NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    "WOULD NOT WORK WITH TAMRON 100-400" crap... is this just as of now? or do you think a firmware upgrade would work in the future ...? How did you get this detail?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Did Marsel van Oosten say the Z cameras do not need Auto-Focus Fine tuning?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Theoretically mirrorless cameras shouldn’t need AF fine tune since they use the actual imaging sensor to focus. As opposed to a DSLR which uses a separate focus system so there could be some offset. But it wouldn’t shock me to find that there were still some circumstances where AF fine tune would help.

As far as the Tamron - any fix would have to come from Tamron’s end. I would not expect any Nikon firmware update to fix it.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    And since it was reported that even a certain manual focus lens doesn't work, that issue which is unrelated to focus may be the Tamron problem, or at least one of the problems.

My guess is that the camera doesn't know the len's maximum aperture, and doesn't know how much to stop it down during exposure.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Hearty fisher ….why do you need this aggressive "Crap" If you read my hands on review you would know I tested a 100-400 on a Z7 and the rep knew it would not work before I put it on ….yes a Tamron firmware update may fix it
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    snakebunk said:

@Photobug: Thanks for the report! Did you have time to get any feeling about the position of the af-on button, is it placed comfortably under the thumb?

The AF button position is good but not great. My thumb kept falling on the "DSP" button. I contribute this to the fact that the width of the body is narrower than my D750 and my thumb is use to falling on that button. My hunch is that after using this camera for a while it will become second nature so don't take my initial impression to heart.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2018
    To Photobug: I have been thinking maybe of getting a revised D750. Apparently the mirrorless landslide has slowed DSLR down. My next Nikon will be yet another D7500. I like mine even better than my D500. The Z Camera I would be interested in is the Z6 and the 24-70. Do you think your D750 will get a Nikon update? How would you rate the D750 you have compared to the Z7 and 24-70 you saw? I hope this is a fair question!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member

Hearty fisher ….why do you need this aggressive "Crap" If you read my hands on review you would know I tested a 100-400 on a Z7 and the rep knew it would not work before I put it on ….yes a Tamron firmware update may fix it

"Crap" = darn it = messes with my gear path.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited September 2018
    as in Holy Crap ok you are forgiven !!

\problem is I got to buy the unit to plug it into to do the upgrade and I just sold it !!!
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    DaveyJ said:

To Photobug: I have been thinking maybe of getting a revised D750. Apparently the mirrorless landslide has slowed DSLR down. My next Nikon will be yet another D7500. I like mine even better than my D500. The Z Camera I would be interested in is the Z6 and the 24-70. Do you think your D750 will get a Nikon update? How would you rate the D750 you have compared to the Z7 and 24-70 you saw? I hope this is a fair question!

DaveyJ - At this time I want to stay with the DSLR line and give the mirrorless time to mature one update before considering the change. The representative side stepped my question about a D750 update so who know. At this time I really expect the D750 will get an update.

The Z7 with a 24-70 f4 is a whole lot smaller and lighter than my D750 with my 24-70 f2.8. I really like the added speed the f2.8 provides. If I got the Z7a later would have to get the F mount adapter and want to see how that adapter and my 70-200 f2.8 and 300 f4 and 200-500 f5.6 works on the adapter.

I want to see a lot of comparison photos with that F mount adapter and the shapness of the 24-70 f4 lens. I don't want to have two 24-70s in my bag and I want to see how the 24-70 f2.8 lens feels like on the Z6 and Z7.

My gut tells me that the D6 comparison against the D760 or D750 is going to be a comparison that a lot of people will read.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    We should have one (or even two) more generations of DSLRs before they become extinct or special purpose systems. That means the D750 should be a pretty sure bet for an update to a D760 in the very near future. The D610 is also due for an update this year but Nikon may drop it. As it stands the Z6 costs $500 more than a D610 and that may be too small a price advantage to keep selling the D6xx line. The D5 may get a D5s or D5x upgrade late this year or in 2019 but the D6 in 2020 with a new sensor and a more powerful processor may be mirrorless if Nikon can produce one which operates as good as a DSLR for sports and photojournalism. If things like EVF delay and blackout can be reduced in a mirrorless D6 to as short as OVF delay and blackout in a DSLR D6 the mirrorless design will lose its disadvantages compared to a DSLR design and offer many advantages such as faster fps and silent shooting and image review in the EVF, etc. As to the D3xxx and D5xxx series the cost of production will be a big factor. If they can be produced in mirrorless cheaper than a DSLR design they may switch over soon but if they are more expensive to produce they may not switch over soon. I would think it would be more costly to add the EVF than the money you save removing the mirror box and OVF. Maybe will will see a Z3 and Z5 series with DX sensors. I do expect we will see a Z8 body with a proper grip and two card slots. That will be the one most of us will want to have.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @Photobug: Thanks for the info on the af-on button!
    From what I saw the black out was little more than a flicker though I guess at slow shutter speeds it would become a blackout.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    That blackout time seems great! Really usable. So different than Live View blackout time.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Gosh, received a package from B & H today.... but they left out the camera.... LOL I have the memory card, L-bracket, front UV filter, and Optec straps to connect my BlackRapid strap... but no Z6. I guess it will get here when it gets here.

I read McNally's comment on one card slot, realized exactly what he was talking about. Some of us used to shoot film using cartridges we reloaded from 100 foot long reels, changed these out rapidly when on assignment.... one card slot does not seem a problem at present.
    Msmoto, mod
    Msmoto said:

Gosh, received a package from B & H today.... but they left out the camera.... LOL I have the memory card, L-bracket, front UV filter, and Optec straps to connect my BlackRapid strap... but no Z6. I guess it will get here when it gets here.

I read McNally's comment on one card slot, realized exactly what he was talking about. Some of us used to shoot film using cartridges we reloaded from 100 foot long reels, changed these out rapidly when on assignment.... one card slot does not seem a problem at present.

You don't know how hard I worked to get the delivery man to open the box and give the Z6 and leave the rest in the box for you. That cost me a pretty penny. :) >:)
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Now that all major players (at least from a consumer standpoint) are pushing into mirrorless I think as @donaldejose indicated it'll probably be a couple of update cycles before mirrorless is in the hands of some element of the masses. Just like there are people who still want to shoot film, there will always be people who wish to stick to DSLR. That said, I just watched a video of someone shooting a Sony a6500 (mirrorless crop sensor) with a Mamiya 90mm f/1.9 lens attached -- I actually thought the pictures looked better than from her her Canon 5DMk iii. Point is, one can do serious work with the mirrorless choices Right Now and not even wait for future renditions if they choose.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    @Photobug: thanks for your answer. I did try a D750 and decided for how I use them, the D7500 is better. I use theD500 often enough. But my grandson usually uses that. We have a big race coming up at our place and we are actually hiring a pro photographer, Bob Johnston who is well known in off road motorcycle events as one of the best. He usually uses Canon but at this race he is shooting both Canon and his new Nikon D500. I myself would love to get a D850 and expect to get a Z6 and a 24-70 zoom lens when I get lucky and get some money owed to me for farm work. In this business I am tremendously influenced by Weather. Right now I need the best Nikon’s I have and we are using some pretty exoensive aerial gear. But the rain is driving us down And maybe Florence coming next etc.!

But realize I am still talking price here. Just farm taxes alone take much of my cash, survival seems to require being more cautious than in my younger and higher income years. But the Z6 and zoom lens sure look good to me, especially I admit the video. I sure believe Nikon and you all at Nikon Rumors have been a real help in selecting the right cameras that I can afford. Last comment. I clearly note that the greatest SD card errors are caused by deleting photos in camera. I do it all the time. I might take twenty pics. Then chimp, and ditch at least 15. Luckily I get almost no card failures. But I am pushing the envelope. Plus, I shoot all the time in JPEG fine, large.
    Just because in the old days we put all our eggs in one basket does not mean that we should still do it so for me its two cards.,
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Me too Pistnbroke. Well said. Today is a different standard. I will say, however, that XQD cards are very reliable. Just not reliable enough for something that I would consider critical, like a vacation for me - or a wedding for others.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    From everything I have seen practically speaking you don't have to worry about data getting corrupted/lost with XQD cards. But you still have to worry about physical loss or accidental deletion etc. That's where the second slot would be nice.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    When the camera is in a medium or high theft risk situation, I keep the backup card in my wallet or give it to my wife.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,345Member
    /interrupting this thread for a special message -

Hey Msmoto and any other folks in the Carolinas or East Coast

Be safe with this storm coming in!

/we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Nice one Ian.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Mhedges, that is actually the bigger reason that I have second cards. Card failure is a reason, but the second biggest.