NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    Good points WEF. I plan to try a Z6 primarily for available light portraits to see if WYSIWYG is helpful to me and something I like using. I would think it would be as I have used live view for portraits and like it for composition and WYSIWYG but it has just too much delay. A Z6. rather than a Z7 or Z8, is a much less expensive way to see how the new Nikon Mirrorless body performs. In my opinion neither the Z6 nor the Z7 can replace the D500, D850 or D5 for their intended and focused purposes but that is not why I would be trying one in the first place. However, in a year or so a Z8 may be able to replace the D850. While I would like eye AF I don't think it is generally important when shooting portraits at f4 and above. A software "fix" to give us eye AF on the Z6 and Z7 may slow down performance but Nikon should do it if they can and let the user choose whether or not to accept that trade off. If the user doesn't want the slow down they can elect to use one of the existing modes rather than eye AF. Eye AF would be used when shooting portraits and as long as the subject is not moving much a slower AF performance may be acceptable. Anyway, eye AF is just one example. I do hope Nikon copies Tesla in providing updates which add new features to the mirrorless bodies.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon also needs to fix how tracking works, it’s needlessly time consuming. By the time you get it turned on the subject is gone. Why does it not work like phase detect on a DSLR, whereby you simply switch to AF-C and put a focus point on what you want an go? Why the extra button presses to enter tracking mode at all. It always bugged me on Nikon compact cameras, and most reviewers as well, yet Nikon persists on doing it this way. Maybe there are patents preventing them for doing it differently?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Anyone get any notices of Z6 shipment? Adorama has had my FTZ "in progress" for a couple days now but my Z6 is still listed as backordered.
    My Z6 from Adorama is backordered also.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited November 2018
    I plan on adding the Z6 with 24-70 S lens and FTZ adapter as soon as the availability reaches a normal level. Price looks about right to me. I do not lust for more than 24 mp. The video does look very, very good which is incredibly important to me. Mine will come from B&H as
    I trust them. For a general carry around camera it looks ideal. I still wonder how it will perform compared to the D500 and my personal favorite, the D7500.
    I think we will see a lot of Z6 reviews on Z6 here in the next month or so?
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I love the Z7/24-70f4 combination. It is small enough, fast enough, and sharp enough. It is my first choice travel camera/lens. Now, about my second choice for a travel medium-telephoto lens. A 70-200 f4 would be a small light tele-zoom but it does not exist. What small, light, travel tele-zoom, would you suggest for a z7 or z6?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    rmp said:

I love the Z7/24-70f4 combination. It is small enough, fast enough, and sharp enough. It is my first choice travel camera/lens. Now, about my second choice for a travel medium-telephoto lens. A 70-200 f4 would be a small light tele-zoom but it does not exist. What small, light, travel tele-zoom, would you suggest for a z7 or z6?

What about the FX 70-300 AF-P? It's smaller, lighter, and half the price of the 70-200 f/4, is sharp throughout the zoom range, has electronic aperture and stepper motors for video, has focus by wire like the Z lenses, and you get 450mm in crop mode.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    BVS said:

rmp said:

What about the FX 70-300 AF-P? It's smaller, lighter, and half the price of the 70-200 f/4, is sharp throughout the zoom range, has electronic aperture and stepper motors for video, has focus by wire like the Z lenses, and you get 450mm in crop mode.
    I think that you will be disappointed in that lens compared to the 24-70 f/4 Z mount. I would think about the 70-200 f/4 or wait until the z mount equivalent comes out. Unfortunately, it is not on the roadmap yet.
    I’ve been using the AF-P lens (FX version) on DX and am happy with it. Sure, a Z 70-200 will likely be better but as you said it’s not even on the roadmap yet. I’ll be using the 70-300 on my Z6 - I’ll let folks know how they compare.

There is a F mount 70-200 F4, right? I haven’t really heard much about it.

Looks like my FTZ shipped and my Z6 is in progress. Don’t understand why they would ship them separately but that’s Adorama’s business, I guess.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Wow you haven't heard about the 70-200m f/4 ???? Rent it and you put all other 70-whatever away.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks all. I just read Hogan's review on the 70-200 f4 and he recommend it like you did. Thanks again.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    edited November 2018
    Eh I'm happy with the AF-P lens. Sharpness seems fine (at least on DX, haven't tried FX yet) and it's already paid for. The lightning fast AF is really nice too. If I was to get a 70-200 it would probably be a 2.8 since I find that extra speed really handy for shooting kids sports at night.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The Nikon 70mm-200mm F/2.8 is a really great lens.

Denver Shooter
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

The Nikon 70mm-200mm F/2.8 is a really great lens.

Denver Shooter

I like it to.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2018
    Have yet to try a Nikon 70-200mm that I haven't liked. Used several copies of both the G VRI (rented) and G VRII (rented and own). Still if you don't need F2.8 or cannot afford it, I'm sure the F4 is nice. I also used a Canon 70-200mm F4, great lens, terrible camera. :wink:
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As the F4 is sharp and saturated at F4 and I don't use F2.8, I am very happy with it. Much smaller and lighter plus incredible VR - I can hand hold 1/15th @200mm.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited November 2018
    the 70-200f4 is awesome and great for video too. I forgot the the technical term that it keeps the focus point when you zoom. you can also add a collar for tripod mount. overall its a great lens.

Edit Parfocal Zoom lens

My Z6 from Adorama is backordered also.

I ordered mine on the 15th. Partially shipped ( i believe the FTZ is out of stock or didn't make it to shipping) UPS says package is 7.70 lbs so I think im getting the Z6 in a few days

Also, if anybody wants one my local dealer probably has stock. no tax outside of Indiana.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    I shied away from the Z7 partly because I wanted bird photography capacity and that high price ..I bought a D850. I have since seen Mark Smith on U tube doing bird photography with the z7 and it seems with the correct technique which differs from a DSLR its fine ...worth a watch .

Got my Z6 yesterday. I haven't used it much, but so far am pretty impressed. It feels great in my hands, and the size with the 24-70 is very nice - noticeably smaller than my D7200. EVF looks nice, although I would not say that it is indistinguishable from an OVF.

Took it to one of my favorite places today at lunch and did some low light shooting. AF hunted a little but was still acceptable on the adapted Sigma 14-24 ART. It was noticeably better with the 24-70 Z mount lens.

Tripod use is an issue. I have to put the mount on the FTZ when using adapted lenses. That makes switching to native lenses when using a tripod a real PITA - there is so much stuff to swap around that I feel like I need a couple more hands. I'm sure I'll get more used to it, but first time was pretty nerve wracking. Also really missing the use of the old ML-L3 IR remote. I put it in a exposure delay mode but still would prefer hands free shutter actuation. Maybe next time I'll try to use my phone.
    edited November 2018
    I got mine yesterday. To early to make a report but I can say that its definitely better than fuji x series even though I liked it but returned due to slow af, shutter lag and seconds to turn on.

Focus is pretty accurate and pin focus is great for eye focus. I set the record button to zoom in and I can verify the eye is in focus. Crisp shots.

I am looking at options with Promedia Gear for the universal plates. They have small plates that will fit the body but the universal plate fits and you can turn it into a L plate with the left side (optional).

Kirk has an L bracket for the FTZ. I'm waiting for my FTZ to arrive so I can test my setup.

So far my shutter lag has disappeared that I have always had an issue with.
    This will replace my Nikon Df that I used a split screen with. For ai-s lens with EVF focus peaking it make so much sense if you are into the older lens collection.
    So pardon my ignorance but how do these universal plates/ L brackets work? Do they take the place of the tripod disconnect thing?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, my Z6 arrived yesterday and so far it is very user friendly.... and at my age they have to be or I cannot figure it all out. The important issue for me was access to the menus... they have done that well, IMO. I believe the focusing is not quite as snappy as my D500, but have not tested this out on racing vehicles.
    Msmoto, mod
    My Z6 also arrived. I would say Nikon did a great job with build quality, familiar ergonomics, ease of transition from a Nikon DSLR, and size. I am very interested to see the size of S glass in a f.28 70-200 zoom. The FTZ works great with a very solid connection between the body and the non-S glass. I wanted the Z6 for available light or constant light portraits at higher ISOs. We will see how that works this weekend when I expect to be shooting some with it. I do not expect to use it with fast moving subjects.
    edited November 2018
    mhedges said:

So pardon my ignorance but how do these universal plates/ L brackets work? Do they take the place of the tripod disconnect thing?

Check out their universal plates website here

And nikon specific here

Universal are for any camera but they do plates for specific cameras just like kirk and RRS. The Z6 and Z7 body plates are in production.

I use the universal plate and its modular to add more accessories like L bracket, flash bracket, and my favorite quick release for a harness. It solves getting extra items, you just add and remove as needed.

The PX1 should fit the z6/z7 but its not modular.

You would want the PLX3x L-Bracket for mirror less camera as the side part is smaller. I have the larger side part and it works and fits but its a little too big.

I'm not affiliated with them but they are local to me and you can also buy their items at bnh and adorama