Android and Nikon 1 users. Connecting these together only requires one hardware device and one software application. This is why I think there is a lot of merit in this strategy.

As far as creating an in phone camera. Nikon has no secret sauce to allow it to compete in this space. They would just be another supplier to Apple, Samsung, HTC etc. There may be a business case for this, but I don't see any sizzle.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,798Member
    Don't need a new hardware device. Just Nikon software to make easy use of WiFI and NFC built into the new Nikon bodies. But you still have to carry two devices whereas most current cellphone users will only carry one device: their phone. For Nikon to expand into this market will require them to produce an in-cellphone camera module with software. Maybe Nikon has nothing better to offer than what already exists.
    The new Nikon bodies defeat the purpose as they will fit in a pocket. This solution will which is why a cellphone user might see it as an upgrade path.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2016
    What about a D5500 or D500 sensor in a DXOOne like camera? .. I mean a Nikon version of the apsc QX http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_ilce_qx1_review/

Part of a new mirrorless range of nikon cameras and lenses ? could be fun with the always connected Snapbridge ... and google glasses :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

It looks like Nikon has misdeed the standard refresh cycle for the D820. Anybody have any thoughts on why and when it will come out?
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    @WestEndFoto Probably too much other stuff on their plate for this year with D5, D500, D3400, DL problems, and probably working on mirrorless. I think Admin (or was it Thom?) suggested maybe early 2017.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What is the standard refresh cycle?
    BVS, that may be the case.

Ironheart, I thought exactly the same thing as I was writing the question. But the Dx series seems to be on a 4 year release cycle with the 2 year refresh. Pardon the interruption of the Sendai quake. The D810 was two years after the D800 so I was speculating that there might be a two year refresh cycle for the D8xx series as well.

But yes, there is no particular reason that there needs to be a refresh cycle.

The following link is interesting:

http://www.vistaview360.com/cameras/nikon_camera.htm
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    The primary reason I don't pony up and buy an 810 right now is - I believe it to be true - the imminent arrival of a successor. I'd like to upgrade to a body that I think will be current for a few years rather than purchase something at the end of its run. I'm not a slave to perceived obsolescence, my D2Xs being a good example of how long I tend to own and use a camera, but I at least want to get off on the right foot with any new gear I acquire.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

The primary reason I don't pony up and buy an 810 right now is - I believe it to be true - the imminent arrival of a successor. I'd like to upgrade to a body that I think will be current for a few years rather than purchase something at the end of its run. I'm not a slave to perceived obsolescence, my D2Xs being a good example of how long I tend to own and use a camera, but I at least want to get off on the right foot with any new gear I acquire.

I agree but I need to recover from the D500 purchase and am dreaming of another piece of glass before the D820 or whatever they chose to call it. So I can wait. I am a better keeper than trader or seller.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    If the D810 replacement shares the technology of the D5/D500 cameras I'll own it. I've become enamored with the IQ, color, AF, and touchscreen on the latest. So much so that the D810 has taken a backseat to the two. Tried playing with the D810 today (it's been a while) and I can see a tremendous difference in all the above. My D800 is already boxed and ready for eBay. Took photos of it last week to place the ad. Might have to do the same with the D810 now while it still holds a little value.
    edited October 2016
    :-) now you can probably understand how frustrated I have been with the Nikon colours all these years :-) I was spoiled by the Fiji S5pro :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Wow, I guess I must be color blind or at least color insensitive. I have always thought highly of Nikon's colors and have always trusted the auto WB of my Nikon DSLRs. After a lot of fussing with the in-camera WB settings, I have never seen the need to adjust the color temperature or tint of the default camera settings. On the other hand, I have seldom been satisfied with the auto WB of my Brand X cameras and have usually ended up adjusting them to render their color output Nikon-like. In particular, to my eyes Nikon does a good job on various shades of green. In Hawaii, the green colors of the foliage run from yellow green to blue green, and I would claim most of the cameras I've owned in the past have not seen that difference nearly as well as the Nikons.

PS: I'm not talking about the colors of scenes viewed through the OVF. I'm talking about the colors of my NEF raw images.
    edited October 2016
    Nikon colours are very good.. of course they are.. @BabaGanoush What Nikon DSLRs are you talking about?

I got my D610, and one of the reasons I got it, was the colours are really nice.. it has a nice classical (as in music) feel to it. Like a still life or a portrait painting. To me the new D500 tones down that feel and adds to it some layers of "water colour".

Now the new Fuji XT-2 that I have been looking at, still has that amazing fujifilm colours that my old S5Pro has, but improved! The "fuji colours" if I were to describe it would have the feel of a Monet painting. (Yeah, I still use my S5pro :-) but the XT-2 is tempting..)

While I am at it I would say the D610 colours are more "classical" like Rambrant, Rapheal or Vermeer.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As one who has a D4, D800E, and now a D500, and as I shoot Auto White Balance exclusively, RAW 14 bit lossless compressed, I do my color balance stuff in post with LR 5.7.

My experience suggests every color venue I have shot in can be handled in post.

Now, as to the cameras... the D500 is a great product, although high ISO is not so great, IMO. The improvement in the D8XX line will no doubt move toward the focus ability and quietness of the D500... again, my opinion only.
    Msmoto, mod
    Shoot in raw and make your own colours.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    +1 @WestEndFoto @Msmoto color is set during development not during capture :smile:
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    "Shoot in raw and make your own colors."

Of course, I use LR to adjust the scene to what I prefer, but if you shoot RAW + JPEG as I do, it's both nice if the colors of the two companion images match, and it also saves time in post-processing if the colors are pleasing straight out of the camera. Until recently this was a serious problem I had with Panasonic's MFT cameras: the colors of the ooc JPEGs did not come close to matching the colors of the raws.

"What Nikon DSLRs are you talking about?"

D7000, D800, and D7200. I started out with the Canon 450D + the superb 24-105mm lens, but switched to the D7000 because I preferred the Nikon menus and colors, at least that's what I told myself at the time. I'm sure a bit of nostalgia for the Nikon film camera I had when I was much younger helped to drive the switch.
    edited October 2016
    The colours from nikon cameras starting from the D7000 became "acceptable" to me :-) The ones that were "frustrating" for me were the D3/D700/D300/D90. they had this disconcerting "neon" glow about them that I found hard to remove.

The D600/D610 is/was a nice improvement in colours as well. and now the D500/D5 also has another nice increment.

Re: going raw then fix in post.. sure I do that.. but its like the Colour Gamut are picnic locations .. its like one location has nice paved walking paths to your fav spots and the other you need to bring a machete to clear a path to the spot.

• moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    edited October 2016

BVS, that may be the case.

Ironheart, I thought exactly the same thing as I was writing the question. But the Dx series seems to be on a 4 year release cycle with the 2 year refresh. Pardon the interruption of the Sendai quake. The D810 was two years after the D800 so I was speculating that there might be a two year refresh cycle for the D8xx series as well.

But yes, there is no particular reason that there needs to be a refresh cycle.

The following link is interesting:

http://www.vistaview360.com/cameras/nikon_camera.htm

It could be that there waiting up an exclusive deal the Sony camera division have on the 42 MP sensor to end or indeed got a different potentially higher resolution sensor to be available.

It could also I think be that they do not feel that threatened by the 5D mk 4, slight advantages to Canon in AF and FPS but still not equal in sensor performance, slightly superior video but Nikon don't really depend on that market much anyway so aren't likely to lose many users. The same with the newer Sony cameras, the 42 MP sensor isn't exactly a massive leap in resolution, the a99 mk2 still has an APSC AF unit.

Honestly I think Nikon would actually be fine if they stuck with the same 36 MP sensor and tweeked the performance slightly again. That's enough for 95% of the market and I suspect a lot of the pro's shooting FF for ultra high resolution have been migrating back to MF anyway as Pentax, Hassleblad and now Fuji offer the 44x33 CMOS sensor a lot cheaper. The demand is IMHO much more for improved action performance, the D5 AF sensor and a boost in FPS to 6 or 7 would I think please more people(especially D700 owners who haven't upgraded).

Keeping the D5 AF unit out of any other FF body for at least a year obviously has its advantages in terms of sales as well.

Post edited by moreorless on
  • Hold on to your socks, everybody: its coming. And soon. I just laid down my money for a D810, finally. I guarantee you it will be announced by January now. This is the way my life works.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks, Nikon needed a push.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.